Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-23-2002, 04:47 PM #1
Zorminster
~In search of local Team~

has been a member for 10 years
Playing back...

I recently joined a team and was drafted as what we call an 'inserter'. Basicly, i play back for the first minute or 2 (depending on 5 or 10 minute game) then i push up and play mid. I have never played back before and any tips, hints, tactics, etc would be really helpful... and yes, i have a rockin finger for the job. Also- wheres the best place to stand to play back? (obviosuly a standup) but like, center of field or off to either side? If sides, should I concentrate on the tape or what?
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2002, 03:22 PM #2
amhildreth
Sheridan Sugardaddy

Annual Supporting Member
amhildreth is a Moderator
amhildreth is a Supporting Member
amhildreth donated to help Peyton Trent
amhildreth supports Bob Gurnsey
amhildreth supports our troops
playing the back position can be a good spot to hang out. I've always had the best luck shooting straight down a lane right after the break, and using a center bunker. From there, you can usually get a good overview of any action in the center. If you do a quick left/right visual sweep, you can usually get enough positioning of the other team to at least announce where they are to your mates, if you can't get a clean shot yourself. As the game changes, move to a left or right bunker to try and keep a shot line on as many other opposite team members as possible. A little long winded, but I hope it helps.

SCP, Carter's Commandos, CanCon
Old 04-25-2002, 09:13 PM #3
AlexTeamTRibal

hmm well first off a good back player is always a good communicater. But on the pos. and job thing here itgoes.

- on the break: look for players, shoot and walk toward ur bunker at te same time.

- at bunker see where the opp is and yell it out. give ur team mates help by pinching, getting a good firing lane, or by elemination of course.

-u can shoot longer strings of paint then fronts so remeber that.

-Communicate! big part of game
Old 05-04-2002, 02:30 PM #4
Cocker_Betty

Hey Dude...
I play back..and let me tell u the key to success is communication.If u dont communicate u should seriously consider quitting paintball....well maybe dont go that far (just learn to communicate). As far as pos. goes i feel the best angle t be taking ur shots at is the side angles but that is just a personal preference.
Good luck in ur team,....maybe ill c ya out there one day
(WATCH OUT FOR STALKER FACTORY TEAM),we kick
Old 06-05-2002, 11:00 PM #5
jazz1
Death by Snoo-Snoo

Annual Supporting Member
jazz1 is a Supporting Member
jazz1 is a founding member
jazz1 is Immortal
here's something i picked up from another site. very good advise

Quote:
Originally posted by SpellDiver
Well yeah I used to play back before I went to college, so I know a little bit about it... here's what's important to someone who's really not that important (me).

Communication - You have to be VERY loud, often after a day of play my voice would be shot, because I was always shouting, asking where people are, telling people where everyone is. Another level of this is the ability to talk and shoot at the same time, under pressure. When someone moves, you have to be able to calm down and tell your team exactly who moved where.

Longballing - You have to be accurate over a long distance, which is a hell of a lot different than if you're a front player... You have to learn how to longball.

Staying Alive - If worse comes to worse, you should be the last person eliminated on your team... but if you play well enough, chances are you're going to be the one to close the game out after both sides lose their fronts and mids.

Cleanup - Like I just said, you have to be able to know exactly what to do to close out a game, cause chances are your fronts are already going to be eliminated, in their efforts to make your job of cleanup an easier one.

Perception - You have to be able to SEE what's going on before you ever communicate it. This means trying to stay "out" of your cover as much as possible without getting hit, so you can see who moves where... this also means being able to put people down in order to see something they're trying to cover up by putting YOU in... YOU have to be the one putting down the fronts, not the other way around.

Sweet Spotting - This, I absoultely CANNOT do for the life of me, but it really helps if you can sweet spot people off the break, obviously it makes the game a lot easier. This is just as much intelligence as it is a game of rock-paper-scissors. You have to guess where their fronts are gonna go, and make sure that they run into your stream of paint...

Hope I helped more than I hurt.

Sadistik
Old 06-05-2002, 11:01 PM #6
jazz1
Death by Snoo-Snoo

Annual Supporting Member
jazz1 is a Supporting Member
jazz1 is a founding member
jazz1 is Immortal
"longballing" advice?

Quote:
Originally posted by SpellDiver
Me? Play for Ground Zero??? LOL that was funny... the answer is HELL NO I ain't that good I'm in college now, so I don't play for anybody.

On longballing, what I did to to help my overall accuracy is basically hang up like a detergent bottle at chest height, then walk away a pretty far distance... maybe 40 feet? I'm not good with measuring distance by eye, but anyway I'd have my back to it, and then I'd just whip around and let loose, and after awhile I got used to how high I needed to point my 'gun to get it to hit the target within the first 2 balls or so... but that's only for like smaller 5 man teams... for 10 man, well you just need to do a more extreme exercise, just by increasing the distance between you and the target. When it comes down to it, you just gotta know your 'gun, how far it shoots (exactly) and how fast you can shoot it... controlling your ROF is important, you don't want to dump your whole hopper at 10 bps just to watch helplessly as the other guy moves while you re' up. Time is probably the best teacher in this instance, however, better than I could ever be.

And you might not know this... you're not really supposed to actually hit the bunker, you're supposed to shoot AROUND the bunker because there's a slight possibility that he might not know he's taking heat (no loud sup' air-bunker-being-sprayed-with-paint sound). You never know when someone'll lean right out into your paint... it only takes one ball, so don't shoot a million. Slow down your ROF, you only need it off the break and to cut down a runner.

Sadistik
Old 06-06-2002, 03:26 PM #7
griffith
UW Madtown Killer

That is exactly what I do

on the break I help my back players light up the other team and I take a stand up in the back and lay more paint for the front players, after a few eliminations I fill in gaps in the front while the back players stay. It allows us to get a few enemies out on the break and still be aggressive by having many front players and me who is free to move where I am needed. It is a very important position because I have a sense of the placement of the other team, but can move to a place where I can get the eliminations needed. I play all positions all at once.

University of Wisconsin paintball
http://www.badgerpaintball.net

feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post32398292
Old 06-07-2002, 09:15 PM #8
dapaintballer87

Talking whats up

Hay, you asked what is the best place to start if you are gona be the "filler" if you start from the back and fill, usually the best spot is in the center becasue usually you can fit 2 guys in it. From the center you can move to eather side also. So if 2 guys get takin out on the left you can fill left center, of vise versa. If you start from back center, you can sweet spot eather side off the brake. So look for which side is a key side for bunkers. Like if you are playing 10 man and there is a snake on the left. Most teams will send a guy to the snake off the brake or to a bunker night near the snake then move in it. And if on the right of the 50' there is just a small bunker or something less important rip on the snake try to clear that out becasue tha twil lbe a more important bunker. I dont want t orepeat anything someone else said. I hope you know what i mean,lol.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:56 PM #9
DrinkerOfMilk

if your going to need to push up as a mid half way into the game then you need to keep in mind the next bunker your going to go to. (and maybe what bunker you could get to from there) Just dont lock yourself into a nice bunker right off the break like some back players. Good for them bad for you.