John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
Arrow Possible New Professional Paintball League in 2019: National Paintball League (NPL)

Rumors of the National Paintball League (or NPL) have been swirling for months and I got some of the first real information about their plans in the last few days. The NPL is a new professional only league being started here in the United States from the ground up with the emphasis on making paintball spectator and media friendly. The plan is for no divisional divisions at all and every decision will weigh not just playability but also viewability. That means things like split deck aren't even being considered since nearly everyone agrees it does make it harder to follow a match.

The goal is to show off a format much like old school Xball complete with semi-auto paintball markers and penalty boxes in a league made just to show off professional paintball in the best light possible. One of the changes they do plan to make is limiting paint in some capacity, but nothing as drastic as the two pod rule the Millennium Series used to enforce. The rate of fire has not been finalized to the best of my knowledge.

Obviously, much of this can change and the first event isn't yet scheduled and the first teams haven't even been announced. So this is the time to weigh in.

What would you most like to see as a spectator?

If you play at or near the pro level, what would like to see as a competitor?

David Mullis Photography

EDIT: Limited Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The NPL did confirm their plan for "limited paint" is 4 pods + a hopper. Nothing revolutionary, but it does limit players from taking out a dozen pods.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 PM #2
Intern1

has been a member for 10 years
Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Intern1 is Boss
Nice to see another league throw their hat in the ring. I wonder how many NXL teams will move over to this league, or try and play both. That is if they are allowed too play both.

Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:06 PM #3
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
The NPL isn't limiting where teams play.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM #4
chase.n

I would 'like' to see FREE webcasts. Although I realize how unrealistic and terrible business model this is.
Put honestly though, paintball is ONE of MANY sports/hobbies I enjoy and unfortunately it ranks lower than a handful of others I participate in as far as time/money I allot it. Perhaps a free webcast would get me to watch more, then in turn spend/play more paintball? That may not be the case, but it may help people like me turn to paintball more, and have a good long term return on investment. Just wishful thinking
chase.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:14 PM #5
chase.n

but I would like to say I am excited for this new league regardless of free webcasts or not. In fact, if no free webcast (most likely scenario) I would love to see high quality recaps of some games
Old 11-24-2018, 09:17 PM #6
Intern1

Intern1 owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
Intern1 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The NPL isn't limiting where teams play.
That doesn't mean the nxl won't. I really hope they don't, but you never know.

Intern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 PM #7
Relshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase.n View Post
I would 'like' to see FREE webcasts. Although I realize how unrealistic and terrible business model this is.
Put honestly though, paintball is ONE of MANY sports/hobbies I enjoy and unfortunately it ranks lower than a handful of others I participate in as far as time/money I allot it. Perhaps a free webcast would get me to watch more, then in turn spend/play more paintball? That may not be the case, but it may help people like me turn to paintball more, and have a good long term return on investment. Just wishful thinking
I totally agree. Maybe some kind of deal with Twitch. Get it on the front page, ads can run, and maybe some cool extensions can be made. I've been running twitch streams on a corporate level and not just a solo streamer. It's ****ing great.
Relshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:29 PM #8
yeahthatsme
Do Work Son

yeahthatsme supports Team VICIOUS
I'm interested to hear how funding will work without lower divisions. Will be very expensive for paint companies also since they will have to deliver paint just for pro teams.

Broseidon, King of the Brocean
yeahthatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:30 PM #9
Uiruru
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intern1 View Post
That doesn't mean the nxl won't. I really hope they don't, but you never know.
More importantly that doesn't mean sponsors won't limit which league a team can play in.

We saw this back in the PSP vs NPPL days and we all know who won that battle.
Uiruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 PM #10
Nor Cal Shocker
I really don't care....

Nor Cal Shocker is a Supporting Member
Uncapped semi auto as a player & as a spectator. Uncapped semi takes more skill to shoot with both hands & learn to shoot with both hands on the trigger just as fast. Old school NPPL style. Having capped ROF, IMHO, doesn't teach a player the same skills from left to right shooting (or vice versa).
Nor Cal Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 PM #11
xXkillaXx

xXkillaXx owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
xXkillaXx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXkillaXx supports Ninja Paintball
Yes. More of this!!
xXkillaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:36 PM #12
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Get rid of split deck, and they’ll have the NXL beat
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM #13
#1P8ntballer
wha da heo

#1P8ntballer is a Supporting Member
#1P8ntballer is a founding member
#1P8ntballer owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
#1P8ntballer supports DLX Technology
I feel like we're in some odd alternate universe of NPPL vs NXL.

