Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 12-19-2020, 04:44 PM #85
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm5n6 View Post
Revo was based out of taneytown md and the baltimore area since like 2008-2009. around the time the 187 merged happed is when it got split up between taneytown and up at fox4. I believe the team now doesnt really have a home field but just has connections to practice where it benefits the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
By east coast teams I mean the Mid Atlantic region essentially since the majority of population is there for paintball players.

Damage is Florida/South.

Ive been playing on the East coast for nearly 20 years and have not physically seen the Revo pro team at a field since they were in the low divisional, no idea where they play or practice, all the times Ive been at Topgun I never have seen them outside of a few of them at classic events.

LVL deff not east coast

TMG deff not east coast.

And NRG is quite new and seems pretty much limited to a single field and location as a team. Most Mid Atlantic players in the major zones of Jersey and Maryland wont really drive 5 hours to see them.

The major east coast paintball hub of NJ/MD hasnt had a pro team in a long time and this region in general is a dead zone for rising up the ranks anymore because there is basically no one to get in tournaments above D3 around here, and no pro teams consistently out to play, learn, and get noticed by.
Off topic but Revo is most likely, and it’s a high probability, that they’ll be top 3 next year
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2020, 04:45 PM #86
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad- Division View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
I live in Chicago and compared to the west coast and east coast, the Midwest is hands down the weakest area for paintball in the country. I don’t know what it is, can’t blame it on the weather because the upper half of the east coast gets bad weather. Transitioning from indoor fields to outdoor fields was always a struggle back in the day. You’d spend the entire winter in the ghetto, practicing at indoors chicago land paintball where there’s fist fights and drugs, where you can’t communicate well, no wind to practice with so once you hit the fields, playing with any sort of wind is a huge throwoff, it’s really different. Not to mention the turf was nearly jet black due to all the oil. You needed ice skates to play in that place.
That is how it is now, the MW has produced some of the most EPIC teams and players. I DO AGREE, I want to help rebuild the MW and I was doing what I could to make that happen.
I really do agree with what nick said, it is a lack of program in the Midwest that’s the issue
Old 12-19-2020, 08:20 PM #87
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tweeter4 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
I really do agree with what nick said, it is a lack of program in the Midwest thatís the issue
Its because there isn't anymore people in the Midwest willing to spend 100k+ a year just to have their best players stolen away every single offseason. If the NXL could fix the issue with players being stolen so easily, pro teams would prosper.

where were you, the day the forums died.
tweeter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 PM #88
paintballer3

paintballer3 helped look for balloons
paintballer3 posts videos on PbNation
I wish you would have to live withen x miles of the team's city. Your team can claim any business

Also I wish they moved to regional devisions like NFL and World cup was the play offs of those divisions.
paintballer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:49 AM #89
neweraballer76
40oz Casualty

neweraballer76 plays in the PSP
neweraballer76 supports Team VICIOUS
neweraballer76 plays in the APPA D3 division
I think one thing that’s hurting the building of teams and programs is the ranking system.

Recently there was a very strong regional team in St Louis that won the MSXL in every X ball division they had over 3 years. After that they were all ranked up to D2 but when they had only played 2 D3 NXL events in that time, both of which they didn’t do great at. Now you have a team of D2 ranked players who’s only option to play together is the NXL, who have yet to preform well at the D3 NXL level.

How do you expect teams to hang on when they are forced into a division that in all respects, have no reason to be playing?

These regional D3 events are by no means on par with the NXL and should not be weighted the same. Wether that means there needs to be a difference between regional and National D3 or something else, something needs to be done and reconfigured.

DIRTLIFE
neweraballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:30 PM #90
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by neweraballer76 View Post
I think one thing that’s hurting the building of teams and programs is the ranking system.

Recently there was a very strong regional team in St Louis that won the MSXL in every X ball division they had over 3 years. After that they were all ranked up to D2 but when they had only played 2 D3 NXL events in that time, both of which they didn’t do great at. Now you have a team of D2 ranked players who’s only option to play together is the NXL, who have yet to preform well at the D3 NXL level.

