Graffiti 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM #1
kgo-shadow

kgo-shadow is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
kgo-shadow owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Graffiti vs gi 5 star

Hello all,

I am planning on attending dreaded legends in january and can't decide on which paint to choose for the event. I will be bringing a 2k4 prostock pump, original etek ego, dangerous power g5, and etha so that I have plenty of options and backups. registration through APPA limits the paint choices to marbalizer, graffiti, and gi 5 star. I want a paint that is going to shoot well without breaks through all of my markers without problems. I have heard good on graffiti but haven't shot any of the 3. so which paint should I get? I usually shoot premium at my local field because its the best paint available but I sometimes order evil for the field when I am meeting up with a bunch of buddies to play. I dont know if that info helps but is grffiti worth the extra money or should i stick to 5 star or marbalizer? which would you pick? tell me way and answer the poll.
kgo-shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2015, 05:08 PM #2
Superzeus
Domer

has been a member for 10 years
Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Graffiti is quality mid-upper tier paint. There's variation with any given batch, but on average in my experience it's shot better than Premium. 5-star is maybe the best tournament grade paint out right now. It will shoot straighter and break more often. Marbs aren't what they used to be I'd avoid them.

For pump I'd go with the best paint possible. I'm not sure the rest of your guns are gentle enough on paint to consistently handle 5 star with no issues. Maybe the G5. Super brittle paint can also be annoying to play with in the woods when the smallest twig can blow apart your ball.

If you're playing mostly pump I'd probably go 5 star, otherwise Graffiti.

OG FEEDBACK

Last edited by Superzeus : 11-06-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Superzeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:13 PM #3
kgo-shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
Graffiti is quality mid-upper tier paint. 5-star is maybe the best tournament grade paint out right now. It will shoot straighter and break more often. Marbs aren't what they used to be I'd avoid them.

For pump I'd go with the best paint possible. I'm not sure the rest of your guns are gentle enough on paint to consistently handle 5 star with no issues. Maybe the G5. Super brittle paint can also be annoying to play with in the woods when the smallest twig can blow apart your ball.

If you're playing mostly pump I'd probably go 5 star, otherwise Graffiti.
I was thinking of only running the pump the first day unless I found it to be a whole lot more fun than expected out there. I just dont think pump is going to be a good way to play with that many people but i could be wrong. maybe i will just buy a box of the 5 star the first day an then 2 cases of graffiti. that gives me the ability to use both if needed plus I can always buy more paint when I get there. I guess I'll see if anyone else chimes in on this. I dont think the geo would be a problem for running the 5star though. I have a techt kush bolt in it and virtue board so I could always order some and try it through each marker before making my decision. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:53 PM #4
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Empire
I second the recommendation of 5 star, especially for pump. It's going to be a big event so they'll probably get fresh pallets of 5 star. I shot that at a tournament once and it was fantastic. Nice and brittle and shot very straight. I think going with graffiti will be a good choice for keeping costs down if you're planning on laying a lot of paint with an electronic. Good mid range paint and I've shot it with no problems in the past.

Have not shot marbs, so cannot comment, but the other two are solid for the price. Don't know if your budget can handle 3 cases of 5 star, but having it fresh is a huge plus.
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:15 PM #5
kgo-shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariguy5 View Post
I second the recommendation of 5 star, especially for pump. It's going to be a big event so they'll probably get fresh pallets of 5 star. I shot that at a tournament once and it was fantastic. Nice and brittle and shot very straight. I think going with graffiti will be a good choice for keeping costs down if you're planning on laying a lot of paint with an electronic. Good mid range paint and I've shot it with no problems in the past.

