PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-03-2002, 08:37 PM #1
CrashTestJimbo

has been a member for 10 years
Florida Driver's License laws

I have a small problem. I turn 16 on the 19th of April. I didn't get my permit until the 25th of last April. Florida law says you have to hold your permit for 12 months before you can get the real deal. Well, normally I wouldn't mind waiting the extra 6 days, but prom is the 20th, and I really wanted to be able to drive myself. My question is does anyone know if you have to hold it for 12 calander months, or for 365 days. If it was 12 calander months, I could get it in time. I plan on calling the DMV tomorrow, but they're closed right now. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 08:58 PM #2
Spyder SKS
Anti-M&M Forces Commander

sorry chum, its 12 months, 365 days. it really depends on your parents and if they will let you drive by yourself. I too actually have been driving on a restricted license, and it wont be fully legal for me to drive alone until next Tuesday, as Arkansas only requires six months.

On the back of you're license it should have a list of you're restirctions and provisions. if it does, look and see when they expire.

RIPPER COCKER FOR SALE. JUST $325
Old 04-03-2002, 09:06 PM #3
CrashTestJimbo

-pull- *bang*

Nice, you shot another one down.

lol, not sure why, but that struck me as funny.

Hmm, I guess I'll have to figure out some other genius scheme to get my license 6 friggin days early. Maybe I can bribe the instructor. Maybe we can work out some system of "roll over" leap years. Maybe I'll just steal the car.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:08 PM #4
Chemmy
Banned

Maybe you could just rent a limo.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:16 PM #5
CrashTestJimbo

I thought about it, but neither me or my date are big on stuff like that. Oh well, looks like I will.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:26 PM #6
Spyder SKS

Ask yourself how well you drive, and if you're parents would let you. You still may be able to, but there are some risks.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 PM #7
CrashTestJimbo

Personally, I think I am a good driver. I know everyone thinks they are a good driver, but in my own opinion, I think I am a little ahead of the game.

As much as I want to drive, and I think I am a good driver, I don't think I would be comfortable driving without my license, because I would have no insurance. Even though I think I am a good driver, if I hit someone my parents could be sued (the car is in their name) and they could lose the stuff they have worked hard for, and I don't know if I could deal with knowing that I took that away from them for one night of fun. I guess I'll stick to the limo.

Also, I'm sure their will be cops all over the place, and if I were to get caught without a license, I wouldn't be able to get mine until I was 18. The risks out weigh the benefits.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:01 PM #8
Spyder SKS

damn, they really stick it to you there. here its only like 3 extra months.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:10 PM #9
CrashTestJimbo

Ya, we get it in the rear here. All it is here is old people, and tourists. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait my 3 more weeks like a good boy, then all bets are off. At least by not driving, I can drink.
Old 04-04-2002, 12:37 PM #10
SGT BiGGiE

damn,whened they change it to a year?,oh well,i've had my permit since like 98 or 99,just its been suspended,last i knew only had to have it for 6 months,ohh well,them laws dont affect me anyway
Old 04-04-2002, 02:40 PM #11
CrashTestJimbo

lol, it was changed a while back. It went into effect 10-01-00. What did you do to get a permit suspended?
Old 04-04-2002, 03:20 PM #12
SGT BiGGiE

dropped out of school,and aint worried about paying the frigin 25 til i find a job,and when i do have the money i alway need something for paintball,ohh well,hopeing to get in at dairy down here to make some money.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:28 PM #13
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

you think thats bad... In NJ at 17 you get a resticted liscense (no more than 2 people in the car if they arent family), and can only drive between 5 Am and 11Pm... At 18 you get your REAL liscense... 16 is the permit... I luckily got my FULL liscense at 17, but all my freinds got stiffed. Anyway, you guys dont have it so ruff there...
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 04-04-2002, 07:18 PM #14
CrashTestJimbo

I know it could be worse here, but it could be better. One of the Dakotas is 15 for the real deal. I just called and made my apointment this afternoon. Three weeks from today. Hell Ya!
Old 04-04-2002, 07:44 PM #15
PBWannaBe
R3dm4n

Pa just changed theres to if u were born in 86 or after u have to hold ur permit for 1 full year......thankfully for me i was not and i can go for my Junior Liscense June 5 right before school lets out for the summer......i already have a car so im set....but ya the only way u can drive after 11pm and before 5am is if you have a job and in pa you can have as many people as seatbelts in your car........
Old 04-04-2002, 07:54 PM #16
CrashTestJimbo

In my town, if you ever do get caught driving after curfew (no one ever does) all they do is give you a warning the first time. My car could barely hold as many people as there is seat belts for, so that's not a problem. And, I already have a car. Now all I need is a time machine...
Old 04-04-2002, 09:59 PM #17
Spyder SKS

they actually changed the law here to a one very similar in NC. Currently, and until June or July, you can get your permit at 14, and then get a full one at 16 as long as you had 6 months restricted. In my case I got my lisence only a few weeks before my car and birthday, so thats why its like it is. Anyway, coming in july or whenever, you have to be 16 to get a permit, have a restricted lisence after six months until you're 18, and if you get a ticket you go back to a permit.

Old 04-05-2002, 01:32 PM #18
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

OMG 14 is way too young to drive... Hell i think 16 is too young...
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 04-05-2002, 04:50 PM #19
shift

Here you can get your permit after you take driver's ed and are 15. Then you have to have it for three months and be 16 to get your liscense. I got my liscense about 2 months ago. We have that stupid no driving after 11 or before 5 law too. But as far as restrictions go, thats the only one. Yeah my car can barely hold 2 people in the backseat so i dont think the seatbelt law really makes a difference in my case. Its generally accepted that more than 5 people in my corolla just doesnt work. But pretty soon the backseat is going to go to drop some weight and because i dont like taking people everywhere anyway.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:36 PM #20
WakaWaka11

u guys lucky, ny's curfew is at 9
Old 04-06-2002, 06:05 PM #21
golfer
IMAREALTUNERLOL

In Wisconsin:

Pass Drivers Ed In The Classroom
15.5 years of age can get temps
take "Behind the wheel" (9-40 min sessions with instructor)
at least 16 years of age before you get ur license
9 mo. of restricted license I.E. 1 person non family member ETC.

no one follows that rule!