Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-27-2017, 12:38 PM #1
natethegrtpumper33

What is point of mag fed? Want opinions from pump players.

Mag fed seems to be growing and as a pump player I really just don't understand why? It seems to be all about looks and looking like a " wannabe Navy Seal". Im confused why they wouldnt't try pump play first if they really wanted to try style of play that puts them at a disadvantage.
natethegrtpumper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 PM #2
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Duckies

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegrtpumper33 View Post
Mag fed seems to be growing and as a pump player I really just don't understand why? It seems to be all about looks and looking like a " wannabe Navy Seal". Im confused why they wouldnt't try pump play first if they really wanted to try style of play that puts them at a disadvantage.
It bridges the gap between Coz play, Larping, and Airsoft combined in one big paintball umbrella.

It's Fun it's new + FS rounds yo!

Industry is pushing it hard with MFO events. They can keep the Speedball markers and paint hosers out of there games. It's popularity is on the rise because when paint volume goes down game play and fun goes up. More people are starting to realize this and paintball is better for it.

The mag fed guys at my home field spend crazy money on useless gadgets and the next best mag. It keeps the doors open field kept and the lights on in the paintball shop. They are welcome to do what they want as far as I'm concernd.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:28 PM #3
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

They can get more shots per ounce or gram of propellant with a Phantom stick feed and it will be more accurate with spherical paintballs,

I say wait until the paintball guns are mature and ready for First Strikes and any other bullet-shaped paint munitions
I also say cut the plastic crap we want metal First Strike paintguns but I know this is counter-economic and counter-growth at the moment since everyone is afraid to spend money

People who play with First Strikes have lots of fun ACTUALLY sniping people
I see it on Youtube with the scopes and footage

That tunnel vision though would give a seasoned pump woodsball player opponent ample opportunity to tap on their shoulder surrender or point-blank said sniper tho :-P
Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 PM #4
honculada
Pump OT

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
honculada is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
honculada is Boss
honculada supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
It bridges the gap between Coz play, Larping, and Airsoft combined in one big paintball umbrella.

It's Fun it's new + FS rounds yo!

Industry is pushing it hard with MFO events. They can keep the Speedball markers and paint hosers out of there games. It's popularity is on the rise because when paint volume goes down game play and fun goes up. More people are starting to realize this and paintball is better for it.

The mag fed guys at my home field spend crazy money on useless gadgets and the next best mag. It keeps the doors open field kept and the lights on in the paintball shop. They are welcome to do what they want as far as I'm concernd.
Pretty much this.

"Originally posted by CCM CHICK: LoL! There is soooo something wrong with you! ;)"

When my wife and I first got married she treated me like a god! Gave me burnt sacrifices every night.
honculada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:02 PM #5
Murz
2 FRAAMEEZZZ!!

plays in the NXL
Murz owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Murz is attending Decay of Nations VII
I would play magfed if it didn't require me to purchase an entire new set-up
Old 05-27-2017, 08:20 PM #6
Diomedes
Nerd

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murz View Post
I would play magfed if it didn't require me to purchase an entire new set-up
This is one of the hangups for me. All of my gear is for ten-round tubes. I don't want to have to buy a new rig or new panels for mags.

But why do people play magfed? It's fun for them. Same reason I play modified stock class. That's my sweet spot. Different strokes.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
DarwinZDF42 <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:07 AM #7
Leathus
Lt. Newbie

Leathus plays in the PSP
Leathus plays in the APPA D5 division
I have a magfed marker, and I can't stand it. Built it to play with my one friend, and then he moves away right after. So now I have a $400 paper weight sitting around cause I don't like it. I notice it growing, but seems aimed more towards mil-sim than just mag-fed.
Pull N C*ck Pump Paintball Team
Leathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 PM #8
Bonez6x3

I have a dye dam and a sniper and a ccm t2. It all depends on how I feel like playing that day and who I am playing with. Mag fed to me is a little harder and makes me think more then when I am playing with one of my pumps. I have to watch out more and yes I could use first strikes and shoot farther then everyone else but I like watching and seeing the hit. It is all a frame of mind really. Everyone has a choice and some like pumps, some like mag fed and some like speed ball guns.
Bonez6x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:33 PM #9
Murz
2 FRAAMEEZZZ!!

plays in the NXL
Murz owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Murz is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez6x3 View Post
Mag fed to me is a little harder and makes me think more then when I am playing with one of my pumps. I have to watch out more
Respectfully, I disagree with the above statement. Maybe if you're playing with a 100+ hopper, but try playing stock class with 10-round tubes, rock & cock. No comparison.

