Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-08-2002, 03:05 PM #1
saiyanpride1894

saiyanpride1894 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Viking Vs Excalibur

For all you people who has been graced with opportunity to handle both the Viking and the Excalibur.

Without $ being an option, what is the real deal between the two. I.E. performance, acuracy, tragectory, balance, consistancy, etc....etc.

Excluding the laws of physics & primarliy based on actual experience - Thanx fellas -
Lapco Greyspirit #345
Old 03-08-2002, 10:38 PM #2
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
We'll know more after practice Sunday. They'll be 2 or 3 of them on the field.

Dan
Old 03-09-2002, 01:43 PM #3
ballbusters86

Thanks dan.

Also, how is that video coming along? Since i take it you havent gotten the video yet, do you notice any differences between how the ex. and viking shoot?

thanks
Old 03-09-2002, 06:22 PM #4
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
Calin is a Supporting Member
Calin donated to help Peyton Trent
Calin supports Bob Gurnsey
I held and shot the viking today and I have played with an excal in the past. the only real difference that I could feel is that the viking is an open bolt and hte excal is a closed. And that isn't tosmething you can really feel. I didn't get to shoot paint throught hte viking but from what AKA, Eileen and her husband said.

"the viking is just has less range, less accuracy when compared to the excalibur"

THats a direct quote from the staff at AKA.

Truly "ignorant" people are those who call others "ignorant, misinformed, uninformed" and are the same people that have lost an argument.

Typos happen.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:46 PM #5
ballbusters86

I just want to know if that is true. Because that could somewhat be coming from a marketing perspective, if they say that, some people will go ahead and spend the extra cash for the "better range and accuracy" Thats why i was asking Dan, because i am pretty sure he owns both, and i wanted to know if he felt any differences.
Old 03-10-2002, 12:57 AM #6
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
That is true we should ask Dan. But I personally think that if you ask him on the boards and ask him at the open his answered might be skewed a little. Since we have so many physics professors on the forum he might just want to avoid the senseless argueing that would result. As for Eileen and her husband I believe they own both. Since they own the Company I'm sure they have shot, felt and seen both of them side by side.

Truly "ignorant" people are those who call others "ignorant, misinformed, uninformed" and are the same people that have lost an argument.

Typos happen.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:35 AM #7
Calin

Calin is a Moderator
very understandable. I was just repeating what the owners said and the staff said about the two.

Typos happen.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:05 AM #8
Yochinaman
Gun Gigolo

Yochinaman is a founding member
It's all marketing IMO. Just like how SmartParts HAS to advertise the shocker as longer range and more accurate than the Impulse. If they didn't, then they would have to discontinue the more expensive shocker. AKA has to do the same or they'll eat their own profits. Why sell a cheaper gun when you can sell a more expensive one and get more money? I don't know if AKA truly believes in it's own claims. It's marketing and it's a do or die type market. Viking vs. Excal hrm....Impulse vs. Shocker... hrm...

Nobody can convince me that any well tuned and taken care of gun will shoot better than any other. It's all in the hands of the user.

Just my 2 yen.

Yochi.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:37 AM #9
MuffinButt

Remember, it's about what costs more, it's what has a greater profit margin.

Assume:
Shockers go for $1000 (imaginary) but SP makes only $50 off of it

Impulses go for $500 and make $100 off of it.

They're obviously going to push the Impulse due to the higher profit margin and the popularity within the community.

Either way...closed bolt, open bolt, longer range, more accurate... when i'm playing on a 120 ft speedball court and i'm shooting so many paintballs that the sponsors start to worry about their budget, accuracy has a bit of a back seat.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:50 PM #10
Auctionjunkie!
PbN's G-Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is a Mega Moderator
Auctionjunkie! is a Supporting Member
Auctionjunkie! is BST Legit
Auctionjunkie! is a Paintball photographer
Auctionjunkie! is playing at Living Legends VII
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Auctionjunkie!
We'll know more after practice Sunday. They'll be 2 or 3 of them on the field.

