PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-26-2015, 04:21 PM #1
Goblin770
Batteries?nope autococker

Goblin770 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Apex 2 , Let's talk

What are your thoughts about this barrel system? I have been watching you tube and reading ( what I can find) about this new barrel system . Looks interesting to say the least .

I received mine ( 14 inch auto cocker thread) and I got to tell you , I get less range than my freak insert barrels .
Yea I can make it hook ar 75 ft but my freak barrels I have bored out get 2x the range .

Now before you go and start giving me flak , I just finished boring it out to accept the .682 insert .
NOW I get the range and all the freak shots I want 200 ft BAAH , It can do that easy now and on target .
So this thing to work as advertised , you need the freak insert or get it bored out to accept one .

So who else got tone of these bad boys

Last edited by Goblin770 : 03-26-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Goblin770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2015, 08:50 PM #2
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VIII
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
I've got an original Apex. Ran it on its stock barrel for a brief time, then got an Apex Freak front when I had my Freak. Now it's mounted to an Apex Stella tip.

The biggest gripe I had with the standard tube it came on is that it was LOUD. Otherwise, it pretty much did what it was advertised to do. Range wasn't a problem, but I was about going deaf when I'd shoot it. It's fine on a tube set with some porting and extra length.

I will say that there's a learning curve to working the adjustment on an Apex. I think there's something like 8 different settings, from no ramp at all to a ton of ramp. Selecting three clicks of ramp seems to give me the best of range and still putting the balls where I want them.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:19 AM #3
Goblin770
Batteries?nope autococker

Goblin770 is playing at Living Legends VIII
Yes , there definitely is a learning curve . If I didn't freak bore my barrel I would still be getting roll outs . I think that's why I wasn't getting the range with the stock barrel. I got the 14 inch thinking it would fit my pump . I didn't realize it hits the pump handle . Going to place another order for the 18 inch .
For the noise level , I don't know . Didn't seem that loud on the autococker
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM #4
prone2wander

Pump Scout, did you get any noise reduction when you went with the Stella? You mentioned going with extra length and porting to reduce noise but from what I can tell the Stella set up has no porting. The original barrel at least has some. I am hoping to do a similar set up with Lurker backs but want to reduce the noise because it is loud.

Oklahoma D-Day 260th Kriegsmarine AB
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:25 AM #5
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is playing at Living Legends VIII
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Every part of the Stella has porting, and a lot of it. I run my standard backs and fronts, and the Apex mounts to a dedicated tip. The backs have porting that's inside the front when assembled. The front has 165 small ports, and the tip has two lines of porting.

From a perception standpoint, the Stella seems slightly quieter, with or without the Apex, than any similar setup of Freak I've run. Both as significantly quieter than running the Apex on its stock barrel.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:56 PM #6
prone2wander

Thanks Pump Scout. I went and looked at pics on Inception's website. Apparently their tip attaches after the barrel front. On the Eigenbarrel design the Apex tip only attaches to the barrel back which has no porting.

Oklahoma D-Day 260th Kriegsmarine AB
prone2wander is offline   Reply With Quote