Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-08-2002, 07:31 PM #1
cpmd

has been a member for 10 years
Sand Ridge and Racegun

Have a few questions about them

1.) Witch is more dependable?

2.) Better Preformance?

3.) Quicker Turn around time? (if i get it installed at the factory)

4.) Worth the money?

5.) Easier to repair?

6.)over all performance

7.) Preferance

I know there are alot of questions, but this will help me alot in deciding what to get. thanks
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2002, 11:17 PM #2
saM!
ninjalicious

saM! is a Supporting Member
saM! is a founding member
Talking Easy

Simple search would answer all your questions. Try it!

saM!

Xtopia/Suncity Paintball
Old 05-09-2002, 01:07 AM #3
pbjosh
In February -

pbjosh is a founding member
pbjosh works for a Paintball manufacturer
Honestly I am a bit biased. But I will try to help you a bit:

First, why limit it to just the race and sandy? Centerflag has a good grip, and the protech setup is very much like the Sandy, but cleaner IMHO. Also Doc Nickel has a nice Electro cocker I got to play around with once.

How about you tell us what your priorities are, and let us go from there.
Have a few questions about them

1.) Witch is more dependable?

When you get a good sandy, or well tuned one, no real difference.

2.) Better Preformance?

By which terms? Higher ROF? Less paint broken? ten years with out a mechanical problem?

3.) Quicker Turn around time? (if i get it installed at the factory)

Centerflag or Racegun. Both have a couple of places that can do it from.

4.) Worth the money?

It is always worth the money.

5.) Easier to repair?

How much do you know? What can you repair? Can you change the water pump in your car and tune the computer, or are you afraid of plugging in the toaster?

6.)over all performance

see #2

7.) Preferance

I prefer the Racegun, but I am very biased.

Then follow saM!'s advice, and lurk for a while.

Then buy the Racegun (had to say it)

Josh

If your curious about a Racer, goto www.racegun.dk and http://www.amped-markers.com/home/faq/grip_install.htm to see how hard it is to install.

Colin @ Deadly wind: “We need to stay away from each other. You scare me.”

Owner of Patent #7610907: Paintball marker action assembly
Old 05-09-2002, 12:45 PM #4
Jynxfactor

Jynxfactor is a Supporting Member
CPMD.
Well I've been happily using a Sandridge for the last year and I have no complaints. But I am in the process of getting my new Race Half Block set up (pbjosh; hint hint).

I haven't yet had a chance to actually see or hold my new race but everything I've heard about them is good. My reason for getting a Race is that everyone askes me "is your sandridge still working?" and yes it always is BUTTTT they do have me a bit nervous about it. I don't want to be in the middle of a tourny and have my gun go down with out a sutible backup.

Now I'm not saying that my race is going to be my backup but it will have to be a pretty amazing gun to perform as well as or better then my Sandridge. I do think that if there is anoughter gun on the market that has the potental to as good as or better then my sandridge, that it would be a the race half block.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 05-09-2002, 03:08 PM #5
cpmd

1.) i limited it, because those the one that i know of, i also know bout the uprising, but i didn't know about the protech.

2.) better preformance
(range, accuracy (improvement at all?) paint breakage, dependability)

5.) easier to repair
I can tune a comp, work on cars and plug in a toaster, i know quitre a bit

i have heard many bad things about the race gun, like it will never work 2 games in a row, or the 5 way is crap, and that they have alot of problems if you install it yourself, and the timing is hard, etc.

thanx all
Old 05-09-2002, 04:01 PM #6
Jynxfactor

If your looking for better range and accuracy buy a good barrle that matches your paint.

Slaping on an electro trigger to a cocker will do absoulutly nothing for range and accuracy (some could argue that the lighter and shorter trig pull will reduce user error thou). What the electro triggers will do is elimminat the posibility of short strocking your cocker, and if you get the eye you could almost elimminate the possiblility of chopping a ball.

This is a warning for you . If you send your gun to sandridge to get converted you will have to wait quite a while before you get it back. I don't want to say this because I have never had to deal with Ritch (sandridge) from what I hear he has about the worst costomer serves you could ever run into. Josh at Amphed (for race) on the other hand will bend over bacwards to help you our.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 05-09-2002, 04:52 PM #7
pbjosh
In February -

Hey, I will respond to the one that I can:

2.) better preformance
(range, accuracy (improvement at all?) paint breakage, dependability)

About the same. and if you get the eye, the Race should be a bit better simply because the eye for the Racegun is a cut off eye, not a reflective eye. The Omron Reflective is sensative to the type of paint color.

The main difference is the timing. The Sandy is based on that the gun is doing each shot, so it operates as fast as the gun does. If any of the feedbacks go poop then your gun doesn't work. Or the sear has been known to go down.

The Racegun you tune your gun to the limits and the setting stay that way. If there are problems with the timing it really just takes seconds to fix, and I would recommend, if you have the money for a Sandy, just get a Palm for the timing. I got one, and it works really slick. And you can get one for under $100. Get the palm and the eye and and the race and you are still under the price of the Sandy. If you change to much, like the bolt to a slower one, or up the Hammer spring alot you can run into problems. Then you wip out the palm and fix it.

