Community Focus

Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 PM #1
jaydiem

jaydiem supports Team VICIOUS
jaydiem has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jaydiem is attending Decay of Nations VI
jaydiem supports DLX Technology
Alien customer support...

So my 12' Alien invasion is leaking bad and I can't figure out how to fix it. I contacted alien and asked about sending it in. They told me they charge $60 AN HOUR plus shipping tech it. Does that sound right? Assuming they take 2 hours to fix it, that's $120 plus $30 round shipping. That's $150 to fix a $500 marker. That seems excessive.

Does that sound right?
jaydiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 PM #2
TS4life

E-mail or call Jack directly from what's on Alien's website. Not personal experience but have heard many say that he'd sit on the phone with you to fix the issue. Give it a go, that doesn't sound like Alien to me.
TS4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 PM #3
jaydiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS4life View Post
E-mail or call Jack directly from what's on Alien's website. Not personal experience but have heard many say that he'd sit on the phone with you to fix the issue. Give it a go, that doesn't sound like Alien to me.

This is who I emailed. "Jack Rice" <alienpbj@gmail.com>

I did email Jack. That was the response I got.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM #4
Forrestball

That doesn't sound like alien, every time I needed something Jack did all he could to keep cost down. Maybe they were loosing to much money/time on doing repairs at cost.
Forrestball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM #5
Forrestball

The invasion is pretty easy to work on, I'm sure someone here can diagnosis the problem if you describe what's going on with it.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:36 AM #6
jaydiem

I air it up and it has a bad leak coming from the piece in the back of the marker that joins the body and frame.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM #7
Forrestball

Could be a few things. I think you can take the body off the frame and attach the frame on backwards to the body so you can air it up with the back exposed and the leak will be easier to find
Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM #8
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Probably just a bad ram oring venting out the noid. A common problem with most poppet style guns.
CCI stock class Phantom pump f/s. This thing is LNIB. Comes with stock magazine, extended magazine, barrel detent kit, crossfire lite up dot sight, velocity adjustment tool, 12 tubes even the barrel blocker

Ninja grey 50/4500 paintball tank f/s. Hydro good until 2019

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:02 AM #9
SilentBall55

That is one of the reasons I buy Empire products. They took care of me twice when I had issues with the Axe and now I just bought another Empire product, a GS.

Lifetime Warranty rocks!
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:04 PM #10
MstrKey

Well, empire is a much larger company. With alien......Jack is doing most everything so you just have to be a bit more patient.
CCI stock class Phantom pump f/s. This thing is LNIB. Comes with stock magazine, extended magazine, barrel detent kit, crossfire lite up dot sight, velocity adjustment tool, 12 tubes even the barrel blocker

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 PM #11
SilentBall55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrKey View Post
Well, empire is a much larger company. With alien......Jack is doing most everything so you just have to be a bit more patient.
Then J4 must be a bigger company because Josh is providing lifetime warranty on the Torque.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:16 PM #12
Airdale

I don't know if its the same email, but on the site his email is jack@alienpb.com. As for the gun itself, I have one too and its really easy to work on, its a lot less complicated than taking my DM apart. Every problem I've had I just call alien, and even if Jack doesn't answer and its somebody else, they've sat on the phone with me as they talked me through how to fix every problem I've had.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:32 PM #13
MstrKey

warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
Then J4 must be a bigger company because Josh is providing lifetime warranty on the Torque.
Anyone can provide a lifetime warranty. Just say the lifetime is 5 years....done deal lol. Without getting into the details of what a warranty covers, we're talking about customer service here. Customer service is about staff. The warranty means very little in the grand scheme of things, if you go out of business in 6 months because you blew your profits on staffing a lot of people to do repairs for free.

Running a business isn't so cut and dry. J4 is new to the game and they have only one product at this time. Maybe they'll last, maybe they won't. We shall see.

EDIT: I'd prefer to see a lot of little guys on the market. Not just in paintball but in every industry. So I have nothing against J4 or alien or anyone.

Last edited by MstrKey : 09-26-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:55 PM #14
Forrestball

Well said
Old 12-22-2014, 10:16 PM #15
tacoman32

tacoman32 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I've been told by Jack on the phone that it would be $60 an hour for repair, so you weren't decieved. My Indy has 2 leaks that even the local pro shops can't fix, so I'm considering it.. or going to cut my losses and upgrade to a new marker.
tacoman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:45 AM #16
MstrKey

If your pro shops can't fix the leaks, they aren't very good at their jobs. Every leak is the result of a bad seal. Find the exact spot of the leak, you solved the problem. A bottle of water with dish soap is your friend. Alien guns can also be aired up when taken apart.....which helps a lot.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 AM #17
hoot1

hoot1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
The price of $60 per hour is correct and you will need to cover shipping. However Jack will and has with me email you and try to do everything he can to help you fix the marker before you send it in. How many other owners would do that? Not a tech but the owner! He will do everything possible to help you avoid that cost. Isn't that good customer service when he helps you to try and save money? Mine was a ad solenoid and he helped diagnose it. That is a part that he buys and installs in the marker and does not make himself.
1 of 16 PB4A Geo3, 1 of 10 SL Alien Independence, 2012 Alien Invasion
2014 Machine Vapor, V3 Machine Vapor
2001 Shocktech Hook Up Autococker, Automag
hoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:19 AM #18
Jack Rice

Jack Rice works for a Paintball manufacturer
Jack Rice posts videos on PbNation
Part of the problem is the original statement "suppose it takes 2 hours that is $150" You can suppose anything.
I rarely take a full hour to fix a Invasion and return shipping is $15.
Lets say it 30 or 45 minutes then is $30 or $45 plus the $15. So instead of $150 It's $45 to $60 with shipping.

Also - this is not an out of the box gun. Notice the player doesn't say that he bought it new and it developed a problem.
What if this player picked up a busted gun for $150? Is it fair to fix it for free? If so then either I have to make much cheaper guns or charge a lot more for them. He states that this is a $500 gun and needs $150 in repairs.
Truth is this is a gun that performs like a $1,000+ gun and needs maybe $50 in repairs - plus shipping.
Things can be presented in many different way.
Jack Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:48 AM #19
jodyn

^^^^^^^ What the Man said
jodyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:35 PM #20
poomunj

Annual Supporting Member
I think the issues here were assumptions and lack of info/transparency. Good luck to you both, nice to see a manufacturer so involved with their product.
poomunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM #21
Whizkidnight

Whizkidnight is playing at Living Legends VII
Jack Rice

I have been attempting contact with Jack Rice for a while concerning detents for my Invasion. He was quick to respond with a price in which I paid the same day (plus $1)Jacks email on Feb 9th:
"Very short on those will have to get another batch made
I will send 4 of the for $6 including shipping with tracking
You can PayPal to jack@alienpb.com"
I have written nicely 3x since then with no response.
Is this normal?