Have not shot marbs, so cannot comment, but the other two are solid for the price. Don't know if your budget can handle 3 cases of 5 star, but having it fresh is a huge plus.
Graffitiis actual more expensive. It's an extra $3 a case for graffiti. I just worry about my markers handling it ok. Pump would be fine and I think the etek would be fine with the kush bolt and I may buy a new bolt for the ethabefore then so icanrun them all. Budget isn't an issue. I actually would like to bring paint because it's usually cheaper.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 PM #6
SubseaSuper
John S

Annual Supporting Member
SubseaSuper owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
SubseaSuper plays in the APPA beginner division
......I despise Valken paint personally. I've shot it on 3-4 different occasions (redemption and graffiti) and they were different batches, conditions, locations. I was using my 3.5 and GSL. It was the most inaccurate paint I've ever shot. The GI field paint shot heaps better. Seriously, we were doing snap shooting drills at around 10-15 yds apart and every shot was 3-4 foot off from my aiming point. Tried over boring/under boring/bore matching and got similar results. You can imagine what the accuracy was like shooting off the break. I was literally shooting back center bunker around the Xbox from my own back center bunker.

Anyways, some people swear by it, but I won't be buying it again unless there's no other option. I'd choose Marballizer over anything Valken puts out and that's saying something.
On the plus side, I didn't have too many barrel breaks (don't really have them anyways with the 3.5/GSL) and the paint really stings when you hit people in the head/torso , so if you're into that, graffiti's should be your first choice for paint lol.
(It is entirely possible that I just had a few consistently bad batches of Valken but damn, it's expensive to buy a crappy paint and because you've opened it, the field won't take it back IMO, I'd say go with the 5-star or Marballizer if you need a bit more umph through trees/bushes. 4 and 5 star have always been good to me along with Empire evil/Premium. Hope this helps bud!

(I play in Texas and it was extremely warm the times I played with Valken paint this year. Maybe that or storage conditions had something to do with the crappy quality?)
SubseaSuper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:32 AM #7
ILoveHelloKitty85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgo-shadow View Post
Hello all,

I am planning on attending dreaded legends in january and can't decide on which paint to choose for the event. I will be bringing a 2k4 prostock pump, original etek ego, dangerous power g5, and etha so that I have plenty of options and backups. registration through APPA limits the paint choices to marbalizer, graffiti, and gi 5 star. I want a paint that is going to shoot well without breaks through all of my markers without problems. I have heard good on graffiti but haven't shot any of the 3. so which paint should I get? I usually shoot premium at my local field because its the best paint available but I sometimes order evil for the field when I am meeting up with a bunch of buddies to play. I dont know if that info helps but is grffiti worth the extra money or should i stick to 5 star or marbalizer? which would you pick? tell me way and answer the poll.
I think Graffiti is the "Goto" paint when in a pinch. But to be honest, I never had very much luck with it and so have my friends.
ILoveHelloKitty85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 AM #8
kgo-shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubseaSuper View Post
......I despise Valken paint personally. I've shot it on 3-4 different occasions (redemption and graffiti) and they were different batches, conditions, locations. I was using my 3.5 and GSL. It was the most inaccurate paint I've ever shot. The GI field paint shot heaps better. Seriously, we were doing snap shooting drills at around 10-15 yds apart and every shot was 3-4 foot off from my aiming point. Tried over boring/under boring/bore matching and got similar results. You can imagine what the accuracy was like shooting off the break. I was literally shooting back center bunker around the Xbox from my own back center bunker.

Anyways, some people swear by it, but I won't be buying it again unless there's no other option. I'd choose Marballizer over anything Valken puts out and that's saying something.
On the plus side, I didn't have too many barrel breaks (don't really have them anyways with the 3.5/GSL) and the paint really stings when you hit people in the head/torso , so if you're into that, graffiti's should be your first choice for paint lol.
(It is entirely possible that I just had a few consistently bad batches of Valken but damn, it's expensive to buy a crappy paint and because you've opened it, the field won't take it back IMO, I'd say go with the 5-star or Marballizer if you need a bit more umph through trees/bushes. 4 and 5 star have always been good to me along with Empire evil/Premium. Hope this helps bud!

