Old 08-05-2003, 08:07 AM #1
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
School, to school fools (By PSUghost)

Alright fools, school is now in session...and today we're going to be getting homework...yes homework. We're talking about practicing and drills.

Why drill? A lot of people will ask you that, sure it may not be half as fun as really playing but you can only learn so much from playing. Your doing som many things at once that you can not focus on one skill, so drilling takes over. Also drills use up a lot less paint then actually playing- which is always good for the pockets.

In my expereince I have found that games are much better used for drills then simply doing some skill. So here is a list of some activities we do for PSU:

Taps: This is a favorite of both fronts and backs a like as it helps both out. Have your back players (2 or 3) start at their "Key 3, 5, 7, 10" bunkers in the back, have your fronts (gun's are optional as fronts don not return fire) start at the starting box on the otehr side of the field. When the whistle blows the bakc players attempt to hit the fronts (practicing laneing and hitting a target that's exposed for short runs) while the fronts objective is to "tap" every single bunker on their half of the field, ending with the center 50. It's VERY tiring, but do it 3-4 times and suddenly you can run through walls of paint without a problem.

Can-Can: This is how I learned to snap shoot. Take one player and place him at one bunker at the 10 or 20, then take another player and place him at the 50-60. Have the two of them snap-shoot at each other. We usually play till 5 hits. No point stopping the drill for one hit, unless it's a google hit. We also have a coach running around kicking our feet in, or telling us to get closer, ect...have someone watch you to point out what you did wrong.

Trap shoot: Keying off the break is an important skill. So try this one. Take your backs and place them on a line (doesn't need to be ont he field). Have them start in their starting positions. Now take 2 or 3 pods or gatorade bottles and on the whistle throw them out into the air, kinda like trap shooting. Obviously the backs jobs is to hit the bottles. If you can get into position, aim, and hit something the size of a bottle, then you will have no problem hitting a person off the break.

Slide: You can do this one without even any paint. Heck I practice in the halls of my dorm sometimes. Simply put on your knee pads and pants and work on your slides. Hipslides (On the side of your hips), knee slides (Both knees), dives (SUPERMAN!!), and Butt slides (go in like a hip slide and then turn your weight so you slide on your butt...makes for less "Pretty Time" but puts your head up higher.

Break outs: The first 15 seconds of any game are the most imporant, so play 15 second games. Put them in the box, call the game, let people break out and finish getting pretty then do it again.

Code word: Many people hate this one, but it's effective to get people to listen up. Run a skrimage, while the game is going on have a ref walk up tot he back center and give him a code word, "Apple Pie" for example. He then has to pass the code word on to all the members of his team. Do this about 3 or 4 times..then after the game get everyone together and ask them to recite the code words, in private...if one person get's it wrong, they do it again. Works very quickly to get people to listen to their backs and to pass information along to otehr players...and to insure they hear it.

Skrimage: There are still things you have to play to learn. Things such as the difference in sound of a gun with and without paint, how to tell what way someone is looking when you bunker them, even how to work on your communication...so try out your news skills while your at it too.

Drills can only teach you as much as the people you drill with. Obviously you'll learn how to snap shoot much quicker with someone who is a better snapshot then you. The same is true for just about everything else. You have to play people better then you to get better. So don't get mad when you lose, thank the person for helping you become a better player. Find out what you did wrong, maybe they will help you out...then someday they will have to thank you, for the severe pasting you just gave them.

Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2003, 12:53 PM #2
Gixelz

nice article again ghost
Old 08-05-2003, 01:27 PM #3
paintballer518

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixelz
nice article again ghost
Old 08-05-2003, 01:27 PM #4
XcaL

nice
Old 08-05-2003, 02:02 PM #5
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
Great article ghost... Now we have to DRILL you to shoot leftie out that can

Jom
Old 08-05-2003, 02:12 PM #6
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Been working on it all summer Jom Boy...

Last edited by PSUGhost : 08-05-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:23 PM #7
1+1=2

My favorite one so far.

Infamous fan club member #49

My PBN Feedback
Old 02-18-2005, 05:59 AM #8
johnson807

High quality stuff Ghost.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:46 PM #9
[RIT]The Yellow Dart
Alpha Paintball Tech

[RIT]The Yellow Dart is a Supporting Member
its always nice to see what the enemy is doing . j/k man...awesome article. I'll have to try some of these that we dont do out next practice. I especially like the code word idea. some people on this team really need to learn how to communicate better. plus it'll just be humerous to hear backmen shouting nonsense.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 AM #10
Dynasty_Fan#1
(702) 398-3085

nice post it's helpful
Old 02-19-2005, 11:01 AM #11
Tamato2TaMato

Quote:
Originally posted by [RIT]The Yellow Dart
its always nice to see what the enemy is doing . j/k man...awesome article. I'll have to try some of these that we dont do out next practice. I especially like the code word idea. some people on this team really need to learn how to communicate better. plus it'll just be humerous to hear backmen shouting nonsense.

if ANY of you didint no, this was revivieing a dead thread that was 2 years old.. why?
Old 02-19-2005, 11:08 AM #12
[RIT]The Yellow Dart
Alpha Paintball Tech

[RIT]The Yellow Dart is a Supporting Member
woah...****. didnt even see that 1+1=2 upped this thing from page 12093. sorry bout that
Old 02-19-2005, 11:24 AM #13
Tamato2TaMato

it wasnt you, check the date on the few posts before you..

08-05-2003 03:12 PM

THIS IS BY PSU

02-18-2005 12:23 AM

THIS IS BY 1+1=2

its not your fault at all, this dude is ignorant...
Old 02-21-2005, 03:10 AM #14
Dynasty_Fan#1
(702) 398-3085

didnt see that this page was upped so far either my bad.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:11 AM #15
BloatedGoat

as a rule of thumb, never up a psughost article. they are already linked to in a sticky, and they are all very old.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:23 PM #16
Phat Phill

Re: School, to school fools (By PSUghost)

yes i know this is dead but people have been replying to it recently and i was just wondering why is there a picture of someone shooting righthanded out of the left side of a bunker. thats a no no

Quote:
Originally posted by PSUGhost

Old 03-18-2005, 04:01 PM #17
Bluewolf
ǝıd

Re: Re: School, to school fools (By PSUghost)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat Phill
yes i know this is dead but people have been replying to it recently and i was just wondering why is there a picture of someone shooting righthanded out of the left side of a bunker. thats a no no
Smaller profile. If you shoot right handed out of the right side then your hand that's pulling the trigger will stick out.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:43 PM #18
Phat Phill

but shooting right handed out of the left side means you have to expose much more of your body than you would to shoot at it left handed
Old 03-28-2005, 10:39 AM #19
SpadesoftheAces

hes not shooting out of the bunker forward, it seems he is shooting at a target that is moving to a bunker along the side, such as the snake
Old 03-28-2005, 10:57 AM #20
Petis_spyderman
Soberity Kills Me.

way to bring up a 2 year old thread...
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 AM #21
hand of god
i luv kif :dodgy:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixelz
nice article again ghost