PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 PM #1
Just Ingen
Darth Clayton

National Student Leadership Conference.... Legit?

Alright, so I got an email from these people: http://www.nslcleaders.org/

And it said this:

Dear CLAYTON,

We are pleased to inform you that based upon your outstanding academic achievements and demonstrated leadership potential you are invited to represent Ohio at the 2005 National Student Leadership Conference.

By accepting this invitation, you will join a select group of recognized student leaders from across the U.S. and more than 40 countries for an incredible opportunity to explore the issues that affect you, our nation and our world.

At the NSLC, you will experience exclusive site visits, special briefings, exciting tours, and the opportunity to interact with national and world leaders. In past years, NSLC students met with Secretary of Education Rod Paige, Supreme Court Justices Anthony Kennedy, David Souter and Sandra Day O'Connor, Surgeon General Richard Carmona, noted business leaders, renowned physicians and researchers, Ambassadors, Members of Congress, and White House Officials. You will also enjoy simulations specially designed to give you an insider's perspective into today's most exciting careers.

Throughout the program you'll interact closely with an amazing group of students who share your interests and, most importantly, you will make new and lifelong friends.

Upon completion of the NSLC, you will be awarded an Academic Transcript, Letters of Recommendation and a Certificate of Achievement to include with your college applications. We have found that participation in the NSLC is of interest to college admissions officers who seek motivated and academically talented students like you.

Admission to the NSLC is strictly limited, and we anticipate our 2005 programs will fill quickly. Thus, we encourage you to visit our website at www.nslcleaders.org to learn more about our programs and submit your application before April 1, 2005. Since applications are processed in the order received, we strongly urge you to apply online now. Your exclusive priority code is SE2FDA.

CLAYTON, on behalf of the more than 300 Senators, Congressional Representatives and Ambassadors who serve on our Honorary Board of Advisors, we extend our congratulations and look forward to welcoming you to the 2005 National Student Leadership Conference.

Sincerely,

[signature images here]

Now you know what I know so far. But do you know more? Is this legit? Are they gonna sell me into slavery? WHAT'S GOING ON?!/111?!?! Anyone else get an email like this or is it actually exclusive?

Photos for sale
pic thread

"originally posted by Drex17
I dont think he knows who he is arguing with.
Ingen > all
"
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2005, 07:35 PM #2
dharrison

dharrison is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I receieved the same thing in the mail. I talked about it with my guidance counselor and he said that it is a waste of money and doesn't look tremendous on transcripts. Instead of CLAYTON mine said Douglas and instead of Ohio I was representing Massachusetts.

TL;DR Don't waste your time/money.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:45 PM #3
úLB
Shamefully Since 2003

úLB is a Supporting Member
It's sounds too good to be true. The only person who won't be writing you a reccomendation is god.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM #4
risingchaos
Stankin Nugs

risingchaos is a Paintball photographer
risingchaos supports Team VICIOUS
Mine said Zach and Indiana
ZHays Design - Graphic Design | Photography
Old 03-10-2005, 07:53 PM #5
bizkitfan601

bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mine said Nick and Kansas. But mien came in the mail.

"I wonder if there is such a thing in nature as a fat mind? I really think I have met with one or two: minds which could not keep up with the slowest trot in conversation; could not jump over a logical fence to save their lives; always got stuck fast in a narrow argument; and, in short, were fit for nothing but to waddle helplessly through the world"
Old 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM #6
Just Ingen
Darth Clayton

Mine's more technologically advanced, so ha! I figured it was all crap. Thanks dudes.

Photos for sale
pic thread

"originally posted by Drex17
I dont think he knows who he is arguing with.
Ingen > all
"
Old 03-10-2005, 07:58 PM #7
zero skillet
Squat Till You Drop

SCAM!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 PM #8
auritaz

Mine was a letter that said Mike. Seems like a waste of money to me
Old 03-10-2005, 08:29 PM #9
jestemK2

Its not a scam. I attended their Medicine and health Care seminar this past summer and it was amazing. Also, receiving those letters doesn't mean you've been accepted. It means you have been nominated by someone to attend it. You need to fill out a form or two and wait for a letter stating whether or not you are accepted to attend.
If you are able to, I highly suggest going to it. Its definitaly worth it. If you want anymore info, you can get me on aim - kkoolkilla or email me at jestemkkool@yahoo.com
Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 PM #10
WilliamF (Banned)

i have turned them down 4 times
Old 03-10-2005, 08:41 PM #11
killer5284
Mpulse

i got that too..
talked to my college counsiler..
he said it looks alright on college but not amazing. So its onyl worth going if you are really interested in that specific program.

www.flickr.com/photos/dfake
Old 03-10-2005, 08:44 PM #12
PillsburyDoughboy
CondomDealerExtraordinair

PillsburyDoughboy is a Supporting Member
PillsburyDoughboy helped look for balloons
PillsburyDoughboy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
and it costs like 2 grand...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=638985
I love dirty dirty house music....
Old 03-10-2005, 08:47 PM #13
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
I got it in a big packet in mail form, to the landfill it went. I'm pissed off at all these colleges spamming my gmail account. I get about 10 emails a day from colleges.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence ľ economic, political, even spiritual ľ is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM #14
AeroSpark
Free Agent

I went to the Defence Intelligence and Diplomacy branch of it and I loved it. I'm a military nut though so it's different for me. We went to a load of places and met some pritty high ranking military officials. I even went to the night vision training facility on one of the bases we went to and got to shoot in a rifle competition with an m4a2 against some marines. It rocked because we had to shoot with night vision on in pitch black.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM #15
BLUEWAVE sc
super homie

i recieved that same letter today and i was curious so i talked to my guidance counseler today and she told me what i had assumed. the camp is a good experience and a fun camp; however, the letter made it seem as if you were chosen from a "select group of elite students", and it was really not. i'm sure you've been recieving letters from colleges after you took your PSATs and reported your score to college board, and this is basically the same thing. although it may be a good experience, it's way overpriced, and will do nothing to bolster your resume.

^the bottom line. i pm'd you in case you didn't see my post.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:19 PM #16
NightyNite (Banned)
Comfortably Numb

NightyNite is a Supporting Member
I went to National Youth Leadership Forum on Technology, it was worth it to me, since my parents paid. Very fun.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:25 PM #17
The Dread Pirate
Warning: Choking Hazard

The Dread Pirate is a Supporting Member
I got the same thing in the mail. They send it to every student on the Collegeboard's list.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 PM #18
The_Kids_Are_Alright (Banned)
Sarcasm Sandwich

It's legit, I know a kid who went to one. All the cool kids made fun of him though.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:27 PM #19
GIZMO8Z
(|||+)

GIZMO8Z is a Supporting Member
I got the same letter last year, and I was invited to be a student ambassador in Austrailia, and I went to NY Boys' State.

Robin Hood(100% Positive Feedback(Old Format))
Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM #20
LockDownChris (Banned)
QCK <3

Quote:
Originally posted by tonysk83
I got it in a big packet in mail form, to the landfill it went. I'm pissed off at all these colleges spamming my gmail account. I get about 10 emails a day from colleges.
me too
Old 03-10-2005, 10:30 PM #21
DropTopChevy
Transammmm

DropTopChevy helped look for balloons
Well Clayton, I seem to belive that your spondiferious efforts to get into an equisite college of your choosing has paid off. Dearest Clayton, attend this wonderfull seminar and the results will be prosperous.