PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-17-2004, 03:07 PM #22
eagle107

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooddogg
If a longer barrel is causing more friction or drag.. then by time it gets to the chrono its going slower. So you'll end up adjusting the air going into the gun or the spring to shoot the ball faster to compensate.

So it might be more understandable to say that a longer barrel might cause the ball to travel slower and be less efficient.

However, I'd bet that it's so minimal that it would be hard to even test the difference between a 18" barrel and a 12" barrel.

i totally agree and the difference may only be 5 fps

i really do not know were i am going with this but it sound good

with the force we put behind the ball it should nolonger be round any more, and it may not even be the same bore as well

think about it
200psi hitting a gelliton ball,
that got to like hitting a water balloon with a teniss rackit

more langth = more velocity = more distorted ball = more drag
this leads to ball brakes

so a gun may be able to shoot 280 with 200psi and 175psi
with the 200psi having more ball brakes

at the same time we all really do not use true 12", 14", 16" barrels we use 2 peace barrels that only have 6" to 8"back that is one bore then step back to a larger bore for the rest of the barrel, so the drag should not be as great but if you had a all one size bore for a 16" it may have a lot more drag

in the end i think i have something here but it may just be that i am insane or something i really do not know
eagle107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2004, 03:38 PM #23
MalibuMoses
In$+inl<$

yeah i agree. But the way to test distance is to shoot something!

People think its the balls they're using are the problem for their sucky accuracy. half true, but whether you use zap, dusk, etc., it'll be no difference and youll see no difference in any of them. you should just check for any jamed ball guts in your gun after taking 5 or more shots, that's all you have to do. and make a target out of an old plank and spray paint a bullseye mark on it if you want to check the accuracy.

But in my own opinion, it's not the accuracy that's the most important thing about a barrel, it's the slickness of a barrel thats the main thing you have to worry about(How easily the paintball shoots out of the barrel).
since, what's the point of getting a barrel that shoots dead strait, but balls pop inside and get jamed about every shot you take. if you dont believe me, then hit the field with that kind of barrel on your gun and ill just laugh after you get bunkered after the first minute.

so it's not always the type of barrel that makes it all better, its the slickness that counts. And after you test the barrel, dont always blame it if the balls always pops, check to see if you got the caliber size for you barrel.
MalibuMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:50 AM #24
eagle107

remember the old smart part's AA
they had a Teflon coat now if that's not slick i do not know what is

but they did not do this to the freak
that's weird
eagle107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:39 AM #25
phelix

Quote:
Originally posted by minimag47
They have been shovelling that spiral porting makes the ball spin bull**** for years and newbies have been eating it up like candy. Saying something as stupid as spiral porting makes the ball spin would be like saying that if you took a smooth bore rifle and drilled spiral porting into it it would make the bullet spin.
what about the actual rifling in smart parts barrels? are you sure the smarts parts team isn't talking about that? i have no experience with newer aas progressives and teardrops, but the old progressive on my mag actually has rifling, as in there's a tiny spiral groove cut into the first few inches of the barrel...
phelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:22 PM #26
joe"pyscho"
Banned

www.bradyspaintball.com has a video on how balls are made. Check it out
joe"pyscho" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:54 PM #27
hulkhogan

1) How long will a box of decent grade paint last, if unopened at home?

2) How long will that same box last if it is opened, but let sit there?
Reloader B - nitro duck 68/3k
hulkhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM #28
dahli.llama

Quote:
Originally posted by hulkhogan
1) How long will a box of decent grade paint last, if unopened at home?

2) How long will that same box last if it is opened, but let sit there?
Paint usually is only good for a few weeks under normal conditions. If the paint is stored in a cool dry room and is sealed, then it can last a bit longer.

But moisture and heat can cause dimples. If it's too dry, the shells get brittle.

Usually it's a good idea to not use paint after about a month. I usually just use old paint for goofing around, and testing. And good paint for games and accuracy and such.
dahli.llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM #29
NismoSkyZ
Trix

Quote:
Originally posted by OwNaGe
i have a question though i have been playing for a long time now close to 4 years prolly and i was wondering why most of the pros use a 16 inch barrel seriously i used a 16 inch boomstick on my black dragon along time ago and it wasnt any better than the stock 8 in barrel and they had the same bore using the same paint....so that brought me to to the cunclusion that length doesnt matter unless u play air ball....in air ball i like to use a 14 inch barrel to push the tip into my bunker but...from expereince with my old Cocker u can use a 10 inch freak front or a 14 inch freak front and still get the same results...but im gonna stick with the 14 since i play only airball
Pro players and airballers use the longer barrel to rub up agaist bunkers, putting more of themselves and their gun behind the bunker. If you have a 10 in barrel, you cant push the bunker back all the way, and you just shoot into the bunker....understand?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM #30
NismoSkyZ
Trix

Quote:
Originally posted by SirRod
Question:

Putting a freak kit together from parts bought off PBN, is there any problems with parts fitting together, like buy a back from this one and a front from this one.

