Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-07-2002, 01:07 PM #1
mr_pollock
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
Black Dragun Compact?

Okay.. I've been lookin at the Black Dragun Compact, and www.paintballgateway.com says that they have a different frame. Different from the Standard Black Dragun, being that it is composite, and not aluminum.

Would there be any difference in how long the thing would last as compared to an aluminum frame?

I've already got a Spyder that I've made LP, and I wanted a new frame for it. For 82 bucks I thought I'd just get another gun and I'd put my stuff on it, the Black Dragun Compact. Anyone see any problems with doin that?

Stuff is a Palmer's Stab, 32 degrees Turbo Valve, different Madman Springs, C.P. 14", N.W. Products 8" Spoon Drop Forward, 88/4500 Crossfire...

I know if I get the Compact, I'll have to get that adapter block for 7 bucks, that's fine, and I also wanted to get the Sweet Spot Trigger - Stick, would that work on the Composite frame?
Is the Composite frame going to wear down or suck?

Ahh! Okay that's all the questioning for now...
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2002, 07:14 PM #2
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

mr_pollock
Quote:
Okay.. I've been lookin at the Black Dragun Compact, and www.paintballgateway.com says that they have a different frame. Different from the Standard Black Dragun, being that it is composite, and not aluminum.

Would there be any difference in how long the thing would last as compared to an aluminum frame?

I've already got a Spyder that I've made LP, and I wanted a new frame for it. For 82 bucks I thought I'd just get another gun and I'd put my stuff on it, the Black Dragun Compact. Anyone see any problems with doin that?
I can only address the first half of questions, because I don't know the answers to the rest.

There can definately be a difference on how long the composite frame will last. I have never seen an aluminum frame break. Composites, now that's another story. My friend's STO cocker had a composite frame and the darn thing broke in half about 3 weeks ago when we last played together. Once again this past week at the field I saw another composite frame on a cocker with some serious damage on it being worked on. That said, those composite frames are clearly not as strong/tough as the aluminum frames. I do think, however, that if you are careful with it (not overly so, but more cautious than with an aluminum frame) there shouldn't be any problems with your frame. Just always keep in mind that your frame is not indestructible. And try not to hit it against hard bunkers! (ie. on the speedball field)

Personally, I would keep the Spyder body, gut its internals (except for aftermarket parts you put in it to go LP), take off the frame, and replace it with the BD frame. That's just personal taste though (I don't care too much for the compacts appearance. If you do choose to go the other route though, you shouldn't have any problems just switching the parts over from your Spyder to the BD compact. And yes, it would make a hell of a marker for $82!

Also, if I were you, rather than buy the adapter block, I would drill and tap my trigger frame so that it supports inline drops. It's just as permanent an option as the adapter block, plus it doesn't have that silly block under the trigger frame.

Your composite frame should not wear down, and it will not suck. Just make sure to take care of it, that's all.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-07-2002, 07:17 PM #3
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Also, Paintballgateway does have the Sweet Spot Trigger (standard, not stick) as an upgrade option for the BD Compact. If the Sweet Spot trigger fits the compact (and we know that the Sweet Spot does fit the other BDs), then the stick trigger should also fit both without a problem.

I would call Paintballgateway to be sure though.
(714) 547-1501
M-F (12-6PM Pacific)
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-07-2002, 08:01 PM #4
speedguns

Mr. Pollack,

The black dragun compacts do have a composite frame (plastic). I dont see any foreable diffrence as far as breakage so far (Only the test of time will tell). It is built much thicker than the WGP composite frames. It is definately not as strong as an aluminum frame tho. The sweet spot trigger - stick would and does work almost identically as it would work on any other BD frame. No wear issues there. I also do not thing it would suck. LOL

Abra,

Drilling and tapping the aluminum frame is awesome but not on the composite frames. The material is not as strong and there is less of it. The reason I believe (Dont take my word for it) M3 made the holes for the bottomlines so far apart is for stuctural integrity. The closer you have those holes, the more leverage.

BTW the triggers work with every BD out there so far.

Good Luck

Speed
Old 04-08-2002, 01:20 AM #5
mr_pollock
Banned

Which gun comes with the Aluminum frame???? My friend just bought the Black Dragun, the Standard one for $160, and he says that the frame on it is composite... I don't want composite.. Do they have a gun that has the Aluminum one or is it just something you have to buy separately? Thanks for the info guys.
Old 04-08-2002, 07:12 AM #6
Ridge Boy
Gun Tech

I spoke to a rep at M3 & he told me that the composite is tough & is backed by the same 1 year warrenty as the rest of the Dragon line. With that said, I ordered six of them for the store. When they came in, I looked them over really good and was very impressed. I just had to install a battery and gas one up. Wow! I've shot the standard Black Dragon before but the compact has a better sweet spot. You can just touch the trigger lightly & get a 5 shot burst or full auto. All & all it's a great gun at an amazing price.
Making Paintball Affordable Since 1998....
www.hpsperformance.com

Proud supporter of Owensboropaintball.com and all paintball players....
Old 04-08-2002, 10:19 AM #7
time2kil
futbol ftw

Ridge Boy- that is just what i wanted to hear. Now where is the damn ups guy....
Old 04-08-2002, 11:41 AM #8
pbking

$160 and he got a composite frame?? I dunno about that. The only one that i know of with a composite frame are the compacts which run around $83.