Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM #1
izrn
Throwin bows

has been a member for 10 years
izrn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Question for Robbo and the rest of London Nexus

What in your opinion is the difference on the style of play between European and US players. May it be Xball or 7 man. Thank you in advance

izzy
**RETIRED**
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2005, 06:47 PM #2
<("<)
One Among the Fence

<("<) is a Supporting Member
From what I have read by Robbo in PGI, US players are better freestyle ballers. Throw 5 American players on an Xball field against 5 Euro players with no gameplan, and the Americans will probably win. We are also more aggressive(has more to do with resources and sponsors available to us).
Old 04-28-2005, 10:24 PM #3
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 is a Supporting Member
ThatGuy86 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy86 supports our troops
ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally posted by <("<)
From what I have read by Robbo in PGI, US players are better freestyle ballers. Throw 5 American players on an Xball field against 5 Euro players with no gameplan, and the Americans will probably win. We are also more aggressive(has more to do with resources and sponsors available to us).
I believe that article had more to do with the RL, and their domination over the field. Robbo mentioned that the Legion plays by game plans, and as long as everything goes like they want they really can't lose. It's when a game drags on, and the Legion doesn't have a set plan, that the American freestyle ability shines.

Also, there is a major difference between 7 man and XBall. XBall allows for game plans, because of the large number of games. In the event a game does not go as planned, you have more opportunities to make up for the missed point. 7 man, on the other hand, does not offer the same second chance opportunity. If your plan falls apart, you have to rely on instinct, and essentially "freestyle" your way to victory.

I would think the same applies to most of the European teams, but I could be wrong. I do know that Nexus has a few extremely talented freestylers, so much so that the RL actually borrowed a few of the guys to help out.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-29-2005, 02:49 AM #4
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Robbo is a Supporting Member
Robbo supports Bob Gurnsey
IZM, I think if you were to take the average Euro team as against the average Yank team the following points could be observed with regard to their level and style of play.

The American teams would undoubtedly be more aggressive and I also think the Americans would be slightly better on a technical basis.
There are many reasons why this should be, not least of which is the relative sizes of the cherry-picking pools between the US and Europe.
There are many times more players in the US than in Europe, but this disparity doesn't explain the stylistic differences.
The dissimilarity may well have its roots firmly embedded in the differing cultures in that the average American youth is a lot more outgoing and gregarious as against the more conservative Euro.

The Yanks are brilliant at freestyling (Dynasty) with the technical, pre-planned approach best exemplified by the Russian Legion.

This leads to a classic and fantastic clash of styles as we get to see both philosophies collide head on like a frikkin train crash with each other in the two greatest paintball teams the world has ever seen.
Now make no mistake about it, Dynasty and Legion are the best there is, other people can argue other teams into that frame but trust me, the people really in the know about paintball acknowledge these two teams are the best.

But unfortunately the Russkies are not representative of the rest of Europe, they are a one-off and teams like Nexus, Joy Division and Ton Tons have to seek other ways of trying to get to the top and for us (Nexus), to emulate the top American teams was the only way to go.
Aggression pays dividends, huge dividends if you got the balls to go for it but aggression is only a working principle and you have to have the technical expertise to sustain it, after all, what’s the point in getting to your opponent's 40 only to get yer arse blown apart because you ain't got the gun skills to stay alive when you get there.

For the Euros, we all look up to the American teams in admiration and respect; for the top American teams, they will look up to the Russkies.
This sport of ours has all the elements of all the great sports in this world, and at the moment, the philosophy clash between the Russians and the Americans has all the resonance and relevance that will one day have people sitting in their front rooms with their Budweisers watching it on TV.
If and when it does, I just hope Nexus are a part of it.

Ex All American, Ex Aftershock and now...... a successful hasbeen :)

Been there, Seen it, Done it, Won it...now it's time to kick back and chill a bit...

Last edited by Robbo : 04-29-2005 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:11 AM #5
VladKingOfNYC
You Favorite Russian

VladKingOfNYC is a Supporting Member
^ That response right there and others like it is why i spent my hard earned dollars, that could have gone on drugs and candy, on a Nexus jersey last night.

NIB Guns for sale:
Shockers, Nerves, Ions, Karnivors,
DMCs, DM6s, Proto 6s, Egos, Angels
Many others in most colors.
MY feedback
Old 04-29-2005, 05:28 AM #6
Nicky T
Eclipse Customer Service

Annual Supporting Member
Nicky T works for a Paintball manufacturer
Nicky T owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Nicky T plays in the APPA D5 division
Nicky T has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Vlad i don't think you'll find many people who understand the game we all enjoy to a better degree than Pete.

If you have an Iphone, Ipad or Itouch then you need to treat yourself to an awesome app called Field Designer. You can purchase it directly through the iTunes App Store by following this link: Buy Field Designer NOW! or on the Android store HERE!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NickyTruter
Old 04-29-2005, 06:14 AM #7
VladKingOfNYC
You Favorite Russian

VladKingOfNYC is a Supporting Member
Thats why i respect Nexus and Robbo. You know i love the The Legion, but they got all that loot, you guys are just running on sheer determination and on a super scientific and analytical program. You guys seem to be the bridge between the Russians and the Americans. Using analytical skill like the russians and the freestyling of the americans. Only way but up for you guys. If only we can bring this same approach to shaping up the NXL our sport would be light years ahead of where it is now.