Dan
The Vikings worked pretty much flawlessly. There was some trouble with some sand getting around the bolt but once he stopped putting his full guppy on the ground before he loaded it into his hopper there weren't any more problems. I shot some video of them playing and I'll try to get it online this week. We were playing at an indoor air ball field and the Vikings were shooting darts at 265 fps. Everyone felt the range and accuracy was pretty even. We didn't field any Excaliburs, only Vikings and Merlins.

Dan
Old 03-12-2002, 09:09 AM #11
Sgt.Bojangles

So, its looks like we have an answer, they are both pretty even. The only thing warranting the buying of an excalibur over a viking, would be the fact that it is closed bolt(which makes a difference for some people).
Old 03-12-2002, 12:27 PM #12
ballbusters86

Yeah, thats almost all i wanted to know. Ill post some info once i get my viking.. hopefully soon!
Old 03-12-2002, 12:30 PM #13
Yochinaman
Gun Gigolo

Yochinaman is a founding member
Wait wait wait. Auctionjunkie! weren't you going to do some bench mounted tests?

Yochi.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:46 PM #14
ballbusters86

I asked him about those. He said he wouldnt be able to do them till after this weekend, they have a tourney sunday, and are preparing for it.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:57 AM #15
abott
Bombtrack

I own a shocker and an imulse, my impulse runs at a lower pressure and has a much nicer barrel, but my shocker still shoots noticably farther. I dont know if that is due to close bolt operation or not, but this is just my observation. Oh yeah, I only shoot paint that matches my barrel, so its not that either.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:29 PM #16
__2UnREal__

My impressions;
Although I have not ran paint through either gun, I do know however, that the vikings have more kick to them than excals. So this could make them less accurate while playing but on a benchmount, it should be exactly the same.
Old 03-19-2002, 02:47 PM #17
Chappy78
I'm your Huckleberry;)

This is a test reply, I just typed a long, detailed, and informative reply and it f**kin didn't work, I'm not retyping it again if this doesn't go through.

WMD Gold to Black Fade DM4
100% Custom E. F. PM5,
Matrix Mafia #24

"If I was a monkey, I'd be the baddest monkey in the jungle."
Old 03-19-2002, 03:17 PM #18
Chappy78
I'm your Huckleberry;)

I swear to God, I've logged in 3 times and this is pissing me off, I just retyped that message and hit send and it said that I'm not logged on, It's like I can only be on for 5 min at a time or something, hell with this I give up. I did have some very valid points to make but since this forum is screwed I can't make them.

WMD Gold to Black Fade DM4
100% Custom E. F. PM5,
Matrix Mafia #24

"If I was a monkey, I'd be the baddest monkey in the jungle."
Old 03-19-2002, 03:42 PM #19
Reciprocity

Make sure you have cookies on when you log in. Also you might want to type your message into note pad then login and post, that way you can save it so you dont have to type it again. What is probably happening is your typing for so long that your session is timing out. Usually your loging info would be kept in a cookie and if your session times out it gets the info from the cookie. But you might have cookies turned off so then it says your loged out even when you havnt loged out or left the site.
Excal #200 with New Board and New LED Tray.
Shocktech Rail Drop Forward.
68/45 Angel AIR.
www.walkonkings.com
Old 03-20-2002, 08:06 AM #20
ballbusters86

Thats really not to far though, so it chould have just been the chrono speed up a few feet.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:25 PM #21
RONIN 23
PBX Paintball

AKA is in Big Trouble :)

I shoot a PBX Excalibur and I have shot paint through a Viking this weekend (finally) and I'll tell you this in no uncertain term.....

AKA will not be able to keep up with the DEMAND for their markers.

More and more people now are singing the praise and advocating to all they know that the Excalibur is the BOMB! Former owners of other electros pnuematic markers who have switched over are universally (or at the very least, predominantly) pleased with their decision.

Now enter a high quality marker that boast durability, efficiency and a higher ROF at a lower price point....WOW.

The "A" Family definitely is in big trouble.