Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-05-2002, 07:40 PM #1
Voodoo

has been a member for 10 years
LP Help

Ok all you LP freaks.

I definitely like the feel of the soft main spring (32* spring kit), and have set the valve spring to soft as well. Bob was right, definitely less kick with the softer spring. No question about it.

What modifications must I make to bring the existing set-up to a modest 280fps@500psi? (keeping the soft spring main mind you).

Think this can be done?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2002, 10:21 PM #2
Twisted Angel
Awaiting Email Confirmation

ok, get the 32* turbo valve and pin set, Bob L. LPC, and a good reg. + ASA that will do it maybe a good light bolt like the N-bolt would REALLY help too.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:25 PM #3
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

I'm running around 270fps @ 450psi w/ the lightest main spring and lightest valve spring (velocity adjuster is about 2/3 out).
Here are the parts that do the job:
Swancreek Nbolt
Macdev Gladiator
Bob Long Vertical Adapter and Volumizer
TASO Turbo valve w/ stock valve pin
Equation USA MS Pro Barrel (important thing here is just any barrel that is unported for the first 6-8")

Think that's about all you need to run LP. If I missed anything, it's in my sig
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-06-2002, 01:05 AM #4
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

VD, It'd be very helpful to know where you are at *now*. Are you still just running 800psi? And you're not hot?

T&A (sorry dude, I just nicknamed you and I can't help myself!) and abra just nailed it if you absolutely insist on the pain and agaony of LP: get a high flow VA and valve, a good reg (vigi, glad, torpedo), and a good bolt (n-bolt, etc.) and start gettin' FUNKY!
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-07-2002, 03:00 PM #5
Voodoo

I'm currently running 280fps@750psi with the stiff spring, and 230fps@750psi with the soft spring. I attempted to adjust the stock reg by turning the side allen bolt, and it did absolutely nothing. I had the allen bolt sticking almost 1cm out of the reg and the pressure remained 750psi. (and yes I fired 20 shots after each adjustment). I then screwed it all the way in, to about .5cm INTO the reg, STILL 750psi. I think my reg is screwed. If I open the reg up, what should I look for?

Also, can I "GUT" it somehow in order to use it as an ASA?
Old 04-08-2002, 05:27 PM #6
cohiba

Unfortunately, even to hit the modest 500psi mark, you will have to get the stuff I mentioned above. The only thing other than the spring to propel the ball is the air, and you are not getting enough air even at 750psi to keep your velocity up. A high flow reg, VA, and bolt are must haves if you wanna keep going.

My stock reg didn't really seem to work as a reg either. I've never taken it apart, so I'm not sure how guttable it is. Maybe I'll try to do that one of these days.
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-08-2002, 06:58 PM #7
Voodoo

Well, I took the reg apart. Interesting. Just cleaned it up and took out a tiny damaged plastic disc, about 2mm diameter. Now it works, and when you take the tank off, it free-flows all the air left in the gun instead of me having to shoot it out when I take the tank out. I kinda like it.

Ok, now SwanCreek looks like they are out of business, so what's the next best bolt? The PaintBallSniperSupplies one? Or should I get a different one?

Also, which reg to get...i've heard Palmer's is the best for CO2, which I am running now and works for all pressures, or I've heard good things about the Gladiator too, and I wouldn't have to redo the hoses for that one, right? (since it is bottom fed). But the Gladiator says it's only good under 500psi, what if I can't make that pressure?

One more thing, (god I'm such a mooch), what exactly is a VA? Why is it important for air flow?

And before I finally screw my gun up for good, please tell me that if nothing else, my gun will be a little quieter and have a softer kick if I commit to all this nonsense. Even eternal pessimist Nerobro seemed to admit that about LP. I just want a comfy gun that doesn't feel and sound like it's ripping itself apart from the inside-out.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:29 PM #8
mr_pollock
Banned

The Palmer's Stab is great for C02 and Nitro/Compressed Air. It's just a wee bit expensive... There is the Bob Long Torpedo, which looks very sleek, and it performs just as well as the Palmer's Stab, hence it has the same design (internal) as the Palmer's Stab. The Torpedo is also cheaper, by $20-30.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:10 AM #9
cohiba

VD, SwanCreek is "out of business? Since when? Am I that out of touch? Their web site still looks up and functional. They have a note saying that they are moving servers, but that's quite different. Please elaborate! If they are, then I would probably lean towards one of those new bolts from Sniper Works or maybe the new bolt that gap (SA Paintball) is coming out with.

Yeah, the glad might not be the most versatile choice. I personally would choose either the vigilante or torpedo.

"VA" stands for Vertical Adapter. It is the contraption that your vertical regulator (glad, stab, whatever) screws into. Your LPC (or volumizer--the little tube that sticks out under your barrel) also screws into the side of the VA. The other side of the VA slides into the body of the marker. That is the VA.

It is important for LP because most VA's have relatively small air passages--the bane of low pressure/high volume applications.

If you do it the more expensive way (by buying replacement parts instead of modifying the ones you have), you can always go back to stock, so there doesn't have to be any real danger of "screwing up your gun"--unless you want there to be.

But yeah, it should be quieter and kick less. Enough to be worth the trouble is something only you can decide.

Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-09-2002, 12:50 PM #10
Voodoo

You guys rock!

The torpedo looks like a really good choice, going to try to pick one up today.

Okay, so if I want to tamper with my existing stock VA, how do I make it 'high-flow'?
Old 04-09-2002, 04:04 PM #11
cohiba

You have to drill out the holes. However, the stock VA is not really setup for high flow. For example, the screw hole goes up so far that you can only bore out the valve-side hole to about 3/16". Any more than that and you will cut through to the screw hole. You can drill out a little on the sides (like I did--I could take a pic if you want), but it is a pain!

This is seriously one part that I would recommend just buying an aftermarket replacement. The 32* high-flow VA (often sold with the Bob Long Volumizer, and only $25 for both at countypaintball) works great--much better than you will get your stock one working. They also look pretty cool, imo.

Good choice on the Torpedo.

Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-09-2002, 07:42 PM #12
Voodoo

Okay, tried four different paintball stores and no one had the torpedo reg, so I ordered it from County Paintball. They seem to have a decent site, and I like the fact that they respond to dumb questions in the review section. It shows they care.

Also ordered the LPC/VA combo Cohiba suggested. For 25 bucks i'll pass on the drilling. Also picked up a turbo valve, so we'll see what happens.

A guy at the shop let me dry fire his "baby", an AKA Excalibur, that thing is a monster! Holy crap.