Big Air Paintball

has been a member for 10 years
and denver
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2005, 09:37 PM #23
Grand Hustla(sp)
•••Fistful of Steel•••

yea and they beat xsv and dynasty, who the hell are they??

Silver & Gold Ego F/S Only
Black Empire B F/S Only
"Only when we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything."
Old 04-26-2005, 10:41 PM #24
ThatGuy86

ThatGuy86 is a Supporting Member
ThatGuy86 plays in the PSP
ThatGuy86 supports our troops
ThatGuy86 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally posted by Rush96
i agree completely that the true nexus roster cant justify their spot in the nppl.
So all the tournaments they played before mean nothing? Just because the Legion played for them in one tournament didn't get them all the qualifying points to make it into the top 18. They needed points before that, and the Nexus squad got those.

Nexus worked for their spot, and rather than jeopardize that work, they decided on the safer route in their minds. I see nothing wrong with that.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 PM #25
Rush96 (Banned)
Big Air Paintball

i suppose there is nothing wrong with another team immitating you bc your team is uncapable to secure a spot. thats what truthfully happened. i suppose they got the job done to a certain extant but how long do you think guys like robbo will still be playing pro. hes a bob long that wont admit hes to old for the game. nexus will do ok in the nppl, but i would not be surprised at all if they are the team that gets the boot at the end of the year, and will make its way to the ranks of semi pro in 06.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:36 PM #26
VladKingOfNYC
You Favorite Russian

VladKingOfNYC is a Supporting Member
Quote:
a 7th place meens jack ****. they wont make the finals this year, you can argue with me all you want. london wont do it. your the only team having to PAY out of your pockets to play a tournament. and 2nd place at max....WHO CARES. that tournament equals nothing, what good teams were their.....almost all pro teams that could compete on american soil and do decent played Orlando. and for you bashing infamous bc they didnt make the semis you need to shut the hell up. they came out of xball with out having played 7man in over a year and took the first 2 tournaments they entered. Infamous is a better team than nexus(not starting things, just look at the tournaments they play and how they finish). it should hurt the pride of the team to have to use a damn good team to play for them at all of these tournaments, but hey i suppose who cares as long as you do good??? who cares about the real nexus players that dont play bc the leaders of the organization want to win by using russians, who cares what they think they are just so so players that no1 will play.

i agree completely that the true nexus roster cant justify their spot in the nppl. on the other hand the russians sure as hell can, they are one of the best teams in the world and they played under the nexus name at the 04 commanders cup for an undisclosed amount of $$$. that tournament was all politics i suppose, the whole thing that Robbo himself goes against in his section of PGI. But everyone should look at the facts, the only reason you guys are in the nppl pro right now is simply bc you played the nppl sanctioned events in europe, just look at the finish you had in america. 21st at the nppl las vegas... now there are no more... where are your points going to come from???
7th in pro division means jack ****? Who the **** do you play for again? Wtf are you talking about? There were 5 pro teams playing in orlando this year as opposed to 22 at max masters this year. What does 7th in HB mean? It means they did better then 11 other teams in the pro division. Those pro teams being Infamous, Oakland Empire, New England Hurricanes, Toulouse Tontons, Manchester Shockwave, Miami Rage,London Tigers, HB Redz Sedition, Chicago Evil, Pittsburgh Smoke, OC Bushwackers. As for what "good teams" were at Max Masters besides nexus? Let's See XSV, Arsenal, Bushwackers, Joy Divison, Ton Tons, Shockwave UK, London Tigers. All teams that made the 18 cut in the nppl. Nexus beat everyone soundly except XSV and that includes beating Arsenal in the semis 2 games to none. How can you say that the True nexus roster couldn't have secured the spot when they were already ranked 17 before they even used the russians. It's not liek they were out of contention and then used the "unstopable russians" to get back in. You act as if the russians are some sort of cheat code to get into the paintball shangrila. Robbo just wanted to put the nail in the coffin and make sure that some fluke didn't take the hard work they put in all year. No one paid any one any thing, Nexus and The Legion use each other's players nad Robbo and Sergei are friends. Yeah nexus didn't do so good in Las Vegas but this year nexus and last years nexus aren't the same thing. Incase you can't tell they have trained very hard and have learned alot from the russians. A year makes a big difference, jsut look at the russians and how they changed from 2003 to 2004. As for where the rest of Nexus' points will come from, seeing how they have more points then more then half of the pro teams in the nppl this season, id say from kicking ***?

