Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-10-2002, 11:01 AM #1
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

has been a member for 10 years
Milling a Black Dragun- possible?

In the future, I hope to get my BD milled and anodized (maybe hardcoated or powder coated instead). Nevertheless, I have some concerns about milling. The body does not seem to have a whole lot of room for it. I do see some room on the top of the marker (where a sight rail would go) where milling could easily be done. On the sides of the marker though, there seems to be little, if any, space for milling. It seems that any milling to the marker body (sides) would make the guns structure flimsy and prone to breaking. Does anyone here have experience with milling? Do you think it would be possible to nicely mill the BD? Or is it too much of a risk to try?

Thx!
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2002, 11:44 AM #2
MilesDyson

The E-2 seems to have enough meat on it to mill. Remember, most of the rear half of the marker is unnecessary anyway. Small gills would be okay for the rest of it.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 PM #3
pbking

Definately possible.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:39 PM #4
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Miles

What rear portion is not needed?
I can't imagine the lower rear portion not being needed. Maybe all of the top rear portion isn't needed (ie. the chamber where the bolt action occurs)?

Also, do you have any examples of the gills you referred to?

Thanks!
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-10-2002, 03:02 PM #5
time2kil
futbol ftw

The top part of the back portion, where the bolt is, is not needed. Now i mean the BACK part of the top. You will need to make sure you don't go up too far to the front of the marker, if you are milling deeply. I have a spyder that doesn't have the top back part of the gun, it shows the entire back of the bolt when cocked all the way up to about 1/2 inch to the back o-ring on the bolt.

If you know what you are doing, and understand where the air goes throughout the gun you should be able to do some nice milling/cutting/carving on the gun..heh
Old 04-10-2002, 03:54 PM #6
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Would you happen to have a picture of that milled Spyder?

Thanks!

Keep the milling info comming
Old 04-10-2002, 04:20 PM #7
MilesDyson

Well, as long as you leave your velocity adjuster firmly in place with good support, you can take off a lot of the lower chamber.

The only thing you have to look at is where the striker o-ring is when the gun is cocked. About a half an inch behind this, you can begin cutting. Leave the velocity adjuster in and make sure to keep the threads for the grip frame screws in tact. A lot of material on blowback guns is useless.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:13 PM #8
bob
Banned

www.g3pb.com
www.whitewolfairsmithing.com

Both these web sites have pics of milling. Any airsmith web site should have at least one or two milled blowbacks. I think whitewolf has a pic of a blow back with the missing back of the top tube.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:42 PM #9
Nerobro

Nerobro is a Supporting Member
You can mill away most of the gun. Leaving the bolt, hammer and just about everything but the valve chamber exposed if you wanted to... You can do a lot to these guns because so little contains air under pressure. any spyder milling will work on the gun. check out www.g3pb.com

Omnipotence ain't all it's cracked up to be.......
Old 04-10-2002, 07:11 PM #10
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

Actually, most Spyder like guns have a lot of dead weight in the back. You can mill off some between the striker and the velocity adjuster (just repeating what everyone else said, obviously), and you can mill off some near the back of the bolt. The reason is, no gas enters these parts of the gun, so you can mill straight into the body. Here's a good example from G3PB:
Old 04-10-2002, 07:13 PM #11
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

Here's a good example of what you can do in the bolt area (you could actually do much more than this if you wanted to):
Old 04-11-2002, 06:11 PM #12
devildog4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Would it be possible to twist one out like a bps twister? I know they won't do it though because in the process they loose some bodies. Anyone know who could complete this task?
N2 ExTrEmE 5man Nepl, Pnl
Old 04-11-2002, 07:50 PM #13
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

I doubt you could do that milling effectivly. You could probably do the swirly/twisty design on the gun (it would have to be very shallow though), but you wouldn't be able to mill out the gap between the top and bottom tubes of the body. It might be possible, but it would be extremely hard to do without makin gthe gun much too fragile.