PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Making the team (By PSUghost)

Alright, so I have no life and managed to get three articles up in 2 hours

this one is going to be broken into two parts, "Making the team" and "Making a team" so read which-ever one fits you best.

Making a team
-------------------
As the leader of a college team I am often asked "How did you do it? Get this thing started?" People look at my roster and are shocked when they see 30+ names on it. But getting to this point was no cake walk, but it was less trouble then many people would think.

Find a home: Somewhere around you is a "home field", someplace you can get to often and play at often and are prolly known by the owners/refs. This is the best place to start. Meet up with some of the walk ons who show up each week, make some friends, exchange numbers, find out when they are coming again. After a while you can make your own little group of people who play together. Then ask the ref if he can keep you all on the same team sometime...wow...did I just say team? Yeah it's really that easy.

Get organized: The first thing you'll need to figure out is who is the man in charge, someone has to make te arangements and have the final say in matters (And trust me it happens a lot that you need to have final say). That person does NOT need to be the commander on the field, but must be the off the field leader.

Where ya going?: It is important to figure out where you want to go with this team. Is this for fun? Is this to hopefully get good enough to get a sponsor? Is this an attempt to make a new pro team? Then figure out what events you want to do. 3, 5, 7, 10, x-ball?

Start small: Best place to figure out what works is to go to a local tournament or a small young guns event and try yourselves against the local talent. YES you WILL get romped. But you'll find some great teams to play with who are in your area, and remember you only get better by playing people better then you.

Sponsorship: Ah yes, that word that to many means "Free". Well I hate to break anyones bubble but the only people who get anything for free are the pro's and the am's who are good enough to be pro's. The rest of us have to deal with discount pricing and work/play deals. But DO NOT turn these offers down. One of the best and prolly first deals you should work out is if your home field will let you do a work/play deal. You work for them one day, and you play for free another day. This is how MANY teams get their practice's done. Most fields are more then happy to have you help out as it's cheaper for them, and it's better for you. That is what sponsorship is about, an agreement that helps BOTH parties. A very important thing to remember is that no one will sponsor a team unless it's good for their business. So make your name known, get in the magazines, get to big events, and meet people. A lot of it is who you know.

Live it up: At PSU we have the bonus that many of us live together, so we all kow each other both off and on the field. It is very important to trust each other and that trust is built be being together. So do non-paintball stuff. Play lasertag, go to the fair together, catch a flick....be a team.

Politics: Many people are scared of politics. Well I hate to tell you your going to deal with them. Not everyone on your team will like each other, some people will have different goals then others. As a leader you have to take each one in stride and decide if it's worth fighting for, or is it worth giving it up and letting the person "Be successful elsewhere"......

Still, no matter how many headaches I get, walking off that field, collapsing in exhaustion from our finals game, and dragging your team to the podium all teary eyed.. there is nothing like it. My teamates are now my brothers and I would never give that up.

Making The Team
---------------------
So you've found a good team you'd like to join. Now how to get there?

Finding a team: Best place to look is your home field. Sometimes the teams won't be there or might be reffing, ask the refs or the owners what the local sponsoered teams are at that field. They will gladly hook you up.

Follow Gear: As bad as it sounds a good way to tell how invovled a team is is by looking at their gear. A team in camo's with tippmans is prolly a team that does it for fun, which is perfectly okay if that is what your looking for, but won't be if your looking for a fast ride up in the world. Then again some teams have custom jerseys and $2,000+ guns, which is kinda out of the league of your Spyder Flash. So find a team that is about the same leel as you, one that wants to go the same places as you and you can grow with.

Meet the team: Talk it up, remember these guys have all prolly known each other a long time, so you gotta get to know them and befriend them. Find out if they could use you for the day or so if it's at a walk on event.

Don't rush them: These guys have a system going, so jumping in and saying "My name is Ted, can I join your team?" is not the way to do it. Play with them a few times, find out when they practice and offer to come watch, help out, or practice against them. Remember they want to be impressed by your skills first, then they'll be more willing to talk.

Play it up: Be a mad baller, show them your skills and be sure to be cool about it. No one likes to hear "I just shot out that angel guy with my spyder"....they would much rahter hear "Wow man, your good, you almost had me, glad I got you first".

Be a sit in: Sometimes teams will take potential new players to small events as alternates...it may not be a glorious job, but do it anyway. It shows your dedicated to the game and who knows, they may ask you to play a game.

In short finding a team is like finding friends, cause your teamates should be your friends. So don't rush, you got time, work on your skills and talk tot he people in charge...before you know it you'll be standing at the starting box, with 9 other players at your side screaming your head off getting ready to tool fools.

