PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-16-2001, 05:41 PM #1
oldyellr7
Psycho by Nature

has been a member for 10 years
I'm counting the seconds down to playing paintball, i and was wondering @ what tempurate does co2 stay in gas form without the help of equipment. Ex. Expansion chamber,ant-siphon tube, etc.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2001, 05:45 PM #2
urbunkered (Banned)

as far as i know it wont turn to liquid co2 till u get down cold i think like around 32 degrees
Old 03-16-2001, 07:23 PM #3
Budha
Paint Slüt

most of the co2 in your tank is in the liquid form. You need expansion chambers etc to make the liquid expand so your gun shoots properly. Um, if it gets below 32, you will have problems keeping your gun from freezing. Due to most of the liquid basically freezing.

"Another innocent victim of APG...."

"I need a self esteem boost.... I think I'll go play walkon!"

Cocker World New to cockers? Want to learn about them? Click the link.
Old 03-17-2001, 04:46 PM #4
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Cool

Ok CO2 doesn't exsist in a liqiud form in normal atmosphearic presures. When you drop the temperature of CO2 it goes from a gas to a solid, if I remember right, but it takes a very cold temperature to do that. Solid CO2 is also know as Dry Ice. What you have to do is compress it to get it into a liquid form. That is how it is stored in your bottle, as a liquid under pressure. Now on your average day, in your aveage gun, what happens is that as the CO2 leaves the bottle it does what is called flash over. This means it changes from a liquid to a gas. It takes energy to do this so it sucks the heat out of the ajoining parts, this is why you bottle gets cold. (basic refrigeration concept) Ok now, as the outdoor temperature gets colder there is less heat to suck so the CO2 stays liquid longer. Eventually there is a point to were the liquid doesn't change into gas until it is in the gun and that is when bad things can happen. On colder days when using CO2 you want to put more distance between your tank and the gun so that the liquid CO2 doesn't get into it. There are three ways to do this the first two you have mentioned, Expansion Chamber and Anti-syphon tube. The third is a remote system. The remote system is going out of style with some players and since you didn't bring it up I won't talk about it. What an expansion chamber does is as the liquid travels towards your gun it enters the expansion chamber. This is basicly a big opening. This gives the CO2 room to expand an to change into a gas. You also got what is called an anti-syphon tube. This is a little copper tube, put on the valve, into the bottle so that when the bottle is mounted on a bottom line or a drop foward the opening of the tube is at the top most part of the bottle. The reason for this is that the bottle is not full completely of liquid CO2. There is a part of the bottle that is gas CO2. Being that gasses are lighter than liquids the gas is at the highest point of the bottle.

I hope this gives you an idea of how CO2 works.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 03-21-2001, 04:38 PM #5
lucky13
Sean MCduff

yeah what he said my cocker has problems when it gets around 45
Old 03-21-2001, 05:52 PM #6
Predator
10+

Predator is a Supporting Member
Predator is a founding member
Predator has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally posted by Vagabond Soldier
Ok CO2 doesn't exsist in a liqiud form in normal atmosphearic presures. When you drop the temperature of CO2 it goes from a gas to a solid, if I remember right, but it takes a very cold temperature to do that. Solid CO2 is also know as Dry Ice. What you have to do is compress it to get it into a liquid form. That is how it is stored in your bottle, as a liquid under pressure. Now on your average day, in your aveage gun, what happens is that as the CO2 leaves the bottle it does what is called flash over. This means it changes from a liquid to a gas. It takes energy to do this so it sucks the heat out of the ajoining parts, this is why you bottle gets cold. (basic refrigeration concept) Ok now, as the outdoor temperature gets colder there is less heat to suck so the CO2 stays liquid longer. Eventually there is a point to were the liquid doesn't change into gas until it is in the gun and that is when bad things can happen. On colder days when using CO2 you want to put more distance between your tank and the gun so that the liquid CO2 doesn't get into it. There are three ways to do this the first two you have mentioned, Expansion Chamber and Anti-syphon tube. The third is a remote system. The remote system is going out of style with some players and since you didn't bring it up I won't talk about it. What an expansion chamber does is as the liquid travels towards your gun it enters the expansion chamber. This is basicly a big opening. This gives the CO2 room to expand an to change into a gas. You also got what is called an anti-syphon tube. This is a little copper tube, put on the valve, into the bottle so that when the bottle is mounted on a bottom line or a drop foward the opening of the tube is at the top most part of the bottle. The reason for this is that the bottle is not full completely of liquid CO2. There is a part of the bottle that is gas CO2. Being that gasses are lighter than liquids the gas is at the highest point of the bottle.

