Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM #1
Christopher Hass

Paintball F8MOUS hardcover photo book. Last chance to buy, shipping now!

This post was previously a News Up advertisement and has since expired. The content of this post has been masked due to the expiration. If you would like to revive the contents of this post click here to add News Ups to this thread.

Advertisement
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM #2
Christopher Hass

Paintball F8MOUS hardcover photo book. Funded and closed!

There are still a few copies left! Buy one here: https://paintball-f8mous.backerkit.c...eorders?fbclid

Exactly 20 years after its debut, the original team behind P8NT Magazine is getting the band back together one last time.

F8MOUS is a limited edition, hardcover photo book collecting hundreds of photos, stories and interviews from 1999 to 2004 -- five years that saw the transition from the woods to airball fields, the introduction of electronic guns, the war between the leagues and the creation of X-Ball, paintball on TV and the emergence of high-paid, superstar players.

Chris Dilts, Dan Mouradian and myself are producing the book, with help from Dan Napoli, Matt Marshall, Aaron Moore and Sara Duckwall. We're a bit rusty, but it's an all-star team.

This project is a labor of love all of us, and we're betting there is enough interest to at least cover the cost of a small print run. For the next 30 days we're running a crowdfunding campaign to fund printing and production.

If you were someone who lived this era of paintball, or if you're a player who wants to see the story behind how the game evolved into the sport it is today, this is for you.

You can check it out at: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...intball-f8mous

We'll also be posting a ton of photos and behind the scenes stuff over the next 30 days at:

https://www.instagram.com/paintballf8mous/

And finally: Got a favorite moment from 1999-2004? Let us know what you want to see in the book.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:10 PM #3
Simon
INCEPTION

Simon is a Mega Moderator
Simon works for a Paintball manufacturer
Simon is playing at Living Legends IX
Simon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Simon owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Hass View Post
As promised, we just posted an update on the Kickstarter campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2727231

You can head over there to see the full update with photos, but here's the full text:
Update on release date + 2 big announcements

Apologies to everyone for the recent radio silence—we’ve been heads down at work on the project for a while, but we wanted to take a quick break to give you an update on timing, as well as two big additions to the book.

The response to F8MOUS has been incredible, and it's grown into a bigger and more important project for all of us than we'd ever expected. It's also made us determined to produce a book that's worthy of your support.

Over the past months we've reconstructed digital files for thousands of pages of P8NT Magazine, re-edited more than 100,000 words of articles and interviews, and created high-resolution scans of more than 10,000 photos. We chose to make this book because of how incredibly rich, exciting, and important this era of paintball was, and there’s no shortage of material to draw from.

But as the book has grown in size and ambition, it's become clear that our original production schedule was simply too short. In speaking with potential printers, we realized we’d have to make a choice between cutting corners and getting books printed sooner, or waiting longer for higher production values—including better paper and printing techniques, higher resolution photos, and a book that will hold up under heavy reading and last for years to come.

When we began this project, we knew there would be hard choices we'd have to make along the way, and we agreed from the beginning that our guiding principle would be to make whatever decisions were best for the book itself.

Given that, we've made the hard decision to delay the release of the book until the fall of 2020.

We plan to wrap production and send the book to the printer by June. It will likely take two to three months for the printer to produce and deliver all the books to us, at which point they'll be packaged up and shipped to backers by October 31 at the very latest.

Everyone will have a chance to update your shipping address or adjust your order before the books ship. And if for any reason you prefer a refund to waiting, just email us at paintballf8mous@gmail.com and we'll take care of it right away.

We intentionally chose a new schedule that we believe is achievable—no one wants there to be any additional delays from this point on.

But we also made a decision from the outset to invest all of the money raised back into the production of the book itself. That we reached (and then exceeded) even our stretch goal means that we can now announce two big additions:

1) We're expanding the book to 400 total pages. There is simply too much good material, and we don't want to leave any of it out. By adding pages, we'll also be able to include some of the unpublished pieces we've uncovered, including:

• An unpublished, early profile of Renick Miller, Bad Boyz Toys and the Chicago scene, written by Matt Marshall and with photos by Chris Dilts.

• An unpublished interview and photos of John Gregory, founder of JT USA and one of the true godfathers of tournament paintball, conducted in San Diego just a few months before he sold the company and disappeared from paintball.

2) The Lost Film: In going through the photo archive, we recovered more than 150 rolls of film that were shot during the final part of the 2004 season but never developed. Not only are these photos unpublished, they've never been seen by anyone—even us. The effort and expense of having this film developed is considerable, but we've decided to move forward with processing all 150+ of these lost rolls so that they can be included in F8MOUS.

