PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 PM #1
bonusball024

bonusball024 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
VS. Semi-auto/Electros

What was your first experience like vs Semi's/Electro's when you guys first made the switch to pump? Do you remember the first time you felt you were able to dominate those that could "throw" more paint than you? I was thinking about saving up for a new electro, but paintball is expensive, and I've always been interested in diving into pump and I want to know what's it's going to be life going on the field with a bit of a handicap.

The only time I've played with a pump was with a stock class phantom a guy let me use after my cocker went down. I've gotta say, it was a lot of fun, I liked how much more light weight and maneuverable I was. I'm thinking if I go with a sniper/auto-trigger platform I wont feel as outgunned as I did with that phantom as well....

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 PM #2
Jungleislandballer

Jungleislandballer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jungleislandballer supports Team VICIOUS
Its definitely a challenge at first but once you one ball them its amazing plus after you switch from pump to semi you reaaly improve
Jungleislandballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM #3
UrbanAchiever

UrbanAchiever plays in the PSP
If you stick to playing rec walkon you shouldnt have a problem
Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 PM #4
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VIII
I'd been playing paintball for about 7 years when I started pump and for a while it helped me recapture that feeling of excitement I had when I first started.

Initially it was intimidating going up against semi players, but you get used to it. Within 6 months of starting pump I joined a pump team and competed in a tournament series against all semi teams. We never took first place, but we had a 4th place finish out of 10+ teams one event, so we gave them good competition.
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:22 PM #5
brandonh1

It just adds another level to the game. I played my first full day of pump a couple weekends ago, and after I started to get the feeling of it I had a ton of fun. At this point I was planning on picking up an RSX but may hold off for a while now.
brandonh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:41 AM #6
pumpndump

pumpndump has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my first day playing pump i remember holding down an entire side of a field by myself against at least 5 people with semis.

it really isnt about how much paint you can throw, its about how you play your angles and such.
pumpndump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:37 AM #7
Ftbllstr25
Lets Boke some Smowls

Ftbllstr25 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ftbllstr25 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Ftbllstr25 supports Empire
The best feeling is when you have someone laning down on you and you just snap shot one right in the goggles, once you experience this you will realize how much pump will make you better on your accuracy and precision shots more than spray and pray shots you get with semi.
Dont bash on noobs, because some of them have hot moms!
Ftbllstr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 PM #8
markbp

pump most definatly will improve your game when you switch over to semi, i feel like you choose your shots more wisely opposed to the kids who just spray with semi and can't hit the broad side of a barn lol.
markbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM #9
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusball024 View Post
What was your first experience like vs Semi's/Electro's when you guys first made the switch to pump? Do you remember the first time you felt you were able to dominate those that could "throw" more paint than you? I was thinking about saving up for a new electro, but paintball is expensive, and I've always been interested in diving into pump and I want to know what's it's going to be life going on the field with a bit of a handicap.

The only time I've played with a pump was with a stock class phantom a guy let me use after my cocker went down. I've gotta say, it was a lot of fun, I liked how much more light weight and maneuverable I was. I'm thinking if I go with a sniper/auto-trigger platform I wont feel as outgunned as I did with that phantom as well....
I'd been coached well and told a thing or two about pump players in the area by a group of older, more experience pump-players. Among the things they covered were the perceptions of pump players and general tips and tactics.

One of the things that stuck out was that as a younger player wielding a pump gun, almost no one would expect much from me until I proved them elsewise. I was also told that I'd need to be much more aggressive than when I played with a semi. So my first game with a pump gun, I made the fifty off the break, shot out my mirror, bumped up, started shooting their back left, got two to the goggles, and walked off the field. While that back left was shooting at my direction, though, he wasn't paying attention to his side of the field and my team wound up winning because I made their twenty-ish within the first minute of the game after having shot out my mirror.

Last game I played with a semi was almost ten years ago in a recball game on a huge speedball field. Took a short bump to our thirty, shot out two players, moved to snake, shot a whole bunch more people out, bunkered the back right and then held that down for someone else to shoot out their home. I shot a half case that game. I don't buy into the "playing pump will reduce your semi-play shooting," for a bit, because I play just as aggressively and where I'd send one or two balls with a stock gun I'd send ten... or twenty... or thirty, depending on whether I was trying to keep someone tucked or actually walk it on target.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM #10
Diomedes
Nerd

Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
It'll be tough, you'll adjust. Don't rely too heavily on the autotrigger, it's harder to aim when using it. The BPS handicap isn't a big deal after a few games.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
DarwinZDF42 <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:44 PM #11
bonusball024

Had my first day of play about a month ago, but hadn't had the chance to post, verdict is... I love it!

