PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 AM #85
zea

zea owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
zea owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
each is a good (and cheap) barrel for an alpha black?
i know it uses barrels from 98c, but all the barrels will fit?
zea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 01:45 PM #86
Whiteyboy

Whiteyboy is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Whiteyboy donated to help Peyton Trent
Whiteyboy supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by zea View Post
each is a good (and cheap) barrel for an alpha black?
i know it uses barrels from 98c, but all the barrels will fit?
Any 98c threaded barrel should fit. Depending on the outer diameter of the barrel, you may run into some issues with the shroud through.

Are you from Westchester County in NY?

Last edited by Whiteyboy : 05-20-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Whiteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 AM #87
red_ninja

very informative thread! thanks
red_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:14 PM #88
FlyByNight

Does anyone know if the Longbow barrel will fit on an X7 Phenom with its stock shroud?
FlyByNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM #89
emanuJ

thanks
emanuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 PM #90
Shattuck

I never understood all of the people going crazy over barrels. For the most part, they do absolutely nothing. The only three things that have any effect are diameter, ported vs. non, and length (though not in the way most people think.) Somehow there are still a ton of misconceptions about them, though.

First, diameter: Any barrel that you match to your paint will be the same. Diameter makes a difference with accuracy, but only when your barrel gets dirty. Two clean barrels will be equally accurate regardless of diameter (as long as they aren't chopping paint), as tested multiple times on a bench-viced marker at 100 yards. However, when you finally do chop or break paint in the barrel, a tighter bore makes for better tolerances and will be slightly more accurate until you get a chance to clean it properly, as larger bores give the gunk inside your barrel the opportunity to impart spin onto your paintballs. Also, avoid barrels with different bores (i.e. "steps" in the barrel). These retain any paint that breaks inside your barrel and has an even bigger negative effect on accuracy.

Porting vs. non-porting is still a debatable issue. Theoretically, a ported barrel will be more consistent and reduce noise. This is because a non-ported barrel reacts strangely to pressure at the very point that the paintball exits the barrel, sometimes warping trajectory. However, recent research is showing that while such an assertion is scientifically valid, testing has shown the difference to be negligible when human handling is concerned (and the difference is minuscule when shot from a vice, as well).

Finally, length. Anything shorter than 6 inches will have a very minor detrimental effect on accuracy, and anything higher than about 16 inches will make your marker inefficient in terms of gas usage. The funny thing is that barrel length between those extremes has nothing at all to do with accuracy. An 8 inch barrel is exactly as accurate as a 16 inch barrel. The only reasons to upgrade barrel length are for a difference in sound signature or for aesthetic reasons (because you think it looks cool.)

Some further clearing up: You don't need some super-fancy micro-sandblasted titanium barrel. The inside of your barrel is not going to make a noticeable difference on your accuracy, either. Punkworks tested this theory and even a $10 barrel that they sprayed inside with textured spray paint was hardly any less accurate than a top-of-the line barrel. There is a LOT of marketing hype with barrels.

Also a note on range: Barrel length does not affect your range. A paintball gun firing at a consistent velocity will launch paint exactly the same distance no matter what barrel you use (besides flatline.)

As for the flatline: I know it sounds cool, but avoid it. Yes, it gives you some extra range because of backspin, but at the end of its trajectory at max range you can literally catch the paintball it fired because it is almost floating. The biggest problem is that when a ball breaks in your barrel, you will not be able to clean it adequately. Broken paint in the barrel will negate any possible advantage the flatline gives you, and the barrel will be less accurate than even a stock 8 incher. It is also really easy to install just a hair off, which will wreck your accuracy.

In the end, there is a lot of "self-fulfilling prophesy" in regards to barrels. A player that assumes their shiny new barrel will make them more accurate becomes more confident and actually "tricks" themselves into becoming a better shot. There are very few ways to consistently make a marker more accurate:

Become a better shot. This takes practice and confidence.
Use high-quality paint.
Buy a marker with internals devoted to accuracy, such as a Phantom (or most decent pumps, for that matter.)
Use First Strike paintballs / markers. Yes, they really do work. Yes, they are stupidly expensive.
Use HPA instead of CO2. It is more consistent.

Hope this helps. If there is anything to take from this in a small summary:

Match your paint to your barrel.
Go for a barrel longer than 6 inches and shorter than 17, unless you don't mind using a bit more gas for longer barrels.
Don't buy barrels with multiple bore sizes ("steps").
Buy a barrel because you like the look or want a ported / nonported barrel, not because you want to be more accurate.

Last edited by Shattuck : 08-06-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Shattuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:39 PM #91
Nutrox

jj ceramic 14" or 12" Lapco bigshot! Both great barrels!
Nutrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:19 PM #92
theownist

theownist owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
theownist supports Team VICIOUS
theownist supports Team VICIOUS
theownist has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I say DW fibur. Great barrel
theownist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:31 PM #93
BSS_Blitzkrieg

BOA Concealer on my Phenom, shoots straight, never chops, extremely quiet, a bit heavy cause its made of brass, but hey, if an extra half pound is an issue for you, quit *****ing and hit the gym.
BSS_Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM #94
FlyByNight

We heard you the first time Anthony.

