Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-21-2021, 05:59 PM #1
asdfasdf32

Anyone willing to help an old school paintballer get back in the game?

Hope everybody is well. Long story short: to say I'm out of date would be an understatement. I played paintball in the early 2000's through school and stopped around college. Because there's never been anywhere within 2-3 hours that was worth visiting, I haven't played since I was maybe 19 or so, which would have been around 2008. A local place opened a few months ago that I just found out about, and with spring right around the corner it got the juices flowing, and now I can't stop thinking about playing again. In the process of geeking out over this prospect, I happened to think about PBN, which I posted on frequently from around 2001-2007 as well, and lo and behold I still apparently have a username connected to my email that I must have signed up for years ago, probably the last time I thought about playing paintball I'm willing to bet.

Here's the deal: I'm normally frugal, but with this, I don't really have a budget. You can't buy happiness, but I suspect that I can buy nostalgia and maybe turn that back into a sorely-needed hobby again, so I'm going to give it a shot.

If you had an unlimited budget to start from scratch and outfit someone to play (initially) recreational paintball on a regular old speed- or hyper-ball course, what would you recommend?

I appreciate all the help in advance, thanks y'all.

Last edited by asdfasdf32 : 02-21-2021 at 06:02 PM.
asdfasdf32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM #2
Mr. Stealthy

has been a member for 10 years
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Id recommend the Planet Eclipse Etha 2 with a Virtue Spire IR or IR2, quality tank and pack of your choice. Get a quality mask that fits you well (some colors in the Vforce Grills are an extremely good deal right now). Enjoy and welcome back.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:44 PM #3
Blackrain7557
Most negative person ever

Blackrain7557 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Id recommend the Planet Eclipse Etha 2 with a Virtue Spire IR or IR2, quality tank and pack of your choice. Get a quality mask that fits you well (some colors in the Vforce Grills are an extremely good deal right now). Enjoy and welcome back.
I would agree with this. The Etha 2 is a rock solid marker and one of my brand new players used one to win his first ever tournament. Spire IR or IR2 would be a great loader on it.

I prefer the Virtue Vio2 or BunkerKings CMD masks, but the Grills are solid as well.
Blackrain7557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:48 PM #4
Tscottm1993

Just here for to follow along cause basically in the same boat. Slowly getting gear back n what not. Welcome back bud
Tscottm1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:28 PM #5
StringbeanofOswegoIL

I hear nothing but good things about both the Shocker amp and the MacDev markers. A lot of people like the planet Eclipse cs2 but I hear of reliability issues. I won't spend that kind of money so I shoot a DM 15 and the Dye M3+ mosair is probably a great choice as well. But I have no personal experience. Good luck.

Edit: Luxe is always a top option as well.

I also hear great things about the CTRL loaders but a lot of people use the spire as well.

The dye I5 mask has a cool adjustable (twist knob) head strap.

Lots of people love the Ninja SL (super light) tank with the proV2 regulator and it's adjustable output pressure and rotating reg. They also offer a SLP version which has a low output pressure of 350????

HK Army strapless pod packs are the thing now.

Keep us updated with what you purchase money bags. Haha

Last edited by StringbeanofOswegoIL : 02-22-2021 at 05:25 AM.
StringbeanofOswegoIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:00 AM #6
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Unlimited budget you say? Haha this could be fun. Too bad the Adrenaline Luxe isn’t available yet. Top of the line and absolutely beginner to old school’r friendly, either the Geo 4 or CS2PRO would be a great choice.
-Operation Paintball [ woodsball and speedball ]
-DBS Pro Shop and Outdoor Field
-Ryan Podesta Gunfightersports.com
2021 Setups Powered with Powerhouse Regs
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 280 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-CS2PRO w/Mech Frame, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, FS 77/4500 Tank, Dye LTR Loader, and Dye SS Boomie. [ woodsball]
2021 Speedball Team Gunís 4 Hire ( locals )
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:29 AM #7
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringbeanofOswegoIL View Post
I hear nothing but good things about both the Shocker amp and the MacDev markers. A lot of people like the planet Eclipse cs2 but I hear of reliability issues. I won't spend that kind of money so I shoot a DM 15 and the Dye M3+ mosair is probably a great choice as well. But I have no personal experience. Good luck.

I also hear great things about the CTRL loaders but a lot of people use the spire as well.

The dye I5 mask has a cool adjustable (twist knob) head strap.