How do you expect teams to hang on when they are forced into a division that in all respects, have no reason to be playing?

These regional D3 events are by no means on par with the NXL and should not be weighted the same. Wether that means there needs to be a difference between regional and National D3 or something else, something needs to be done and reconfigured.
They need to make the ranking system so that you have a regional rank and a national rank. Your regional rank should never be able to be higher than the highest division you have played, even if the points are above that. There is no reason a player should be able to win 3 D4 events and now they are stuck playing all NXL in D3 or one of the very few d3 regional events when they have never once in their life played a D3 before.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:16 PM #91
neweraballer76
40oz Casualty

neweraballer76 plays in the PSP
neweraballer76 supports Team VICIOUS
neweraballer76 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
They need to make the ranking system so that you have a regional rank and a national rank. Your regional rank should never be able to be higher than the highest division you have played, even if the points are above that. There is no reason a player should be able to win 3 D4 events and now they are stuck playing all NXL in D3 or one of the very few d3 regional events when they have never once in their life played a D3 before.
Agreed. If you win a D4 regional series or do so well in a year, youíre done with all regional D4 but can play NXL D4, same for D3. This would help teams go over the long term and make more national teams in the end (if they choose to play nationally). If teams win and decide to not move on to the national stage, thatís on them.

DIRTLIFE
neweraballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:26 PM #92
dannypizza

No pro teams consistently around yes, but I did see revo a few times this year in New Jersey, Practicing and competing in 7 mans. Also there's 5 semi
Pro teams in just jersey now. And another 2-3 in the Maryland area as well. Marc a now pro player was taken from the jesters last year. And I've seen players move up the ranks to advance to the semipro level. At least theres definitely some progression going on up to semipro regularly. And if people really are stunting on those teams I'm sure they'd be getting noticed enough to be scouted into a higher team no? Just think the northeast is definitely on the rise
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Humm...

Tampa Bay Damage
New York Extreme
Baltimore Revo
NRG Elite
LVL (Stretch to call east coast?)
TMG Outlaws (Stretch to call east coast?)

Now, if you said Northeast and then maybe "In the top 4" you'd have an argument - but I'd say that 30%+ of the pro teams are on the east coast - if you take out the two stretch teams you're at 20%.

By east coast teams I mean the Mid Atlantic region essentially since the majority of population is there for paintball players.

Damage is Florida/South.

Ive been playing on the East coast for nearly 20 years and have not physically seen the Revo pro team at a field since they were in the low divisional, no idea where they play or practice, all the times Ive been at Topgun I never have seen them outside of a few of them at classic events.

LVL deff not east coast

TMG deff not east coast.

And NRG is quite new and seems pretty much limited to a single field and location as a team. Most Mid Atlantic players in the major zones of Jersey and Maryland wont really drive 5 hours to see them.

The major east coast paintball hub of NJ/MD hasnt had a pro team in a long time and this region in general is a dead zone for rising up the ranks anymore because there is basically no one to get in tournaments above D3 around here, and no pro teams consistently out to play, learn, and get noticed by.
dannypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:57 AM #93
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypizza View Post
No pro teams consistently around yes, but I did see revo a few times this year in New Jersey, Practicing and competing in 7 mans. Also there's 5 semi
Pro teams in just jersey now. And another 2-3 in the Maryland area as well. Marc a now pro player was taken from the jesters last year. And I've seen players move up the ranks to advance to the semipro level. At least theres definitely some progression going on up to semipro regularly. And if people really are stunting on those teams I'm sure they'd be getting noticed enough to be scouted into a higher team no? Just think the northeast is definitely on the rise
Just to be very clear with that statement, he was taken to a pro team because he had the money to pay his way and he bought Sandana and added to his clout. He is 100% not a pro player in terms of skill level at all.

And in terms of Semi-Pro teams, there isnt much progression there. Noobies have retained a very tight roster for essentially their entire rise on their top line. Nasty is awful. Revo SP is dead. Jesters are the same guys they have always had and not really an opportunity for most.