Later Chump

NIB Guns for sale:
Shockers, Nerves, Ions, Karnivors,
DMCs, DM6s, Proto 6s, Egos, Angels
Many others in most colors.
MY feedback
Old 04-27-2005, 12:52 AM #27
Robbo
I've won the lot!

Robbo is a Supporting Member
Robbo supports Bob Gurnsey
Vlad and the rest of the guys in support of the Nexus cause, a sincere thanks, but to the unbelievers, here is a copy of the article I wrote for Paintballl2Xtremes where I addressed the question of using RL players for San Diego, I hope this explains the reasons and rationale as to why I used some of the RL players :-

I have heard so many rumors concerning Nexus and the deal done with the Russian Legion playing for us in San Diego ranging from mafia deals, huge payoffs and God knows what else…just to put the record straight, here’s the real deal.

It was vital that any self respecting teams tried at all costs to get into that final 18 pro qualification bracket for this year.

That said, Nexus were lying in the 17th spot and if we at least held that relative position in the final round in San Diego, we would be fine.

Problem was, the final round in San Diego had soo many damned teams in it and some of those pro teams entered had no chance or any intention of trying for the final spots (since the NXL lifted its sanctions) it made it a knife edge proposition for teams like us to try and qualify for the Sunday club which is what we would have needed to ensure our pro spot for this year.
Basically, there were so many pro teams in SD that had no intention (or chance) of qualifying for that top 18 (they were playing SD just for the hell of it) that if just one of these said teams made it into the Sunday club it could potentially knock us out.
I would have been mad to risk Nexus's position to that type of artificial competition.
I mean, most people know that apart from teams like Dynasty etc, if just one thing goes wrong, you can end up the wrong side of qualification, one bad judge call, one bit of cheating from the other side, one marker go tits up and so many more things can happen that can undo months of training in one fell swoop.

I wasn’t going to risk Nexus’s position in 2005 and leave it hostage to bad fortune, no frikkin way Jose.

If the pro teams who had supported the NPPL throughout the year and contested those 18 spots all year had been the only pro teams entered into San Diego then I would in no way have gone to Sergey and asked to borrow some of his players, no way.

We finished 7th ranked overal in 2003 and going into San Diego were positioned to qualify for 2004, I knew we deserved a spot but I simply wasn’t going to risk our spot to Johnny come lately teams and frikkin' it all up for us.

I called Sergey (owner of Russian Legion) and he kindly allowed me to use some of his players, I sent two of my players, Jamie Abbott and Tommy Pemberton to play alongside them and the deal was done between friends.

The only money handed over to them was to pay two thirds of their travel and hotel costs; basically, it was the same for us (expense wise) as just sending our players over.

We have supported the NPPL since day one, ploughing tens of thousands of dollars into coming over to what I believe to be the best tourney circuit in the world playing alongside some of the best opponents in the world, all I did was ask a few friends to guest for me, hang me if you wanna but I have seen a lot worse things done to secure a position, from designer gun cheating across entire teams, throwing games, wholesale cheating philosophies and much more.

My team does none of them, not one.

What I did was maybe not particularly palatable for me as coach and owner of Nexus but was in no way against the rules and every single one of my players was in agreement.

I wasn’t being shallow at all as one jerk has remarked, I was merely attempting to secure my team’s position in the best way I knew how in the time I had left.

Nothing sinister, nothing underhand, nothing illegal, merely pragmatic.

Peace out !