Lots of people love the Ninja SL (super light) tank with the proV2 regulator and it's adjustable output pressure and rotating reg. They also offer a SLP version which has a low output pressure of 350????

HK Army strapless pod packs are the thing now.

Keep us updated with what you purchase money bags. Haha
Reliability issues with the CS2? No way, itís one of the most reliable designs on the market. You must be talking about some paint handling issues? As long as you keep up with a single o-ring (as in change it about once a season and check the fit every once in a while), you wonít have those either.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:55 AM #8
StringbeanofOswegoIL

It very well could be that the cs2 is so popular that it's only a small percentage that are having issues (like all manufacturers), but the volume of issues is there so it appears worse than it is. I would also say that it is probably the most desired marker at the moment so it must be a fantastic shooter.
StringbeanofOswegoIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:19 AM #9
asdfasdf32

Thanks for the tips everybody!

I've got a ton of questions so I'm going to keep reading for the moment and not ask anything too dumb. But a couple quick ones:

-I've been eyeballing the CS2 Pro but the M3 looks pretty cool as well. But then I look at the comparisons and it appears that functionally, the CS2 is just a slightly upgraded version of the 170R for twice the price or more - and I don't know that I'm qualified at this point to navigate that difference. Also, what's the diff with the M170R vs the regular 170R? I want to futureproof my purchase and buy the top of the line now since it appears the technology has mostly topped out at this point (I guess everybody decided spool valve was the way to go?) but I also don't want to blow almost $2k on a gun alone and waste that because I never use half the features.

-I'm out of date on the mechanical vs. electronic question here - I see lots of folks saying to buy an e-gun and then add a mech frame to it. Is this as simple as it sounds - and if so, what's the benefit, as I have to imagine the electronic frames would shoot faster?

-For tanks, remind me the difference between a 3000 and 4500 tank? Just efficiency or total space, or is there a performance difference?

-What's the true "Cadillac" of the following, because I want to spend the money on these for sure: Mask (I used to use a proflex fwiw), Hopper, Tank, Pack?
Old 02-22-2021, 04:02 PM #10
Noa Bo
Back Center = Bad Back

Annual Supporting Member
Noa Bo plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf32 View Post
Thanks for the tips everybody!

I've got a ton of questions so I'm going to keep reading for the moment and not ask anything too dumb. But a couple quick ones:

-I've been eyeballing the CS2 Pro but the M3 looks pretty cool as well. But then I look at the comparisons and it appears that functionally, the CS2 is just a slightly upgraded version of the 170R for twice the price or more - and I don't know that I'm qualified at this point to navigate that difference. Also, what's the diff with the M170R vs the regular 170R? I want to futureproof my purchase and buy the top of the line now since it appears the technology has mostly topped out at this point (I guess everybody decided spool valve was the way to go?) but I also don't want to blow almost $2k on a gun alone and waste that because I never use half the features.
The CS2 isn’t feature packed with gimmicks. Same with the Prime XTS. Both are just super simple simple and straightforward. CS2 just has better ergonomics as far as biggest separation from the 170R. Performance should be nearly identical. Prime, CS, 170R, they will last many years of use. The CS2 has the better mechanical upgrade imo though, if you’re interested in playing mech tournaments.
-I'm out of date on the mechanical vs. electronic question here - I see lots of folks saying to buy an e-gun and then add a mech frame to it. Is this as simple as it sounds - and if so, what's the benefit, as I have to imagine the electronic frames would shoot faster? Nowadays some of the new guns are starting to be able to transform back and forth. It’s for partly nostalgic reasons and in a way, able to keep the paintball experience fresh by introducing an old format but spruced up. My inner child/teen ( from the 90’s ) sees these new “space mechs” as gifts from the paintball gods. There is no benefit over an electro, unless you want even more reliability- zero board and battery issues, electronics in general to worry about.

-For tanks, remind me the difference between a 3000 and 4500 tank? Just efficiency or total space, or is there a performance difference?

-What's the true "Cadillac" of the following, because I want to spend the money on these for sure: Mask (I used to use a proflex fwiw), Hopper, Tank, Pack?
4500 just holds more air if I’m not mistaken.

“Cadillac”
-Mask is up to you.

-Hopper I’d say the Spire 4 and CTRL are two of the very best hoppers out right now, but I always have a Dye LTR in the gear bag just in case.

-Tank.. bottle only I’d say immortal air or first strike, but absolutely kit it out with a HAYMKR reg from Powerhouse.

