Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-31-2002, 04:06 PM #1
gonzo222

has been a member for 10 years
Unhappy viking problem....

Hi guys:

I have a wierd problem that I just noticed with my viking. Whenever I shoot really long strings in rapid succession the light in the back will flash red and then I chop a ball. Even with a brand new battery. I put a new battery in yesterday and today it was already blinking red. The only guess I can make is that whenever I'm not shooting the gun I have to take the battery out. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2002, 04:32 PM #2
timebomb
RAZALIFE.COM

timebomb is a Supporting Member
timebomb is a founding member
timebomb works for a Paintball manufacturer
timebomb donated to help Peyton Trent
Just make sure you leave your gun off. I left mine on overnight by accident and by the morning it was blinking red every time... one red blink every once in a while is fine.. and I've noticed no problems when it does blink red. Also, get a hirise if you're chopping, and make sure that you have a good revo w/ an x-board and jmj paddle.

Mike
Old 03-31-2002, 06:36 PM #3
gonzo222

I have a Halo so I doubt that feeding is an issue. And I always make sure the gun is off before I store it. This is really pissing me off.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:42 PM #4
timebomb
RAZALIFE.COM

timebomb is a Supporting Member
timebomb is a founding member
timebomb works for a Paintball manufacturer
timebomb donated to help Peyton Trent
Because you own <insert hopper here> doesn't mean it couldn't be the problem. Try it out with different hoppers, shooting long strings of paint.

Mike
Old 03-31-2002, 06:49 PM #5
Reciprocity

new battery doesnt != good battery

I highly suggest getting a good rechargable. I suggest "plainview 9.6v" and there special recharger. I use a cheap radioshack charger on it and its fine, but to get the max out of it you need the special charge, which happens to be cheap as well. Use google to find where they are sold. That is whay I use in my Excan and can easily shoot 5k+(10k+ on Viking) without a charge and it charges to 9.6v. I could have probably got closer to 10k but I didnt want to push my luck another full weekend. The problem with Normal batteries you never know if they are good unless you have a tester. And you cant trust those testers on the battery package. I have bought brand new batteries and had them go dead in 10 mins. I have been using rechargables for almost a year now with no problems. I just top them off and I got a cheap tester from Radioshack to make sure they are topped off. You will save yourself an azzload of money.
Excal #200 with New Board and New LED Tray.
Shocktech Rail Drop Forward.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 03-31-2002, 06:54 PM #6
gonzo222

THe fact that it always happens when the light blinks red leads me to believe that the problem is with the gun not the hopper. I'll give the guys over at AKA a call tomorrow and see if there is any advice they can give me. I'll try some new batteries too, if it cotinues though I'm gonna need to get the gun checked out.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:01 PM #7
Sully
What Would Charon Do?

When the light is green, and then flashes red and then back to green, it is an indication that the battery voltage dropped below a pre-set voltage. Perhaps your battery is on the cusp of becoming to low to use it, and shooting a long string drains it enough for the marker to malfunction.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:02 AM #8
gonzo222

Well it was a brand new battery.....i just hope that i don't have a bad ciruit board or something.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:30 AM #9
Reciprocity

uh.. "!=" means "does not equal", sorry I should have been more clear. You dont know how long they have been on the shelves and sometimes they are just bad. Dont use store bought batterys, you are only asking for headaches and they cost to much. A good rechargable will cost $8 and a charger will cost another $8 and will last you a year or more. And you never have to guess. A good charge should get you 10k shoots or more. You can charge them 500-1000 times and often they get beter with age. As in they charge higher and last a bit longer as they get older. I have put almost 200k shots through my Excal and every problem I have had has been directly related to a low battery. The Excal takes amout 2x as much juice per shoot due to having 2 solenoids instead of one, so you should alot beter chances. Oh and this is a digital board so it is highly unlikely that it would partially work, it either works or it does nothing. A solenoid could be bad, but I highly doubt it. 99 out of 100 times its the batteries.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 04-01-2002, 12:41 AM #10
gonzo222

well I just finished ordering some new plainview 9.6v batteries. Lets see how they work.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:12 AM #11
Reciprocity

Did you get the special charger for it as well? If you didnt, I suggest getting a cheap radioshack charger and battery tester.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 04-01-2002, 11:19 AM #12
gonzo222

I got he special charger. It was only 10 bucks. The only bad thing is that it takes 8 hours to recharge the battery.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:29 AM #13
Reciprocity

Quote:
I got he special charger. It was only 10 bucks. The only bad thing is that it takes 8 hours to recharge the battery.
Thats not the bad thing.. thats the good thing. Most NiMH Rechargables take 15 hours to charge from dead. Your battery will never be lower then 80% unless you leave your gun on over night so it will only take you 2-3 hours to top it off. If you shoot 2-3 cases a weekend, you could top it off once every other week. But to be safe, I would top it off every weekend before you play. With that charger, I wouldnt be surprised if you got 16k shots per full charge. The only thing you have to worry about is drastically over charging. That will shorten the life of the battery. Thats why I suggest a radioshack tester. Charge it good once and see what the charger says, then charge it to that point every other time. That battery will last you 1k charges if you do that.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 04-01-2002, 01:03 PM #14
saiyanpride1869

saiyanpride1869 is a Supporting Member
Those Plainview 9.6V batteries are awesome, I use them in my Warp, and they ROCK!

I am using the JAVA branded ones, but they are the same thing.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=507344
Old 04-01-2002, 04:51 PM #15
Styles *****ley
GREY POWER

Styles *****ley is a Supporting Member
I have had problems with electronic guns before, and all sources pointed to a bad battery. After replacing the battery a few times over, then completely going over the gun, I found that the entire package of batteries I had was bad. These were new.

So, if you have such a problem best bet is to try another battery, out of a different lot, and a different brand before you get crazy with the marker.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:23 AM #16
gonzo222

Well I played all day on sunday with my new batteries. Those things rock!!! Not one voltage drop all day! I did however out shoot my HALO hopper. Which means that i will probably have to change those batteries soon. Anyone have any idea as to when the upgrades for the HALO will be released?