In my opinion, East coast paintball's main weakness right now is its exclusivity. All the top teams are super guarded and typically not open to bringing in new/unknown guys regardless of talent. Guys are generally a bit more concerned with playing with their boys over anything else. This is especially evident with the younger guys. I see so many talented young players around here rotting away on some pile of garbage D3/4 roster because they want to stick with their friends over launching to the top divisions in a new environment

Old 12-26-2020, 01:29 PM #94
dannypizza

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannypizza View Post
Just to be very clear with that statement, he was taken to a pro team because he had the money to pay his way and he bought Sandana and added to his clout. He is 100% not a pro player in terms of skill level at all.

And in terms of Semi-Pro teams, there isnt much progression there. Noobies have retained a very tight roster for essentially their entire rise on their top line. Nasty is awful. Revo SP is dead. Jesters are the same guys they have always had and not really an opportunity for most.

In my opinion, East coast paintball's main weakness right now is its exclusivity. All the top teams are super guarded and typically not open to bringing in new/unknown guys regardless of talent. Guys are generally a bit more concerned with playing with their boys over anything else. This is especially evident with the younger guys. I see so many talented young players around here rotting away on some pile of garbage D3/4 roster because they want to stick with their friends over launching to the top divisions in a new environment
I see where you're coming from, a team on the rise Leverage has some real killers that could play higher then d2 for sure. And noobies just got second, but that roster is usually the same. But they do have semipro-d2-d3-d4, so if someone was balling in the now d2 line maybe they can bump up. And nj jesters have been planning for the future, they have been trying to snag my Dorito player and told him they are trying to get new blood in the program, also saw some new players on the most recent events roster. And yes revo2/supreme just lost two players i believe with Rico's raiders coming back as well. Hopefully revo will be out at topgun more next year. I saw some solid practices going on over there for worldcup
dannypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:06 PM #95
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter4life05 View Post
Rumor has it Revo is picking up Nick Slowiak, Nick Lieval, Nicky Cuba, Nicky Vegas and various other pros to become the Baltimore Nick Nacs.
#BigNickArmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Humm...

Tampa Bay Damage
New York Extreme
Baltimore Revo
NRG Elite
LVL (Stretch to call east coast?)
TMG Outlaws (Stretch to call east coast?)

Now, if you said Northeast and then maybe "In the top 4" you'd have an argument - but I'd say that 30%+ of the pro teams are on the east coast - if you take out the two stretch teams you're at 20%.
Donít you dare call those weirdos in Ohio and Indiana the east coast. Thatís the Midwest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
The Chicagoland, the Midwest in general, has an unbelievable talent pool. Just need someone to be able to take the reins and build up a serious program.
The Midwest isnít as terrible as people make it out to be (in terms of paintball) and the Chicago area had a great paintball scene until Aftershock got relegated. Thereís plenty of ballers still there, but somebody has to be dumb enough to want to put together and run an x-ball program at great personal cost with little to no return.

Although, if you win, you can hang on to your jerseys and have Dresser appraise them at $1k/ea 15 years after you retire so maybe that could be a little nest egg for potential investors?

WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:40 AM #96
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
tomc727 plays in the APPA D4 division
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 supports Ninja Paintball
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
#BigNickArmy

Donít you dare call those weirdos in Ohio and Indiana the east coast. Thatís the Midwest.

The Midwest isnít as terrible as people make it out to be (in terms of paintball) and the Chicago area had a great paintball scene until Aftershock got relegated. Thereís plenty of ballers still there, but somebody has to be dumb enough to want to put together and run an x-ball program at great personal cost with little to no return.