Last edited by PSUGhost : 08-05-2003 at 10:54 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 09:59 AM #2
PaintXxXBall

that was useful wana re type that in an e-amil JK
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 AM #3
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

FallNAngel is a Mega Moderator
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VIII
Nice article.. though you polotics is spelled politics
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 AM #4
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

so sue me....try writing 3 artilces in 2 hours...your spelling will go to the dogs as well...
Old 08-05-2003, 11:02 AM #5
MoogLe
Life = Piece of cheese

MoogLe plays in the PSP
MoogLe owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
MoogLe plays in the APPA D4 division
MoogLe supports Ninja Paintball
lol man why dont you worl for a magazine, these are really good,

btw what does the PSU in your name mean
Old 08-05-2003, 11:33 AM #6
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

psst...MoogLe....read under my screen name and in my signiture...if your still stumped let me know...

And I don't work for a magazine cause then you guys would have to pay for these
Old 08-05-2003, 11:50 AM #7
XcaL

nj man... i'm liking you more and more by each post...
Old 08-05-2003, 12:22 PM #8
2k1Vertcocker{2k1}

these are really great articles...great for anybody that wants to attemp to start a team
Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 PM #9
MoogLe
Life = Piece of cheese

MoogLe plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally posted by PSUGhost
psst...MoogLe....read under my screen name and in my signiture...if your still stumped let me know...

And I don't work for a magazine cause then you guys would have to pay for these
lol i see, i dont usually relate paintball with schools so yea

must be cool to play in a colleage team
Old 08-05-2003, 11:21 PM #10
Cobra-LCD-Angel

your a good writer. i suck at writing and spelling and stuff like that.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:58 AM #11
nickiswack

whats funny is i played in a local tourny, and a whole bunch of **** went wrong half the games are back players gun was broken or he ran outta air, we still cmae in 6th outta 12th, it kinda makes me wanna try again and come in 1st
Old 08-06-2003, 09:14 AM #12
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

Quote:
Originally posted by MoogLe
must be cool to play in a colleage team
Playing for a college is one of the best things I have ever done. I get to play paintball with a serious team, we compete with other college students (as well as in open events), we're recognized. And I wouldn't trade my teamates for anything in the world. We all basically live together and to quote one of them "The Penn State Paintball Team Rolls Deep!"
Old 08-06-2003, 12:48 PM #13
MoogLe
Life = Piece of cheese

MoogLe plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally posted by PSUGhost
Playing for a college is one of the best things I have ever done. I get to play paintball with a serious team, we compete with other college students (as well as in open events), we're recognized. And I wouldn't trade my teamates for anything in the world. We all basically live together and to quote one of them "The Penn State Paintball Team Rolls Deep!"
sounds awesome man
Old 08-07-2003, 03:02 PM #14
Absolution

I had the opportunity of reffing these guys at the NCPA Nationals in Chicago. I was on one of the south airball fields. The one that finals were played on. They played pretty well, but i think Illinois took the tourney home.

btw: what's the name of that asian(?) chic on your team...she's quite attractive

Keep up the good work on these articles, and your jerseys are the best out of all the colleges.

MY FEEDBACK
Old 08-07-2003, 04:36 PM #15
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ROTFL....Jenni has an admirer...

Yeah, shameless plug, PSU has the best looking girls on our team of any team!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I too like the PSU jerseys

And yes, Illinious Won nationals.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:29 PM #16
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
Irish,

Not everyone makes terrible decisions like the 3 pictured above. We've got good mixes of Intimidators, Cockers, and Matrixes...

As you can see though, we do have some Angel *****s...

Jom
Old 08-08-2003, 12:17 AM #17
4d4m |3

gj on all of these threads. they are great
Old 08-08-2003, 06:45 AM #18
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

Actually if you think about it Jon, Everyone on PSU Blue has an angel.

And yes Irish, it's just like any other college sports team, you have to go to the school in order to be part of the team.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:29 PM #19
LftTape

Another good article...We should sticky this one too
Old 12-18-2003, 07:02 PM #20
Dharkan

Excellent articles PSU, I live in a small town thats about 40 mins to an hour away from a field. I would like to start a paintball team and go play in leagues but we just dont have the access to sponsers! Again I loved your articles!
Old 12-18-2003, 07:53 PM #21
Cheez-It

great article man, im glad you took the time to show people how its done. 0ne thing i disgree with, you dont have to be pro or am to get sponsership, my team is techinicaly a "rookie" team were under 1 year tournament experince, weve only played in 4 tournaments as a team, and we already got 2 sponsorships who think we can be good. So dont get your hopes down if your starting a new team or just joined a new team. Our first tourny we got ROCKED big time, we practiced alot more, met some good tourny players and played our next tourny a month later and took 2nd out of 24 teams. So even if you get owned acouple tournys dont think your bad, everyone gets owned when they start out.
Closed Thread