PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM #1
DreadCraig

MiniMap For Paintball

Hey Scenario Players,

Our team, PC Paintball has gotten tired of having trouble locating each other on the field, so we created and just launched a Free android app, called TacMap, which is pretty much a video games mini map but in real life. (And we just got word that Viper himself has downloaded it!)

It displays the GPS location of all your teammates on a satellite image, allowing you to easily find your battle buddies on unknown fields. You can change your symbol and mark enemy positions simply by touching the map! No more just shouting over the radio, let your team see with their own eyes.

We bought jogging arm cases for our phones and they work great to hold your phone. I'v already taken a paintball to the side of mine, and it is still working fine.

Check it out by searching TacMap or "Scenario Paintball" on the Google Playstore, or by clicking this link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....com.mysqltest

We appreciate all feedback, which can be sent to [email protected]. Tacmap is made by college students and any advice you give on how to improve the app will be rapidly implemented, though lots of new features are already on the way:
Navigation
Drone Control
Text Messaging
And more!

Please note that PC paintball is careful about your privacy. All your location and CallSign data is destroyed when you logout.

We will be giving demos at Battle of Hoth at Blastcamp and Living Legends at CPX! Hopefully we get some feedback on what people want so it is even better than it is now by then.

Enjoy,

The PC Paintball crew
DreadCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2015, 08:37 PM #2
DreadCraig

Also, we don't make any money off this app so I hope this doesn't count as "corporate spam". We're just looking to add a little more cyber to scenario paintball
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 AM #3
bigbrad
ROCKSTAR

bigbrad owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigbrad owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
bigbrad has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bigbrad supports Ninja Paintball
This sounds very cool!! Any chance of a compatible iPhone app in the future?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 AM #4
DreadCraig

Thanks for the interest!

An iPhone app is one of our top priorities, and is in the works. We hope to be beta testing the iPhone app during Living Legends. Without iPhone support we realize we are leaving out a great deal of players and I will be personally taking the lead in developing it. The app will be fully compatible across devices though, have no fear.

However I am about to graduate university this December and am heavily in a job hunt. So as soon as I get good employment I'll be able to spend real time on iOS development.

Hopefully we get some feedback on the android app to make the iPhone one perfect the first time.

Hope this answers your question and I'll gladly answer any more.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM #5
bigbrad
ROCKSTAR

bigbrad owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bigbrad owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
bigbrad has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bigbrad supports Ninja Paintball
Absolutely it does! How very exciting- and congrats on your impending graduation!
Post up if you need beta testers- I'm sure that many of the folks here would love to help, myself included!

Best of luck!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:04 PM #6
DreadCraig

Good deal and thank you,

We will post here when the time comes. Hopefully real soon!
Old 10-11-2015, 11:20 PM #7
NargofWoV
Team Capital Offense

NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends VII
NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends VIII
NargofWoV is playing at Living Legends IX
NargofWoV owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Hmm, never considered taking my Cell Phone out on the field.
NargofWoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:27 PM #8
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
 is playing at Living Legends XI
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
dreadmuppet owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
dreadmuppet is Legendary
dreadmuppet supports Ninja Paintball
This looks very cool. I will not ask you if a Windows app will be made, but will definitely try it out when I switch back to Android.

Instagram * NHW Paintball * Facebook

"Originally posted by Joshisanalligator: buddy, we're on the internet. just be thankful there's a central topic to this argument"

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 PM #9
Cookies12
GEO 3.5

Cookies12 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Cookies12 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Would love this for the iPhone
Cookies12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 PM #10
DreadCraig

NargofWoV - My buddy and I started taking our phones out into fields when we realized how convenient it is to put "talk-headphones" in and have an open line of communication even when your fifty yards away. Not having to yell allows you to not reveal your location and plans. Opening a conference call allows three or four people to get in on it. I'v been shot in my phone when it was is in my pocket, and with my Otterbox there was no damage, though it was a long ball and it probably would not have broken otherwise.

Now we use armored arm bands so we can wear the phone on our wrist and see the TacMap, just like those guys in Jurassic Park! If your located around NW Indiana we suggest coming to Battle of Hoth at BlastCamp, it was great last year and we will be doing a demo there this winter.

dreadmuppet - Sup Dread!!! Righteous name. We hope you switch back soon!! Unfortunately the plan is perfecting our Android app then adding IPhone and Windows. I have heard of people using emulators to run .apk files (android apps) on their Windows phone but we have no idea if that will work for this.