Last edited by Murz : 06-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Murz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 AM #10
spece108
Tiffany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murz View Post
Respectfully, I disagree with the above statement. Maybe if you're playing with a 100+ hopper, but try playing stock class with 10-round tubes, rock & cock. No comparison.
Definitely agree. Of course stock class is more difficult than mag fed. Not sure if anyone would despute that. You'd have to go single shot to get more of a disadvantage.

I hold pump guns (especially w/ pocket hoppers) and mags about the same. Semi/full, 8 or 10 mags w/ up to 20 rds each vs pump, 50 rd hopper, 3 pods w/ 50 rds each. Seems pretty close.

I'm really not fond of the extra weight and bulk that a full mag fed "load out" entails. It's really to much for me to handle on an every week basis. My friend's TCR and a half dozen zeta mags made it easier to peg folks than my stock gear. But dang that's a bunch of extra junk to lug around.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:10 AM #11
house#21
$INFECTIOUS$

its something new and fun! sometimes playing the same field, same guys, same markers gets old this brings a new element to the game, along with new challenges, i find it 10x more fun to use my vsc phantom full stock class against new players and guys that have been in the game know half of what they are doing, rather then grab a semi blast these guys away, on top of that it really ruins the fun for new players, they are the future of this sport we need to not ruin it for them for 2 minutes of fun for us.

Jimmy forakis fan club president!

Last edited by house#21 : 06-09-2017 at 11:13 AM.
house#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM #12
Riddler236

I've always found this topic fascinating in that players will answer the question very differently based on their stylistic self-identification.

For example - and I'm painting with broad strokes here, so please bear with the generalizations -
  • Many veteran pump players will opine that they see magfed as an alternative limited paint format, maybe a chance to use FSRs for a varied experience.
  • On the flipside of that, I've heard many milsim guys state explicitly that they play magfed for the realism factor. A lot of them aren't even looking for a limited paint experience - it's just a necessity evil for the appearance - and strive to find ways to carry as many mags as possible while asking for higher capacity mags, boxmags, etc.

Again, broad strokes, but that's been my experience. A lot of experienced pumpers seem to go at their magfed 'load out' with a completely different mindset than the guys who self-identify as milsimmers and may be coming from a Tippmann background.
Riddler236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:40 PM #13
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegrtpumper
What is point of mag fed? Want opinions from pump players.
Maybe so players that prefer semi-autos can be included in limited paintball or stockgun games

Lob some First Strikes at us, see if we care and see how we adapt to it
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM #14
Seajay

Seajay supports Ninja Paintball
Primarily its for first strike use. Completely different field experience. When everyone is shooting fsr the games are more about tactics and squad objective play.

It's different because fsr are so predictable marksmanship actually matters.

A phantom will always be amazing with ball paint, but that paint will always have a little bit of randomness that makes a stock class game different from an FSR game.

Both are fun. Both shoot paint.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM #15
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Duckies

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Primarily its for first strike use. Completely different field experience. When everyone is shooting fsr the games are more about tactics and squad objective play.

It's different because fsr are so predictable marksmanship actually matters.

A phantom will always be amazing with ball paint, but that paint will always have a little bit of randomness that makes a stock class game different from an FSR game.

Both are fun. Both shoot paint.
FS games are paintball games at longer distances. The tactics and squad objective don't change. The only thing that changes is long range accuracy and cost per round. People that suck with round ball will suck with FS at longer ranges. When you close the distance gap the advantage goes out the window. Just try to snapshoot with a SSR.
Old Today, 12:16 PM #16
Seajay

Seajay supports Ninja Paintball
Not meaning to start an argument, but round paint will always have a bit of randomness, even in close/normal distance. I've had shots curve, flip, drop, and rise which got players out. FSR don't do this, they fly basically straight.

FS games do start at longer range, but they are also almost perfect at close range at point and shoot.

I've noticed people play a little differently, one because they want to save paint, but also because everyone knows how accurate you can shoot FSR.
That's my observations anyways.
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote