ReplyNews Ups

Old 04-20-2020, 09:04 PM #22
nolarrow

has been a member for 10 years
nolarrow plays in the APPA D4 division
nolarrow has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Paintball.Media View Post
Totally entitled to your opinion... but "stuff you've seen on PbNation" is just false.... maybe a few minutes in the 3 HOURS...
I mean the interview with jack was just lifted from the pbnation youtube channel that hosted the PE documentary.

https://youtu.be/mWNT3WeLE5U?t=244

https://youtu.be/mWNT3WeLE5U?t=851

But like I said before. First 45 minutes were awesome and filled with stuff I didn't know and haven't seen before.
nolarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 PM #23
John-Paintball.Media

John-Paintball.Media is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolarrow View Post
I mean the interview with jack was just lifted from the pbnation youtube channel that hosted the PE documentary.

But like I said before. First 45 minutes were awesome and filled with stuff I didn't know and haven't seen before.
The last third of the film has 26 interviews, 24 of them we shot. Two of them were given to us by the people that shot them. So, no, nothing was "lifted." Look, I have no problem with you not liking the last parts of the film, just tell the truth...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:10 PM #24
TonydaTiger
killer pengiun

Anyone else having loading issues with the stream right now?

I bought it so I'm not worried but just wondering if anyone else has loading issues with it.

I have gigabit internet so I wouldn't think a simple 1080p stream would stress my internet that much.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:16 PM #25
John-Paintball.Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonydaTiger View Post
Anyone else having loading issues with the stream right now?

I bought it so I'm not worried but just wondering if anyone else has loading issues with it.

I have gigabit internet so I wouldn't think a simple 1080p stream would stress my internet that much.
I haven't heard of any issues today...
Old 04-20-2020, 10:34 PM #26

awesome
2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:39 PM #27
TonydaTiger
killer pengiun

Quote:
I haven't heard of any issues today...
Was about 1.5 hours in and the feed just randomly restarted now....

Loving it though!! Small price to pay for the work you guys put in.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:05 AM #28
TonydaTiger
killer pengiun

Quote:
Just finished it. If we weren't in lock down I'd say its not worth watching past the first 45 minutes.

Starts off with the history behind the first game ever played, interviews with the guys who first had the idea. Followed the opening of the first fields. This part was really cool.

Delves into tournament play and marker technology. Hops around time lines quite a bit and gets disjointed.

About halfway through it falls off the rails. Turns into ICC hotel room interviews, clips lifted off youtube with him voicing over them, bounces back around to very old tech again, then shoots forward into early 2ks ball psp / nppl split.

Last third was just promotional material for the manufacturers. With some live interviews, some interviews lifted from stuff you've already seen on pbnation.

It was pretty lazy.

Entitled to your own opinion, but I thought this history was done well and totally worth the $13 to own or the $10 to rent for 3 days.

A lot of stuff I never knew and was really cool to see how some of these companies were originally founded.

Most of all.... the disposition from the WDP employee.... woah.... just woah
Old 04-21-2020, 12:18 AM #29
L4sT_ReSOrT

Just finished the documentary, was great to learn about the history of the sport. Glad that the cumulative paintball history is now as well documented as reasonably possible. Wish there was more 2000s to the modern era discussion but that's my personal bias.

It does make you think about how an individual can have a marked impact on this sport. I'm not talking about founding a company or being a professional player but just having a love for the hobby and wanting to give back.

Hopefully in another 30 years we can see another documentary about the innovations and contributions our generation has made.
L4sT_ReSOrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:00 AM #30
tweeter4
How is a PBN formed?

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
tweeter4 posts videos on PbNation
tweeter4 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Just finished it. If we weren't in lock down I'd say its not worth watching past the first 45 minutes.

Starts off with the history behind the first game ever played, interviews with the guys who first had the idea. Followed the opening of the first fields. This part was really cool.

Delves into tournament play and marker technology. Hops around time lines quite a bit and gets disjointed.

About halfway through it falls off the rails. Turns into ICC hotel room interviews, clips lifted off youtube with him voicing over them, bounces back around to very old tech again, then shoots forward into early 2ks ball psp / nppl split.

Last third was just promotional material for the manufacturers. With some live interviews, some interviews lifted from stuff you've already seen on pbnation.

