PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 PM #22
Baal3

Baal3 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I am glad to see so many people agree with me.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2005, 10:38 PM #23
hobbes01721

hobbes01721 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hobbes01721 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Yea, keeping older ideas, while not helping the players with any revolutionary products, is still a good idea. No matter what gun you shoot, there's always room for improvement on it. Take the Matrix. Very good gun, shoots very nicely, but it's a gas hog. Same with some angels (I've been told), and some other guns I've shot. Others are the other way around, use almost no air but at the same time don't work as well (Impulses, piranahas, spyders, etc.) Also, price drops are a good thing too. If companies keep competing, and nobody produces anything better, then they're going to have to cut prices, which makes me a happy camper. I'm in college, so I can't exactly drop $1000 on the newest marker, but if it were to come out for, say $500, then I might consider it more (wishful thinking)
Old 02-03-2005, 11:31 PM #24
paintballer37991
DedicationMakesGreatness

paintballer37991 is a Supporting Member
paintballer37991 is BST Legit
paintballer37991 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean@smartpartswest
Duffy will be doing some stuff. He has invented many things throughout his days at KAPP. Look at the 15 degree, the reflex frame, and countless other proto's that never made it to market. I think having lanche with system-x is going to make things interesting. We will see. Good luck boys.
yay, sean you are my hero! and yea duffy is a baller! he makes so much stuff that people dont even know about!
Old 02-04-2005, 05:37 PM #25
nativeboy

One thing is certain Josh your post resembles something you took great consideration in. Your post is not some flamming insult = to that of some grade school arguement. Nice to see schooling is doing you some good. Engish is not one of my favorites but has its place when one make a poiniant obsecation of what others perceive as copying. Cody
Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 PM #26
Odius911
George Mason Paintball

Here's another way to look at it:
They're just innovating products, they aren't inventing anything (other than accessories for other guns). They are taking other peoples ideas and building on them. Noone ever said this was necessarilly a bad thing, but they aren't original which is why people are giving System-X a hard time.

Who do we give credit to for the light bulb? Thomas Edison, but the longest light bulb he created only lit up for 17 days...but do we really give any credit to this lighting company H.G. for making a light bulb that lasts 2 years guaranteed? Not really.

We should look at the NME and go, "Wow, thank you Bob Long!" Not, "thank you System-X." Indirectly Thank NME, but Directly thank Bob Long.

The Intimidator does not run like an impulse. Different designs, they both have noids, okay...cool...but you cant characterize them because of one or two attributes.

I just think the NME is ugly, and they're trying way too hard to make it look all curvey(word?) and advanced.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:44 PM #27
Sean@smartpartswest
Living Legends May 18-20!

Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends III
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends V
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inv...ightbulb.shtml

Sorry... I am a nerd.

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.cpxsports.com
www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
Old 02-04-2005, 07:07 PM #28
Odius911
George Mason Paintball

Man, what is my school teaching me....

It's okay, I like to admit when I get pwned for something I REALLY REALLY thought was correct, heh.

And also a correction, it wasn't 17days like my teacher said, it was over 1500 hours.

Thanks to Davy, Swan, AND Edison for the light bulb.

Last edited by Odius911 : 02-04-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:00 PM #29
Baal3

I think I can characterise both the impulse and the intmidator to be close to identical. Both have a bolt connected to a hammer that hits a valve. Just like there are tons of open bolt blow back guns there are tons of single solinod electros. Some work better than others, some don't work at all. But they are all very similar. So I don't beileve people shouldn't go "thank you bob long" because he didn't invent an entirely new way for a paintball gun to function. He took an established design and improved upon it. The same as system x is trying to do.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:56 PM #30
hobbes01721

If that's the case, then people would be thanking whoever the first guy to invent paintball markers is, and honestly, I don't know that guy's name, or anything about him. All guns are an improvement off of that first design, in my opinion, because they all use a bolt to propel a ball filled with paint or oil or whatever they put in there encased in a plastic ball at things. I give props to Smartparts for the Impulse, Bud Orr for the Cocker, and Bob Long for the timmy. Credit where credit is due. After all, if you innovated...say... the calculator to...uh...read your mind (I dunno, it was the first thing I saw on my desk), would you want credit going to William Burroughs, who developed the first adding machine, or to William Oughtred for developing the slide rule? Or maybe even John Napier for developing the logarithm that all multiplication and divison problems can be solved by addition? (a*b = 10^(log(a)+log(b)) and a/b = 10^(log(a)-log(b)), just in case you cared).