(I play in Texas and it was extremely warm the times I played with Valken paint this year. Maybe that or storage conditions had something to do with the crappy quality?)
great write up on this. I ordered 500 balls of graffiti and 500 balls of gi 5 star to test. i'd prefer to run 5 star as its cheaper but the brittleness will be my concern. I know the etha tends to chop bad with brittle paint but im curious if the 5 star will shoot well through my etek and g5. if itll shoot through the g5 and etek, 5 star it is. my etek is old but I have a techt kush bolt in it so I think it may shoot it ok but as it gets older its less reliable. Im currently in the market for an etek 4 or 5 but cant find one at a price I want or anyonethat would trade it for my ps4.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:57 PM #9
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
At the same price or less? 5 Star all day every day.

If for some reason you have issues with the brittleness go with the Marbs. They are not quite as brittle as the 5 Star but will be break on target more often than the Graffiti.

Unless you are trying to shoot paint with a Cuisinart, there is no reason to pay extra for Graffiti.
IF I DO NOT SHOOT YOU MY TEAMMATE WILL
eBay FEEDBACK
Did we take video or photos of you looking awesome? -->NHW Paintball Facebook
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:03 PM #10
kgo-shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadmuppet View Post
At the same price or less? 5 Star all day every day.

If for some reason you have issues with the brittleness go with the Marbs. They are not quite as brittle as the 5 Star but will be break on target more often than the Graffiti.

Unless you are trying to shoot paint with a Cuisinart, there is no reason to pay extra for Graffiti.
if you look at registration for dreaded legends on the APPA website it says the graffiti is +$3.00 per case. not a huge difference but still thats extra money on paint that apparently isn't as good from what everyone is saying. I hate marbs though. or I at least hate the old ones from back in 2012. I haven't touched them since. I am pprobably going to play pump so I think that I am going to go ahead and go with the 5 star. I ordered 500 of each though from ANS gear and am going to try both through my markers this weekend and see how they do. I dont have a lot of paint for testing through each though so I will probably just test at the chrono instead of in game. If i can use 5 star in all of my markers (except maybe the etha) i will run 5 star for the whole weekend of dreaded legends. thanks for the write up
Old 11-13-2015, 09:40 AM #11
kgo-shadow

ok for all those still watching this thread, I received the paint yesterday, chronod after work and tried them all out in each marker. as expected the etha chopped gi 5 star. however the g5, pump, and etek with techt kush bolt all shot it pretty well at 280fps. I tested at around 280 because thats where my local field chronos us at in case the fps creeps upward while playing. I saw that marbs still suck balls just like they did back in 2012 and the graffiti actually shot really well through the etek, g5, and etha. Where I noticed the difference is when using my 2k4 prostock pump. wow gi 5 star shoots super consistent through it!!! the graffiti however was a little disappointing. I set the pump in a vise to test my shots and the gi was pretty much ball on ball with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 strays out of 100 shots. the graffiti however would go a foot to the left one shot and the next up and to the right 12 inches from center. add up the distance from far left to far right and there was a 2' gap in consistency. thats pretty sorry and when trying to snap shoot I'd lose every single time. in reference to the poll I posted yall made it very clear that 5 star is the go to and in my consistency test I proved yall right. thanks for the write ups everybody!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM #12
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

Annual Supporting Member
Your gun shouldn't be chopping paint. Check the eyes of eye settings.

Rediscover: "its good to see you didnt take any flying metal objects to your juggular."
13pbstar13: "I dont have tits bro" (true story)
Paint_hore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:40 PM #13
honculada
Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
honculada is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
honculada is Boss
I played with grafitti last weekend(scenario). I usually pump all weekend but I switch to my 3.5 after 10 minutes. Grafitti was just all over the place and bouncing like hell. Im located in Florida.

