PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-27-2005, 04:13 PM #43
Huntero
East Coast=Beast Coast

has been a member for 10 years
I've heard it over and over again, Nexus put RL in their place because they didnt want to jeopardize their spot.

that isnt justification its an excuse, every other team that was gonna cut it close played their hearts out and earned the spot. Nexus just decided to let a better team play in their place..and theirs no arguing that Russian Legion isn't a better team.

It's funny how the NPPL has since modified the rules to keep this from happening again.
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2005, 04:33 PM #44
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Robbo is a Supporting Member
Robbo supports Bob Gurnsey
If you read what I wrote (but if you don't understand it, I will draw pictures for you) then the justification is in the fact that there was an artificially high number of teams who had no intention or chance of qualifying thus minimising the opportunities for loyal teams to assume their rightful / relative position.
If you are gonna come back to me, at least pay me the respect me of trying to actually read what i write and hopefully next time you might even understand it.
Now run along.........
Oh by the way, Hunter, there is no need on PbNation to suffix your name with your IQ

Ex All American, Ex Aftershock and now...... a successful hasbeen :)

Been there, Seen it, Done it, Won it...now it's time to kick back and chill a bit...
Old 04-27-2005, 04:53 PM #45
notunknownguy
Moose Krew

notunknownguy is a Supporting Member
notunknownguy plays in the APPA beginner division
notunknownguy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
notunknownguy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
If you read what I wrote (but if you don't understand it, I will draw pictures for you) then the justification is in the fact that there was an artificially high number of teams who had no intention or chance of qualifying thus minimising the opportunities for loyal teams to assume their rightful / relative position.
If you are gonna come back to me, at least pay me the respect me of trying to actually read what i write and hopefully next time you might even understand it.
Now run along.........
Oh by the way, Hunter, there is no need on PbNation to suffix your name with your IQ
Robbowned!!

Feedback (25 Positives, 0 Negatives)
Old 04-27-2005, 05:02 PM #46
Huntero
East Coast=Beast Coast

I read what you wrote, it just sounds like excuses.

I know about the huge number of teams that werent pros, like Godspeed and several others. All I'm saying is that the rest of the top 18 teams beat them. Why couldn't Russian Legion..oh wait, Russian Legion did beat them, Nexus didn't.

Oh by the way, Robbo, It's an o not a zero.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:32 PM #47
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 is a Supporting Member
ThatGuy86 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy86 supports our troops
ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
How about we just drop the whole thing now? It happened, get over it.

Huntero, you and a select few don't think that Nexus rightfully earned their spot in the top 18, and apparently nothing is going to change your minds.

Most everyone else disagrees with you, sees Robbo's explanation, and nothing is going to change our minds.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-27-2005, 05:41 PM #48
NSPBSballer (Banned)
dipset?

Huntero fails to mention that it wasn't the entire RL squad playing for Nexus. As I recall, it was only Fedorov and 2 or 3 of his RL cohorts.

If you go to a local novice 3-man tourney and have an Amateur on your squad, is that cheating? No, it's just doing what everyone else could've done all along and enjoy the benefits.

Same deal here.

Nexus is a great team who I feel will play some very good 'ball in the 05 NPPL season.

And hey, if you ever need a player :-)
Old 04-27-2005, 07:38 PM #49
RunThru

RunThru is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by hornonthecobb8

and RUNTHRU - what in the hell are you talking about, entourage played as a 2nd team to dynasty bc they had a lot of players that couldnt play the nppl bc they were jsut on the xball squad, dynastys entourage is compirsed of dynasty players. if you knew anything at all you would realize that Nexus used RL players to play for them, it wasnt at all their sister team. but enough of this ****, nexus is a good team, thats for damn sure but i believe alot of the semi pros could take it to them as well as some of the division 1s. out
And if you knew anything you wouldn't have posted ...

Dynasty's main roster played as Entourage for a millenium event, Malaga I believe, to try to lock up their spot in the pro division. Get it?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:46 PM #50
Grand Hustla(sp)
•••Fistful of Steel•••

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
oh your cool now

Silver & Gold Ego F/S Only
Black Empire B F/S Only
"Only when we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything."
Old 04-27-2005, 08:46 PM #51
ThatGuy86

It was a joke.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 PM #52
yodaismyhomeboy
EightStarBalla

i read the facefull on malaga a few times, heard no mention of the starting crew of dynasty playing...talked about it being a sister team....whatev, time to take a deuce and re-read
Elin Grindemyr Fanclub Member #43
Old 04-27-2005, 09:54 PM #53
Takedown

Takedown is a Supporting Member
Takedown is a Professional paintball player
Takedown is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally posted by Huntero

I know about the huge number of teams that werent pros, like Godspeed and several others. All I'm saying is that the rest of the top 18 teams beat them. Why couldn't Russian Legion..oh wait, Russian Legion did beat them, Nexus didn't.
To all the haters (Huntero, Rush96, etc)

