Annual Supporting Member
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
tomc727 plays in the APPA D4 division
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 supports Ninja Paintball
tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter4 View Post
To be fair most hospitals in the US are around a bed occupancy rate of 65% or so. Most hospitals become overwhelmed due to employee shortage and resource limitations around the 85% occupancy mark. So in regards to flatten the curve, there is some general thought behind it.
Do you have data to back this up?

The only state that had more patients than beds was New York. Every other state had such a decline in bed use, that some hospitals furloughed physicians and staff.

Illinois built a 3000 bed hospital in Chicago, which saw a total of about 2 dozen patients before being torn down.

My hospital is one of the largest in the state, and closed its overflow tent after not seeing a single patient.

Let's talk about the deaths and destruction that this shutdown has caused, just in the medical community. Lack of cancer screenings, heart disease, suicides, mental health relapses. The list is endless.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1 & 3.5
Planet Eclipse Aftershock 25th Anniversary 3.5
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2020, 10:30 AM #23
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
And let's not forget the death of business, which brings us back to this thread topic, the impending death of paintball fields in ILLinois, confirmed with already 1 death - O'Hare Paintball Park, not to mention many other small businesses that will succumb to state government overreach.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 05-18-2020, 10:36 AM #24
viking002
Da Sigma

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
viking002 posts videos on PbNation
viking002 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc727 View Post
The best source available came from this tracking site. It was nation wide and broke down numbers state by state.

Illinois had a peak resource use in mid April. This date was since removed from the tracking. For the fat turd of a governor to change the peak to mid June is laughable and a complete scam and lie.

Illinois never had a shortage of hospital beds or vents. The flatten the curve campaign was to not overwhelm the healthcare system. Anything else is moving the goalposts, which the fat turd is a professional at.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...erica/illinois

This isn't about safety. This is about politics, plain and simple.
How is it about politics, Doc? I'm curious to hear your opinion since you're actually out there seeing it firsthand.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:41 AM #25
lawf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcraig93 View Post
I am grateful for what our Governor is doing with our plan for IL. I'm in retail/Food Service. The majority of IL is still too unaware of our current crisis. He has the common sense to see how devastating this could impact our state. I'm glad he hasn't reopened the state. What I'm not glad about is how ignorant people can be.
kinda ironic you state that after clearly being someone whos buying into everything the media is stating.

the average age of people dying to CV-19 is OLDER than the average age of people dying regularly every day, and 50%+ of those people had underlying issues.

yeah this virus sucks, but lockdowns and stuff are doing 100x more damage than the virus actually is. i know it brought back my depression with lack of work etc, and that to me is more dangerous than a virus.
lawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:56 AM #26
jtcraig93
P.E. ETEK 5 & SPYDER XTRA

jtcraig93 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Quote:
I am grateful for what our Governor is doing with our plan for IL. I'm in retail/Food Service. The majority of IL is still too unaware of our current crisis. He has the common sense to see how devastating this could impact our state. I'm glad he hasn't reopened the state. What I'm not glad about is how ignorant people can be.
I am a physician on the front lines of this, and I want to know what you are smoking, to think shutting down the state is a good idea.

The shutdown and economic collapse will kill far more than this virus.

Jelly Belly has about as much common sense as the bag of potato chips he eats to keep his fat ***.
Firstly, Thank you for being a health care worker during a trying time for the world. It is admirable to be in this profession, especially now.

Second, no need to resort to put downs. I will admit, I do not share the viewpoint of everyone. I am respectful of your viewpoint/opinion. But I have/will continue to stand by my viewpoint. At least I'll be mature enough to say you're viewpoint can be your own.

Third; this is a thread about O'Hare closing. This is sad news to read. Even though I have never been, I felt it hit the community because indoor fields in IL are so rare. Let's focus on what we players can do to support our local fields.
jtcraig93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:59 AM #27
jtcraig93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymiusII View Post
Quote:
I can bet in 6 months when you or someone close to you is out of work, that your perspective may change.

Dont believe what you are told, do your own research, this is probably the best advice I can give anyone in this era.
You're viewpoint is your own and I respect what you're saying. I happen to see this event differently due to everyday scenarios and local media reports.

Knocking on wood as I write this post that the job-loss occuring even now can be remedied when safe to do so.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM #28
jtcraig93

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawf View Post
Quote:
kinda ironic you state that after clearly being someone whos buying into everything the media is stating.

the average age of people dying to CV-19 is OLDER than the average age of people dying regularly every day, and 50%+ of those people had underlying issues.

yeah this virus sucks, but lockdowns and stuff are doing 100x more damage than the virus actually is. i know it brought back my depression with lack of work etc, and that to me is more dangerous than a virus.
Germs and viruses spread. If we allow bunches of people to move about freely, germs/viruses will them continue to be living in hosts.

I do hope you are taking care. I admit, depression is a hard battle. I have my days also with it. I really hope you are able to do something for yourself to keep occupied.

