PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 PM #1
desktopjockey

has been a member for 10 years
Thumbs up M3 Black Dragun Sniper

I've been following the Black Dragun since Paintball Inc. came out with the P1. After researching all angles and reading reviews on the P1 I was set on getting one. I hadn't heard a review below 9 yet. My father opened my eyes to a company that was offering the Dragun several different ways and said I should check them out. I had heard of the E2 release from Paintball Inc. but here was a company, http://www.M3paintball.com, that allowed me the option of getting what I wanted the way I wanted it from the start. I decided on the M3 Sniper. That was a beautiful choice.

Being used to Tippmann 98s and entering the game with stingrays, I had never thought of entering the electronic scene because of the $600 entry range for electronics. I was delivering every bit as good a spread with my 98 Custom response trigger as the automatic burst settings on the electronic markers. Enter the Black Dragun.

At first look, its sleek sides and thick barrel are intimidating enough. The neon green "Sniper" logo on the side contrasting the jet black and chrome body is a great touch, like the eye of the dragon. But looks are just the beginning.

The M3 Sniper sports the M92 electronic grip frame standard. Offering modes from "semi" auto, "multi" round burst, "nitro" shot speed enhancement, and the all popular full "auto" mode, the dragun can range from 1 to 20 balls per second. The hard part here is finding a hopper that will feed the beast wide open. Both Nitrous and CO2 are useable on the M3, with the included high pressure regulator, expansion valve, and low pressure chamber providing an extremely reliable and constant air supply no matter the rate of fire. The 12 inch barrel is nicely finished both outside and inside with the last inch or two ported with rows of generous gas vents. This barrel is comparable to the ones provided standard with all the new Tippmann 98 Customs. Excellent for a starter setup, and reliable.

Firing the M3 Sniper proved to be an exhilirating experience as well. I used a ViewLoader Revolution 12volt electronic hopper, and a Crossfire 4500psi 68ci Nitrous tank. Ammunition was Powder Blue/Silver shell with Powder Blue fill PowerBalls from Paintball Inc. I started with the semi auto setting and was extremely pleased with the accuracy and consistency of the marker. At 25 yards, I was able to place 20 balls on top of each other with ease. At 50 yards, I was able to keep them within a 5" diameter circle. Impressive to me. On the multi mode I set the spread to 5 shots per pull and fired four rounds without a break. I upped the anty to 10 balls a pull and still no break. Full auto mode was great as well, as I increased the shot rate to 15 balls per second before I finally broke a ball in the barrel.

Strip down is a breeze with a single clipped pull pin. But be careful and hold the back of the gun to keep the hammer and bolt from "bolting" out of the gun when you pull out the pin. This is empirical experience talking here. However, if you've worked with a Spyder, you'll know exactly how the pieces fit back together.

I'm no professional reviewer of paintball equipment, but I tried to test this gun as much as possible out of the box. If you're like me, you'd like to spend a handfull of change and be able to walk with heads up onto the field. The M3 Sniper rings in at $268, and the Crossfire tank is another cool $200. With a decent hopper you're loking at an easy $500, BUT it's a gun you can rely on in the field or in the woods. I went all out with my setup, but if you are short on change, check out the other setups either Paintballinc.com or M3paintball.com has to offer. Their baseline electronic marker comes in at under $200 and is just as reliable as the one I talk about here. Then you can upgrade all the little beefy items later when the wallet can take the hit.

In short, this is a gun not to be taken lightly. It's a devil of a gun that can walk with the angels! Enjoy one today!
4. StingrayII Sapphire, Taso eliminator barrel, Star venturi bolt, acrylic stopper.
5. Stingray II Ice, acrylic stopper, otherwise stock.
6. Pair of Stingray II black stock markers.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 09:49 PM #2
desktopjockey

M3 Sniper picture

Guess I ought to attach a picture. Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m3sniper.jpg (18.9 KB, 242 views)
4. StingrayII Sapphire, Taso eliminator barrel, Star venturi bolt, acrylic stopper.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:05 PM #3
M3_Sniper

You got that Right.. Its an awesome gun, I tested it out all last week.. and finally getting mine tomorrow.. I had the Regular spyder and was about to upgrade it all.. but luckly the Back Dragun Sniper cam across in time. Its a very sensetive and accurate gun, I couldnt believe it for $250, I was amazed and quickly order one. I'm just a rookie at this.. but learning fast.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:47 AM #4
graham

it needs a halo for that 15bps full auto
Old 04-04-2002, 08:10 AM #5
time2kil
futbol ftw

the gun looks great, I can't wait till mine gets here, but what's so "Sniper" about this gun?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:41 AM #6
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Quote:
...but what's so "Sniper" about this gun?
nothing but the name my friend
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-04-2002, 01:33 PM #7
desktopjockey

'Bout the Halo

I agree about the Halo hopper. Maybe I was just lucky, but I actually got the 15 round rate of fire in Auto mode before a ball broke, and I couldn't tell you how many balls fired successfully except that it looked like a stream of paint and my wife was pissed that I got her Acura all blue!.

Before I sink the kinda $$ required for a HALO, I'll let the judges decide the fate of it in court between Brass Eagle and Paintball Inc. and other companies.
Old 04-04-2002, 02:16 PM #8
time2kil
futbol ftw

you should shoot at trees and bunkers, not the wife's Acura, HeHe...
Old 04-04-2002, 03:17 PM #9
graham

for god's sake don't shoot the wife
Old 04-04-2002, 08:24 PM #10
desktopjockey

If she hadn't run behind the acura . . .

I always keep the game fair - She gets the Dragun, I get the Tippmann (I'm a better shot!)
Old 04-07-2002, 09:04 PM #11
desktopjockey

abracadabra1:
Quote:
Actually, the M3 Sniper has all of the upgrades that the E2 does not come with like the stiffer springs, aluminum trigger, better regulator, etc standard. That's what the "horses mouth" says anyway.
Old 04-07-2002, 09:13 PM #12
TexasPaintball
Smurf

My friend is getting one soon. I wanted to no wut upgrades he should put on it.

Winning by a inch or by a mile winning is winning. Quote from fast and the Furious
Old 04-07-2002, 10:33 PM #13
Ov3rmind
Bandwidth Serial Killer

Quote:
abracadabra1:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, the M3 Sniper has all of the upgrades that the E2 does not come with like the stiffer springs, aluminum trigger, better regulator, etc standard. That's what the "horses mouth" says anyway.
Good choice of upgrades, but it still doesn't make it any more of a "sniper" (although I'm one of those people who doesn't think there's snipers in paintball anyway. Unless of course, for scenario games, but I'm a speedball man. Plus, this gun looks a little flashy for woodball). Perhaps a nice barrel and low pressure operation might justify it's name.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:42 PM #14
Frostacular
Go Godzilla!

Nitrogen not Nitrous
-ACI Gas-Through Grip
-32 degrees clear stickies
-Werm's new Undertow Bolt
Old 04-09-2002, 06:18 AM #15
desktopjockey

Ok Frosty :)

You're right, Nitrogen, not Nitrous. It's an old habbit from my auto tech days. Sorry.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:16 AM #16
time2kil
futbol ftw

lol, This guy i usually play with always calls it nitrous...pisses me off...i cringe my teeth everytime i hear it..