NIB Guns for sale:
Shockers, Nerves, Ions, Karnivors,
DMCs, DM6s, Proto 6s, Egos, Angels
Many others in most colors.
MY feedback
Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 PM #8
izrn
Throwin bows

izrn has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Robbo: Thank you for your indept answer to my question. To the rest of the people who put in their opinions, thank you too. Its always nice to hear another adults opinion on a certain question. Good luck in Tampa team Nexus

izzy
**RETIRED**
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 AM #9
gacoastie61

Greetings from across the pond Mr. Robinson,
After reading thread after thread in PBN, it is definitely a pleasure to read someone well versed in thought and sentence structure. By the way what is your favorite beverage of choice, yes I mean beer? Mine is SKOL lager. I spent 2 years in England with the USAF, and I married a beautiful Welsh lady, so I feel a sort of kinship with all you blokes. Live long and prosper my friend.

Gacoastie
Old 04-30-2005, 02:43 AM #10
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Iz , no probs m8.

Gacoastie61- Vodka and lemonade (Sprite or 7 Up as you call it) is my posion

Thanks also for the comments - mucho apreció

Been there, Seen it, Done it, Won it...now it's time to kick back and chill a bit...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:23 AM #11
noyava

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Iz , no probs m8.

Gacoastie61- Vodka and lemonade (Sprite or 7 Up as you call it) is my posion

Thanks also for the comments - mucho apreció
Sprite and 7Up are not lemonade... Those "drinks" have more lime flavoring then lemon and they are carbonated, which is icky. Lemonade is lemon juice, water and maybe some sugar. Also an so called lemonada you can get in a can is trash. It must be freshly made or not made at all.

BTW, Good luck Nexus in all your endeavors and I have for several years now loved reading Robbo's insightful articles on the art of paintball. They are the only article on paintball I read that don't make me weep tears of sadness for the dearth of intellectual life in the sport... (*cough*APG*cough*)
Old 04-30-2005, 11:31 AM #12
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by noyava

BTW, Good luck Nexus in all your endeavors and I have for several years now loved reading Robbo's insightful articles on the art of paintball. They are the only article on paintball I read that don't make me weep tears of sadness for the dearth of intellectual life in the sport... (*cough*APG*cough*)
I'm afraid the terms 'intellectual' and 'APG' are mutually exclusive and will be for the foreseeable fututre

BTW, Lemonade over here in England is fizzy and we would most certainly describe 7UP and Sprite as Lemonade 'type' drinks but hey, I don't care as long as it tastes ok

Last edited by Robbo : 04-30-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:44 AM #13
noyava

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
I'm afraid the terms 'intellectual' and 'APG' are mutually exclusive and will be for the foreseeable fututre

BTW, Lemonade over here in England is fizzy and we would most certainly describe 7UP and Sprite as Lemonade 'type' drinks but hey, I don't care as long as it tastes ok

Fizzy lemonade? Well, yeah we call that Sprite... but we don't call it lemonade Vodka does get put in Sprite/7up... lemonade usually gets the wiskey treatment. (aka Hard-Lemonade).

It's truely bizzare that US and UK both speak 'English' and yet have so many like words with contradictory definitions. Biscuit and cookie come to mind...
Old 04-30-2005, 12:16 PM #14
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Quote:
Fizzy lemonade? Well, yeah we call that Sprite... but we don't call it lemonade Vodka does get put in Sprite/7up... lemonade usually gets the wiskey treatment. (aka Hard-Lemonade).

It's truely bizzare that US and UK both speak 'English' and yet have so many like words with contradictory definitions. Biscuit and cookie come to mind...
We had it (English) first......

Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 PM #15
noyava

We made it popular
Old 04-30-2005, 12:31 PM #16
Glorykid
the one and only

Glorykid is a Supporting Member
u added DUDE!!!!

thats just not cricket
Old 04-30-2005, 12:46 PM #17
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is BST Legit
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
We made it popular
Actuallly the Brits made it popular with the colonies and whatnot, but we made it cool.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
Old 04-30-2005, 01:01 PM #18
noyava

psh... the world speaks English to talk to American's not Brits No offense to the Brits or Anglophiles
Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM #19
Robbo
I've won the lot!

I love that word, when all the guys from Nexus started going Stateside, we ended up calling each other dude for a laugh and when we used to get back from the US, we used to carry on, not because we were being pretentious or trying to emulate the Yanks but because we knew it pisssed off some of the other Brits....the ironic thing is, we ended up using the word seriously as part of our 'Nexus-speak' and now lots of the English paintballers use it.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:07 PM #20
Glorykid
the one and only

Glorykid is a Supporting Member
Talking

lol please tell me u dont use FAR OUT and RADICAL as well?

pete i reckon u and the guys just watched too much teenage mutant ninja turtles

Last edited by Glorykid : 04-30-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:24 PM #21
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorykid
lol please tell me u dont use FAR OUT and RADICAL as well?

pete i reckon u and the guys just watched too much teenage mutant ninja turtles

No way cowabunga !