My suggestion is the FLASC barrel(s). It's hard to beat their flexibility.
FlyByNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM #95
p3ngu!n
oh looky, a penguin.

for the most part, you are correct. but depending on machining, it could affect accuracy because of machining errors or increased friction in other areas. velocity could also be dependent upon how polished the bore is. because friction = drag, and the less of that the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattuck View Post
I never understood all of the people going crazy over barrels. For the most part, they do absolutely nothing. The only three things that have any effect are diameter, ported vs. non, and length (though not in the way most people think.) Somehow there are still a ton of misconceptions about them, though.

First, diameter: Any barrel that you match to your paint will be the same. Diameter makes a difference with accuracy, but only when your barrel gets dirty. Two clean barrels will be equally accurate regardless of diameter (as long as they aren't chopping paint), as tested multiple times on a bench-viced marker at 100 yards. However, when you finally do chop or break paint in the barrel, a tighter bore makes for better tolerances and will be slightly more accurate until you get a chance to clean it properly, as larger bores give the gunk inside your barrel the opportunity to impart spin onto your paintballs. Also, avoid barrels with different bores (i.e. "steps" in the barrel). These retain any paint that breaks inside your barrel and has an even bigger negative effect on accuracy.

Porting vs. non-porting is still a debatable issue. Theoretically, a ported barrel will be more consistent and reduce noise. This is because a non-ported barrel reacts strangely to pressure at the very point that the paintball exits the barrel, sometimes warping trajectory. However, recent research is showing that while such an assertion is scientifically valid, testing has shown the difference to be negligible when human handling is concerned (and the difference is minuscule when shot from a vice, as well).

Finally, length. Anything shorter than 6 inches will have a very minor detrimental effect on accuracy, and anything higher than about 16 inches will make your marker inefficient in terms of gas usage. The funny thing is that barrel length between those extremes has nothing at all to do with accuracy. An 8 inch barrel is exactly as accurate as a 16 inch barrel. The only reasons to upgrade barrel length are for a difference in sound signature or for aesthetic reasons (because you think it looks cool.)

Some further clearing up: You don't need some super-fancy micro-sandblasted titanium barrel. The inside of your barrel is not going to make a noticeable difference on your accuracy, either. Punkworks tested this theory and even a $10 barrel that they sprayed inside with textured spray paint was hardly any less accurate than a top-of-the line barrel. There is a LOT of marketing hype with barrels.

Also a note on range: Barrel length does not affect your range. A paintball gun firing at a consistent velocity will launch paint exactly the same distance no matter what barrel you use (besides flatline.)

As for the flatline: I know it sounds cool, but avoid it. Yes, it gives you some extra range because of backspin, but at the end of its trajectory at max range you can literally catch the paintball it fired because it is almost floating. The biggest problem is that when a ball breaks in your barrel, you will not be able to clean it adequately. Broken paint in the barrel will negate any possible advantage the flatline gives you, and the barrel will be less accurate than even a stock 8 incher. It is also really easy to install just a hair off, which will wreck your accuracy.

In the end, there is a lot of "self-fulfilling prophesy" in regards to barrels. A player that assumes their shiny new barrel will make them more accurate becomes more confident and actually "tricks" themselves into becoming a better shot. There are very few ways to consistently make a marker more accurate:

Become a better shot. This takes practice and confidence.
Use high-quality paint.
Buy a marker with internals devoted to accuracy, such as a Phantom (or most decent pumps, for that matter.)
Use First Strike paintballs / markers. Yes, they really do work. Yes, they are stupidly expensive.
Use HPA instead of CO2. It is more consistent.

Hope this helps. If there is anything to take from this in a small summary:

Match your paint to your barrel.
Go for a barrel longer than 6 inches and shorter than 17, unless you don't mind using a bit more gas for longer barrels.
Don't buy barrels with multiple bore sizes ("steps").
Buy a barrel because you like the look or want a ported / nonported barrel, not because you want to be more accurate.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 PM #96
I Missed On Purpose
Team Jolt

hey im curious if someone could fill me in will the tpx take a freak kit or is it too big also how long is the stock barrel? Thanks and if someone could pm me this info or ill try and check back here thanks in advance.
I Missed On Purpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 PM #97
Husmann40
Hus'da'mann

wow guys. the flatline is the way to go for the A5. there is no comparison. it shoots so far and straight. its like the ball just floats....at high speeds...haha and it shoots straight and accurate
Husmann40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:00 PM #98
ShadowStrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husmann40 View Post
wow guys. the flatline is the way to go for the A5. there is no comparison. it shoots so far and straight. its like the ball just floats....at high speeds...haha and it shoots straight and accurate
How much does Tippmann pay you a year? In case you missed this a few posts up....

ShadowStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM #99
tloi26

thank you for the effort. Help me alot.
tloi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:11 PM #100
PBDrummer731

Thumbs up

awesome!!!!!!!!! thanks
PBDrummer731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:45 PM #101
chevyreyrey

i used to use a DW before i moved to my PE
chevyreyrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:52 PM #102
SVjOel

I like J&J 12" for the money its awesome sauce. altho gotta say my stock phenom barrel rocks.
SVjOel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:21 AM #103
RedTide

I use a 14" Smart Parts All American with an iFit and it is pretty darn accurate. With the iFit there is about 15.25" of barrel hanging out the end of my A-5.
RedTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM #104
Kellen713
Autobots Roll Out

Kellen713 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Most Def a good link
Kellen713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:26 PM #105
cnerem

i just got a 98 custom A.C.T what would be a good not too expensive barrel for some one starting out?
cnerem is offline   Reply With Quote