I hope this gives you an idea of how CO2 works.
someone paid attention in science class!!!

if u have a expantion chamber u wont have to worry, and CO2 works at pretty much any temp, i have played in below freezing weather and didnt have trouble.
Old 03-22-2001, 02:06 AM #7
dc_

Exclamation nice chart

this should help:
from www.warpig.com technical area
Old 03-22-2001, 01:44 PM #8
Vagabond Soldier
Esh

Vagabond Soldier is a Supporting Member
Cool

Well there you go. A chart to show you all.

Hey Predator what kind of gun do you got and do you have an expansion chamber or reg on it? Some guns can work on liquid CO2 while others have built in methods of blocking CO2. I know when I first got my cocker in 95 it wouldn't take CO2 after a certain point because the liquid would get into the phenumatics. I got a Stab on it now had have had no problems with CO2 when I use it on CO2.

ESSAYONS

"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said 'Here I am, send me.'" Isaiah 6:8
Old 04-20-2001, 12:35 AM #9
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Talking

i think beyond a certain temp it goes to liquid i dont hink it ever goes to a solid i believe water is one of the only ones that can change from gas to liquid to solid. but co2 is shipped around and stored in its liquid phase.

when you get it into your tank it is partly in liquid phase and gas phase (thats why you need a anti siphon tank so you donnt get liquid co2 in your tank also why it is almost nessesary to have a exp. x chamber if you want the most efficiany) now when it heats up outside the liquid in the tank goes to gas which in turm increases your presure which is why you have those pressure spikes and chrono spikes also why you may have to cut your main spring so your valve doesn't stay open for as long. yet? ok so safe temp you shouldn't have to worry about that unless your worrying about buying burst disks. but you shoud be safe the tank you use has a safety feature on it known as a burst disk. when outsude temps rise and your co2 in your tank turns into gas the pressure rises increasing the chances of your tank exploding. well the predsesores of co2 tank design bult something called a burst disk. it is a little copper disk that is design to relieve the pressure of the tank once it gets to a certain preassure. a pressure in which it becomes unsafe to use that tank. what will happen is a co2 cloud will come out of the crease between the valve and the tank after that it will get a whole crap load of frost (DONT TOUCH IT YOU COULD GET FROSTBITE) it is extremely cold pick it up with towel and bring it to your local shop and have them replace the burst disk. but you will not be able to use the tank until the burst disk gets replaced.

to prevent this dont leave your tank and gun out in direct sunlight. keep it under a towel or shirt. also try not to keep it un your gun (pressurized) because the micro or macro line you use has a lower opperating ppressure than the tank so it will blow sending you tank and gun to the ground. other than that i think thats about it reply back if you have any questions.

but i just read what you asked and i just wrote this for nothing

i guess i just informed you on tank safety lucky you huh?

uGh back to my little hole
Old 04-20-2001, 01:16 AM #10
dc_

Quote:
Originally posted by thumper_rush
i think beyond a certain temp it goes to liquid i dont hink it ever goes to a solid i believe water is one of the only ones that can change from gas to liquid to solid

I've had about an eight of an inch of it the size of a dime frozen to my palm. I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, until I peeled it off and it pulled my skin with it. That was a long, long time ago, before I knew anything about co2.
Dry ice is co2 in it's solid state.
Old 04-20-2001, 01:55 AM #11
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
Talking

ouch thanks for makin me right i wasnt sure about that...

but everything else is correct right?
Old 04-20-2001, 03:47 AM #12
dc_

yeah, pretty much

key temp is around 85 degrees. If it is around that, PTI says to drop the fill a couple %-ie fill a 12oz tank no more than 10oz. If you kids out there want to save money on burst disks in the summer, either make sure you keep your tank out of the sun, or ask your fill station operator not to fill it all the way(if they don't know any better).
Old 04-26-2001, 08:23 PM #13
xoniceguyox

co2 is the bastard gas/liquid of the devil

www.f4pg.com