5.) easier to repair
I can tune a comp, work on cars and plug in a toaster, i know quitre a bit

I haven't repaired a Sandy much. But, if you can work on your PC and fix your car, you can install the grip yourself and keep it up. I really have an easy time of it when it comes to repairs.

Also, Racegun has Ethan and myself both here to work on it. Between the two of us you should have your Racer fixed no problem.

"i have heard many bad things about the race gun, like it will never work 2 games in a row, or the 5 way is crap, and that they have alot of problems if you install it yourself, and the timing is hard, etc."

I have been able to fix almost all the problems or diagnosis the problems over the phone. I have never really heard of those problems. Most of my customers who have written or called have said they have no problems, and then said they things like "I gave my angel to my back player, I will not be using it anymore" As for 5-way issues, they are SMC. They are the same type that go into Angels and Matrixes. Timing is SO easy, I need to write up a tech page for it. If you are worried about that, just look at the "Share your Racegun settings" by saM! at the top of this forum.

Anything else?

Josh

Last edited by pbjosh : 05-09-2002 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:06 PM #8
cpmd

Wow, thanks all for the helpful info (especially pbjosh). the only concern i would have now is timing it, can you do it from the comp or do you physically need to? Pritty much covered everything else i needed to know. thanx
Old 05-09-2002, 05:44 PM #9
pbjosh
In February -

cpmd!

Yes, all the timing parts connected to the grip are timed through the grip and a computer. You can cover 5 timing positions through the grip, Shot, Dwell, Open, Load, Close. Timing is easy. You don't need to adjust anything mechanical. But you might want to upgrade when you can see which part does what, by the millisecond.

Get a Palm M100, and don't worry about it. The down load program is easy to install, and I like the interface. It is quick and easy to carry around, and if you team or buddies get the grip, then you all can use the same Palm. As for timing, when you test it on the gun you will see, when the gun is timed in it runs like a Mofo. There is a way to test all 5 settings. Compared to any other gun, it is really controlable. More so than any other software I have seen. And they have more to come.

And if anybody you know has a problem with the grip, have them call me. I want to make sure there are no problems at all with it.

Josh

Old 05-09-2002, 07:11 PM #10
orangejulius

orangejulius is a Supporting Member
i installed my frame myself and didnt have one problem I had the thing on in about 10 mins its super easy but Joshes site AMP has a good artical if your gonna do it yourself. one thing I find easyer to do is to take the main spring out for setting it up just saves alot of hassle.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:06 PM #11
mezpo

I installed mine the other day....very simple. The only issue i had during installation is probably the same as orange julius. I found that it was hard to keep the sear lug out of the way i ended up turning the grip on and to live so i could pull the trigger and allow the sear to drop out of the way. As OJ said you could take out the hammer spring to accomplish this too.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:35 PM #12
orangejulius

orangejulius is a Supporting Member
how long did it take you to install your? ive found that the stock lug works in the 2ks and up the 99 lugs i do not have a 99 lug so I do not know but the 99 I dont think they work.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:18 AM #13
pbjosh
In February -

When I did the install page I did it in the same order as the manual, but in the shop I normally take out the hammer spring first, add the lug, then take out the grip solenoid and the 5-way wire so I and run the wire through the ASA. I then setup the solenoid and freekick, and finally mount the grip on the body. I fire up the board and test the hammer and sear lug with my hand till it feels right to me, then I add the spring and knock off a couple dozen shots to make sure the hammer feels right. Then I mount the front 5-way Solenoid and such, and go from there.

Josh

Old 05-10-2002, 12:23 AM #14
mezpo

It didnt take me long at all. I put it on a merlin with an aka hammer. It has a squared lug and i dont see there being a problem using their lug. Since i havent gotten to play with it....just shot it outside the store a bit ill have to let ya know about how i like it better after our next team practice.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:25 PM #15
cpmd

ok i have read the other forums about the BPS of the race, and i was just wondering, what bps can i go upto on the race wtihout chopping, without and intelli, and without teh ACE. I will be building this gun from scratch so i got to get as much info as i can. Also is it easy as a volume control to time it? thanx.
Old 05-12-2002, 02:58 PM #16
Jynxfactor

It all depends on your loader. if you have a rev or rico you should probably get somewhere around 11-13 bps and with a halo 13-15 and with a halo B I would guess higher but I'm not shore yet.

As for timing its like adjusting the volume with four different nobs.
CHRONIC
REDZ
Old 05-12-2002, 05:56 PM #17
pbjosh
In February -

Well,

Here is a screen dump of the RIP interface. It is easy to set and adjust the settings, you just put in the settings you want and hit put and it shoves the info down into the grip. You test it, and then reset what you need to. Takes a couple minutes at the most, and you are ready to run.

If you have any questions please ask,

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rippic.jpg (122.9 KB, 158 views)