Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 02:33 PM #1
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Off the Break- for a front (By PSUghost)

Many people have argued over what is the best gun, or the best paint, or the best mask in paintball, but the one thing you will almost never hear anyone argue over is what is the most important part of the game of paintball. That would be the break. The first ten seconds of every game... when you are either made, or broken.. So what is the secrets of "The Break"? Let's take a look:

Before the game: Walk the field. I can not say this enough, you need to know that field inside out, upside down, and backwards. There has even been a few games where I have gone blind from splatter and had to play the rest of the game with just my back man and my memory. When you walk the feild it is important to remember that your opponent is not dumb, I usually find where I would like to go and walk the field as if I was going there. Then I will walk the field with one of our backmen, have him tell me where he would be shooting, if one of them made the move I was trying to make. After seeing that I correct my first bunker, and have a back review it and the proccess continues till you have a plan of how to get there and limited exposure.

What to look for?: Look for virtual walls of bunkers. Sure the Center 50 is no where near that left 30 doritto, but if you run at just the right angle, the two bunkers keep you hiden for the entire run. Also, never lose track of those back cans, remember they (and snake killers) are a fronts worse nightmare...and a back players h**l as well.

In the box: Alright, you got two choices here...either have your own space and be nice and comfortable before the start and get yourself spanked...or go with a little less comfort and a possible win. What do I mean by this? Well it's easiest if I tell it to you from my own point of view. My back player gets to his position ready to fire and key off the break. I need something good to push off of, so I use his feet. I put my feet on top of his feet. He then puts his knee up against either the small of my back or my butt....When the whistle blows as he turns to shoot his knee gives me a push and I push off his feet slowing his turn and getting a little extra speed, so it works for both of us. Is aukward but it worth it.
Also something else that makes many people feel aukward is running with their gun in the wrong hand. If I am running to the left I want my gun in left hand so that my body (which is soft and has a chance for a bounce) covers my gun (which is hard and will not bounce).

Run like a bat out of...: I shake my head in greif everytime I see a front runner shooting his gun as he runs to his bunker. If you try to shoot and aim you have to run to slow, if you don't aim your just wasting paint...either way it means you have time to waste that could be spent moving even farther up the field...leave the shooting to the backs, that is why they carry 12,000 pods.

Listen: Once again your most powerful tool is your other sences then your eyes. Listen to each bunker you run past. Are balls hitting it meaning someone has a line on you? Or do you hear silence meaning no one cares about little old you and you can bust all the way up the field? When playing Airball here is a tip, Tap-n-Bounce. Pick a close first bunker, run to it like it's your final bunker. As you run up to it tap the bunker lightly with your palm, as you move to the next one. This does two things, it confuses the other teams back players as to where you really are, and if you hear the bunker getting lit up you can grab a good chunk of bunker and pull yourself back in an abort the run in mid stride....takes a lot of practice, but is a perfect trick.

Slides: Never end your run with a prissy little tip toe into the bunker, unless you'd like the other teams back players to leave a nice one on your @$$. Slide in, or for low snakes and such, dive. Then remember what I told you about "Pretty time" keep it limited. From there read the other articles in this series to play the rest of the game out...

Back players- stay tuned for "Off the Break- for a back" coming soon...
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 PM #2
Llama08

nice.cant wait for the back man one, and for the end game parts (hopefully)
Old 07-31-2003, 03:11 PM #3
DeathFrog

ghost your posts are always awsome

write one up for middle man also... thats usually where I play...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 PM #4
Warhawk2

YES!!! He posted the next one. Ghost ****ing kicks ***
Old 07-31-2003, 03:53 PM #5
P8ntBall2X

Quote:
ghost your posts are always awsome
Hell ya they are and they always are full of good info

Last edited by P8ntBall2X : 07-31-2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:16 AM #6
MoogLe
Life = Piece of cheese

MoogLe plays in the PSP
MoogLe owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
MoogLe plays in the APPA D4 division
MoogLe supports Ninja Paintball
i'm gonna print this not patient enough to sit here and read all that
Old 08-01-2003, 12:22 AM #7
aznnonstop

psu u r very helpful u have improve my game by 100%
( '.' )
(")("))*
Old 08-01-2003, 12:43 AM #8
automagsrule

you also forgot to mention. hold a pod in your free hand and off the break dop it for your backs to pick up while they are laning paint for you.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:09 AM #9
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

Good point Automags, you just got to watch out as some tournaments count dropped pods as a part of the body and won't let you beyond 10 feet of them as long as they are full. Check the rules at your local tournament before you try that trick.

There is also the trick of brining along an empty Pod. If I notice a hole in a bunker I need to crawl past, and I am fairly sure they will be gunning for that hole, I will crry and empty pod and shove it in the hole to block the line. Again check youfr local events rules to see if empty pods need to be taken with you or not.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:28 AM #10
automagsrule

hey, the empty pod thing is good. And all this time I'd just go and waste balls on a bunker to have enough room to refill...
Old 08-01-2003, 06:28 PM #11
Gamron
Ridiculously Good Looking

I'd love you... but your a guy

HUSTLERS GRAB YOUR GUNS

:'(=YOU

My Absence, and My Addiction
Old 08-01-2003, 06:48 PM #12
automagsrule

well, technically, you could still love him...
Old 08-01-2003, 07:14 PM #13
P8ntBall2X

Quote:
Originally posted by automagsrule
well, technically, you could still love him...
Ya but thats kind of weird.

But he does have the best threads as far has with info.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:12 PM #14
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

Quote:
I'd love you... but your a guy
I'll just take your admiration and thanks if that is alright
Old 08-03-2003, 11:46 PM #15
aznnonstop

lol this dude is kewl
( '.' )
(")("))*
Old 08-16-2004, 07:23 PM #16
Seef
ECFL

very informational but some pro teams do shoot of the break goin to the 50... I was just informed of this from a friend.

***215***
Old 08-16-2004, 07:29 PM #17
Flesh Eater
Mr. Rook

dont revive old threads.

Yes it is true. I'm back!!

Creator of:
How to Fine Tune your DM4/5/C/Proto
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM #18
Delirium Trigger
I was a lot of things...

Yeah well basically most people have to worry about either shooting or running... once you're more experienced you can do both; you see this a lot in xball, people shoot and run, or shoot then run. In the past couple of years a lot of what used to be cardinal rules have been starting to be broken, like running and shooting, shooting from the hip, only posting on one side of the bunker (doing a specific job), or coming over the top. As we get better as players we develop better technique and are able to do these things effectively.
Robert Rivera formerly #86
Penn State Paintball Legend
Old 08-16-2004, 07:47 PM #19
nt2004

you bastards get his threads closed all the time by reviving them. DONT UP OLD THREADS
Old 08-16-2004, 07:54 PM #20
Delirium Trigger
I was a lot of things...

my bad i just saw it up here and figured it was a new one
Robert Rivera formerly #86
Penn State Paintball Legend
Old 08-16-2004, 10:13 PM #21
ihaveanoutkast

OTB is also where people whipe the most too.

who needs camo? honestly? i play *** naked with some body paint on to match the bunkers. no one sees me until im right next to em, and when they open their eyes they think "is that dude ****ing naked?" and while they are pondering i shoot em up....simple as that.
""[i]"Originally posted by Eclipsed
how about no...go post in a ****ty little forum like kingman where nobody matters "
Closed Thread