Excited for this though. Hope they have a good revenue model. It'll be more challenging without additional divisional teams.

Would like to see Huntington Beach.
Bob Long Ripper Victory Marq
----NT11 ----CHEAP 600+
Zombie Nation NT
Custom 2k2 Timmy ACS Body Spimmy
ANS Gen-X Autococker Adrenaline Angel LED Black Magic Autococker 2001 Angel LCD Dark Angel LED ReTro valve Automag

Last edited by #1P8ntballer : 11-24-2018 at 09:42 PM.
#1P8ntballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM #14
BMJoker
Seasonal Streetballer

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
The question....Who is behind it?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:38 PM #15
Trevor the great
theofficialPBNtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase.n View Post
Nothing’s for free, that’s not how the economy works buddy. More spending money equals more jobs and income for everyone, and more jobs and income means more spending money. #trump2020
Old 11-24-2018, 09:44 PM #16
vijil

Hmm.

Well... Good luck to them.

Last edited by vijil : 11-24-2018 at 09:53 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:45 PM #17
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
I don't follow pro paintball much, but I'd happily support this league if it helps divisional and professional events part ways. Pro ball needs to either be its own entity, play in to amateur paintball or not exist.

Nerds, not paying $2600 for D4 entry to subsidize your alleged "pro" tournaments.

WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:48 PM #18
Turbo9922

I'm excited about this new league. I remember watching the old xball tournament on TV and it's what made me fall in love with the sport. Making paintball a positive TV experience will be huge for the growth of the sport.
Spire III- Black
Ninja 77/45 - Green
PE Rain Jersey - Black
PBRack Flow pants- Black
Vforce Grillz - Black
Turbo9922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:49 PM #19
Doctoring
Champion Paintball

Doctoring owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Doctoring supports Ninja Paintball
I love this idea. I’m also super curious how inital teams are picked and if there is a relegation process. I’d love to be able to do anything to help this league too as I’ve believed this is something the sports needed for a long time.
Doctoring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:51 PM #20
chase.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor the great View Post
Nothing’s for free, that’s not how the economy works buddy. More spending money equals more jobs and income for everyone, and more jobs and income means more spending money. #trump2020
hey thanks for explaining that 'buddy'.

Funny thing is, I have a comfortable 6-figure salary. I feel like my post explained well that I have other hobbies (more expensive) that draw my time/attention/funds.

I realize nothing is free.

I was suggesting the NPL find ways to fund a webcast without charging a premium. Because, frankly, I am not willing to pay to watch paintball. At least not yet, maybe if I watched some tournaments live I would like it and want to watch more. As of now, I dont have the desire to pay to watch. I'm happy without.

Or as I also suggested, good recaps are sufficient.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:53 PM #21
paintballer3

paintballer3 helped look for balloons
paintballer3 posts videos on PbNation
Honestly. Take the NXL field. Chop it in half long ways. Do 3 on 3 race for 20 minutes. Each team can have 7 players.

Have 5 division in the USA, with 6 teams in each division. South West, North West, Midwest, South, and Northeast.

Each division meets up on a different Sunday and plays 1 match against another team. You can broadcast over TV each match in 1 3 hour block.

After each team plays each team in their division twice. The top team from each division and two wild cards move onto the play Offs

Everyone who is hating on my idea... wgn already did it and it was incredibly successful.
https://youtu.be/uSGNiHFhs2E

Play offs happen at a single event.
First the wild cards play each other. Then each division champion plays each other. Who ever scored the highest during the regular season plays the winner of the wild card match. Play offs continue until only two teams are left. The final teams play in the World Cup.

Want to expand into Europe... just create a new european division.

Last edited by paintballer3 : 11-24-2018 at 10:53 PM.
paintballer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.