Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2007, 10:27 PM #64
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

^^^ exactly my previous point tyhat i made, after all the testing i have done, i have come to 3 barrels that are by look and shot the smoothest, Dye UL's Warped sports Lucky 15's, and Lcuky's unitech, i was at a practice with 689's of each with 3 bags of x ball silver. shot 1/3 of the bag in each barrel just so itr wasnt a difference between the bags, shot at a 6 inch wide tree from50 yards away with the UL (btw we had the gun(pm6) set up on a table so no accuracy issues) and shot at the tree, shot 100 rounds 2 missed the 6 inch spread. btw consistancy was +/- 3. grabbed lucky 15, none missed more of a verticle spray tho, unitech 1 missed, pretty good numbers if u ask me. later right after testing we did a blow test, rolled right thru the UL(6 balls), 3 got stuck and were easily blown with lucky 15, and all got stuck with unitech but were blown out easily
Lite_em_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 03:41 PM #65
kb58

About spiral porting, try this. Take a raw egg, representing a paintball, and spin it on the table. The shell trys to spin, but the liquid inside doesn't so it stops quickly. Now try the same thing with a hardboiled egg. It spins like crazy. It's just another point about the spiral holes being useless.

My feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...readid=1034191
kb58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 PM #66
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

SpyderPride is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lite_em_up- so in conclusion, you had some that rolled through, some that almost rolled though, and some that fit perfectly... and they all got about the same accuracy. All top of the line barrels that should be as accurate as anything too. I'm sure you mean to say 50 feet, not 50 yards.

kb58- spiral porting does not spin the ball at all. It is just a gimmick. And for barrels that actually have rifling, the ball probably stops spinning about 10-20 feet after it leaves the barrel, it if even gets spinning at all.

When a bullet spins, it is creating a gyro effect that keeps it pointed in one direction. If it didn't spin, it would tumble. Since paintballs are only mostly round and not uniform solids, keeping an axis pointing directly forward will not effect anything. In other words, one side is just as good as the other (this is not the case for a bullet).

ICD Customer Service = excellent
SpyderPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM #67
Nepb2
ODB

i hope all of you people know that AGD (airgun designs makers of automags,e-mags,etc..) did a test proving that anything over 11 inches is just putting drag on the ball. That is why they only put 11 inch barrels on their guns, because 11 inches is guiding it, anything after that is putting drag on the ball when it travels through the barrel. I tested two barrels on my ION. The stock 12" barrel, and a Dye UL 14" barrel. With the stock barrel i had a pretty good bore match with crap heat, and i used a .689 for my UL back. The stock barrel shot more accurate than the 14" ul barrel. So if you are going to say **** like oh 16 inches is more accurate u are wrong unless u can prove me and AGD wrong. 12" is closer to 11'' that 14" is, just incase all you people are like oh well you werent even using an 11 inch barrel. Pretty close to it. So IMO 12" freaks, pepper stickz, UL's and every other barrel out there will be extremely accurate, as long as your velocity does not have the spread of a Sypder or sumthin (+12/-13,+6/-12). You also need a good Bore matchup whichwill increase your Air Efficiency a little bit and increase your accuracy.
Nepb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:59 PM #68
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepb2 View Post
i hope all of you people know that AGD (airgun designs makers of automags,e-mags,etc..) did a test proving that anything over 11 inches is just putting drag on the ball. That is why they only put 11 inch barrels on their guns, because 11 inches is guiding it, anything after that is putting drag on the ball when it travels through the barrel. I tested two barrels on my ION. The stock 12" barrel, and a Dye UL 14" barrel. With the stock barrel i had a pretty good bore match with crap heat, and i used a .689 for my UL back. The stock barrel shot more accurate than the 14" ul barrel. So if you are going to say **** like oh 16 inches is more accurate u are wrong unless u can prove me and AGD wrong. 12" is closer to 11'' that 14" is, just incase all you people are like oh well you werent even using an 11 inch barrel. Pretty close to it. So IMO 12" freaks, pepper stickz, UL's and every other barrel out there will be extremely accurate, as long as your velocity does not have the spread of a Sypder or sumthin (+12/-13,+6/-12). You also need a good Bore matchup whichwill increase your Air Efficiency a little bit and increase your accuracy.
not totally true but its close
btw it was 50 yards away but it was a thick tree
Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 PM #69
Nepb2
ODB

and what isnt true about it??
Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 PM #70
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
and what isnt true about it??
Its sort of hard to believe that a stock Ion barrel was more accurate than a Dye Ultralite. Are you sure the UL wasn't dirty?

The drag imposed on the ball after 11" will slow it down, but not necessarily make it less accurate. You may have to turn up your HPR to get back the velocity that you are losing to friction in the barrel, which will cause slightly worse efficiency (but not much), since you are effectively using more air to acheive the same velocity.

I'm not arguing with your first-hand experience, but I've always noticed that all decent barrels 12" to 16" have about the same accuracy.

