Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-08-2020, 12:51 AM #1
68FPS

.50 vs .68 Impact Energy Comparison

So running the math: for simple kinetic energy, not taking into account inelastic or elastic collisions, .50 caliber paintball should be able to have a muzzle velocity of 350 feet per second and still only deliver the same energy density per square inch of skin as .68 caliber (see numbers in green). If we look at total energy it would take 475 feet per second for .50 caliber to deliver the same total energy per hit as as .68 (see numbers in red).

In summary .50 caliber should be able to be shot at 350 feet per second with no noticeable difference in felt impact. It may be possible to go to higher velocities since the total energy is still much lower. It depends on why paintball is set at 300fps. Is that because eye protection starts to fail or because the skin breaks? Feel free to chime in on this with any real world observations or if you think I missed anything.

Basically I think insurers and fields should be moving to allow 350fps for .50 caliber paintball at least from a safety standpoint. There may be other considerations I suppose.
68FPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2020, 08:12 AM #2
Mr. Charlie
Dye DSR, M2, M3

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
I suppose it is lower because 50 Caliber is typically used for younger players.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM #3
$balla
[b]anned

has been a member for 10 years
I'd support switching to .50 as a standard if it meant higher bps and the same equipment options as .68
$balla is offline   Reply With Quote