Community Focus

Old 06-25-2020, 06:34 PM #1
vmolo

I posted this in the barrel section but might get more interest here

Thread in barrel section:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=6017293

Video:
https://www.pbnation.com/out.php?l=h...e.com%2Fcw5p0y

In that post I have a video in which I was testing sound profiles of the UL tip vs the UL-S tip.

Ive seen some positive notes about the change to the sound profile but from my experiences the change is minimal, possibly even in the wrong direction.

Any thoughts or if my testing is bad or if you think it’s the microphones of 2 different devices both reading poorly?

Last edited by vmolo : 06-26-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Fixing the link to the thread with the video and adding the direct link to video.
vmolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2020, 02:17 AM #2
Mr. Charlie

It definitely produces a deeper/softer sound from your opponent’s point of view, which is what it’s supposed to do.

It definitely sounds louder right near and behind the Marker.
Dye Whiteout M3s, Dye Black and Silver IM Pro DSR+, MacDev Aqua Camo Clone GTI, and Black Empire Resurrection Pump - Ninja SL2 77/4500 tanks with PowerHouse TKO Tank Regulators - Spyder Sonix with Empire Pure Energy 48/3000 - Jax Shredders - CRBN Paintball - Punisher’s PB
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:38 AM #3
vmolo

Are you saying at the longer 70 range you think the S is quieter? I’m not as sure.

At the closer range it does not seem to be the case
Old 06-26-2020, 09:56 AM #4
Mr. Charlie

Yes, from your opponent’s point of view you will sound further away than you actually are.

I agree with it sounding louder right next to the Marker.

I was skeptical at first too, but I’ve had experiences while playing that prove to me that the Barrel Porting does help quiet the Marker down some. Like I’d be one Bunker away from an opponent and they had no clue I was there so I was able to Bunker them easily - they should have know I was there. Anecdotal evidence but still...

The best way is to give someone your Marker with both Barrels and then you go to the other end of the field and have them shoot towards you, then see which Barrel sounds quieter. I guarantee it will be the UL-S.

Mr. Stealthy was correct in your other thread when he said that John and Dye put a lot of engineering into this!
Dye Whiteout M3s, Dye Black and Silver IM Pro DSR+, MacDev Aqua Camo Clone GTI, and Black Empire Resurrection Pump - Ninja SL2 77/4500 tanks with PowerHouse TKO Tank Regulators - Spyder Sonix with Empire Pure Energy 48/3000 - Jax Shredders - CRBN Paintball - Punisher’s PB

Last edited by Mr. Charlie : 06-26-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:49 AM #5
sokopath
Kitty Amazing

has been a member for 10 years
 is playing at Living Legends XI
sokopath is Legendary
sokopath is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
Yes, from your opponent’s point of view you will sound further away than you actually are.

I was skeptical at first too, but I’ve had experiences while playing that prove to me that the Barrel Porting does help quiet the Marker down some. Like I’d be one Bunker away from an opponent and they had no clue I was there so I was able to Bunker them easily - they should have know I was there. Anecdotal evidence but still...

The best way is to give someone your Marker with both Barrels and then you go to the other end of the field and have them shoot towards you, then see which Barrel sounds quieter. I guarantee it will be the UL-S.

Mr. Stealthy was correct in your other thread when he said that John and Dye put a lot of engineering into this!
have you heard the difference with this barrel in the woods at all?
sokopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:31 PM #6
vmolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post

Decibel meter on its way I'll test at a larger variety of ranges.

I picked 35 feet for the shorter distance because it is further than most of the bunker distances. I'd expect at bunkering distances you're in the 10-15 foot range, so I'd expect the difference to be even less.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:13 AM #7
Mr. Charlie

^For the Bunker and how far apart I’d say there was about 25’ between us before I Bunkered him. Also, with two Bunkers between us and him having Dye I5s on.

There is a lot at play with the sound of Paintball Markers and even how you hear them. A Microphone or Decibel Meter might not pick up the slight difference in sound but it’s noticeably quieter to most Human ears.

I still look forward to seeing more “testing”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokopath View Post
have you heard the difference with this barrel in the woods at all?
I don’t think I’ve ever been against one in the Woods.

It might work even better there?
Old 06-29-2020, 09:29 AM #8
ironyusa

has been a member for 10 years
ironyusa works for a Paintball manufacturer
Unfortunately it's not that simple - look up weighted noise levels. We don't hear the same way as a mic on a camera. The UL-S was tuned to cancel certain frequencies more like a musical instrument.

METHOD Development
ironyusa is offline   Reply With Quote