Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM #1
Mondoatx

Magfed Accuracy?

Played at my local field today and heard a couple of times that megfed guns are more accurate than hopper fed guns...

I can't imagine from a technical standpoint why/how this would be the case (admittedly I don't know anything about magfed though)...

I can see how magfed shooters may be more diligent about their aiming... since they don't have 200 rounds to go through before they have to reload...

Let me know your thoughts.

Oh, and sorry if this is in the wrong place... wasn't sure where I should put it.

Mondoatx
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2016, 07:02 PM #2
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
You're right, using the same paint there's no technical reason for a mag fed gun to be more accurate than a hopper fed gun. The ball generally doesn't care how it gets into the gun once it's flying down the barrel.

The only exception would be shaped projectiles like First Strike rounds. Their bullet shape is inherently better aerodynamically than a round ball, and they can not be fed from a hopper (no way to get them to line up properly).

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 PM #3
Ranged Picasso

Personally, first strike makes the biggest difference. But there does seem to be a slight increase in standard paint accuracy as well. My theories are as follows
1. Easier to gauge depth without a hopper in your way.
2. Springs putting pressure on the ball reduces bounce inside the breach that only mid to high end electros take into account.
3. The sights on mag fed markers are actually built to some degree of accuracy, instead of the loose ones slapped onto 98s.
4. Lot of mag feds put effort into their stocks and weight a bit, reducing sway and the adrenaline jitters.
5. Lot of mag feds have new mechanical bolts like blow forward instead of blow back, and as such have some improvements over older 98s and A-5s like newer tournoment spools have over ones made 15 years ago.
6. Phycological. The rifle like shape causes people to aim like a marksman, instead of like a stormtrooper with the tournoment markers / space blasters. Basically you try and make your first shot hit with a mag instead of firing a shot and then walking the rope of paint twords the target.

Not in any paticular order, and are just theories, haven't actually tested them and don't intend to. Just material for conversation.

Last edited by Ranged Picasso : 10-02-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Ranged Picasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:38 PM #4
Ranged Picasso

For the record, I use a gtek and a dye DAM. I think the Gtek has better shot consistency but things like stabilizing stock, sight to gauge straigtness, and the shear mass make the DAM more accuret in game. I also tend to walk my shots with the Gtek instead of aiming first then shooting like I do with the DAM. Eliminations per case of paint I think is higher with the DAM, but I don't get as many eliminations per day as I do with the Gtek.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ranged Picasso : 10-02-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:54 PM #5
Mondoatx

Ranged Picasso,

So you are saying your accuracy is higher with the DAM (Magfed) but that you shoot more with the gtek (accounting for the increase in eliminations)?

Am I getting that right?

Thanks.

Mondoatx
Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 PM #6
Mondoatx

Ranged Picasso,

So you are saying your accuracy is higher with the DAM (Magfed) but that you shoot more with the gtek (accounting for the increase in eliminations)?

Am I getting that right?

Thanks.

Mondoatx
Old 10-02-2016, 09:01 PM #7
Ranged Picasso

Yep. I can only go through about 200 paintballs at the most a game, but usually around 60, with the DAM, unless I use hopper. I get one to two eliminations per game where I am not shot out at the start. With the Gtek, I use around 400-500 on average and eliminate 4 players if not eliminated early on. How I play I usually rush to position and lock a lane down for most of the game and slowly move up in the last third of the game or I get shot moving to position or go up against someone clearly better then me competing for the same lane.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 PM #8
Ranged Picasso

But remember, the DAM is the only pure electropneumatic mag fed out there. All but the mkpii hurricane are pure mechanical. This means even though the mechanical mag feds have surprisingly good velocity consistency ( like 5 fps, not as bad as the 10 with older mechanicals) they still have high impulse and cannot use softer tournoment paint at range. So with most mag feds, you can hit the target, but that doesn't mean it's an elimination. The DAM is the only mag fed I have had steady eliminations with after moding with ultra soft Springs and using tournoment grade paint or standard Springs and first strikes. The TiPX, mkpii, have had just a few and a year of a Tiberius T9.1 literally produced no eliminations I can confidently say we're mine. All tournoments from the XVR, to the etek 5, to the Gtek produce that 4 eliminations regularly, but the Gtek has the best elimination per paint ratio. With the XVR it was like 300 per elimination.