Cookies- We are hoping to get the IPhone app up for Living Legends this year! Nobody should be left out of the Planet Craig "Cyber Paintball" Revolution! The more people that install and suggest upgrades to the Android version, the sooner we can afford an Apple Dev license and the more perfect we can get it the first time!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:29 PM #11
gmalenko

gmalenko is playing at Living Legends IX
@DreadCraig - I like this idea. What headsets do you use for "conference call" when playing? What do you use an app instead of making calls? Do you do something like freeconferencecall.com?
gmalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:27 PM #12
DreadCraig

@gmalenko I just web searched "Bud Headphone Microphone" and this was the one of the first to come up (When I get things for my friends I always get myself a cool black or blue one and try to get them pink):

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...=42-87755215-2

costs less than 10 bucks. As for conference calls if you have an android normally when your in or making a call there is a button that says add call, it's right by the red end button. I have Sprint so it doesn't cost me anything extra. It simply adds a call. One time my buddy got hit in the throat mid sentence while we were doing this, the ball also hit the hang up button on his headphones. It was pretty cool to just hear him cut out, like out of a movie, I'd love a way for it to always cut out when hit so there's no talking dead.

I don't really do this in Scenario, especially now that all us Android users have TacMap, but it's good fun in. Haha just make sure if your doing it your on my side
Old 10-16-2015, 05:29 AM #13
gmalenko

gmalenko is playing at Living Legends IX
DreadCraig

Essentially, you use a regular pair of headphones. Good to know. Was thinking you used a cheapy bluetooth headset or maybe there was a throat mic type set that is use-able.

As far as a conference all is concerned. I play with a group of guys and I know my phone is limits the amount of calls I can join (which is 2). I was thinking a service like freeconference call would help if someone disconnects.
gmalenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:07 AM #14
mariol
aka 'Da Pope'

has been a member for 10 years
mariol owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
DreadCraig,

I am curious to know how does your app stand apart from some of the other paintball map apps that are available?

Not trying to slight yours but just asking.

WHOSE YOUR POPE?
YETTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIII!/Team Douche Bag
RTM Contract player
mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:00 AM #15
sirX
The next Jeremy Salm

sirX donated to help Peyton Trent
sirX helped look for balloons
sirX is reppin' sidebar 4 life
sirX supports Ninja Paintball
I wasn't aware there were other paintball map apps...
Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 AM #16
mariol
aka 'Da Pope'

has been a member for 10 years
mariol owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirX View Post
I wasn't aware there were other paintball map apps...
There at least 2 that I know that are available for Android and I think IPhone.

WHOSE YOUR POPE?
YETTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIII!/Team Douche Bag
RTM Contract player
mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:08 PM #17
DreadCraig

Great Question!

Before we started making this app after the last Battle of Hoth, we did a quick search for something like what we have since accomplished and found nothing. It was only after we started Beta testing this August that we realized that attempts at a real time minimap had already been made.

Fortuitously, our ignorance allowed us to create the app exactly the way we wanted, without being influenced by shortcuts that other apps have taken. Our simple login and map view system, our complete dedication to user privacy(I have seen no such promises from other apps) , our lack of any annoying advertising, our variety of selectable symbols (you can even send me your team symbol and I'll add it to the app), all combine with the high quality software we have designed to provide the best minimap for the battlefield. Neither BattleTac or Overwatch will be able to compete with our app and its upcoming updates by the time scenario season rolls around this spring. And just wait until you see the UAV controls I am waiting to add.

This app was designed by Scenario players from the ground up with the intention to use it on the field with 1000's of others. Our dedication to the sport and world of paintball makes the difference, and will guarantee consistent updates to lessen the massive load that radio operators have to suffer through on game days instead of ballin out on the field.

We have a new update coming out in the next few weeks providing a unique menu for creating, displaying and selecting from available missions provided to commanders to help your team max its points. Also we are working with a large scenario producer to create objectives worth some serious points that will appear exclusively on TacMap. What other app is doing that?

Our greatest strength though will be our willingness to work with users to make sure that they have the exact app they want to have. So any advice is extremely appreciated!!

Thanks,,

Dread and the PCP crew
Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM #18
82nd Armored Recon

This looks very useful. thx
82nd Armored Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:06 PM #19
vitaminj

This is totally cool and could add a completely new dimension to paintball if taken far enough. Everyone already has a phone so it wouldn't be any extra cost to use.

I imagine using this to coordinate throughout a long scenario game over a large area. Everyone could look at the map to see the hot battles or objectives and the generals could use it to tell the team where they need reinforcements.

You could add voice messaging and a button a player presses when they are shot out to show them dead.

I'm going to try to get some local guys to start using it.
vitaminj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:13 PM #20
DreadCraig

82nd- Thanks!

vitaminj- We currently have symbols you can select from. It would totally be possible to add a button that just changes your symbol to a dead symbol, so thanks, great idea. I just need to think of what symbol to use, maybe a tombstone or something. On that idea I should probably add a red cross symbol for a need medic symbol too, though medics normally have a harder time getting to the hit than finding them...

I'v been playing paintball since I was in elementary school but only started doing scenario games two years ago. Knowing what the generals want and where the points are can be very mysterious to most players, so a team making good use of this app will have a major advantage when they start getting a whole team to get objectives and keeping the enemy from getting theirs..
ReplyScenario Ups