Although, if you win, you can hang on to your jerseys and have Dresser appraise them at $1k/ea 15 years after you retire so maybe that could be a little nest egg for potential investors?
With O'Hare closing permanently, the indoor scene in the Chicagoland area is dead.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1 & 3.5
Planet Eclipse Aftershock 25th Anniversary 3.5
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:41 AM #97
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc727 View Post
With O'Hare closing permanently, the indoor scene in the Chicagoland area is dead.
There used to be indoor fields all over the Midwest and itís a real shame whatís happened with that. 15 or 20 years ago there were 4 in Iowa alone. Now the only ones I can think of is ICU in Des Moines and Air Assault in the twin cities or Lone Wolf over by Detroit.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:01 AM #98
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
There used to be indoor fields all over the Midwest and itís a real shame whatís happened with that. 15 or 20 years ago there were 4 in Iowa alone. Now the only ones I can think of is ICU in Des Moines and Air Assault in the twin cities or Lone Wolf over by Detroit.
Yeah. I remember living 10 minutes from one when I was in high school.

Now, the only choices in the Chicagoland area is going to Wisconsin or the new NXL field at Power Paintball, which it sounds like the jury is still out on it.

Really sucks.

A couple years ago, there were at least three in the region (Indoor fields in Morris, Melrose Park, and O'Hare). Now, all gone.

The Morris field was beautiful and brand new, turf was only ok though, and they were closed within a year. Rumor had it that the village of Morris shut them down for unknown reasons.

CPX in Melrose Park started nice but with lack of cleaning and horrible turf, closed within a couple years of opening.

Covid killed O'Hare.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 12-27-2020, 10:56 AM #99
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Quote:
Yeah. I remember living 10 minutes from one when I was in high school.

Now, the only choices in the Chicagoland area is going to Wisconsin or the new NXL field at Power Paintball, which it sounds like the jury is still out on it.

Really sucks.

A couple years ago, there were at least three in the region (Indoor fields in Morris, Melrose Park, and O'Hare). Now, all gone.

The Morris field was beautiful and brand new, turf was only ok though, and they were closed within a year. Rumor had it that the village of Morris shut them down for unknown reasons.

CPX in Melrose Park started nice but with lack of cleaning and horrible turf, closed within a couple years of opening.

Covid killed O'Hare.
When I win the powerball Iím going to open an indoor full sized NXL field. The only problem is I donít play the powerball.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:13 AM #100
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
#BigNickArmy

The Midwest isnít as terrible as people make it out to be (in terms of paintball) and the Chicago area had a great paintball scene until Aftershock got relegated.
The midwest is a VAST area. from Omaha to Pennsylvania, and everything north of Missouri. some would even call MO the midwest.
SO let's look to cup.
3/19 Semi pro
2/18 D2
6/30 D3
not a single medal.

There may be a lot of players. But not many of them are playing NXL, and even fewer are seeing success within teams from the MW. I had a very hard time even finding a team to play cup with. I think it'll be down to what teams survive a covid winter and what fields can survive where
in terms of fields:
Siege may be the de facto Chi field. TCP has an indoor, Action has a (very)small indoor but doesn't really do open practice/play. Lone wolf has an indoor. does Cleveland? Pittsburgh? Columbus? Cincy guys drive south to asylum. It really feels like the cost of time and $$$ is a higher bar to become a competitive player/team is higher right now than other regions. Its anecdotal, but I didn't get out of D3 until I was willing to commit 5+ hours of (solo) travel for practices. Theres just not a lot of players who think driving 4-7 hours one way is worth practice. even fewer want to fly.

So lets see where 2021 takes us. but I'd argue its pretty thin right now.
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 AM #101
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealInsomniac View Post
The midwest is a VAST area. from Omaha to Pennsylvania, and everything north of Missouri. some would even call MO the midwest.
SO let's look to cup.
3/19 Semi pro
2/18 D2
6/30 D3
not a single medal.

There may be a lot of players. But not many of them are playing NXL, and even fewer are seeing success within teams from the MW. I had a very hard time even finding a team to play cup with. I think it'll be down to what teams survive a covid winter and what fields can survive where
in terms of fields:
Siege may be the de facto Chi field. TCP has an indoor, Action has a (very)small indoor but doesn't really do open practice/play. Lone wolf has an indoor. does Cleveland? Pittsburgh? Columbus? Cincy guys drive south to asylum. It really feels like the cost of time and $$$ is a higher bar to become a competitive player/team is higher right now than other regions. Its anecdotal, but I didn't get out of D3 until I was willing to commit 5+ hours of (solo) travel for practices. Theres just not a lot of players who think driving 4-7 hours one way is worth practice. even fewer want to fly.

