Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-28-2005, 06:28 PM #169
CrazyDriver84
I Snipe with PSP Mode

Annual Supporting Member
CrazyDriver84 supports Sherwood Forest
CrazyDriver84 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Co Dog, XtraBoy, Weavdogg, pb4life002004, and whoever else who says it was okay to shoot that ref bcause you think he deserved it consider this: Say someone thought you should get beat up by three guys twice your size. That fact alone should make it alright, right? Don't think that I am threating you, just wanted to bring this point home to you because I know you guys do not care about anyone but yourselves.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2005, 06:43 PM #170
Southside_Empire
Super Genius!!!

has been a member for 10 years
After reading 8 pages of this, I'm in awe of some of the attitudes displayed on here. I won't repeat what Nick and some others have already voiced. I will make a case though that more should have happened to the team. Here's why:

In most other professional sports (NBA, NFL, NHL), if a player commits such a wonton act of violence against an official he is usually fined, suspended, or both. Nothing is usually done to the team in question. These are all long-standing, established sports that won't suffer too much bad PR by such an incident. The team just moves on.

Paintball is a little different. We are less than 40 years old as a sport, and are still definitely NOT considered mainstream. Every act of vandalism, injury (including deaths), or just plain stupidity that involves paintball players or equipment is used against us in the press. Additionally, our pros arenít contracted with the respective leagues. Hell, most arenít even contracted to the team they play on. So, trying to fine someone is almost a moot point because youíve got no real way of enforcing it.

The lifeblood of our sport (at the tournament level) is the first-time walk-on or rec-player that wants something else from the sport. They are the ones that will go on to be tomorrows next Chris Lasoya or Ollie Lang. No one started playing pro paintball their first time out.

But I digress; Iím taking a guess, but I would bet you that the majority of newbies playing our sport are under the age of 18. Iím willing to bet that better than 50% of them had to fight with their parents to let them go out and try our great sport. Fast-forward six months or a year and that newbie is now at his first large regional or national tournament (with his parents). What do you think an incident like that involving the TonTon player would do to our future superstar then?

Our sport can ill-afford to allow incidents like this to occur. Sure, it didnít occur on the 6pm news, but I wonder how many folks were watching that particular game and seeing their very first game of professional paintball? Do you think they want to see any more after that? If we are to use the word ďProfessionalĒ in our sport, than our players sure as hell need to act like one.

With all that said, I would argue that now (more than ever) is the time the leagues need to step up and put the hammer down. I would argue that DQíing the team is the place to start, with follow-on discussion as to possible ďteamĒ suspensions for later events. If players are unable to control themselves because of adrenalin (which is an absolutely BS excuse), and teams arenít able to do it either, then the leagues need to make the punishment so bad that it forces teams to start policing themselves. DQíing the team is a start. Suspending them from multiple events will definitely hurt them, not only in their league standings, but also with their sponsors. I donít think many large paintball companies or (god-forbid) companies outside the industry would want to be represented in that light.

Lastly, as much as I donít want to see more bad press on our sport, if I was that ref I would definitely have pressed charges with the local PD. The league might not be able to fine him, but Iíll make sure he has to cough up some cash for bail money.

Erik

Last edited by Southside_Empire : 03-28-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:24 PM #171
crzyfrontman
Fate to yo grill!

^^^^ amen!!!

Somebody who gets it.
Team Fate fan club #1
Team Fate to yo grill!!
Tournament paintball is not a game; it is the culmination of sacrifices of people's lives.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:48 PM #172
CrazyDriver84
I Snipe with PSP Mode

Annual Supporting Member
Everything I have been trying to say Southside_Empire, you just said it better
Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 PM #173
downhilbil

anyhow people need to rise above the crap and not ever let that type of crap happen and maybe disassociate themselves with people that take cheap shots. they should def be penalized maybe a couple tourneys and maybe sanction the team cuz youall know if one person on your team gets caught cheating people say your team cheats. the same applies to cheapshots and bonus ballers.
thats pathetic
NERVE#383 ndz bolt killa detents
Shocktech frame
03 SHOCKER/tadao(M5)
Shocktech frame ndz det
freaks/maxflo's on all
dont be a hater
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 PM #174
Weavdogg622

whatever you guys think way to much about this stuff. good points here on pbnation the debators heaven. how do you guys feel on gay marriage?
Old 03-28-2005, 10:20 PM #175
leathermonkey7

I dunno... I'm not gay or married, so I dont really have an opinion. I do know that if I was reffing, and that happened, it would move from a "game" to serious. I'd probably bash his head in with a tank, get an assault charge myself, and regret it the next morning when I woke up in jail
Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 PM #176
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
The guy should get a suspension. This is basically the same as if you would hit the ref once in the head. You didnt beat the guy to death but you broke one of the biggest rules out there. Yeah the refs have to be ready to get hit. It does happen. But this was more than allowable. If the calls were that god aweful the ref should be fired and not allowed to ref at such a high level until he can prove himself better. In no way shape or form should a player have the right to shot an official. The penalty should be treated like a fight and he should be gone for up to the year. Other than that we should move on and consider if the ref is capable of making decent calls or if he should not be brought back. This isnt something that needs the cops. As a sport, along with basically all sports, physical disputes are sorted out amongst themselves. How many player to player fights have ever had the cops involved in any sport? How many player to ref fights have ever involved the cops? Not many. The sactioning body gives their punishments and its over with. That is how this should go.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:12 AM #177
XtraBoy

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyDriver84
Co Dog, XtraBoy, Weavdogg, pb4life002004, and whoever else who says it was okay to shoot that ref bcause you think he deserved it consider this: Say someone thought you should get beat up by three guys twice your size. That fact alone should make it alright, right? Don't think that I am threating you, just wanted to bring this point home to you because I know you guys do not care about anyone but yourselves.
learn to spell.