Those are not the teams Robbo was worried about, it's the teams like:

Platinum (Legacy players)
Naughty x nature (Legacy and Ironmen)
Bob Long's Ironmen (2nd team for bob)
Famous (Infamous's second team)
The Men (Ironmen/Aftershock/NYX)
Ice Men (Legacy and Ironmen)

These were 6 teams, filled with talented players, that had no chance of making the top 18, that showed up just to play because they could. Any one of those teams could have bumped Nexus down a spot or two, keeping them out of the top 18. Some teams that had played the NPPL all season were knocked out of the top 18 because these new teams showed up, damn it sucks to be them, I bet they wish they had the brains or connections to do what Nexus did, but now they either do not exist as a team or they are forced to play the Semi pro division with out much hope of ever making it back into the pros. You know what would have really been tough, is if the Russians entered a team at S.D. just to play, then the teams fighting for a top 18 spot would have had to deal with both Nexus and the Russians, fact is by the Russians playing as Nexus that was one less team to deal with

It's the PRO division, meaning anyone can play, there is no sandbagging or stacking rosters, the only people complaining are people that will never play in the pros, or did not think to do it first and were kicked out of the pro division as a result. In fact what Nexus did still isn't illegal, they could field Russians at the remaining events this year and it wouldn't be a problem. The rosters are locked after Denver, so what's to stop any team from putting star/guest players on the field for Tampa or Denver?

You can bet your dollar that there are pro teams in the top 18 that are currently juggling players between their Pro and Semi pro teams or using players from NXL teams, trying to find the best players to put on each squad. The reason for this you ask? To earn another Top 18 spot or to keep an existing spot, nothing different then what Nexus did.

Other teams have done this very thing and this big of an issue was not made. Dynasty put in most of their 1st string to play as Entourage. Icemen didn't play well at the first couple events, then hired Legacy and Ironmen players to play Las Vegas, they would have placed in the top 4 if they were not dq'ed for an illegal gun. Again nobody made a big stink then.

Robbo did what any *smart* pro captain in his position would do, make sure that some circumstance would not remove them from the Top 18. The team and their sponsors spent hundreds of thousands of dollars playing the NPPL for two seasons and were not going to allow some fluke to knock them out.

What they did was not against the rules, many other teams had guest players, some teams were filled with them to make a throw together team.

Whether Nexus made the cut because of RL or because of their placings in Euro events or because of some other factors, it doesn't matter, the fact is they made the Top 18 cut within the rules. They obviously placed high enough at the rest of the events to make the cut. Nobody can even say whether they wouldn't have made the cut without the Russian's. A 7th place at S.D. would have put them through. Robbo's guys would have been more upset if they didn't make the top 18 and lost sponsorship or found themselves unable to come to the US. I'm sure it sucked to sit out San Diego, it was a sweet event, but because they sat out S.D. they now get to play all the events this year including S.D.

I'm confident that Nexus will make the cut for next season as well. There are plenty of teams in the Top 18 that are worse off and if Nexus keeps up the way they are playing they will make the cut for next season when 3 of the Semi pro teams come up and the bottom 3 pro teams get dropped.

Nexus placed 7th in HB with their own roster, that looks like top 18 material to me. I watched many of their games while waiting to play, they were playing pro paintball. They placed 2nd in Germany, beating out Arsenal, top 18 again. Some of their players are now playing xball with the Russians, seems like the RL think there is top talent there. Perhaps by some off chance Nexus won't make the cut this year, then you all can come back and rub it in our faces, but I don't see it happening, they've started out strong already. They may not make top 4, that's a tough nut to crack, but those that don't play pro will never know how tough is to make the top 8 let alone the top 4. There are a lot of teams that won't make the top 4 this year, does that mean they don't belong in the top 18? Hell no, we wouldn't have a pro division if that were the case.

To Nexus, good job on constantly improving, you guys have done what so many other Euro and American teams have tried to do. Building and keeping a pro team alive, it's not easy! You guys have come a long way since I played against you at the beach and Portugal in 03, and an even longer way from when your guys were playing novice in Europe. Keep doing what you are doing!!!

Last edited by Takedown : 04-27-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:58 PM #54
ThatGuy86

Good post.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-27-2005, 10:06 PM #55
Takedown

Takedown is a Supporting Member
Takedown is a Professional paintball player
Takedown is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally posted by Rush96
i suppose there is nothing wrong with another team immitating you bc your team is uncapable to secure a spot. thats what truthfully happened. i suppose they got the job done to a certain extant but how long do you think guys like robbo will still be playing pro. hes a bob long that wont admit hes to old for the game. nexus will do ok in the nppl, but i would not be surprised at all if they are the team that gets the boot at the end of the year, and will make its way to the ranks of semi pro in 06.
Wow you really don't know what's going on. Robbo doesn't play on Nexus, in fact he wasn't even at H.B. I'd put money on Robbo still doing well on the field, even though he hasn't played at the pro level in years. However he still knows a lot about the game, and was able to take a bunch of novice players, and train them into pro quality players that can compete in the US and in Europe.

