Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 PM #64
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
Is it theoretically possible that someone could hack into the board using bluetooth and switch the modes?

I imagine that is 100% not possible but it crossed my mind. I could see how some hacker could do that to cost a team a penalty. Again, I doubt it is possible but figured I would mention it.

I think it is a great idea having the default being semi capped at 10 bps. That makes perfect sense.
Unlikely. They would have to develop their own Bluetooth compatible software and be able to tap into the board. Typically Bluetooth units require some sort of synch/access process as well. The effort required to break into someone's gun to sabotage a paintball game likely wouldn't be worth the effort to develop even if someone was skilled enough to do so.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 PM #65
diehli
Geniass

diehli owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
diehli owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
diehli plays in the APPA D5 division
diehli owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Further, the tourney lock would likely prevent any changes, including via Bluetooth.

Tact is for those not witty enough to be sarcastic.

For sale:
Z
diehli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:15 AM #66
custommatt

custommatt is a Professional paintball player
custommatt supports Team VICIOUS
I know tounry lock is apart of the rules but I can't remember a time ever in my 20 years of playing I have ever had my gun locked. From the lowest div in NXL to pro I bet you could count on one hand the amount of people that have it locked. BUT after OUR mistake I had all of our players lock their markers.

Matt Sossoman #85
Omaha VICIOUS

FARSIDE
GI SPORTZ
http://www.inceptiondesigns.com/
custommatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:22 PM #67
Joshisanalligator
alligator catcher

plays in the NXL
Joshisanalligator owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by custommatt View Post
I know tounry lock is apart of the rules but I can't remember a time ever in my 20 years of playing I have ever had my gun locked. From the lowest div in NXL to pro I bet you could count on one hand the amount of people that have it locked. BUT after OUR mistake I had all of our players lock their markers.
After seeing someone have a gun runaway to 15+ bps and over 300 fps at one event I set my entire team's arsenal to tourney lock myself. I made one of my teammates print out the entire Axe manual and keep it in his bag and memorize how to set firing modes.

Many professional sports teams (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, etc) have equipment managers, and someone on every team should try to be as well versed in their team's equipment as possible.
Joshisanalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 PM #68
Mr. Charlie
Scales CS1, M2, & M3s+

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
It’s really not hard to set up and maintain paintball markers.

For some reason some people are scared to change their own settings or O-Rings...

I think everyone that plays paintball should know how to maintain their own markers, especially professional players!

It’s really not hard, especially with most of the markers nowadays...
Old 03-17-2019, 11:46 PM #69
Joshisanalligator
alligator catcher

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Itís really not hard to set up and maintain paintball markers.

For some reason some people are scared to change their own settings or O-Rings...

I think everyone that plays paintball should know how to maintain their own markers, especially professional players!

Itís really not hard, especially with most of the markers nowadays...
1. Agreed
2. Agreed
3. Agreed
4. Agreed

Doesn't mean my teammates aren't a couple bolts and circuits short...
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 AM #70
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The tech's in the pits are provided by the manufacturers, to give their teams the opportunity to focus 100% on playing. The technical/ mechanical knowledge level varies from player to player.
Some good points raised here. But I agree with Dave above. We provide the techs in the pits so that the players can concentrate on the game, not their equipment. They have enough crap to deal with in a match without having to worry about their gun.

Anyone that has spent any time in Pro pits will know that those players need every advantage. They have guys to wipe them down, guys to fill their pods and packs, guys to fill their tanks, wipe their goggles, pass them bottles of water.

The gun, at the end of the day, is a tool that allows the players to achieve their objective. Nothing more. Obviously the better the tool, the more likely it is they will achieve that, and any failures or issues with their tools will negatively impact on their abilities.

But I don't think the player really needs to know the intricacies of their marker to get their job done. Not everyone has a technical brain. Different people have different strengths. I don't think there is any shame in admitting that. I certainly don't feel that Pro players "have" to know how to maintain a marker. If they want to learn, great. If they don't, no problem. We got their back. Same for every other player and customer.
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:43 AM #71
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Will the cs2 still have uncapped semi as an available mode for people that don’t care about tournaments?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM #72
neweraballer76
40oz Casualty

neweraballer76 plays in the PSP
neweraballer76 supports Team VICIOUS
neweraballer76 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Will the cs2 still have uncapped semi as an available mode for people that donít care about tournaments?
Yes, its just no longer going to default to that.

DIRTLIFE
neweraballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:24 AM #73
Jack Wood

Annual Supporting Member
Jack Wood is a founding member
Jack Wood works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Jack Wood owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
Will the cs2 still have uncapped semi as an available mode for people that don’t care about tournaments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by neweraballer76 View Post
Yes, its just no longer going to default to that.
Correct
Jack Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 AM #74
Joshisanalligator
alligator catcher

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
Correct
Jack said, "Correct".

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the LV2.

LV2 confirmed you guys
Old 03-18-2019, 03:23 PM #75
screwloose45

Uncapped semi deemed illegal, artificially boosting trigger pulls / ROF (ramping) = legal. Preeety sure this is why paintball's dead.
screwloose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 PM #76
beekermartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwloose45 View Post
Uncapped semi deemed illegal, artificially boosting trigger pulls / ROF (ramping) = legal. Preeety sure this is why paintball's dead.
The problem with uncapped semi was trigger bounce and cheating modes that couldn't be easily policed. Guns were shooting over 20 BPS. That is why they went with ramp and 15 BPS. Then it was lowered to 12.5 BPS and now down to 10.2/10.5 BPS.