Lastly, I hope you are able to find something else as far as a job. It is unfortunate that businesses have to close doors. It is even more sad because the people make business' run. I do hope something, as far as a job, comes along for ya.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:05 AM #29
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post
How is it about politics, Doc? I'm curious to hear your opinion since you're actually out there seeing it firsthand.
I don't think it is a coincidence that the red states are reopening while the blue states are staying closed. Illinois, for one, will find a way to milk this for all it's worth to get a bailout from the feds, which will likely never happen.

Illinois is not just Chicago, which the fat turd of a governor is treating it as.

Just look at New York and Florida. Similar populations, vastly different responses.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 05-18-2020, 11:06 AM #30
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Firstly, Thank you for being a health care worker during a trying time for the world. It is admirable to be in this profession, especially now.

Second, no need to resort to put downs. I will admit, I do not share the viewpoint of everyone. I am respectful of your viewpoint/opinion. But I have/will continue to stand by my viewpoint. At least I'll be mature enough to say you're viewpoint can be your own.

Third; this is a thread about O'Hare closing. This is sad news to read. Even though I have never been, I felt it hit the community because indoor fields in IL are so rare. Let's focus on what we players can do to support our local fields.
Well you can stay home then if you don't feel safe while the rest of the nation goes back to work. I hope you also never cross the street, drive a car, or leave your bed, because, you know, those are also dangerous activities.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 AM #31
jtcraig93

Quote:
Quote:

Well you can stay home then if you don't feel safe while the rest of the nation goes back to work. I hope you also never cross the street, drive a car, or leave your bed, because, you know, those are also dangerous activities.
Classy
Old 05-18-2020, 11:10 AM #32
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:

This. This right here.

Nursing homes account for an extremely disproportionate amount of cases and death.

Rhode Island, for example, 75% of all deaths were from nursing homes. This virus is not equal opportunity.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 05-18-2020, 12:08 PM #33
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
Quote:
I don't think it is a coincidence that the red states are reopening while the blue states are staying closed. Illinois, for one, will find a way to milk this for all it's worth to get a bailout from the feds, which will likely never happen.

Illinois is not just Chicago, which the fat turd of a governor is treating it as.

Just look at New York and Florida. Similar populations, vastly different responses.
Yes, I think they could handle Chicago separately from the rest of the state. Also, I don't think Illinois would get a bailout ever.

So wouldn't the governor benefit more from having an open economy? Its not like because he's a "democrat", he isn't capitalist billionaire.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:08 PM #34
hth_1
Another Canadian

plays in the NXL
hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
hth_1 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
hth_1 supports Ninja Paintball
Really is a bummer since I probably should have taken the opportunity last year to just even go for some walkons (I was in Chicago for another event, didn’t bring my gear).

And just to add on what tomc727 has previously mentioned, heck you have people in the states literally drinking themselves to death because everything is shut down. Narcs snitching on people opening up. Quite insane how everything, from my view across the boarder has gotten so political.

Anyways, still watching the situation closely since I did sign up for SuperGame. And as much as I can and want to go, if these restrictions are still in place I will have to touch base with organizers.
-EMek
-EMG100
-Urban HDE GMek
-Phantoms
hth_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 01:36 PM #35
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Quote:

Nailed it on the dot. For people under 45, this actually has a LOWER mortality rate then the flu does. Which means you have over a 99.9% survival rate if you exclude nursing homes. Older people tend to get vaccinated every year, there’s no vaccine for this which is why you’re seeing it rip through nursing homes like wild fire.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:37 PM #36
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking002 View Post

Not only different responses, but completely different RESULTS!
Old 05-18-2020, 01:38 PM #37
tomc727
Doc

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
Nailed it on the dot. For people under 45, this actually has a LOWER mortality rate then the flu does. Which means you have over a 99.9% survival rate if you exclude nursing homes. Older people tend to get vaccinated every year, there’s no vaccine for this which is why you’re seeing it rip through nursing homes like wild fire.
Exactly.

Planet Eclipse LV1 & LVR
Planet Eclipse CS1
Planet Eclipse CSR
Old 05-19-2020, 01:18 PM #38
paintballistheshiz
Leggo My Ego

Quote:
Compared to the previous indoor fields in Illinois, it was the best there was. All the other indoor fields in Illinois were a mess and didn’t survive. Look how long CPX indoor lasted. I don’t think they lasted 2 years.
Yeah...Except for Stinger

....and Factory lol

But for real, Stinger was legit
Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 AM #39
dak22

dak22 is playing at Living Legends VII
dak22 is playing at Living Legends VIII
dak22 is playing at Living Legends IX
dak22 is playing at Living Legends X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
Not only different responses, but completely different RESULTS!
Florida's results aren't accurate though. They just stopped reporting to make sure the numbers fit their agenda.
dak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 AM #40
martix_agent
Mandated fun

martix_agent is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak22 View Post
Florida's results aren't accurate though. They just stopped reporting to make sure the numbers fit their agenda.
Yep. A lady got fired because she refused to fudge the numbers to make things look better.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:00 AM #41
Bushwhacked

Lol no doctor who ever gets through medical school ends up acting like a toddler and with not understanding to how to look at multiple sides of an issue @tomc727. Calling you out on this BS now.