God I have no life.

Here are my sources, btw, cause if college taught me one thing, it's that you get ***raped if you don't give your sources:
http://inventors.about.com/library/i...calculator.htm
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~.../Oughtred.html
http://www.hpmuseum.org/sliderul.htm
Old 02-05-2005, 11:52 AM #31
Odius911
George Mason Paintball

All paintball markers use a bolt to get the ball out of the gun, that is really the only way to get it out (other than some boltless gun that noone liked). Since the only opton is to have a bolt, then you HAVE to have a bolt.

Why would you characterize all paintballs gun as the same since they all have a bolt....they all have Triggers, and Barrels, but why would a bolt be any different than these.

Charlie Nelson invented the first paintball marker, it doesnt mean that everyone other paintball marker after it's time is just a modified Nelson/Splotchmarker, the Intimidator is, by itself, unique from toher guns.

System X instead of making a unique gun, they just copied the intimidator. That's why they're getting a hard time.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 PM #32
hobbes01721

Yes, but they're all driven by the same principle, just like in my example how the calculator was derived from the slide rule, and that, in turn, was developed by the logarithmic function that defines addition and subtraction. I say that we should give thanks to the manufacturers of each gun, such as System X for the NME, Bob Long for the Timmy, etc. I'm not arguing that that isn't a good way to think about things (going back to the inventor, not the innovator), I'm saying that some people just take it too far and credit whoever made the gun that was hot previous to the one that just came out.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:03 AM #33
Baal3

Odius I was not characterizing all the guns the same because they have a bolt. I was characterizing the timmy and the impulse as the same because they function mechanically almost identically. Yes, I understand that the nme resembles an intimidator. But it is far from a copy, if it was a copy you think the pricing would be some what similar. The intimidator is far from being unique, was one of the many points of me starting this thread. Yes bob does have a good design and quality but, original, not really. The impulse, bushy, angel (I believe the last to be the most inovative.) and other single solinoid guns function nearly identical to the intimidator. So to be ignorant and say one gun copys another is usually pretty ignorant. If some one was to say " hey that gun looks a lot like an intimidator." they would be correct but to say it is a copy is ignorant in my eyes.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:11 AM #34
worrcokr

^^^^^NICE^^^^^^

Iron like a LION in ZION
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 AM #35
pvllpbshooter

pvllpbshooter owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Personally i feel its mostly people being pissed that the NME is as good or better than the timmy and thats stock...you can ask worrcokr...my NME was sent to me all F*ed up and i was still doing better than most people on the field...and any guy who has a timmy and fires my NME always says first,"**** thats faster than my timmy" and its usually followed up with ,"how much did you pay for that?...only $900 and thats ripping like that stock..." I give system X mad props for innovating a gun that you don't have to upgrade at all and it rips out of the box...i thought about buying a timmy but everyone told me well once you buy get a new reg, and then get a new barrel and then you need this and that and i said **** that...i think we are going to see a swing away from timmies and dye markers to the less quote in quote "not popular" or "crappy companies". I have two teamates with freestyles and that marker is as fast as a dm4/5 and is quieter and they still get crap because its not a dye marker..whatever...just my $.02

Paintball aint what it used to be

0Gr3 V2.0 Beta tested
Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM #36
worrcokr

Yeah what he said............Good looking out bro, , however I think I am finally getting a little more respect , with my FS, and you with your SICK @$$ Gat

Iron like a LION in ZION
Old 02-07-2005, 05:37 PM #37
HurtZ
poke army

HurtZ is a Supporting Member
Re: My thoughts on Copying

Quote:
Originally posted by Baal3
People need to stop and think before they shout out..
it'll never happen...ever

My Feedback