PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-02-2002, 06:48 PM #1
Voodoo

has been a member for 10 years
How do I lessen the BD kick?

Thanks for all the posts on this marker, they really helped a lot. Although I think the whole LP thing is more of a quest than it is a solid upgrade.

I personally think lightening the kick on this thing would improve matters a lot. There are often times when you're trying to shoot someone with only half their head exposed, and a lighter kick would concentrate the shot grouping.

Any ideas? Will a lighter bolt do the trick?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2002, 02:54 AM #2
Nerobro

Nerobro is a Supporting Member
A lighter hammer may help. but I woudlnt' worry about it much. your gun has less recriprocating weight than a cocker...

Omnipotence ain't all it's cracked up to be.......
Old 04-03-2002, 08:07 AM #3
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

I think the only thing that would lessen the kick of the BD would to get a large nitro tank.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-03-2002, 08:27 AM #4
abracadabra1
Proto Fabulous

Although, I have moved from a HP BD (850psi) to a LP BD (260psi) and noticed a pretty big difference in the kick. The LP BD is much easier to keep steady and doesn't have much of a kick; it's actually quite nice

Unfortunately, the marker shoots at a very low velocity at 260psi, but remarkably, cycles perfectly without any problems. In order to run at a decent velocity, the input pressure must be raised to ~410psi. This is the operating pressure where I find my gun to me the most consistent ~270fps. At 410psi there is still a pretty noticeable kick. In fact, at 410 psi, it's hard to tell whether or not the kick has been reduced from the stock setup. Although I'm sure it has, it still feels like the gun has considerable kickback.

Running LP will reduce the kick in your BD, at least slightly. Don't expect, however, to eliminate kick altogether. There will still be a pretty good kick on the gun. Your best bet is to hold on to your gun as tightly as possible so as to counteract the kick.
Techna Finger Job Style Trigger, CP Dust Black 12" Pro Barrel, CP Dust Black Twist Lock Feedneck, STD Industries Proto LPR, Orange SAM Proto bolt with Tophat Mod, Proto Low Pressure Bolt Rear Cap, Tadao M3 software, Hybrid Red Lady Grips, Black CP Black Razor Drop, Pure Energy 72ci 4500psi HP Peanut tank, Red Halo B with V35
Old 04-03-2002, 10:19 AM #5
cohiba
decrepit perpetual noobie

abra, I think if you had a stock BD to compare it too, you would realize how lessened the kick is, even at ~400psi. I don't think a spring-operated blowback will ever achieve the same kickless operation of some electros, but I'm not sure that some kick isn't a good thing.

On mine for instance--I think it might actually be helping me to shoot the gun faster. Sometimes (I'm still fine-tuning my technique) I can get into a groove where just the slight rocking motion of the gun is making it fire--I'm pretty much just keeping my finger still...

And yes, LP is more of an endless quest than a final destination. But DAMN it's a fun journey!
Blue Black Dragun #1: Freak with 12" Black TD, AA Vigilante, Snap-Back N-Bolt, Taso Turbo Valve & Pin, Maddman Springs, Bob Long LP VA + LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico 2K, ShockTech DF, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover

Blue Black Dragun #2: Black CP 10", MACDev Gladiator, 32 Deg Turbo Valve, ShockTech Delrin Bolt, ShockTech LPC, CheckIt Trigger, Rico Shell, KAPP DoveTail DZ, CP On/Off, CrossFire 47/3K, RASE cover
Black Dragun FAQ
Old 04-03-2002, 10:40 AM #6
Voodoo

What exactly causes the kick? The only two things I can think of is the bolt moving forward and then backward, and then the paintball leaving the gun at forward velocity, which obviously is a constant at 280 fps and we can't do anything about that except turn the gun down, screw that! Any other contributors you can think of?
Old 04-03-2002, 12:28 PM #7
bob
Banned

I believe the kick is from the striker slaming into the valve. I have noticed if you put a soft striker spring in the kick is greatly lowered. This is why I don't get how a LP spyder type gun is suposed to have lower kick. Most of the time people end up running stiffer than stock springs in their LP guns, which should rase the kick.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:10 PM #8
Voodoo

How about the actual physical weight of the bolt?

What would be the lightest one I can swap into my BD without any custom machining?

And can I replace the striker with something light?

Last, if I put in a soft spring, won't I have to turn the reg up and be less gas efficient in the process?
Old 04-03-2002, 01:19 PM #9
bob
Banned

1. I'm guessing that a solid delrin or nylon bolt would be pretty light.

2. I don't believe any strikers are made besides stock.

3. It matters what your current operating pressure is. Also to make up for the lighter striker spring you could toss in a softer valve spring. If you could balance it right there shouldn't be a change in pressure.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:25 PM #10
bob
Banned

I do notice alot of kick, it is hard for me to get a tight grouping because of this. When I'm not playing I can get a pretty good grip and that solves the problem there, but when I play speedball sometimes I don't get the chance to get a real good grip. I havn't played using a lighter spring in, but if you just put it in there is a noticable difference. It is even noticable when you dry fire.

I don't think the ball leaving the gun causes kick because then all guns would have the same kick.

Last edited by bob : 04-03-2002 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:56 PM #11
DKSolidus
Your Mom's Hott!!!

First of all the kick is from the striker (hammer). When the sear lets go of it, it hits the valve really hard and that causes the forword kick. The air from the valve blows the striker and bolt back, which causes the kick back. The ball coming out of the marker would never make it kick, take the Matrix for instance, it has virtually no kick, and it shoots a ball just like the BD. The stock bolt believe it or not is the best bolt for LP or anything for that matter, besides the AKA Lightning bolt. What you have to do is take the Venturi out of the bolt and make the front of it ball face friendly. the reason for taking the venturi out is simple, more air flow and less weight.if you need more help go here http://www.ottersccustoms.com/boltmod.html. I put a trigger job on my gun and got an aluminum trigger, it's soo short, that the kick makes it shoot again and again, like rapid fire. i actually had to leghthen the pull.