If you guys had read my post, i stated that i believe the player should be punished and im sure he got a year ban. Thats the rules. the Ton Tons recieved a 0 for that game, its not like the game went on un-punished or anything.

seriously, it was one of those things where you had to be there

Quote:
Originally posted by benzy2
The guy should get a suspension. This is basically the same as if you would hit the ref once in the head. You didnt beat the guy to death but you broke one of the biggest rules out there. Yeah the refs have to be ready to get hit. It does happen. But this was more than allowable. If the calls were that god aweful the ref should be fired and not allowed to ref at such a high level until he can prove himself better. In no way shape or form should a player have the right to shot an official. The penalty should be treated like a fight and he should be gone for up to the year. Other than that we should move on and consider if the ref is capable of making decent calls or if he should not be brought back. This isnt something that needs the cops. As a sport, along with basically all sports, physical disputes are sorted out amongst themselves. How many player to player fights have ever had the cops involved in any sport? How many player to ref fights have ever involved the cops? Not many. The sactioning body gives their punishments and its over with. That is how this should go.
yay! finally, a quality post.

This is my opinion

from what I observed, no one liked the refs on the JT field. The team i was pit crewing for had some bad calls made on that same field by the same refs, they didnt like the refs either. The team said it was because the refs were from europe. Im not going to slander the team, its just I nor the team i was pit crewing for liked the refs, nor do i think the ton tons did.

Last edited by XtraBoy : 03-29-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:38 PM #178
CrazyDriver84
I Snipe with PSP Mode

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by XtraBoy
learn to spell.
Two typos do not indicate that I do not know how to spell.

Quote:
If you guys had read my post, i stated that i believe the player should be punished and im sure he got a year ban. Thats the rules. the Ton Tons recieved a 0 for that game, its not like the game went on un-punished or anything.
Yes it was punished according to the rules but it might not be enough to deter things like this happening again.

Quote:
seriously, it was one of those things where you had to be there.
How is this important? You never explained why this is so important.

Quote:
This is my opinion

from what I observed, no one liked the refs on the JT field. The team i was pit crewing for had some bad calls made on that same field by the same refs, they didnt like the refs either. The team said it was because the refs were from europe. Im not going to slander the team, its just I nor the team i was pit crewing for liked the refs, nor do i think the ton tons did.
So what? That makes no difference, other than you give us his motive to shoot him, which actually makes it worse on the Ton Ton player.

You are not making any sense at this point. I think that you know what he did was wrong, but on the other hand it sounds like you are still making excuses.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:45 PM #179
crzyfrontman
Fate to yo grill!

Quote:
The team i was pit crewing for
Wait... you wernt even there to play!
Team Fate fan club #1
Team Fate to yo grill!!
Tournament paintball is not a game; it is the culmination of sacrifices of people's lives.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:58 PM #180
BOOGPRO
Masters World Champion

BOOGPRO donated to help Peyton Trent
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends V
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VI
BOOGPRO is playing at Living Legends VII
Wow 9 freeking pages impresive young padawans.As a refferee myself ive never had the displeasure of somthing like that happen to me .I wonder how i would respond to it if it did happen to me??? i do have a temper at times.I hope the poor ref is ok fortunatly it only hurts for a little while.

BOOGIE NXL Referee
Original Member of FLA Annihilators, RAGE. Member of Lockout, Jax Warriors, Nemisis, Strange B, Cypress, Mickeys Rats,Legacy Masters, loaned to East Coast Eliminators N.Y., Palm Beach Predetors, Hounds of Hell N.Y.,CFP Masters and many more. Original P.R.O. , NXL Referee,PSP, NPPL, EXL, NCPA,CFPS,SPCS, Ultimate Madness, Areanaball, UK Referee . Draxxus All Stars '08 World Cup Masters Champion

R.I.P. Towlie & Odin

Yes i am the reason we have ID cards now sorry
Old 04-03-2005, 08:19 PM #181
TheRoyAllen
H-Town Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by BOOGPRO
Wow 9 freeking pages impresive young padawans.As a refferee myself ive never had the displeasure of somthing like that happen to me .I wonder how i would respond to it if it did happen to me??? i do have a temper at times.I hope the poor ref is ok fortunatly it only hurts for a little while.

BOOGIE NXL Referee
I know how i would react, id be swingin bows right and left
Old 04-04-2005, 05:58 AM #182
kudos9
Do you know Kimball?

kudos9 is a Supporting Member
Calling the cops would be going a little too far but there are some states that have additional/harsher penalties for assaulting sport officials (which would apply in this case).

Ban the shooter for 6 months. The punishment seems fair considering what he did. Imagine if a basketball/football/baseball player took multiple balls and launched them at the ref repeatedly....
Old 04-04-2005, 01:08 PM #183
dahobo
N

how can we still post here yet the forum isnt displayed?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:11 PM #184
TheRoyAllen
H-Town Hero

I have the ability to make magic threads
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 PM #185
Bayhouse
Northern Cali

Bayhouse is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by dahobo
how can we still post here yet the forum isnt displayed?
www.pbnation.com > Tounament Talk > NPPL > NPPL Huntington Beach 2005 > Team shootin up REFs.

Done!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM #186
Weavdogg622

god damn seriosully wehn is this thread gonna end ive been reading it since it was page one,im afraid this one will go on forever.