"Originally posted by CCM CHICK: LoL! There is soooo something wrong with you! ;)"

"Sometimes I wear yoga pants to checkout my own ***!" Me
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:27 PM #14
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
I haven't had a good box of Marbs in the past year. I'd call it a mid grade paint in a high end box. Graffiti is better imo, having shot a lot of cases this past year. Flies reasonably straight, some bounces, but a better mid grade paint. 5 star is awesome, very brittle though. I have some of it leak on the seams after a couple of weeks in the closet. Shoots darts and hopefully fresh those are not issues. When too brittle I can't get it out of my ccm without breaking paint in the barrel. Not chops.
r90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM #15
Superzeus
Domer

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I have had consistently solid to good experiences with Graffiti out here in Cali.

OG FEEDBACK
Superzeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 AM #16
honculada
Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
honculada is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
honculada is Boss
For some reason Florida has been a blackhole when it comes to paint. Grafitti was great until 2-3 years ago then just went to ****. Marbs was great too until GI purchase them, now its complete garbage.

"Originally posted by CCM CHICK: LoL! There is soooo something wrong with you! ;)"

"Sometimes I wear yoga pants to checkout my own ***!" Me
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:05 PM #17
safariguy5
Bear Cavalry

Annual Supporting Member
safariguy5 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
safariguy5 plays in the APPA D5 division
safariguy5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
safariguy5 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
I have had consistently solid to good experiences with Graffiti out here in Cali.
Yeah, I've had good results with Graffiti as well. One of my buddy's even got a box of Graffiti that had purple shells and purple fill. It looked like grape jelly. Was neat to look at if nothing else.
safariguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:28 PM #18
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by honculada View Post
For some reason Florida has been a blackhole when it comes to paint. Grafitti was great until 2-3 years ago then just went to <del>****</del>. Marbs was great too until GI purchase them, now its complete garbage.
QFT
Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 PM #19
kgo-shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint_hore View Post
Your gun shouldn't be chopping paint. Check the eyes of eye settings.
Chilling was the wrong word for it because it wasn't actually a feeding issue as I could 1 ball and get breaks. The eyes were on and the marker works flawlessly. The marker just isn't easy enough on brittle paint. That was the problem I was having. All the others shot it fine though as mentioned. I worked as a marker tech at my local field for 3 years straight and stopped playing for a while and am still picking back up in the sport which is why I've asked for paint. Didn't know some of the newer lines lol. I still know how to service a marker properly though and our field has always been a license PE service center so we were taught properly on how to diagnose problems and make sure settings of the board weren't the issue. Thanks for your reply though. Me saying chopping made that unclear so I definitely see where you were coming from
Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 AM #20
tomc727
Doc

tomc727 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
tomc727 plays in the APPA D5 division
tomc727 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tomc727 supports Empire
I've shot about 7 cases of Graffiti as the field paint at one of the indoor fields here. Every case has shot completely different, and each case even had a different bore. First case was .681. Cases 2-4 .685. Shot the 5th and 6th cases tonight and they were .689. It is really annoying when you open up a new case and your gun turns into a blender because of the drastic change in bore size.

The paint has not been that accurate, too. Disappointing.

When I was in south Florida, the GI paint when you could get it was fantastic. You can't go wrong with 3-5 star.

When I played SPL, marbalizer was surprisingly fantastic.

I'm disappointed in the Grafitti.

Planet Eclipse LV1
Planet Eclipse Geo 3.1
Planet Eclipse Aftershock 25th Anniversary 3.5
Planet Eclipse CS1
Bob Long Dragon G6R Intimidator
tomc727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:09 PM #21
martix_agent
Not actually from ICD

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc727 View Post

When I was in south Florida, the GI paint when you could get it was fantastic. You can't go wrong with 3-5 star.
3 star paint has become increasingly sporadic. If you're looking for solid event paint, stick with 4 or 5 star.
martix_agent is offline   Reply With Quote