-Pack. I like the strapless one from BNKR KINGS. Lasts season after season and works perfectly for what I want and need.
-Operation Paintball [ woodsball and speedball ]
-DBS Pro Shop and Outdoor Field
-Ryan Podesta Gunfightersports.com
2021 Setups Powered with Powerhouse Regs
-Prime XTS, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, HK 80/4500 Tank, Spire 280 Loader, and Dye UL-s barrel. [ speedball ]
-CS2PRO w/Mech Frame, Powerhouse Haymkr Reg, FS 77/4500 Tank, Dye LTR Loader, and Dye SS Boomie. [ woodsball]
2021 Speedball Team Gunís 4 Hire ( locals )
Noa Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:31 PM #11
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Big Papa Pink is BST Legit
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Big Papa Pink owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf32 View Post
Noa has you covered on the CS2 vs 170r. I will say I highly prefer the ergonomics and features of the CS2 over the 170r. A used CS2 in good shape will be close to what you would pay for a new 170r. I think the cost difference is worth it.

The m170r is the mechanical only version of the 170r. I would recommend picking up an electro if you are going to do some rec speedball or hyperball.

You can still get Proflexes, if you liked them, no reason to get anything different. My answers around the Cadillac of those 4 would be:
Mask: CMD. The best and most comfortable mask I have ever used. It breaths well, you can communicate well, and hear well in them.

Hopper: Spires are hard to beat. The Spire 4 is phenomenal. The Bunkerkings CTRL is also nice, but I find the Spire easier to use mainly because the power button locations.

Tank: I still use and recommend Ninja SL2 4500 PSI tanks with the Pro Reg in your choice of size. 68 Ci and 77Ci tanks are popular sizes. A 4500 PSI tank will hold more air and allow more shots than a 3k tank. If you want Cadi level gear, there is no reason to choose a 3k tank.

Pack: I have been using the Bunker Kings strapless packs since they were released. They are excellent, and I would not use anything else other than them today.

Current Dark Side Markers:
Active: Several Markers
Active Reserve: Many, Many More
Retired from Active Service: A Few limited edition yet fully functional markers
Big Papa Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 PM #12
Mr. Charlie
Scales CS1, M2, & M3s+

Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Charlie owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
I agree mostly with the other posters.

CS2, Geo 4 or M3+ would be the top picks for Markers. Spire 4 or CTRL for Loaders. Bunkerkings CMD or maybe Push Unite or Dye I5 mask, try them on first if possible I think you will find them all better than Proflexes but do you. Tank: bottle: First Strike or Infamous or Ninja SL2 68/4500 or 77/80/4500 Tank Regulator: Powerhouse Haymaker 500

Edit: BunkerKings or Virtue Strapless packs are the best. HK Army strapless has Velcro pod holders that wear out and drops pods.

Last edited by Mr. Charlie : 02-22-2021 at 09:29 PM.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:43 PM #13
AirAssault

AirAssault is a Supporting Member
AirAssault owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Anything Bob Long made will treat you right. Vice is inexpensive and looks great, efficient, light, did I say looks great yet? Mask what ever you like, I'm partial to Vforce Shields because it's full coverage. Pack? What ever you dig. Tank, same.... if you go vice or g6r or other Bob you can go smaller for weight savings. I rock 65's and 77's but had a 45/4500 on a set up and loved the weight or lack there of.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:23 PM #14
asdfasdf32

Beautiful. Thanks everybody, I've pretty much got everything but the mask and the gun nailed down thanks to you folks. Still ruminating on those so I'll be back soon and I'm looking for the first warm day in the next couple weeks to get out there and play again to make sure I'm not just nostalgic here and actually want to get into this again long term.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:49 PM #15
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
You’ll get hooked again. No doubt about it.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 AM #16
NJ721

I've been thinking about getting back into the game as well, the body on the etha 2 just looks so cheap to me. I think I might go for one of these cs1's or 170r myself. They look better im my opinion and it's right around the same price used
NJ721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:03 PM #17
Big Papa Pink
High-end Aficionado

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ721 View Post
I've been thinking about getting back into the game as well, the body on the etha 2 just looks so cheap to me. I think I might go for one of these cs1's or 170r myself. They look better im my opinion and it's right around the same price used
Welcome back. Either the 170r or CS1 would treat you very well. The CS1 will have the softer, swooshier shot you expect from a spool, while the 170r will feel like a lighter, tighter package overall with a snappy responsive shot. Overall, I would probably pick the 170r between the two as it is very reliable, efficient, quiet and easy on paint.