PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-02-2005, 08:20 PM #1
ViperXT

DIY Volumizer for a B2K

Right now I have a B2K4 with PDS, I've replaced the stock reg with a CP reg and use a Reloader B. I'm a back man and I like to dump alot of paint. I'd like to further improve high-speed firing by installing a volumizer to reduce shootdown, which is already almost non-existant. It seems that most DIY volumizers use the gauge port. However, I'd like to keep my gauge on the ASA for now. I was thinking that I could drill and tap another hole in the ASA that points forwards (toward the muzzle of the gun).

I have access to a computer controlled lathe and am able to drill/tap for different sized threads.

I was thinking it would be cool to cut out a design out of aluminum stock about 3/4" OD using the lathe and then drilling out the center of it to provide the air storage. I'd probably make the volumizer protude about 3" from the ASA(so overall length would 3 inches plus however long the threads would be. Assuming the inside diameter of the volumizer was 1/2" would the overall volume be enough to noticeably improve performance?

Does anyone have any advice on things to watch out for and what sized threading to use? I'm leaning towards 1/4" NPT but not really sure.

Anyway, tell me any suggestions you may have, or warn me if this is just a bad idea.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 PM #2
allroz42
Womanizer

i would just make sure you have a thick enough OD so that it can handle the pressure. don't forget an oring by the threading so it will seal correctly. also make sure you have the same tolerance through the whole thing and don't have weak spots. i don't think you would notice that much of a difference but it would be hella cool to make your own. good luck with it.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:49 PM #3
ViperXT

Yeah, I wonder how thick the walls should be to hold that pressure. I mean it's only about 250psi so I don't think it would be much. Perhaps I'll use 1" stock, drill the inside to about 1/2" and that way I have alot to play with in terms of thickness. Plus that way I can afford to cut a bit deeper on the lathe to make a more interesting design.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM #4
vanquish_v12

has been a member for 10 years
something else you can try, it's been done on bushies and is fairly common on tribals. Its also what Zenitram blocks on 2003 BKO's allow you to do.

Put a volumizer on your Bushy where the LPR normally goes. A 2002/2003 BKO AKA Mitey Max is perfect. Then you can drill and tap a hole in the front of your inline ASA (use the same size hole and threads as gauges use) and screw a cocker LPR into it. Like a microrock or something. Actually, FGP's work well because you can put the air barb on the front of the LPR which is easier for this setup.

Thats the basic idea of what you're gonna be doing. Now here's all the smaller tasks you have to do to make it work.
-plug up the hole in the gun body's LPR threads that allows the LP air to enter the gun's internal LP air passage. Not totally sure what to use, probly some kind of epoxy.
-Next, you need to drill out the front of the internal air passage and thread it for a 8-32 barb so that you can connect an air hose from the air passage to the cocker LPR. Or, if you have an older Bushy that has a grub screw, simply remove that.

Here's a couple pics of what it looks like on a Tribal. Its exactly the same on a Bushy.
"Originally posted by Darryl Hadfield: Don't be silly. God doesn't make crap."
Old 02-02-2005, 11:13 PM #5
pump
I don't play pump lol

pump is a founding member
how about an LPR extender like timmys?

would be trickey to get the air passages lined up though
but i would get one or 2

Mac Dev made an Extended ASA for extra volume also
Old 02-02-2005, 11:58 PM #6
Play4therush

Play4therush is a Supporting Member
or you can do like i did with my bushy i got the vapor valve and tapped my reg outlet larger , and just use a good tank like a crossfire, and your set you'll never ever have shootdown. And do the ram mod, except for cutting the ram, just increase th diamater of the excisting holes.

57 POSITIVE FEEDBACK'S. ZERO NEGATIVE
Old 02-03-2005, 07:30 AM #7
ViperXT

The cocker LPR idea is acutally kind of cool, but I have a good deal lined up on Macdev Sonic LPR so I'd like to stick with that one.

The idea of enlarging the reg outlet sounds good though. I have the extended CP reg so I was thinking maybe I could drill out the extension(it's pretty narrow right now) and that way if I screwed up I only need to buy a new extension, not a whole new reg. The MacDev enlarged ASA sounds kind of cool, any idea where I can get it?

The main reason I'm worried about shootdown is that my current tank is an ACI Bulldog(68/3000) which doesn't have the greatest recharge, I"m evantually going to replace that tank reg with the one from my 48/3000 Crossfire soon. But I'd like to reduce to the shootdown with my slower Bulldog tank. Maybe I'll do a DIY volumizer in the ASA and also try enlarging the reg outlet.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 AM #8
goober07
i need a new avatar

has been a member for 10 years
the thickness doesnt have to be all that much- I'll measure at home but the Al pipe i use to make some volumizers was i believe 1/8 inch wall. but I'd have to measure when i get home to check (scedule 40 i think...)

I'm out of pb for a while, blowing money on cars, bigscreens and loud stereos.....
Still got my oldschool Frostbite Bushy though...