Ex All American, Ex Aftershock and now...... a successful hasbeen :)

Been there, Seen it, Done it, Won it...now it's time to kick back and chill a bit...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:49 AM #28
RunThru

RunThru is a Supporting Member
Quote:
a 7th place meens jack ****. they wont make the finals this year, you can argue with me all you want. london wont do it. your the only team having to PAY out of your pockets to play a tournament. and 2nd place at max....WHO CARES. that tournament equals nothing, what good teams were their.....almost all pro teams that could compete on american soil and do decent played Orlando. and for you bashing infamous bc they didnt make the semis you need to shut the hell up. they came out of xball with out having played 7man in over a year and took the first 2 tournaments they entered. Infamous is a better team than nexus(not starting things, just look at the tournaments they play and how they finish). it should hurt the pride of the team to have to use a damn good team to play for them at all of these tournaments, but hey i suppose who cares as long as you do good??? who cares about the real nexus players that dont play bc the leaders of the organization want to win by using russians, who cares what they think they are just so so players that no1 will play.

i agree completely that the true nexus roster cant justify their spot in the nppl. on the other hand the russians sure as hell can, they are one of the best teams in the world and they played under the nexus name at the 04 commanders cup for an undisclosed amount of $$$. that tournament was all politics i suppose, the whole thing that Robbo himself goes against in his section of PGI. But everyone should look at the facts, the only reason you guys are in the nppl pro right now is simply bc you played the nppl sanctioned events in europe, just look at the finish you had in america. 21st at the nppl las vegas... now there are no more... where are your points going to come from???
I can't believe the balls that noobs have on PBN these days. You are knocking a professional team that, regardless of how they place, is doing more than you ever will. They are playing at the highest level, what are you doing this season?

Nobody gave Dynasty a hard time for playing as Entourage to try to lock up their second spot because they are Dynasty. Nexus made a smart decision to ensure that they would have a spot this season and it payed off. They proved they belong in the pro division with two great showings in their first two events- Who are you to say that they don't deserve it?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:25 AM #29
ThatGuy86

Quote:
Originally posted by RunThru
Who are you to say that they don't deserve it?

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM #30
Hex
HeXSV

Just keep mowing and showing, leave these kids to scurrying around begging to touch pro teams pods and spending more time online than on the field.
They are not worth the attention.
Paintball is a sport and it is also a business.
You do what is best for the team, period.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish.

__
Hexed '06 Ego Green w. Black parts.
__
Old 04-27-2005, 12:42 PM #31
JoeyDG
cat got your tongue?

Quote:
Originally posted by Huntero

Tons of smaller underfunded teams like Tigers earned their way into the pro bracket
I think you will find that Tigers fielded guest players too at the last NPPL event. Xiao (from RL) even had his photo in PGI in a Tiger's jersey.

NeXus is a team who look past the here and now and look towards the future - they did what they needed to do to unsure the future of the club. End of.

Huntero, what pro team are you on?

Last edited by JoeyDG : 04-27-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM #32
hornonthecobb8

what difference does it make at all what pro team does he play for. hes stating the facts that alot of the nexus players got jewed.

and RUNTHRU - what in the hell are you talking about, entourage played as a 2nd team to dynasty bc they had a lot of players that couldnt play the nppl bc they were jsut on the xball squad, dynastys entourage is compirsed of dynasty players. if you knew anything at all you would realize that Nexus used RL players to play for them, it wasnt at all their sister team. but enough of this ****, nexus is a good team, thats for damn sure but i believe alot of the semi pros could take it to them as well as some of the division 1s. out

Freestyle For Sale-http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1007483

My Feedback-http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=14150445#post14150445post 14150445
Old 04-27-2005, 01:45 PM #33
JoeyDG
cat got your tongue?

Quote:
Originally posted by hornonthecobb8
what difference does it make at all what pro team does he play for. hes stating the facts that alot of the nexus players got jewed.
I think if he played for a pro team - he might understand what its like to walk in their moccassins. . . .and maybe have a different insight to why they did what they did.

Do you think the decision to field RL players was taken lightly by Robbo or the team members of NeXus??

Chris Summers already said that the decision was about making the cut at any cost. . . he and they rest of the guys would have prefered to play, but understood it was about the future. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by hornonthecobb8

what in the hell are you talking about, entourage played as a 2nd team to dynasty
I was in Malaga - Entourage was made up of all Dynasty "1st team" players, like BC, Alex, Yosh, Angel and Olly. . . .they were doing the same thing as NeXus and RL. . . .trying to ensure the team got into the pro league. . .