As for Bob Long that guy has more heart and passion for the game then you will ever realize. He still can play and is effective on the field. While all these young kids are coming up learning to shoot machine guns, he still has the field knowledge that so many pro players lack these days. By you trashing 1 of the best players/captains still in the game today it shows exactly the amount of brain matter you are working with. It's easy for you to post these words on the internet.

So put your money where your mouth is, what great team do you play for? What tournaments have you won? What division do you play?

The fact is you don't understand professional paintball, and by what you have posted here I don't think you will ever get it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:08 PM #56
pfactorytroutman

ok yeah i agree whit whatever that guys said about them being a pro team and going farther than any 14 year old new will ever go, but i think you ppl are making way to big a deal over this , they did what the did how gives a poop,
i have one question for robbo, though, do you actually play or do you just coach?
Old 04-28-2005, 01:26 AM #57
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Takedown - I'm impressed, I couldn't have put it better
Cheers Bud, and for 'ThatGuy86' too, and for everybody else trying to rid this thread of BS, jealousy and ignorance.

pfactorytroutman, I don't play any more mate, I retired from top pro paintball after I won my second world cup meadal with Aftershock believing it couldn't get no better so I jumped ship at the top.
I miss playing a lot but as I have told my players on many occasions, if you compare me when I was playing at my best for Aftershock to any of the players I have on my team Nexus now, I don't come anywhere near close to their abilities, they are light years in front of me when I was at my best.

It's a humbling thought but one that spurs me on to try and make the best out of them as players, and I can do that job as coach.
In some areas of coaching I suck sooooo bad, but I know a good player when I see one (or rather their potential) and I can train them up to become great players.
So I have got a lot to learn just like they have which when I come to tihnk of it, ain't such a bad state of affairs.

Been there, Seen it, Done it, Won it...now it's time to kick back and chill a bit...
Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 AM #58
powell_n
Murderer

I played for Godspeed in HB '04, Nexus were a cool bunch of guys. They're straight up ballers and did nothing wrong. They deserved a spot in the top 18, and they secured it... AND they've stepped it up this year and have been playing great.

Keep up the good work guys.

My Feedback
Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 AM #59
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Huntero
Oh by the way, Robbo, It's an o not a zero.

Hunter - Really????
You coulda fooled me.........

Well, I tell ya what, you write a post that actually holds water and at least has some connection (however tenuous) to an 'honest' opinion and I might begin to change my opinion as to whether it's an 'o' or not, but until then I will default to my original conclusion that if you were to swap out the 'un' in your name with an 'a', it gets us all closer to the truth.

Have a nice day

Old 04-29-2005, 12:07 AM #60
Baboon
Photomob

Baboon is a Supporting Member
Baboon is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
almost all pro teams that could compete on american soil and do decent played Orlando
that made me laugh. have you even seen the pro team lists for the 2 events?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:15 AM #61
TruePaintballer2
The Josh

it was shady, but not against the rules...if the NPPL dont like it change the rules
Old 05-03-2005, 12:52 AM #62
gyroscope

gyroscope is a Supporting Member
gyroscope supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
and 2nd place at max....WHO CARES. that tournament equals nothing, what good teams were their.....
Arsenal
Tigers
Bushwacker
XSV

It was thin in the pros, but pulling out a 2 on 5 against Arsenal means that you are no joke in my book.

How many of those other teams that "earned" it went all year without breaking a rule? Nexus didn't even break a rule. They did something that must have stung their pride in order to secure the future of their team after having a shaky year. They announced it well ahead of the tournament. Their friends helped them... probably easier to identify with if one actually has friends.

I think the only thing they did wrong last year was listening to conventional wisdom about how to train instead of following their own system. Seems like they have returned to form and learned to value their own philosophy of play and practice, fortunately without having to lose everything.

It is always easy to sit in judgement when you have never been tested- that's why everyone asks "who are you to question?" when some punk comes along and challenges someone who makes tough decisions when they are in trouble. If it were Ron Kilborne raising this issue, I would treat his criticism with a lot more respect. Then again, Ron has been there, so he wouldn't ever raise this issue. Only some child who hasn't ever really had anything at stake would moan about this non-issue.

Dirt Products Anodizing
Old 05-04-2005, 03:11 AM #63
f1erce
PIMPIN New Zealand PB

Wtf are u arguing with rob for, he's the UK's bob long, a legend and a man who knows paintball and winning like the back of his hand and writes the best articles I have ever read, mad props to rob and the nexus team.

Train hard, play easy.
LONDON NEXUS fan club member #110
INFAMOUS fan club member
NPS4LIFE
HostileKidzArmy Support