Last edited by Ranged Picasso : 10-02-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM #9
Ranged Picasso

Note, with pumps I get about 1 a game, but don't seem to get eliminated at the start as often as I do with tournoment or mag fed. Think I just get more careful. Accuracy with a pump is about 1 elimination per 150 paintballs (yes I suck at pump, I get it)

Last edited by Ranged Picasso : 10-02-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 PM #10
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
There's an old saying, paraphrased for paintball use...

It's not the paintball with your name on it you need to worry about, it's 200 others marked "to whom it may concern".

Alternately, "I have a paintball with your name on it... and I'll keep walking the trigger until I find it".

Accuracy by volume tends to, well, work. The down side, cost. I sure can't afford to hose down a field with money to get eliminations so I dig out the mag fed guns and pumps to save a little cash. It's more challenging, but that makes the few eliminations you do get seem all the sweeter.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:25 PM #11
Ranged Picasso

And the weight from carrying all the paint. Two biggest reasons why I am learning to love mag fed is 1. The cost and 2. The weight. It's still bulky but that weight reduction just helps make the day a little bit better.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:30 PM #12
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
Not always the case. Try lugging a half dozen old style T8 mags around for a day. Half the weight of that gun is in the magazine.

And there's a trick to completely eliminate the weight of carrying extra paint when using a hopper fed gun... don't carry any extra paint. Last time I was at the field I never podded up once. There's something extra special about getting the flag pull and running it back on the woods field with 6 balls left in the hopper.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 PM #13
Ranged Picasso

Once I used an air remote, a 50 count hopper, and some 100 count pods with the XVR. Was really odd shooting a feather at folks.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:14 PM #14
Ranged Picasso

By the way, if you are looking into mag fed, my recommendations are to buy a TiPX and use it as a sidearm at first, playing with it when you got nothing to loose. As you get use to it, start carrying fewer pods and carry more mags. There are adaptors for zeta mags for every mag fed, Nova tactical designs makes a good number of them, so the mags will carry over if you want to change to another mag fed. Other then tippmann and spyder, the rest of the mag feds have a learning curve to them. Avoid older products like milsig k series, dmags, rap 468 and t68, and the full DAM, way too many issues. Go with DAM CQB and scale up as much you like (cheaper and most already have the second generation bolt and board on them), milsig m17 series, tiberius t15 (iffy though with the rust issue though), tacamo products with helix or zeta mags. TGR2 is a wildcard, either love it's reliability once broken in and adjusted or hate it's long break in period with the detents and awkward velocity adjustment system (you take a spring and cut to size to adjust velocity, they give you a pack of the springs with the marker. It's not easy but it gives it fewer parts to leak air). Tippmann 98 with mag fed kit is a surprisingly good build, once saw a beginner to paintball hold off 3 semi pros with one once, though no first strike option so pointless to bring to a big game.

Or just put a spring feed on what you have right now. Cheap and mostly the same.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:24 PM #15
Ranged Picasso

Actually, hammer 7. Just $60, surprisingly good once you put the autococker to spyder adaptor and dye UL barrel on, and gets you into both mag fed and pump only events. Strangely addictive, everytime I pull it out folks want to barrow it, guess it's the whole David on a field of Goliths that's the big draw. Only marker I recomend with no hesitation.

And for just the cost of a box of paint, you can try mag fed and pump for yourself.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:37 PM #16
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
Not mag feed but I feel like I get much better shots playing pump then I do with my axe. But I'm starting to think I don't like single tube guns.

Ion/Gear for sale!/spyders
aclark364 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:17 AM #17
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
Just to add my $0.02 on this and using the same platform in regards to accuracy.