It was pretty lazy.

This fits my feelings best. I liked the first game stuff, but at the same time they spent more time of describing the first game than they did of entire eras of paintball from 2000-2010, 2010-current etc. Its not so much a complete history as it is a collection of historical reference points. Too dry for me.

I also will never understand the tone of so many paintball products. Some of the interviewers using vulgar language just seems not needed and could be removed without effecting the film and improve its final presentation.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:38 AM #31
Legacy
Tractor Engineer

Legacy is a founding member
Legacy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I finally got through the whole thing last night and it wasn't good, not great. I didn't start playing until the 90's so I loved seeing the stuff from the 80's. I'll have to agree with a few other people the stuff about the late 90's and on seemed really rushed. I would have really liked to hear from Dave Youngblood about the formation of Dye since they are one of the biggest names in paintball and have always been independent. I also would have liked to hear more from Bud Orr. Tom Kaye was great as always but the mags vs cockers was such a huge rivalry for 10 years I wish you would have spent more time on that. The other big piece I think that was missing was the impact of the 2008 financial crisis on the game and the industry.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM #32
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends X
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 supports Ninja Paintball
lopez17 owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
Actually it has both... and the SP stuff will probably surprise you....
Ha, the thing that actually surprised me the most about that was that the deposition occurred or was signed off on in Butler Co. and not Westmoreland, but it was certainly interesting.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:46 AM #33
Mark790.06

My takeaways:

If it was not for Debra Dion, Jerry Braun et al arguing and demonstrating the absurdity that the guns were "firearms" or the game "glorified" war or would make "monsters" of those who experienced it at the time of the games' literal infancy.....there very well could have been nothing to make a history of.
A profound "Thank You!" to them.

As a player in much of the formative years of the sport who lost all the gear, apparel, magazines, gizmos, and, most sadly of all photos/videos of those days:
Thanks to all the hoarders who loaned John all your crap that made this compilation possible!
Mark790.06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 11:04 AM #34
Jasonvg16

Didn’t read all the posts yet... is there a way to buy a physical copy?
Old 04-21-2020, 11:08 AM #35
John-Paintball.Media

DVD will be available this summer... or you can stream it anytime: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/paintballhistory
Old 04-21-2020, 06:49 PM #36
Jasonvg16

If we buy it to stream can we get the dvd free when released? I’d rather have a physical copy.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:50 PM #37
John-Paintball.Media

Jason,

If you buy the stream, the DVD later this summer will be discounted...
Old 04-21-2020, 07:49 PM #38
Jasonvg16

Quote:
Jason,

If you buy the stream, the DVD later this summer will be discounted...
Gotcha. Any idea by how much?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:05 PM #39
ophooligan
Avid Death Squad

ophooligan has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark790.06 View Post
My takeaways:

If it was not for Debra Dion, Jerry Braun et al arguing and demonstrating the absurdity that the guns were "firearms" or the game "glorified" war or would make "monsters" of those who experienced it at the time of the games' literal infancy.....there very well could have been nothing to make a history of.
A profound "Thank You!" to them.

As a player in much of the formative years of the sport who lost all the gear, apparel, magazines, gizmos, and, most sadly of all photos/videos of those days:
Thanks to all the hoarders who loaned John all your crap that made this compilation possible!
I don't think we can state this enough. A hand full of people really put their names on the line to make sure that we can play this sport we love.
I know it's a lot to cram in the 3 hours but I thought we would have seen more mag vs cocker, Dave Youngblood/DYE and I thought that not talking with Dave Bell/viewloader was another miss.
I purchased it and I'm glad I did. John, this was a ton of work and I thank you for doing this. Love the entire 3 hours or not, this is important and we should all support it if we can.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:22 PM #40
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Big Papa Pink supports DLX Technology
Will this be available in the ITunes Store? I would like to download this to my iPad to watch on upcoming flights.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:38 PM #41
Calculon The Great

Calculon The Great owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Calculon The Great supports Ninja Paintball
I Purchased it as well and just finished watching it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, good job.
Calculon The Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:08 AM #42
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Quote:
Totally entitled to your opinion... but "stuff you've seen on PbNation" is just false.... maybe a few minutes in the 3 HOURS...

Sounds like I need to
Peep the Pbnation channel
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.