PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM #1
blasdgag

blasdgag has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
blasdgag has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Reducing bruises, newbs and CQB

Do you reduce velocity in a game when players are new/young/few-pads/etc? Do you reduce velocity for CQB scenarios? I've been playing woodsball off-and-on over the years, and now have some property of my own that I play small games for fun with some relatives (6 or 8 people at a time). Some of the people who play are young, or just want to participate for the heck of it, and they don't like getting bruises (i.e. kids and ladies). I want to make sure everyone has fun and wants to keep playing!

I always chrono all the markers, around 270 fps. Also I try to give everyone as much padding and thick clothing as I can. But inevitably, people still get some welts and bruises. Also, a lot of our play ends up being CQB, less than 20 yards.

Would it be a bad idea to bring velocity down to 230 fps or something? Or even lower? And just buy better paint that breaks easier? (we mostly use rec paint, like Valken Fate/Infinity). Or would better paint hurt less? I've never bought the high end stuff.
blasdgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2017, 01:04 PM #2
cyberpyr8
Jedi Knight

cyberpyr8 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
cyberpyr8 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Depending on the gun, getting the pressure too low might not allow the gun to fire correctly. I have played at fields with a 250 fps limit and I noticed that the bruises weren't as bad (playing with a t-shirt and padded pants). It also allowed the paint to break. It was cheap paint we were using and I was worried at 250 it wasn't going to break and just leave welts but it was a good mix of low velocity but allowed the paint to break. However, I did have a large amount of bounces where I had padding.

You could try starting there or a little lower and see how it goes. Since it isn't a normal field and it's family and friends you can try it at 220 and adjust up if needed. Lower the pressure and shoot at hard targets like trees or bunkers at 30-50 feet away and see if they break. If that works then you should be fine. Be aware that at low pressure and with extra padding you may get more bounces than breaks.
First Strike Tank
Sly Profit Mask; Evil Pants and Jersey; Armagillo Dreads
cyberpyr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM #3
sborst
Lazy Pump Player

Annual Supporting Member
Just played last week at 270. A lot more bounces than normal, however we just played bounces count to ease up on the fact that the paint wasn't breaking (we were also using pretty decent paint).
sborst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:15 PM #4
Murz
2 FRAAMEEZZZ!!

plays in the NXL
Murz is attending Decay of Nations VII
Murz supports Ninja Paintball
Good quality tournament paint that is brittle will cause less pain/bruising but depending on the type of guns you are using the paint may break before it leave the barrel. Another option would be to go .50 cal. Less pain and bruising for sure, but more bounces.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 PM #5
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasdgag View Post
Do you reduce velocity in a game when players are new/young/few-pads/etc? Do you reduce velocity for CQB scenarios? I've been playing woodsball off-and-on over the years, and now have some property of my own that I play small games for fun with some relatives (6 or 8 people at a time). Some of the people who play are young, or just want to participate for the heck of it, and they don't like getting bruises (i.e. kids and ladies). I want to make sure everyone has fun and wants to keep playing!

I always chrono all the markers, around 270 fps. Also I try to give everyone as much padding and thick clothing as I can. But inevitably, people still get some welts and bruises. Also, a lot of our play ends up being CQB, less than 20 yards.

Would it be a bad idea to bring velocity down to 230 fps or something? Or even lower? And just buy better paint that breaks easier? (we mostly use rec paint, like Valken Fate/Infinity). Or would better paint hurt less? I've never bought the high end stuff.

High end brittle paint gives a nice quick thwack which feels reasonable by those that get hit.

Getting hit in the ribs/spine/groin/top-of-head/back-of-head/fingers/hands hurt the worst

Getting hit in the foot/legs/arms/shoulders/butt/neck hurt least

Getting hit in the stomach is iffy, sometimes it doesn't hurt and sometimes it hurts a lot. The stomach is a jumble of tissue of different densities I think and that's why sometimes it bounces and it's like "Oh OK, I got hit" and other times "OAAAWWW!!!"

My favorite clothing to wear is 60/40 "ripstop" pants or old Adidas sweatpants. The ripstop pants are durable while the Adidas are comfortable and allow some bounces. I've had Adidas sweatpants tear from sliding in the dirt, but otherwise it's great for sliding in dirt/leaves etc.

Beneath the clothes I wear slip-on kneepad/elbowpads for maximum slide-ability. These are only $10 at WalMart, I think they're Franklin brand.
I also advise participants to wear between-the-legs athletic protection.

My most important piece of protective equipment is a cotton hoodie. You can wear the hood so that the mask goes around it, and then to tighten up the neck area I wear a pull-thru squeegee rubber cable around the neck. The hooded portion allows paintballs to ricochet off the head and neck without leaving welts on those areas.

My favorite shoes are "indoor soccer shoes" for sliding in, but they only last about a couple of years before wearing out

Following all this advice will definitely help participants enjoy paintball comfortably and "survive hits"

Last edited by Pittsburgh Stinkbugs : 01-04-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 AM #6
blasdgag

blasdgag has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
blasdgag has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks guys, this is some great input. I think I'll play around with lowering the velocity and/or using higher end paint.

Hoodies also sound like a good idea, I hadn't really thought of that before. We mostly wear surplus army stuff, which is durable but not actually padded I guess.

We are all pretty well set up for 68 cal, so switching to 50 cal at this point would be kind of a hassle.

I really appreciate the thorough input guys! I've only been on PbN for a few months, and I'm really impressed with the community here. Thanks-a-ton!
blasdgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 AM #7
FreeEnterprise

FreeEnterprise posts videos on PbNation
neoprene makes a HUGE difference. It doesn't have to be thick neoprene either, 1/8 inch is plenty to eliminate bruises on most people. I wear neoprene neck guard, and neoprene knee pads under my pants.

I know some women who wear a wet suit top as it keeps them from bruising. (though it is hot).

Trails of Doom Stickers on Ebay!
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote