Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 AM #1
hkarmy52
keep it at 90 boys! chris

hkarmy52 supports Cereal Killerz 2
hkarmy52 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hkarmy52 supports Team VICIOUS
cure 3 bolt or hush bolt for sl74

hey im not sure which to get for my sl74
its between a cure 3 and a techT hush bolt.
im not sure if the cure 3 doesnt fit in an sl or doesnt work with it as well since its a newer design and that the sl74 is a couple of years old
I know the hush bolt will work with it but im not sure if i should get it or not
i have a cure 2 in my sl right now and it shoots fine but still thinkin about upgrading.
i want to know what the differences are in both bolts like lightness,efficiency,quietness, etc
1 thing i am not sure about are the inserts in the cure 3
do you have to change them now and then or soon?
i know the hush bolt is smaller and it has the same sort of desing as the cure 2 but it apparently is more quiet and there are no little pieces you have to put in like the cure 3.
just give me your opinions please thanks
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 AM #2
loldongs
I know the paintball

loldongs owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
loldongs owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
loldongs posts videos on PbNation
The cureX should be out shortly however I'll take the hush over the Cure3 and the cure3+ over the hush.
plus it should fit.
loldongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM #3
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
All Ego and Etek bolts are interchangeable, so which bolt you choose shouldn't be an issue. Chances are that anything other than the stock bolt won't be cut to match the back of the marker's bolt chamber, but they will work.

The only thing that can be an issue is the bolt pins - bolt pin length has changed from year to year, and using the wrong pin can mean that the sprung plunger hasn't got a location to lock in to, and this can lead to the pin keep popping up when you fire. Best to swap the pin from your stock bolt to the new bolt.

Having said that, some of the newer bolts, as well as aftermarket bolts, don't come with a pin anyway, which resolves the issue, and keeps the price down - with no pin supplied, you have to use the stock pin anyway.

Just to clarify one point, the Cure3 does not have inserts - the Cure3+ does.

The Cure3 is quite similar to the Cure2 that you already have, with the deeper ramped Cure groove on top, and the scallop at the front to clear the breech, despite the extended front of the bolt. So far, so similar.

The Cure3 though extends the ramp back a bit further, and the extended area is actually horizontal, not slanted, and with the bolt forwards, it is under the feed neck. The idea is that once the Cure groove has lifted a part fed ball out of the way of the bolt, rather than shoving the ball all the way back up in to the feedneck, the ball can actually be part way in to the breech, sat in the groove on the top of the bolt. The benefits of this are two-fold - less pressure placed on the ball stack, and so less change of crushing paint; and with the ball already part way in to the breech, feeding may be improved.

The Cure3+ takes this already improved bolt design, and then adds the inserts.

Now here's a second point to clarify - at this moment in time, there is only one insert available, which is the one that is supplied with the bolt - a ramped inlet. Ramped inlets generally help with efficiency, as they promote smoother, less turbulent air flow. That can allow more air to flow in the same time, boosting velocity. This in turn allows for a reduction in dwell, or a reduction in HPR pressure.

The SLs version of the Cure3+ does have a range of interchangeable inserts available, but these do not fit the Ego10/retail version of the Cure3+ - the inserts are a different size. Violent Products have been developing inserts for the retail bolt, but as of yet, there is no confirmation of when - or even if - these will be released.

The inserts are made to have different effects on the performance of the bolt, and are things you change to have a specific effect on your marker, rather than things that you change at intervals through necessity. For instance, you may have the ramped insert for efficiency, a ported insert to spread the air blast over the ball, another insert to deaden the sound of the shot and so on.

The problem is that while the ramped insert may be intended to improve efficiency, some of that efficiency can be lost, as the bolt is not sealed in the breech (no o-rings), so the size of the bolt and breech will dictate how well the bolt seals the breech. If you happen to have an undersized bolt and oversized breech, then you can feel air escaping back of the bolt chamber.

This is where the Hush bolt comes in. It actually has what is often considered to be a less efficient design - a ported face rather than an open face. A true venturi design could actually cause acceleration of airflow, but fact is that most paintball "venturi" bolts do not actually use the true venturi effect. As such, ported bolts are often thought as being more restrictive to air flow than an open faced bolt. Where the Hush bolt has an advantage though is that it is sealed in the breech at three separate points (bolt tip, in front of the air inlet, and behind the air inlet), helping to prevent air loss. As such, a lot of people have stated that they have found the Hush to be more efficient than the Cure bolts. Some people have experimented with adding o-rings around the inlet of the Cure bolt, but that's a different story.

The Hush bolt's ported face also helps to lower the sound signature of the marker, and may also make it softer on brittle paint - that's in relation to firing the ball, not feeding it, where it is safe to assume that the Cure bolts design features would give it the advantage (again, were it not for the lack of o-rings, the Cure bolt's open face may actually have allowed for a lower operating pressure, which would have counteracted the advantage of the Hush bolt's ported face).

It may be a gross oversimplification but in many respects, your decision can be made as simply as this - if you are looking for a bolt that minimises paint breakage, go with the Cure3+; if you want a bolt that may make your marker quieter and more efficient, go with the Hush.

Last edited by Uziel Gal : 07-21-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:11 PM #4
hkarmy52
keep it at 90 boys! chris

hkarmy52 supports Cereal Killerz 2
hkarmy52 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
hkarmy52 supports Team VICIOUS
thanks a heck of alot
my gun doesnt break paint any way so i think i might go with hush but you never know
thanks alot for that whole set of information
Old 07-21-2010, 01:16 PM #5
OLD_B4LL3R
www.teamoddity.com

Annual Supporting Member
OLD_B4LL3R owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OLD_B4LL3R has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
OLD_B4LL3R supports DLX Technology
Uziel Gal - Simply put "you rock". The time and effort you spend to help everyone, even if it's been asked multiple times, is astonishing.
You even find a way to say the same thing (make a point) so many different ways to make sure they can understand what your saying.......

Thanks for your efforts and all you do!

@OP: if you go with the Hush - you can hit Pooty51 up and he can remove some of the mass to the bolt so that it helps prevent breech wear.... Pooty51 Rocks and is very very reasonable.

Zodiac ZR-1 Black/Green = Ninja 550psi Reg'd Crossfire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Ego10 DigiCam Midnight (Virtue OLED) = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
PE Geo2 Midnight = Ninja Air 68/4500 = Seed Rotor
Dye DM9 Champagne (Pooty51 Polished Bolt / Virtue OLED) = Ninja Reg'd CrossFire 70/4500 = Seed Rotor
My YouTube . . BattleField Orlando
OLD_B4LL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:29 PM #6
Pooty51
Pootypaintball.com

Uziel wow

Thats how you become a forum captain

---Pooty's Youtube Channel - Mod - Tech - Product Videos---

---Pooty Paintball Facebook-Anno Shop---
Pooty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 PM #7
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Thanks for the kind words.

Shame about all the typos - after I've typed a fair amount, I just go word blind and stop spotting them! Hopefully you can read around the more glaring ones and it still makes sense.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM #8
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkarmy52 View Post
thanks a heck of alot
my gun doesnt break paint any way so i think i might go with hush but you never know
thanks alot for that whole set of information
if it doesn't break paint why change?
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 PM #9
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR
Dyin's for Fools!

Annual Supporting Member
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have an SL74 and it is bone stock. Works wonders, and nuff' said.
C0ck3r_W0RR1OR is offline   Reply With Quote