These are the final P8NT Magazine photos ever made, and they're from a crucial point in this era of paintball: the moment NXL players and teams were first allowed to compete in the NPPL Super 7, when the best players in the world were able to go head-to-head again after having been split apart for more than a year.

We hope you'll agree that the chance to add more pages, more photos, and higher production values is worth the wait.

Moving forward, we'll provide updates on the status of the book at least once a month between now and when backers receive their copies. And as always, we’ll be available to answer any questions you might have.

We recognize that any delay is a disappointment, and we appreciate your patience in waiting for the book to come together. In actuality, this is a project that began all the way back in the summer of 1998, and F8MOUS represents the culmination of a long and winding journey for all of us.

We want this to be a book you're excited to hold and experience not just when first receive it, but also five, ten, and twenty years from now.

Thanks again for all your support,

—Christopher Hass, Chris Dilts, Dan Mouradian, Dan Napoli and the rest of the F8MOUS team

Way cool! Can't wait to see it!

Last edited by John : 03-21-2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: adding updated on first page
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:20 PM #4
joshorion

has been a member for 10 years
Pledged!
joshorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:30 PM #5
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
I bought one.

My one claim to paintball fame is that I was the very first subscriber to P8NT Magazine back when they first launched. I didn't know any of them and I was just a kid living in the deep South. I later advertised with them when I worked for PMI. I was also lucky enough to get to know them and even play on the same team as many of them years later, but I never stopped being impressed by the magazine. I still have a full of them.

Most importantly, I can now use my last P8NT pin because I know it will be replaced.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:39 PM #6
SmArTpArTs#5
New England

Way cool!
SmArTpArTs#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:59 PM #7
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Old 07-30-2019, 01:02 PM #8
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John supports Empire
John is All In
Old P8NT pin installed and ready for ICC for real now.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM #9
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I bought one.

My one claim to paintball fame is that I was the very first subscriber to P8NT Magazine back when they first launched. I didn't know any of them and I was just a kid living in the deep South. I later advertised with them when I worked for PMI. I was also lucky enough to get to know them and even play on the same team as many of them years later, but I never stopped being impressed by the magazine. I still have a full of them.

Most importantly, I can now use my last P8NT pin because I know it will be replaced.
Looking to sell any issues? I have a complete set of every single magazine since 1998 except P8NT
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:07 PM #10
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John supports Empire
John is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
Looking to sell any issues? I have a complete set of every single magazine since 1998 except P8NT
Holy crap. Really?

Sorry, but not planning to sell. The Kickstarter had a couple complete sets for sale though.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:24 PM #11
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Holy crap. Really?

Sorry, but not planning to sell. The Kickstarter had a couple complete sets for sale though.
Haha yeah, either from direct subscription or buying up literally any and every collection that went for sale on here and eBay. P8NT issues are always very elusive though, especially the early ones.

I like collecting but I dont have $2000 to spend on the full set haha.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:28 PM #12
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Chris Dilts
Just want to give Chris some kudos, he's a big inspiration on my work and he is, IMO, one of the most influential photographers that graced the sport.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM #13
CCL MikeT
Tri-City Extreme

CCL MikeT supports Cereal Killerz 2
CCL MikeT owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Can't wait!

Capital Combat Zone- Located in Troy NY
CCL MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM #14
brando247

Very cool. Pledged. Hoping this project comes to life. Such an awesome concept.
brando247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:14 PM #15
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
 plays in the NXL
This is awesome. Can't wait to see it. I hope it goes through

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:26 PM #16
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
P8nt is the only magazine that caught the flavor of the sport.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:37 PM #17
p8ntballa2k

p8ntballa2k is a founding member
p8ntballa2k owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
p8ntballa2k owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMJoker View Post
P8nt is the only magazine that caught the flavor of the sport.
^ Tournament paintball culture for sure. It was the magazine I wanted to show my non-paintball friends.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:48 PM #18
GLC
I make baby Jesus cry

GLC is a Supporting Member
GLC is a founding member
Pledged! Strange to think that 1999 was 20 years ago.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 PM #19
kapa o pango24
Cure FA

kapa o pango24 helped look for balloons
kapa o pango24 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
kapa o pango24 is an NCPA player
Love it! What a throwback!

-----------------------
ISO Gold Darq Marq
kapa o pango24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:34 PM #20
FreakinJB

I'm on board
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 PM #21
pinky
Vintage Paintball

pinky is a founding member
pinky is a Professional paintball player
pinky is an Ultimate field/store owner
 plays in the NXL
Done. Love it.

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.