Old 02-03-2007, 02:07 PM #71
Nepb2
ODB

they were both clean, and i had more straight shots with the ion stock barrel.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:13 PM #72
SpyderPride
Mechanical Engineer

Quote:
they were both clean, and i had more straight shots with the ion stock barrel.
That's pretty interesting, but I'm thinking it may be fairly uncommon.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 PM #73
Nepb2
ODB

it was interesting, i was actually amazed myself. im actually in the process of finding the exact right drill bit to drill out the first 6 inches of the ion stock barrel to the bore size of a freak back with no inserts so i can put inserts in it for a lil more control & anccuracy, and air efficiency. I dont think the bore sizes were the same when i tested anyone know the exact size of a stock ion barrel, pretty sure its .689 not sure
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 PM #74
ktour99

[quote=Lite_em_up;30836862]^^^ exactly my previous point tyhat i made, after all the testing i have done, i have come to 3 barrels that are by look and shot the smoothest, Dye UL's Warped sports Lucky 15's, and Lcuky's unitech, i was at a practice with 689's of each with 3 bags of x ball silver. shot 1/3 of the bag in each barrel just so itr wasnt a difference between the bags, shot at a 6 inch wide tree from50 yards away with the UL (btw we had the gun(pm6) set up on a table so no accuracy issues) and shot at the tree, shot 100 rounds 2 missed the 6 inch spread. btw consistancy was +/- 3. grabbed lucky 15, none missed more of a verticle spray tho, unitech 1 missed, pretty good numbers if u ask me. later right after testing we did a blow test, rolled right thru the UL(6 balls), 3 got stuck and were easily blown with lucky 15, and all got stuck with unitech but were blown out easily[/QUO

I doesn't matter what paint with what barrel strapped to the most stable fixure on the planet, no way you had a 6 inch spread from 50 yards. Just do a quick search on the web and read a few barrel reviews (not from pbnation) where they shoot a couple popular barrels head to head. These are people who do this all the time with professional equipment measuring the temp, humdity, barometric pressure, taking measures to block off wind and most of their barrels have a bigger spread at 50 FEET. A 6 inch spread would be consider excellent at 30 feet and unheard of at 75 feet. At 80 feet you're talking a spread of almost two feet. But you had a 6 inch spread from 150 feet.? You don't find many tests that go much further than 80 feet because the balls are so unbelieveable inaccurate. Unless you've discovered that paintballs have a 99% target line recovery rate at 150 feet I think something's wrong with your little test. Paintballs just don't fly that straight for that far. According to your data I can just go buy any high end barrel, not even worry about matching the paint and achieve a 99% 6 inch spread at 150 feet?
ktour99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:55 PM #75
Nepb2
ODB

i doubt he actually meant 50 yards, prolly meant 50 feet
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM #76
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

[quote=ktour99;31405549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_em_up View Post
^^^ exactly my previous point tyhat i made, after all the testing i have done, i have come to 3 barrels that are by look and shot the smoothest, Dye UL's Warped sports Lucky 15's, and Lcuky's unitech, i was at a practice with 689's of each with 3 bags of x ball silver. shot 1/3 of the bag in each barrel just so itr wasnt a difference between the bags, shot at a 6 inch wide tree from50 yards away with the UL (btw we had the gun(pm6) set up on a table so no accuracy issues) and shot at the tree, shot 100 rounds 2 missed the 6 inch spread. btw consistancy was +/- 3. grabbed lucky 15, none missed more of a verticle spray tho, unitech 1 missed, pretty good numbers if u ask me. later right after testing we did a blow test, rolled right thru the UL(6 balls), 3 got stuck and were easily blown with lucky 15, and all got stuck with unitech but were blown out easily[/QUO

I doesn't matter what paint with what barrel strapped to the most stable fixure on the planet, no way you had a 6 inch spread from 50 yards. Just do a quick search on the web and read a few barrel reviews (not from pbnation) where they shoot a couple popular barrels head to head. These are people who do this all the time with professional equipment measuring the temp, humdity, barometric pressure, taking measures to block off wind and most of their barrels have a bigger spread at 50 FEET. A 6 inch spread would be consider excellent at 30 feet and unheard of at 75 feet. At 80 feet you're talking a spread of almost two feet. But you had a 6 inch spread from 150 feet.? You don't find many tests that go much further than 80 feet because the balls are so unbelieveable inaccurate. Unless you've discovered that paintballs have a 99% target line recovery rate at 150 feet I think something's wrong with your little test. Paintballs just don't fly that straight for that far. According to your data I can just go buy any high end barrel, not even worry about matching the paint and achieve a 99% 6 inch spread at 150 feet?
well i guess i didnt explain, what i mean with 6 inch spread of paint was 6 inches from the center most shot, yes it was 50 yaards, the tree was about 60 feet wide and we had the gun bolted to the table, like i said there were a few missed balls that werent part of the spray, and we werent raining on the tree we took 1 shot at a time.

