Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM #1
anarchyamp

anarchyamp owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
anarchyamp has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
anarchyamp supports Empire
Paintballs getting smaller?

1) Have paintballs truly gotten smaller over the years?

2) If so, why?

3) Do smaller paintballs hurt more? (like 50 cal. paintballs)

4) Standard paintballs are .68 caliber but getting technical you can further size them to .689, .688, etc., so is .689 not the standard anymore?

5) Apparently everyone used to overbore their paint right? And now they underbore? Since the beginning of time, I have always used .689 barrels to be "safe" as in not too big and not too small. Is this not good anymore? Should I be using smaller than .689 now?

Thanks for your input!

*AMP*
anarchyamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 PM #2
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Paint is getting smaller. The new standard to me is 0.684 but some go down to 0.680 for underbore. It feels the same to get shot by a paintball in any diameter. Maybe 22 cal paint will feel like rain.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:46 PM #3
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchyamp View Post
1) Have paintballs truly gotten smaller over the years?

2) If so, why?

3) Do smaller paintballs hurt more? (like 50 cal. paintballs)

4) Standard paintballs are .68 caliber but getting technical you can further size them to .689, .688, etc., so is .689 not the standard anymore?

5) Apparently everyone used to overbore their paint right? And now they underbore? Since the beginning of time, I have always used .689 barrels to be "safe" as in not too big and not too small. Is this not good anymore? Should I be using smaller than .689 now?

Thanks for your input!
1. Yes. I've heard in Europe not as much but I've definitely noticed it in California (have yet to play out here in North Carolina but I would be surprised if paint was huge here).

2. The theory I heard most is cost-cutting. Smaller ball = less gelatin. Dropping .005 of an inch doesn't seem like much but when you're churning out thousands and thousands of paintballs there's probably a noticeable savings in raw materials.

3. Why the hell would that be true? No they don't hurt more.

4. .689 used to be the standard when I first started playing. Now it's definitely closer to .680-.685.

5. Underbore vs. overbore always causes huge debates, use whatever the **** you want. I underbore exclusively because I play pump. With a semi it doesn't really matter.