Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-09-2001, 08:30 PM #1
Paintball Ghost
I am Addicted

has been a member for 10 years
Intimidator or matrix?

I know that everybody hates posts like this but both these guns are in the same price range neither chops(if matrix has trinity) I just need to know about speed and reliability.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2001, 06:17 PM #2
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

mr_mich is a Supporting Member
You only chop if you outshoot your loader. The big iffy thing about an ACE is that if you get a break in the breach, paint gets on the eye, and some stuff can get messy.

I don't know about the intimidator, but it's possible on the matrix to get the bolt to cycle at 90 psi and still shoot 280 FPS. The matrix can shoot up to 16.7 balls per second, I don't know about the intimidator.

The matrix comes with a kickass stock regulator, although it's a bit tall. However, don't expect more than 550 shots from a 68ci/3k nitro tank.

The intimidator has a built in drop-forward, which is nice. They are very fast and very reliable. The trigger can be adjusted down to the point where it's way below a mouseclick. Same with the matrix. The intimidator also has a sweet backlit screen, which the matrix doesn't. Then again the matrix runs on a common 9v battery.

The matrix comes in one color-black, unless you get a custom one. Intimidators come in cool colors.

I can easily max out 13 bps if I fan the trigger on my matrix. I can go about the same speed on the showcase timmy at my local shop.

Old matrices suck in terms of reliability, and I have one with the serial number 67. They have serial numbers over 1500 now... Anyways, if you get a new one, it will have an LED light, sweet rubber grips, and lots more goodies.

Take your pic.
Old 07-21-2001, 09:18 PM #3
Vern1
Timmy - WooHoo!!

Vern1 is a Supporting Member
Vern1 is a founding member
Vern1 helped look for balloons
The Timi runs on standard 9V batteries and with the Semi Only Board, will way out shoot a Warp feed which is fed with a modified 15V revolution.
Last weekend at a tourney, Morphious and I shot about 5 cases between us and did not break a single ball.
We can get close to 900 shots out of a 68/3000, but run 88/4500s which will probably shoot a case of paint between fills.
I play back and shot about 800 balls per game for 6 of our 9 games.
If you can feed a Timi, it will reward you with lots of shots and no broken balls.
With more time and tuning, the Matrix may do this good.
They are quiet and shoot well, but right now, the only drawback is the gas usage. There are a few folks who play at my field with them. I modified a 12V revy into a 15V last weekend before PACS for one of them and it helped a good bit with feed speed and he already has the Trinity mod. The same folks that make the Trinity mod have a board that is supposed to cure the bolt stick common in Matrices.
My bucks are on the Timi right now.
Hope this helps.
Petty Paintball - www.pettypb.com
Old 07-22-2001, 12:24 AM #4
Dioxide
Don't Touch Me

the reason i got a matrix

i was also stuck with the choice of matrix or timmy, one of the main reasons i got the matrix... it's LIGHT, it has VERY LITTLE KICK, and you dont need some stupid ACE to prevent it from chopping!

also, timmy's have MASSIVE kick compared to a matrix, which makes it more innacurate when shooting big strings of paint

there is still the inefficiency problem with the matrix, but there are like 3 company's working on a new bolt to make it like 40-50 % more efficient, and right now there is a sleeve out that gets u like 150 extra shots per tank...

i run my matrix with the trinity, and the only time it chopped when i damaged a bolt o-ring when cleaning, and played with it anyways, heh, massive blowback = MAD chopping, even with the trinity, a paintball can only be crunched at 100 psi so many times

got it fixed tho, worx perrrfect now
Old 07-22-2001, 02:28 AM #5
elTwitcho

I've got teamates with matrices (I play with Fatty actually) so naturally I've had a chance to shoot both my timmy and a matrix. Performance wise, they're gonna be pretty similar, though the timmy runs flawlessly while once in a while I still see some bolt stick with the matrix (with cypher chip of course), but generally it comes down to feel. You've got the matrix which doesnt kick at all. And you've got the timmy, which has a very gentle kick to it when LP modded, and almost no kick whatsoever with a delrin bolt. I personally feel that the tiny bit of kick my timmy has feels nice when you're shooting it, and is nowhere near enough to throw off your aim, while I geniunely despise the way a matrix feels when it's cycling. It's just.... ugh man. I really do believe a gun should kick a bit when fired, but that's me, I know some people who like the way a matrix doesnt kick at all, I dont really. Other than that, performance wise you're gonna be about the same, very fast without chopping. An aftermarket chip for the timmy will allow you to outshoot the matrices 16.7 bps cap (but is that really neccessary?), the timmy is reliable as hell, and the matrix has an extremely simple no frills design. Up to you, preferably gas both of em up and see what they feel like when they cycle would be my advice
Old 07-22-2001, 03:28 AM #6
Dioxide
Don't Touch Me

timmy probs

my friend roger on team point blank sold his timmy for an angel, because it kept shooting hot

other than that, he loved the timmy

ya, the timmy can shoot faster than 16.7 bps, but ur hopper cant keep up, not even with a warp, well, only in the first little burst it will, but thats all...

i dont even know anyone who can rip at 17 bps
Old 07-22-2001, 03:03 PM #7
Paintball Ghost
I am Addicted

thanks guys(or girls)

I like what I am hearing and still have no idea which one I am going to get.
I like the no kick design of the matrix and trinity but am scared to death of the bolt stick.
The intimidator however looks like its design is far more reliable, maby not as good as the matrix in some areas but with none of the problems either.

thanks again for your opinions and feel free to post any more info you may have on this topic if it comes to mind.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:28 PM #8
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

Scared to death of the bolt stick? All you need to do is fire it like 15 times and it will clear up, and if not, you just take off the backplate, stick in an allen wrench, and loosen it up a bit. That always fixes mine, and I have one of the first 60 made.
Old 07-22-2001, 04:47 PM #9
FatalSwoop
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i too have an early version (#37)

no bolt stick problem.... both guns shoot nice, i have a matrix and i LOVE it!

in my opinion, the Intimidator is really ugly. The frame is whack IMO. But hey, performance is what counts right?