I personally would prefer uncapped semi but since it is basically impossible to police I prefer the ramping cap we use now. it makes it fair for all teams in terms of rate of fire.
beekermartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM #77
yeahthatsme
Do Work Son

Annual Supporting Member
yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
yeahthatsme plays in the APPA beginner division
yeahthatsme supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
If paintball is dead why are you(and several thousand other people) here?

Broseidon, King of the Brocean
yeahthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 PM #78
inertstatic

inertstatic owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatsme View Post
If paintball is dead why are you(and several thousand other people) here?
I think its so funny when people say this. Makes me laugh.

Old PBN Feedback:
34/0/0
inertstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 01:06 PM #79
screwloose45

Not trying to derail this thread but more than likely the majority of 'active users' are web crawlers and bots. Active members would be a more accurate number. Paintball isn't completely dead, but it's nothing compared to what it was 10 or 15 years ago. Local fields have closed, local stores have closed (1 here just closed after 37 years in business), and 9 out of 10 players at whatever local field is still open are 1 time rental players. In my opinion, ramping caused this. First time players go out expecting to have fun and get lit up by some noob playing on ramping to boost his ego. Paintball these days is comprised of people who have been a part of it for a while, there aren't many regular newcomers.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:56 AM #80
BIG T25

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
BIG T25 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Ramping actually effectively limits ROF, not boosts it. I think you'll agree that almost ALL tournament players can shoot faster than 10bps in uncapped semi. And limiting ROF is a good thing for growing paintball as it makes it less intimidating for new players.

I'm not denying that paintball is nowhere near as big as it was 12-15 years ago, but ramping has nothing to do with that. In fact, the national tournaments (aka the type of paintball where ramping is actually used) are bigger than they EVER were. So let's leave ramping alone.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 PM #81
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Not trying to derail this thread but more than likely the majority of 'active users' are web crawlers and bots. Active members would be a more accurate number. Paintball isn't completely dead, but it's nothing compared to what it was 10 or 15 years ago. Local fields have closed, local stores have closed (1 here just closed after 37 years in business), and 9 out of 10 players at whatever local field is still open are 1 time rental players. In my opinion, ramping caused this. First time players go out expecting to have fun and get lit up by some noob playing on ramping to boost his ego. Paintball these days is comprised of people who have been a part of it for a while, there aren't many regular newcomers.
If you think that... You're 10 ply bud..
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 PM #82
nightmares&lollypops
nice marmot

plays in the NXL
nightmares&lollypops owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nightmares&lollypops owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
nightmares&lollypops owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
nightmares&lollypops supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
If you think that... You're 10 ply bud..
I see what you did there
Old 03-20-2019, 10:59 PM #83
screwloose45

It seems I've triggered the fat finger ramp players. I'll see myself out. Have fun playing back.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 AM #84
beekermartin

Quote:
It seems I've triggered the fat finger ramp players. I'll see myself out. Have fun playing back.
I don't agree with you but I do understand what you are saying. I started playing back when the Tippman 68 Special and VM68 were the two best semi autos on the market. Back then the issue was chopping because the automated hopper hadn't been invented yet.

Then came the Autococker/Automag era and the first agitated hoppers. Unfortunately the best hopper of that time couldn't keep up if you had a well trained and fast finger. I have bunkered more people then I care to admit that nothing came out except the splatter I chopped in the Automag feedneck. I have countless miserable memories of chopping paint costing me an event.

Then electronic guns started coming out. I loved the Shoebox Shocker so much because even without eyes the bolt was so gentle it would stop on the ball if caught in the breech and then shoot it out with the next shot. That is why I used it for so long past the time the Angel "with eyes" became the norm. The Angel was around but it was still a chopping machine until "eyes" was invented.

Then the Halo came out and that changed everything. All of a sudden we had a hopper that could out feed the fastest guns. That is when the ROF war took off. It became so insane that I remember throwing an entire team out of a local event because they all had some sort of break out mode that allowed them all to rip like 20 bps off the break. After the breakout not one of those morons could maintain over 7-8 bps but they were all shooting faster than humanely possible at the start. Damn cheaters!

That is the best way to describe why max ramping ROF has become the norm. It was impossible to prove who's gun was bouncing or in an illegal "breakout mode", etc. It was literally impossible since everyone had different cheats. Hold this button when turning on, tap this button three times, up down up down left right left right select start gave you 30 guys, etc. It was impossible to prove someone had a ROF cheat but almost everyone did and it was out of control.

I wish that a real no limit semi ROF was possible. It took me years to be able to shoot a Shoebox Shocker at the max ROF. I had it taken away in several events because everyone thought I was using a turbo board. I wasn't but I had developed the ability to shoot fast after years of practice. Well those days are gone. I can still shoot between 13-15 bps semi with a properly setup trigger to my liking with no bounce. Unfortunately that is no longer a skill appreciated since pulling any trigger 5 times per second to maintain ramp is capable by anyone.

Regardless a max ROF is the only way to have a fair playing field. I do think 10.2/10.5 is too slow but I am not in charge. 12.5 bps is the sweet spot in my opinion.

Last edited by beekermartin : 03-22-2019 at 12:18 PM.
beekermartin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.