Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-29-2005, 02:19 AM #1
SecretAsianMan
Crazy Neighborhood Asian

has been a member for 10 years
How do I get my own domain and whatnot

My friends and I have been wanting to buy a domain for a long time. I was wondering how I should go about getting our desired domain name and adequate bandwidth. I typed in the domain name we want in the IE address bar and it went to MSN and prompted me to check the availability of the domain. Turns out it's available. Is the only way to buy it thru MSN's little offshoot website domain company or can I get it from any old place?

We're going to be hosting videos (some as big as 40 MBs or more, so I was thinking 1 terabyte/month will fit our needs for a very long time). How much would 1 terabyte of bandwidth per month cost, roughly.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Also someone teach me HTML.... right about.... now. Is HTML good for websites or can I just "buy"* some program to make the site be decent and whatnot

*illegally download
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2005, 08:31 AM #2
Goat Tanks
RUT ROH RAGGY

There are tons of places you can buy domains. Such as godaddy.com. I use www.namecheap.com and get my domain names for 8.88, and pay with a credit card. I own www.pbninja.com, www.pwntheworld.com, and several others. [the websites were taken down by my last host, because I was using too much bandwidth]

The cheapest you will ever find 1 terabyte and have it be half decent is $50. Anything cheaper will probably have lots of downtime, and probably be oversubscribed. Go to aitcom.com for a 1 terabyte dedicated server for $50 a month. Just to warn you, you better make a script that halts your website and any downloads when you reach 1 terabyte, because they will absolutely rape you if you go over the 1000 gigabyte limit. I read a story about someone who went 4 gigabytes over and he got a $400 dollar charge, not fun.

If you want a much better company, managed.com and the cheapest server there is 60 dollars a month.

As for designing the webpage, you could always use phpnuke and a template, or if you want a program to design your page, use macromedia dreamweaver.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:40 PM #3
nyy

has been a member for 10 years
there are literally a ton of places that you can register your domain

what to look for is good servers, large bandwith, a server location near you, and good customer service