Custom Hyperflow 88/45 301 Series
Old 07-22-2001, 05:31 PM #10
elTwitcho

Exactly, which is why I said performance was about equal between the 2 guns. And man, no matrix owner can call another gun ugly, that's just wrong
Old 07-22-2001, 08:12 PM #11
Dioxide
Don't Touch Me

why i find the timmy kinda ugly

what i find ugly about the timmy, is the regs stickin out the front, thats my only prob with em, i like a gun that duznt have a buncha crap stickin out of it, other than that, the timmy is kewl, but i still love my matrix over any timmy i've seen
Old 07-23-2001, 12:47 AM #12
elTwitcho

LOL. Regs sticking out front.... like a trinity? Maybe add some sentinels on there too

hehe, gotcha
Old 07-23-2001, 12:52 AM #13
Dioxide
Don't Touch Me

heh

volumizers on the matrix suck, one doesnt do ANYTHING, and the other probably doesnt do much either!

the trinity loox slick tho, its a GOOD LOOKING REG, other than the onez on the timmy

on the matrix, the trinity reg looks like the member of a finely toned athlete, while on the timmy, the regs look like ox testicles
Old 07-23-2001, 02:36 PM #14
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

Hilarious similie man...

Okay, you want to talk ugly? Lets see, the grip frame has got to go on the timmy. Oh hey! I'll go out and buy a timmy right now and replace those ugly plastic grips! Oh wait, I don't see that happening!

The trinity does look a hell of a lot better than the two regs stacked on top of eachother on the intimidator, you have to admit. And it looks kind of wrong with no in-line reg on it either. The beehive reg on the matrix doesn't look too great either, but still. They are both tall guns. Here's a pic of both:

Last edited by mr_mich : 07-23-2001 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2001, 02:41 PM #15
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

Okay first off, what is with the high rise on the timmy? Also, the gun slants down right in front before the barrel, giving it a weird "streamlined" look.

The trinity doesn't look bad at all. I'm sorry if I can't say the same for the intimidators regulators....

I'm not bashing the performance of the timmy, it's a great gun, it really is. Neither of these guns will win a beauty contest, but we can still hold our own anti-beauty contest right here.
Old 07-23-2001, 03:52 PM #16
elTwitcho

Posting pics aint helping, like I said 2 of my teamates have matrices (one of em is Fatty) and I've seen and shot em, and still think they're ugly. The timmy is designed around the regs, so it fits in, the matrix just sorta has the trinity sticking out where it doesnt really look like it belongs. The rock mod, with the hoses looks somewhat better IMO, but like I said, ugly gun, great performance, but not really for me.
Old 07-23-2001, 10:21 PM #17
mr_mich
Too hot for TV.

That's exactly what I said about the timmy.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:09 PM #18
Venom
We Are Venom

I like the Matrix becuse its function is very simple. I shot a coccker for 3 years, and got tired of such a big gun with a ton of stuff on the front of it. Thats why i got the matrix its just about the smallers gun you can get with its amazing proformance unless you consider the E- Micromag but thats a mag.
Just go Dry fire the guns and take one one that feels best when doing so. I dont think your gonna find anyone less or better of a gun unless you go in the weight and size which the timmy is bigger and little bit diffrance in balance. Also get a Lapco drop forward it makes to gun so i can balance becomes perfect on it with a 68ci.

Sorry For The Rant, Thanks For Listening
Old 08-14-2001, 02:53 PM #19
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

OK frst off the timmy has that built in Drop for a reason. As Vern1 has stated before, that bottom piece is for when your on the run off the break, the gun is PERFECTLY stable (if you put your three fingers in the groves and shoot with one finger). Try doing that on a matrix. Also a 45 frame is comng out for the intimidator. The intimidator also has an LCD, which can change MOST of the settings on the gun. Not so on the matrix. You need to take it apart. Not something too convenient if you forgett to turn it on semi from turbo or something like that, and your in the middle of a game. BUT NOT LIKE THATS HAPPENED TO ME . The intimidator stock beats the matrix stock. But once upgraded the matrix can prob be close or even with the timmy, only the timmy doesnt need the extra cash dumped into it. Your choice. Either wil perform well.
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-14-2001, 08:01 PM #20
Venom
We Are Venom

oh ...

The Matrix gets about +/- 1 fps when tested. I dont believe there are any other guns on the market that can even compare. I was testing my gun and found that i was shooting 265 264 265. I got the instant responce from the guy that was cronoing of "Nice Gun". Combind with that and no kick its defeantly more accurate then the timmy.

Also with a stock Matrix it only has Semi-Auto. You dont need the other crap becuse you can only shoot Semi-Auto in Tournys. Also you only need to go inside the grip and just flip 4 small switchs to change its max ROF. You set it once to like 11.1 and then never touch it again.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:01 AM #21
camoguy

My Timmy is very good at the chrono 284,285,285. My friends angel has gotten 3 285fps in a row. Setup properly timmys are very consistant at the chrono.