Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-21-2002, 07:01 PM #1
little420devil
i see you

has been a member for 10 years
why are people trying to keep me from buying a matrix

every body around my way is afraid i guess of the matrix but really want one why would they make an attemp to stop me from buying this gun are any problems are they hard to maintain like a cocker ?????????? thanx
=chris

------------------------------------------------
2k1 black uncut lcd

visit www.captncarls.com today
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2002, 07:42 PM #2
MATRIX (Banned)

a cocker is not a high-maintenance gun. With proper care, the matrix is a fine piece of equipment. It you treat it right, it'll perform its greatest!!!
Old 05-21-2002, 08:31 PM #3
PBallCentral_Player
Far Too Trill

True Dat

Keep It Real

Rare "LB" Avalanche Jersey!

SICK Shocktech Gun Sale. Must see.
Old 05-21-2002, 09:14 PM #4
deathbyMatrix

Well, I would say some concerns are valid. Some of the early Matrices had quality problems, and I wouldn't rate the current QA as best in class. Many of the ones for sale on the used market are the original stock or LE models that are not, IMHO, in the best of shape. There are a bunch of o-rings that need some care, and the assy/disassy is not the most intuitive thing I have ever done.

That said, with a bolt kit and LPR, it is the sweetest, fastest, softest, and most accurate marker that I have ever shot. Absolutely, wonderful.

So, to start, the maintenance is not as painful as many would have you believe. With the instructions (FAQ, Support pages, etc.) from the Aardvarkdirect site, it all makes perfect sense. Plus, there are a lot of dedicated 'trix owners online to help in case of crisis. My suggestion is buy a new stock unit, get a bolt kit and LPR from Aardvark, and read the online documentation. Others may have different opinions about how to buy a gun, but check out your options. Watch the animated GIF of a working Matrix and understand what part of the bolt replaces a RAM, what the Top Hat does, how the air flows through the bolt without a dedicated hammer, etc. Watch it till you drop. Search through the older articles at PBnation and at Aardvarkdirect. Learn the gun. It isn't rocket science. Once you know the gun, working on it isn’t as daunting as it may seem now. Learn the gun…

As for why people steer you away... my thoughts are twofold. One, people don't understand how it works, hear a bunch of crap, and regurgitate that crap without conscious thought. “It is a gas pig… It breaks all the time… It has 40 o-rings that break every 5 minutes… You will be replacing o-rings 20 times a day… “ This from people who have never even seen one, much less shot one. They should know better. The second reason is tradition. Most stores carry and sell Tippmanns (sp?), Spyders, maybe Mags, probably Cockers, with an occasional Angel thrown in. The Matrix is new, doesn’t have the sales force of some lines, and most stores are brand loyal. So, the Matrix isn’t carried. And, if it isn’t carried, why is a store owner/salesdroid going to steer you to buy something somewhere else. Everyone knows that a Tippmann/Spyder/Cocker/Mag/<whatever sold here> is the best gun by far. "Why would you want that POC? It is a gas hog… It breaks all the time…" Catch the drift…

Also, I think some people fear the Matrix for several reasons, IMHO. It is new. Fast. Silent. Deadly accurate (with the right barrel). It is a disruption in their space/time continuum. They are about to have their perception of reality recalibrated. That Spyder TL Plus isn't just a generation behind, it is now a order of magnitude behind.

It is fundamentally a better design than any other gun on the market. So, the prized Works Cocker that someone just dropped $800 is now second best. Or, an Angel, or a Emag, or… People in every sport go through this, just look in golf (Callaway v. Titlest v. XYZ), SCUBA (DIR or PADI/NAUI), etc. No one wants to admit the POC they just purchased is second rate; “Hey, I bought it, so it must be the best”. Change is difficult, and the margin is sometimes very thin.

I love the looks mine gets. Half recoil in disgust/fear/loathing/uncertainty, etc. The other half want to ask to shoot it J

The flip side is that while I think the Matrix is the best option, at this 5 minutes in time (BTW, I voted with my checkbook, FWIW), there are some really good markers on the market that are close. The Timmy, eMags (one of which I am drooling after…), Impulse, Angels, etc. are really good. If you rebuild one (similar to rebuilding the Matrix with bolt kit, etc.), almost any gun can be quiet, accurate, fast, etc. It depends on the love and attention you pay.

I would also add that the Matrix we own and love is really a Version 1.0 product. Remember the original MS Windows? First rev of Oracle? The first model year of any newly designed car? They are learning to make it. Each year will bring enhancements; think that it is 2-4 years behind the Angels in QA, production, design execution. It should only get better... If not, the next generation Timmy or eMag will blow it out of the water, we will all be reading different forums, and the Matrix will be spoken of in the same hushed tones as the Lisa or the Amiga

deathbyMatrix
Old 05-22-2002, 01:31 PM #5
General Tips

Mad props to deathbymatrix for that post...errr article
We need more intelligent and thought out posts like that on forums instead of screw you my gun ownz yours.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:30 PM #6
deathbyMatrix

Thanks for the kind words, General. I probably should have kept it down to a modest expose, but it was late and the soapbox was just sitting there, so lonely
Old 05-22-2002, 09:00 PM #7
Paulo

Good post deathbyMatrix Keep this one up to shush the haters.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:29 PM #8
MULLETMANIA
Headbanger

Well any doubt whatsoever I had of getting a matrix was thrown out the door when I went to Command Post this afternoon. I had forgotten exactly how fast those things are. I also got to try out a dark ir3, which is pretty nice, but still man.... *sigh*

screw you guys, my future gun ownz all of urz! LOL
Old 05-23-2002, 01:16 PM #9
little420devil
i see you

what are the problems peole are talking about

first id like to say thanx to deathbymatrix for his post but what are the problems people are talking about the new matrixs haveing problems outof the box

2k1 black uncut lcd

Old 05-23-2002, 10:02 PM #10
deathbyMatrix

What problems are you hearing about?

Jerry
Old 05-25-2002, 03:28 PM #11
little420devil
i see you

i dont care

i dont care what people think anymore so i just ordred my matrix off of rotten paintball im not even shure if they really had reason they just said that they have problems out of the box?!?!?!?!

2k1 black uncut lcd

Old 05-25-2002, 06:41 PM #12
msiaematrix
AZ LEGION

I have an old matrix LE... I have had no problems with it. I dont even have a bolt kit yet (been trying to order one, out of stock EVERYWHERE!). I've had my matrix for a year now, it is still performing like the day I bought it.

to maintain it, you just gotta lube up the bolt alot before you want to play (it takes all of about 3 minutes... I do it every weekend right after I get done playing.)

the matrix is the most accurate marker I have every owned (and I have owned various high end cockers.) I am trying to convince a few of my willing teammates to switch to matrices. two of them will order theirs as soon as they get some cash.

right now, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better money-performance marker on the planet.

dont be afraid of them, dont listen to other's horror stories. just treat this like you would treat any other marker. it will perform well for you.

karnivor~ yea its sick.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:23 PM #13
hedgehogsforprez

hedgehogsforprez is a founding member
i beg to differ on that one msi.....tribals are around 250-300 stock and i got mine witha TI boomy a air america raptor and gen-x reg for 366.....not really that hard pressed now is it and tribals rock. i love 'trix's tho once i think im ready i might pick one up
Old 05-25-2002, 09:47 PM #14
General Tips

They don't even make tribals any more thats not much of an option.