Robbo has already said in this thread and in many others. . . .NeXus and Russian Legion have a productive, mutually benifical relationship. Just because the teams aren't called NeXus 1 and NeXus 2 or Russian Legion 1 and Russian Legion 2 doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't take advantage of being each other's 'sister team'. . .
Old 04-27-2005, 02:01 PM #34
EastAl
[]D [] []V[] []D [] []\[]

EastAl is a Supporting Member
GRRRR, I had a response typed up, and I hit Refresh on accident and wiped it!

Anyways, Entourage would have been in The 18 had they not been DQ'd at Commanders Cup. Now I ask, what is the point of Dynasty having two teams in the Pro Division? Now before anyone spouts off about "it's for the sponsors" that's crap! Entourage will always live in Dynasty's shadow, they will never be the marketing tool that Dynasty has become, so there is really no reason for them to be in "direct competition" with the exception of Dynasty now has one less team in The 18 that they need to worry about(Does anyone honestly beleive they will ever see Entourage ranked above Dynasty at a national event?).
Nexus has been a steady team in the NPPL for years. They have been there to supprot the NPPL's Pro Division when other teams have jumped ship to play other leagues. They may not be "The World's Greatest Team", but they deserve a spot in The 18.
As for Nexus players feeling cheated for having RL players guest on Nexus at Commanders Cup? I honestly can't say for sure, as I don't personally know any Nexus players. But, I can promise you there would have been some Nexus players that would have felt cheated if they had been bumped out of the NPPL Pro Division by a team that decided half way through '05 that they wanted to be Pro too.

Al

Originally posted by Huntero:
This thread is like taking a ride on the roflcopter..

No regret, no remorse, no reason... only madness.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 PM #35
EVILpaintball69
Scotty Pippin

EVILpaintball69 supports Cereal Killerz 2
EVILpaintball69 donated to help Peyton Trent
god y do people bother making these post against pro teams...its simple math

pro team+your team=your dead

all you ever get is flaming guys plz there pro...ur not...as soon as you are then come talk otherwise...ull prolly get banned or flammed tremendously...

p.s.- i dont think i would want to get on robo's bad side... he could snap ur neck like a glow stick
Old 04-27-2005, 03:21 PM #36
ThatGuy86

Quote:
Originally posted by EastAl
Anyways, Entourage would have been in The 18 had they not been DQ'd at Commanders Cup. Now I ask, what is the point of Dynasty having two teams in the Pro Division?...

Nexus has been a steady team in the NPPL for years. They have been there to supprot the NPPL's Pro Division when other teams have jumped ship to play other leagues. They may not be "The World's Greatest Team", but they deserve a spot in The 18...

But, I can promise you there would have been some Nexus players that would have felt cheated if they had been bumped out of the NPPL Pro Division by a team that decided half way through '05 that they wanted to be Pro too.
You raise 3 very good points.

1. I think if Entourage had finished, Dynasty might've tried to sell that spot. I heard the spots in the top 18 were valued at something around $200,000. If you ask me, Dynasty would much rather have Dynasty win a tournament than Entourage, because Dynasty is a brand name. And who couldn't use another $200,000? (Thought I wouldn't be surprised if Smart Parts paid that to get another team in the top 18).

2. I agree fully with the second point you raise. Nexus worked hard in the past to get where they are, and they deserve their spot in the top 18 no questions asked.

3. I also agree with the last point, about the Nexus guys feeling cheated. I'm sure many of the guys on the roster were unhappy about having the RL play for them. Everyone knows you value something much more when you worked for it than when it was given to you. But with the sudden surge of teams in SD, all of Nexus' past work was potentially compromised.

Paintball has too many variables to just assume that you're going to place in the top 18. What happens if you're having a bad day, you're relying on that last game to secure your spot, and the ref makes a bad call/misses an important call? Then you're screwed, simply put.