Razor thin.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 12-28-2020, 11:16 AM #102
nichonitro
^ doesn't know anything

nichonitro is a Paintball photographer
nichonitro supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
SO let's look to cup.
3/19 Semi pro
2/18 D2
6/30 D3
not a single medal.

in terms of fields:

The fact you don't know that Missouri is in the midwest is hilarious.

How come everyone is forgetting that with a few Russian contract killers Aftershock(Heat) went on a winning streak.

The midwest is full of talent.

nichonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:50 PM #103
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichonitro View Post
The fact you don't know that Missouri is in the midwest is hilarious.
Except I literally said "some would even call MO the midwest". The opposite of that statement is "some don't think it's midwestern". I mean Mizzou is literally an SEC school.
http://officialcitysites.org/us/stat...ettled%20there.
Oh, look. It's a grey area.
Quote:
How come everyone is forgetting that with a few Russian contract killers Aftershock(Heat) went on a winning streak.
I don't think anyone has forgotten. It's just that we were talking about divisional talent.
Quote:
The midwest is full of talent.
Prove it. The burden of proof lies on the claim. I claimed its thin.Backed it up with the fact that not a single team from the MW who played cup won a medal. Not in Xball. not in 5man. ZERO.
I can tell you right now only one medal went to a MW team in 2020. it belongs to Faction in D3x. ONE of 42 awarded across the Xball and 5man divisions. That doesnt scream "full of talent" to me. Its thin.
Quote:
Razor thin.

how about this?
What percentage of Xball/5man medals from the last two years in Semi-pro and lower went to teams based in the MW. Including Missouri its 24% of the united states. has the MW won 24% of medals? population the MW has about 65million. US has 328... so 19%. Was is been 19%?
What percentage went to Cali? Texas? Florida? not even the entire regions. just the states.

IF the MW is so full of talent, show me the Data that supports it.

[Edited for spelling]

Last edited by TherealInsomniac : 12-28-2020 at 04:54 PM.
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:51 PM #104
4leaf4life
WHAMMY

4leaf4life is a founding member
4leaf4life is a Professional paintball player
4leaf4life works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
4leaf4life is Legendary
Quote:
Except I literally said "some would even call MO the midwest". The opposite of that statement is "some don't think it's midwestern". I mean Mizzou is literally an SEC school.
http://officialcitysites.org/us/stat...ettled%20there.
Oh, look. It's a grey area.

I don't think anyone has forgotten. It's just that we were talking about divisional talent.

Prove it. The burden of proof lies on the claim. I claimed its thin.Backed it up with the fact that not a single team from the MW who played cup won a medal. Not in Xball. not in 5man. ZERO.
I can tell you right now only one medal went to a MW team in 2020. it belongs to Faction in D3x. ONE of 42 awarded across the Xball and 5man divisions. That doesnt scream "full of talent" to me. Its thin.

how about this?
What percentage of Xball/5man medals from the last two years in Semi-pro and lower went to teams based in the MW. Including Missouri its 24% of the united states. has the MW won 24% of medals? population the MW has about 65million. US has 328... so 19%. Was is been 19%?
What percentage went to Cali? Texas? Florida? not even the entire regions. just the states.

IF the MW is so full of talent, show me the Data that supports it.

[Edited for spelling]

The MW is full of talent, probably more than most of the country.

You don't need data or medals.

That talent pool just needs to be directed, harnessed, organized. Something that has not happened in a long time.

That's why most of the talent is spread out.

4leaf4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:08 PM #105
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4leaf4life View Post
The MW is full of talent, probably more than most of the country.

You don't need data or medals.

That talent pool just needs to be directed, harnessed, organized. Something that has not happened in a long time.

That's why most of the talent is spread out.

Bingo

Plenty of good players here in the Midwest, just nobody generous (dumb) enough to put a serious program together right now.

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.