I find that if I have a big difference in how much I care where my first shot lands depending the setup. On my more modular platform that I use most often (X7 Phenom) I can play with a standard 200rnd hopper or 50 round tac cap, mechanical or electronic, and with full pods or no extra paint. If I wanted as well I could throw on the MKPII kit too, but still not a fan of the bulk of the mags.

If I am playing with higher volume I know that I can just start shooting and not care where my first shots land. However If I am using low capacity setups my play style is slightly altered replacing weight with mobility and volume with precision. I am more inclined to lay into the trigger with higher capacity but be more precise with my shots and only shoot in small bursts with low capacity.

My eliminations per game are usually about the same either way. my loadout does not effect how well I will play but changes in the manner that I play. I also find how I play the field differs depending on my loadout as well. If I play high cap I tend to be moderately aggressive and take major focal points and structures. If I play low cap I am highly aggressive and am more likely to pop up shoot a couple shots and move to another position.

In short, with me there are different habits with different setups. Mentally knowing I am only carrying 50-100 rounds vs 500-1000+ rounds will usually alter how I play. Some people excel or just outright prefer different setups, I like standard capacity with regular gameplay but like to change it up every now and then, it helps to break up the monotony of doing the same thing over and over.

Pump for me is just like low cap paintball, but I am lighter and move faster. I tend to be stupidly aggressive and like to try and get on the other teams side of the field on the break. Why? Because its fun I still get the same amount of eliminations but again slightly altered play style.

Last edited by paintzapper : 10-03-2016 at 08:25 AM.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:15 PM #18
Sam Celestino

Sam Celestino owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Sam Celestino has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You'd be correct to say that it is possible that simple trigger discipline and ammunition awareness would have an affect on a player's accuracy. There is no basis for a discrepancy in accuracy over a hopper-fed circular paintball and a magazine-fed circular paintball since they are still fired the same way by the marker system.
Sam Celestino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM #19
Ranged Picasso

Well, remember most mag fed markers are set up in bodies that emphasise accuracy over movement. If you put a gtek in a DAM body, I'd bet it would out preform any mag fed on the market today in terms of accuracy
Old 10-03-2016, 07:18 PM #20
paintzapper
Haven fun yet?

paintzapper supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranged Picasso View Post
Well, remember most mag fed markers are set up in bodies that emphasise accuracy over movement. If you put a gtek in a DAM body, I'd bet it would out preform any mag fed on the market today in terms of accuracy
Even if it did I doubt the difference would be noticeable between the Gtek and the DAM, or even a Milsig with the Heat core. If using the same barrel and perfect paint the only variance would come from marker output consistency and possibly dwell time/output pressure (I doubt it but it would possible depend on if the barrel was too short). The biggest and only real noticeable difference I have experienced would be between an unregulated blowback like a basic Spyder vs a regulated blowback like something from Dye or PE.

Not trying to discredit ya, but just giving my perspective on things.

Last edited by paintzapper : 10-03-2016 at 07:56 PM.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM #21
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Annual Supporting Member
Fubarius is a Moderator
I actually find the stereotypical mag fed layout (mil-sim with a top mounted AR style stock) to be quite a bit less accurate for me to use than a more traditional paintball gun layout (bottom-line tank used as a stock). Mostly due to our masks.

When shoot my real steel rifles my eye lines up in-line with the barrel with my cheek against the stock. What I see with my eye is the same as where the barrel points. With a top stocked paintball gun I can't get my head down low when I'm wearing a full face mask. Look at my avatar, that's me using a very old school back bottle paintball gun, similar in feel to a AR style stock setup, and my eye is like 8 inches above the sight line. Fun to use, but my first shoot accuracy sucked.

Now look at paintzapper's avatar. Barrel in-line with his right eye, mask behind the gun. How most of my other guns are setup. Gun literally shoots where you are looking.

This is why my current mag fed build does NOT have a rear stock. Good old bottom-line tank setup.