I can understand where people are coming from, claiming Nexus "cheated" their way into the top 18. I just don't agree with it. Nexus did what they felt that had to, and it happened. There's no point in arguing about it now.

Besides, I'm sure if you were in the same position, many of you would have done the same thing. As Robbo said, Nexus has committed tens of thousands of dollars to playing as one of the top teams in the NPPL over the past few years. Why should they jeopardize that because the NXL relaxed their rules, and a bunch of new teams with no chance of qualifying decided to play SD? I highly doubt anyone on these boards would just be willing to risk throwing away $20k+.

It happens all the time. Doc's Raiders just had Xalo playing for them. Arsenal had a couple guys from 'Lanche guest. RL has Maximus guest all the time. It's not illegal, and teams take advantage of it. Robbo is friends with the RL, so it's not like the Legion is a group of mercenaries, playing for teams for money. It was a friendly favor. Nexus just had more players guest for them than average, big deal.

RIP DAN DONLON

Last edited by ThatGuy86 : 04-27-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:23 PM #37
Grand Hustla(sp)
•••Fistful of Steel•••

dynasty didnt make entourage just so they could lock up the second spot and get more $$$, they did it cause alot of players on dynasty weren't gettin alot of playing time

Black Empire B F/S Only
Old 04-27-2005, 03:28 PM #38
ThatGuy86

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand Hustla(sp)
dynasty didnt make entourage just so they could lock up the second spot and get more $$$, they did it cause alot of players on dynasty weren't gettin alot of playing time
I think I presented my argument wrong.

What I meant was, originally Entourage began playing so that all the guys could get playing time. But when the NPPL decided to switch over to the top 18 format, I think Dynasty saw it as a money-making opportunity.

Dynasty's roster is stacked with the best of the best, while Entourage normally gets the second string players (I'm not suggesting Entourage sucks, or that any of the players do, but I think the best of Dynasty plan under the Dynasty banner). Therefore, you'd expect the team called Dynasty to win more than the team called Entourage. I highly doubt Dynasty would want Entourage to win more, because the name Dynasty is where they make all their money. I don't see Entourage Shockers for sale, I don't see Entourage on Leno, and I definately don't see Entourage as Smart Parts' flagship team. That's all Dynasty, and the Dynasty name is where the money comes from.

That being said, Dynasty realized something. If they get 2 teams into the top 18, they have an advantage over everyone else. They now have 2 chances at winning a tournament, whereas everyone else has 1. On the same note, how much do you get for winning a tournament? $20k, something like that? How many Super 7 events are there? Less than 10. If the spot in the top 18 was truly worth $200,000 (or they could convince someone to pay that) then they're making an enormous profit, much more than they ever would just winning a tournament.

As cool as it is to have 2 teams playing, and letting every guy on the roster play every tournament, I don't think Dynasty would mind benching a few guys to earn $200,000.

EDIT - Keep in mind, I keep reciting this $200,000 figure. I don't remember where I heard it, it might've been PGi. Just remember that this isn't a definite figure. It's speculation, and if I'm wrong then a number of my arguments are thrown out the window.

RIP DAN DONLON

Last edited by ThatGuy86 : 04-27-2005 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM #39
Grand Hustla(sp)
•••Fistful of Steel•••

i havent read your post yet, i wuz respondin to the guy up there

Black Empire B F/S Only
Old 04-27-2005, 03:32 PM #40
ThatGuy86

Oh well, I typed all that anyway. It's staying.

RIP DAN DONLON
Old 04-27-2005, 03:36 PM #41
Grand Hustla(sp)
•••Fistful of Steel•••

i agree with you on everything, but like you said some teams add a different pro to there roster, but they still have the same team...nexus had like 2 or 3 of the original players and the rest RL

Black Empire B F/S Only
Old 04-27-2005, 04:12 PM #42
ThatGuy86

The one thought that keeps running through my mind is "What if they weren't on the RL?"

What if the guys Robbo and Nexus picked up for that event were just some outstanding ballers, with no team affiliation? I highly doubt anyone would be criticizing them then.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the discussion, but it's a thought that popped into my head.

RIP DAN DONLON