Clearly saying he's a doctor trying to loan legitimacy to a bogus viewpoint. Even with nationwide stay at home orders- this disease was far worse than a regular flu. We're on course for almost double the annual deaths from the regular flu and that's AFTER we've been at home for almost 3 months. Let me say that again- we're on course for double the deaths of annual flu and we've literally been sitting at home for a quarter of the year --> aka the virus spread like wildfire when it had its chance to and it still managed to infect 1.5M+ individuals.

Can you imagine how bad things would have gotten if the virus had just ran its course and we completely ignored it? Let me give you a rundown of what would happen if this were the case:

a. Hundreds of thousand more people, and probably millions, would die- resulting in not only an impactful reduction in the workforce but an even scarier environment for the consumer. Can you imagine open air workplaces just letting the virus make its way through all the employees? Shutdowns would have happened anyway- and in this regard you'd also have a much sicker workforce, employees dying, families being unnecessarily exposed etc. This would lead to:
b. People staying at home anyway. Many individuals are able to assess opportunity cost when it comes to their own health. e.g. is going with my family to red lobster worth it when I could expose them all to a deadly virus versus just eating at home for a few months.
c. Our healthcare system would be overwhelmed. Overstressed hospitals would be unable to provide adequate care to all. Quality of care would also drop- more patients means a lower doctor/nurse to patient ratio. Your grandma comes in who's in the high risk group? Sorry, but there aren't enough vents for her, she doens't get to make it. Your dad who's in his late 60's? He doesn't get proper care and doesn't make it.

If anything, this pandemic has exposed the greed and lack of empathy of many Americans (likely people with less education/financial education who never learned how to save a penny in their lives or don't understand the concept of compounding interest/wealth, either that or they don't understand fixed income/dividend investing), it seems many would trade money at the expense of others' lives.

It has also exposed the disorganization and utter incompetence of the current administration. The irony that many cannot see- because they are only interested political theater, is how Trump and co. managed to completely dismantle important federal agencies from the top down when he assumed office. Expertise in any given field (whether it be science, education, housing, etc.) has never been rewarded, only unwavering loyalty. Here are a few examples:

1. Betsy DeVos chosen as secretary of education with no actual experience in public education. Not only does she and her family own private, charter schools (a massive conflict of interest in and of itself), she and none of her children attended public schools. How could a billionaire trust fund baby understand the needs of public educators in this country, let alone be in charge of the entire department? By the way- her $40 million yacht that is parked in Michigan (one of 10 of the DeVos's family boats), is registered to the Cayman Islands even though it is docked in Michigan- therefore she's not paying any taxes on it. Aren't loopholes the greatest? Follow the money when it comes to the recent stimulus intended for our schools and you'll see over $150 million went to privately owned schools. I can guess who owns a few of them.

2. Ben Carson chosen as secretary of housing and urban development. Ben Carson, for those who don't know, is a successful neurosurgeon who was famous for separating conjoined twins. Not to say that the dude has some skills, but he has no expertise or training when it comes to housing or urban development. Once again, only loyalty mattered with this appointment.

3. Andrew Wheeler chosen as secretary of the environmental protection agency. A former coal lobbyist was appointed as the Head of the EPA. I'm not even going to say anything more about this one. If you can't figure it out well then I feel sorry for you.

4. Elaine Chao chosen as secretary of transportation. Married to Mitch McConnell, Chao is the heir of a billionaire Taiwanese shipping magnate. There is a clear conflict of interest here as Mrs. Chao has power over an agency that she can use to give direct benefit to her familiy's company, Foremost Group Inc.

There is an unprecedented level of nepotism and corruption happening right now at the federal level. We live in a very scary time- these individuals would fancy themselves as dictators and autocrats if given an opportunity. They essentially are already oligarchs. Most are wealthy trust fund babies who never worked hard to make their own livings- they come from billionaire families of real estate developers, shipping merchants, and pyramid schemes (i.e. Amway).

It is fortunate that our founding fathers created separation of powers. The current leadership does not care about the duties of the offices they hold, in many cases they would rather dismantle all that America has managed to build and create more ways for them and their families to profit and line their own pockets.

Last edited by Bushwhacked : 05-20-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Bushwhacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 AM #42
viking002
Da Sigma

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacked View Post
Lol no doctor who ever gets through medical school ends up acting like a toddler and with not understanding to how to look at multiple sides of an issue @tomc727. Calling you out on this BS now.
I know Tom and he is a doctor.

I don't agree with all his views in this thread but he's not lying.

Last edited by viking002 : 05-20-2020 at 08:08 AM.
viking002 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.