btw i had a typo i just noticed the tree was 60 inches wide not 6, the spray was 6 from the center
Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 AM #77
Georgetown

Types of paintball barrels

Hello guys, I found this guide that enumerates five types of paintball barrels; ceramic barrels seem promising. What do you think? Here's the link: http://pickyguide.com/sports_and_rec...els_guide.html
Georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM #78
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

that ^^^^ is relitivley true, cceramics are very good barrels, but so is a UL that is aluminum, what it all comes downt to is the honing, UL's are the highest honed barrel and this is coming from a kid that is sponsored by smart
parts, i have to shoot the freak kit, and it shoots good. Somthing tho i have to argue against the article, from personal testing only, aluminum and stainless steal shoot relitivley the same, at least with its initial years of use, maybe after the first 2 years the stainless would still be very smooth and the aluminum start lossing its top notch quality buti do not know, that would all depend on how well u take ccare of your barrel and how much wear is put on it, my conclusion is as faloows;

UL best honed (with the paint fitting well shgoots darts, too small paint will burst to big not as consistant)

Freak with SS inserts shootts the same as aluminum inserts
Old 03-16-2007, 02:21 PM #79
jakes78

jakes78 plays in the PSP
jakes78 is an NCPA player
jakes78 plays in the APPA D3 division
one thing said before is that 11 in is perfect and 16 puts to much drag. By drag i think you are talking about decrease of velocity. The one thing i dont follow is that velosity is measured after the ball leaves the barrel so if its lower just turn it up, right? so that is pointless. I'm just asking, im a 16 year old guy with an AA barrel trying to get educated. 99% of what yall are saying makes perfect sense to me and i thank yall for the information. But I have one question, is there a noticable difference in performance between a 2peice barrel and a single peice. Again thanks, a couple years ago i would have just picked the cheapest and best looking barrel. lol
jakes78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:20 AM #80
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

accuracy wise probably not, technically u will be more accurate witha one piec because 2 pieces have a tendancy to no line up right causing inaccuracy or worse...barrel breaks. thats why i prefer the lucky 15 kit, which i need to sell actually so if anyone wants it hit me up, over any other kit, its 3 1 piece barrels, instead of insers which slide and move and need to be alligned, i am forced to use inserts now because of smartparts and my team but hey w/e lucky 15 is my fav kit and UL'sd are my number 1 choice for a single barrel
Old 03-18-2007, 12:33 AM #81
Fishsticks
He who dares, Wins

Fishsticks is a founding member
Fishsticks donated to help Peyton Trent
Fishsticks supports Bob Gurnsey
Fishsticks supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgetown View Post
Hello guys, I found this guide that enumerates five types of paintball barrels; ceramic barrels seem promising. What do you think? Here's the link: http://pickyguide.com/sports_and_rec...els_guide.html
That guide is very outdated. No major manufacturer even makes Brass barrels anymore (in fact, Palmers was the only one if I remember correctly). The same goes for Stainless Steel (SS). Also, not all two-piece barrels are composed of an SS back and an aluminum front. I suggest you read around this forum a bit instead, since it provides more up to date information.
This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be. - James Stockdale
Fishsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:47 PM #82
ciscob
EGO/DM

wow, just reading this thread gets me confused. Just starting in the paintball world. I was told that a flat barrel will give you longer distance but not necessarily accuracy. I am purchasing a tippmann a5. I want a barrel that when I aim and shoot, the ball won't be going somewhere else. :-)
ciscob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 AM #83
Fishsticks
He who dares, Wins

Fishsticks is a founding member
Fishsticks donated to help Peyton Trent
Fishsticks supports Bob Gurnsey
Fishsticks supports our troops
That's the flatline barrel made by Tippman. It is designed so that the ball will have backspin when it comes out of the barrel. Think of a tennis ball with a backspin put on it--it would go a farther distance than one without said spin.

There are numerous 'cons' to the flatline. If you have a barrel break, the barrel is a nightmare until you get off the field and take it off of your gun to clean it. Also, within the extra range from the backspin, the ball is traveling at such a slow velocity that by the time it reaches your target that it would not break.

Go for a CP 1-piece with a large boresize or something relatively inexpensive. You should be fine.
This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be. - James Stockdale

Last edited by Fishsticks : 04-02-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Fishsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:33 PM #84
KLipneR
lets use the same avatar

KLipneR is an NCPA player
KLipneR plays in the APPA D5 division
I'm sorry if this bugs anyone, but on the topic of only the shell spinning and not the paint inside; IMHO, I think that the paint inside will spin because paint is thick and more "sticky" so it will stick to the sides more. Also, I think that even just the shell spinning would improve accuracy. This is because the spinning shell would guide the entire setup of shell/paint. Just not as much as paint and shell spinning. But i still think the paint spins too. IMHO.
Again, sry if this post ticks people off.
KLipneR is offline   Reply With Quote