PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 PM #64
The Colossus Jade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar850 View Post
Alright, I just finish Rant, and can someone tell me if all the ends were tied up, because I may have missed it, but I don't think they were.

Also, I am starting diary tonight.
Just read that book this evening. I'll probably have to go through it about 30 more times before I figure out everything that happened.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2008, 01:06 AM #65
TooDLeS

has been a member for 10 years
So I'm about halfway through Haunted, and am considering giving up. Will the next 200 pages be any different from the first 200? cuz so far, it has been quite boring. It's interesting reading, but nothing is happening. The repetition is killing me, and the few, weakly developed ideas being expressed are monotonous and trivial. So, anyone who has read Haunted, is it worth continuing or should I switch to another novel?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:15 AM #66
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

I liked Haunted. I thought it was a very cool play with narratives, and the stories were entertaining, at least I thought they were. I found myself more entertained with the linking plotline of the writer's retreat then I was with the stories, but I still enjoyed them all.

I liked it, and I know someone who barely reads and even he finished it. I can count on one hand the number of books I've started but never finished.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:19 AM #67
TooDLeS

But does the main narrative develop at all throughout the story, because at this point a few ppl have died, and that's it. Not real exciting.

Thanks for the opinion thus far.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM #68
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Not quite sure what you mean. There's a very definable story arc that was pretty visible within the first half. What you read does go somewhere, if that's what you're asking.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:18 PM #69
paintballphreak1

I've read all of Chuck's stuff aside from Haunted and Stranger than Fiction. I've read about half of those, but both got shelved. I keep meaning to go back to them, but other books have taken their place.

Choke was definitely my favorite, with Survivor tailing close. I loved Rant, but it became much better when I figured out that there was more to come. I've enjoyed everything I've read for Palahniuk, but IM, Lullaby, and Diary are what rounds out the bottom. Yet again, I've been meaning to reread everything, I just haven't found the time in between other stuff. Chuck Palahniuk is who really got me into reading back in high school, so I'll always be grateful for that. Every book of his I've read in finished in 3 days max (Haunted and StF obviously excluded), which is not all that common for me.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM #70
IplayforRelentless
Quit changing my avatar!

IplayforRelentless is BST Trusted
IplayforRelentless is a Paintball photographer
IplayforRelentless supports our troops
IplayforRelentless is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
IplayforRelentless is attending Decay of Nations VI
So yes, I am upping a 4 year old thread, but I didn't feel like making a new Chuck Palahniuk thread when I knew we had one floating around here in this sub-forum. Anyone read Damned? I'm thinking about picking that one up, along with Survivor when I get paid on Thursday. I've just read Choke and Rant and I absolutely loved both of those books. Whenever I chew food slowly, I think of Rant.
"Originally posted by -|2ain: Ima kill Dieing to live when he gets back! THEY MADE ME DO A RECTAL EXAM!!!! A ****ING RECTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!"
"Originally posted by tremis: I love the self righteousness of the photographers with the claim that they "created" a photograph. Delusional at all? The law may ignorantly side with the photographer, but the subject has done the vast majority of the work and they dont get any credit/royalties."
I take hipster photos on Instagram - @hobbesthetiger
NJ Devils MN Wild MN Twins Chi Cubs IA Hawkeyes
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 AM #71
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
Survivor was one of my favorites. The cleaning tips were hilarious.

And Invisible Monsters was also a pleasant surprise. It probably starts the best out of any of them.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM #72
Citizen X
Very Varenyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IplayforRelentless View Post
So yes, I am upping a 4 year old thread, but I didn't feel like making a new Chuck Palahniuk thread when I knew we had one floating around here in this sub-forum. Anyone read Damned? I'm thinking about picking that one up, along with Survivor when I get paid on Thursday. I've just read Choke and Rant and I absolutely loved both of those books. Whenever I chew food slowly, I think of Rant.
Survivor is fantastic. Easily my favorite of his books. I actually plan to re-read it sometime soon.

You cannot go wrong with Damned. After being pretty let down with Tell-All the year before, I was actually very happy with it. It's like a morbid coming-of-age story, with a pretty heavy homage to The Breakfast Club, except the characters are coming-of-age in the afterlife.

And Palahniuk's rendition of Hell is hilariously twisted.