Started the day out with my mini E-orracle and really wasnt having fun. It was a Rec day, I was out with my wife, dad, and sister, and unfortunately there was nothing but guys with really fast ramping guns and really sucky sportsman ship (I completely understand why so many think ramping is the downfall of Recball). I really wasn't having fun at that point. I decided to give my new Empire Sniper a try and ended up having the time of my life. I found playing pump to be much more relaxing and confidence building than I expected... I ended up tearing through the other team. You guys are right there really is no better feeling on the field than one balling guys with ramping or semi... If they gave me an elbow, I took it! There was one other pump guy out there and I started talking with him a little bit. He was good but I always ended up sneaking around the field and shooting him without him knowing I was there. Needless to say I'm hooked.

Lessons from that day of play though is snap shooting dominance, once I get my snap shot accuracy down its really gonna be on!

Old 05-21-2015, 05:42 PM #12
DyE 5
ߪ qr

Snapping is a key aspect of playing pump. There nothing like being engaged in a snap battle, popping out getting a shot off and being back in cover before the shot even lands, then coming back out to see the guy walking off the field. Its an awesome feeling
Mossberg
Sig Sauer
Remington
DyE 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:20 PM #13
Clark Gryphyn

Also, call me crazy, but I think the paintball gods are partial to pump players. I've had some of the best shots of my life when playing pump. Like hitting players on the run, snap shooting, long distance, you name it. Shots I feel I never would have made with one of my electros, I've made them with my pump.
Clark Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:11 PM #14
BigPumpPlayer

BigPumpPlayer owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gryphyn View Post
Also, call me crazy, but I think the paintball gods are partial to pump players. I've had some of the best shots of my life when playing pump. Like hitting players on the run, snap shooting, long distance, you name it. Shots I feel I never would have made with one of my electros, I've made them with my pump.
I can agree with this. Magic happens with much greater frequency when I am using a pump.
Pumphaus OC Phantom
Bob Long MVP
Palmers Brass N' Wood 1K Blazer
Twister Ion Pump
Sterling Pump & NSG Splatmaster
BigPumpPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 PM #15
Peffy
Pump Player #09

Peffy is playing at Living Legends VIII
Hard to get used to pump and adapt to it. But trust me, after playing, learning and getting better at a lot of skills that you need in paintball, it's so worth it. I made the transition mainly because I like the look and sound of a pump gun. And plus, $90 a case at my local field tends to very quickly drain my wallet.
Etek 3 LT w/ Cure 4 Bolt and APE Rampage OLED Board
Peffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:58 PM #16
pumpndump

pumpndump has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
had another first playing pump the other day. it was my first time playing in about 5 years and i started the day off with my electro. after 2 games, i switched to my pump and noticed how much better i was playing. i was trading paint with at least 4 players with mid-high end electros and either getting them in the gun, mask or body. it was like that for the rest of the day. i would get to the places they were trying to get to and hold them off by myself because of how much easier it was for me to snap in different areas of my bunkers each time. yeah i got hit, but it was only in my head, which i think is showing that my snapping isnt as good as it used to be, but also that i wasnt letting anything but my head hang out. to this day, i think the best investment ive ever made was my $300 used phantom.
pumpndump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 AM #17
Kubbster

Yeah pump seems hard, but it might be worth the skill u gain
Kubbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:50 PM #18
Clark Gryphyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpndump View Post
had another first playing pump the other day. it was my first time playing in about 5 years and i started the day off with my electro. after 2 games, i switched to my pump and noticed how much better i was playing. i was trading paint with at least 4 players with mid-high end electros and either getting them in the gun, mask or body. it was like that for the rest of the day. i would get to the places they were trying to get to and hold them off by myself because of how much easier it was for me to snap in different areas of my bunkers each time. yeah i got hit, but it was only in my head, which i think is showing that my snapping isnt as good as it used to be, but also that i wasnt letting anything but my head hang out. to this day, i think the best investment ive ever made was my $300 used phantom.
This needs to be a short film that starts with the paintball gods shrugging when you start the day with your electro, but then smiling wide and blessing you when you pull out your pump. The rest of the movie will be in semi slow mo, with gratuitous explosion sounds.
Clark Gryphyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:26 AM #19
bonusball024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubbster View Post
Yeah pump seems hard, but it might be worth the skill u gain
I was more comfortable and confident the rest of the day after I put away the electro and pulled out the pump. To each his own, and maybe slightly more challenging on an airball field against seasoned players.... But I don't think it's that hard.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:02 PM #20
Tw!tch
Back in action!

i tell every younger player the same thing the old guys told me when i was a kid.. play pump and your game will improve.

its a fact of life boys!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:04 AM #21
bonusball024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw!tch View Post
i tell every younger player the same thing the old guys told me when i was a kid.. play pump and your game will improve. its a fact of life boys!
Maybe play pump and it will completely restore your love and faith in paintball?