I expect all the same barrel types are interchangable, but is this true?

Thanks in advance for you answers>
You should not have a problem with fronts. IE aa front in a freak back will fit, and all inserts will fit in the aa and the freak. You need to make sure the back will fit your gun, and it is threaded correctly. I don't think they make tippman threading, but they do make tippman to cocker conversions...i would get one of these if you want a freak.....understand?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:47 PM #31
Eyecare

Eyecare is a Supporting Member
Some good posts and some not so good ones.
  • There are a few keys to accuracy. These include:
    o Consistent velocity (Affected mostly by paintball quality as well as consistency of air quantity delivered.)
    o Stable gun platform/aim.
  • A certain barrel length is important to permit the ball to get to speed. Most authors believe the ideal length is somewhere between 6-8"
  • The first ports on your gun will permit expanding gas to escape so the effective length of your barrel (for bringing your paintball up to a certain velocity) is only going to be the distance between the front of the bolt and somewhere close to your first port.
  • The more ports your gun has the quieter it's sound signature will tend to be; the less it has, the noiser. The same for longer vs shorter barrels.
  • There may be a benefit to having less porting when you play in the rain.
  • Longer barrels won't in themselves increase accuracy, they just make it easier to aim. (Also can be useful on some speedball setups to push bunkers in.)
  • The concept that spinning paintballs will make them more accurate is ludicrous. In order for spinning paintballs to be accurate you'll need consistent size/shape/weight paintballs as well as aerodynamic paintballs. Paintballs are neither. Plus, paintballs are fluid filled. Ever try spinning a raw egg?
  • Proper ball to barrel fit can help efficiency and accuracy provided you're using decent quality paintballs. If you're using poor quality (or old) paintballs consider going for a looser fit as you may avoid some barrel breaks by doing so. A looser fit is also important when you play in cold weather.

Pics of my guns

Doc's SP Patent FAQ and related article
Eyecare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:29 PM #32
bamapballer123
bama baller 4 life

so u need at least 6 - 8in of no porting but how many inches of porting after that ?
is less porting better? wat will less porting help
how many inches of no porting does the stiffi switch kit have is it good in all the talked about areas (efficiency ,accuracy etc...)?
bamapballer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:52 AM #33
jdeathjester
gunfighter

8 good inches of acceleration distance. after that it turns out to be preference. if you want some quiet, then 4-6in of ported barrel are good. if you don't care, then 2in or so will do.

if you get a longer barrel, it's a little easier to tell where it is pointing; making it easier to tell where you will hit. if you shoot a lot with your current set-up, then this doesn't matter as much. i know damn well where my 13" barrel is pointing. if i changed to 16" i would just have to get used to it all over again.

my g7

my feedback

my angel lcd for sale. AIM me with offers if interested.
jdeathjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 AM #34
AlienAbductor

paint to barrel match not important

check the Planet Eclipse EGO forum; with the title above, was news to me

Enjoy life, you only have one shot, don't screw it up.

my feedback;http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...=alienabductor
AlienAbductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 PM #35
eyedrop (Banned)
dont talk to me

eyedrop is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwNaGe
i have a question though i have been playing for a long time now close to 4 years prolly and i was wondering why most of the pros use a 16 inch barrel seriously i used a 16 inch boomstick on my black dragon along time ago and it wasnt any better than the stock 8 in barrel and they had the same bore using the same paint....so that brought me to to the cunclusion that length doesnt matter unless u play air ball....in air ball i like to use a 14 inch barrel to push the tip into my bunker but...from expereince with my old Cocker u can use a 10 inch freak front or a 14 inch freak front and still get the same results...but im gonna stick with the 14 since i play only airball

i just wanted to say something not that pros dont use longer barrels for their different fields of accuracy, but they also use long barrels mainly to push into the side of air bunkers so that your hopper and tank are mostly out of view but the barrel will stick out making allot less of a target.

Last edited by eyedrop : 12-30-2005 at 11:14 AM.
eyedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:25 PM #36
element34575
b r o p

element34575 is playing at Living Legends III
element34575 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
element34575 supports Team VICIOUS
element34575 is for the Gunfight
what is the best bore size? ive heard 6.91, what is the overall best for a shocker? (i know the lenth by now ....14 in)
element34575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:26 PM #37
Slow Moving Target

the barrel issue seems like it would be easy to test. Im brand new here, hell im still waiting for the FedEx man to bring me my gun, but this seems like it would be easy to test. strap a gun down and shoot at a target. switch barrels and see what happens. everyone has an opinion but no one seems to be able to show any evidence. if someone out there has a good consistent gun with several barrels could they try this out? im sure there are people out there who could do this in a half-way scientific manor.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:12 PM #38
Carnagge

one of the only reasons pros' use longer barrels is so they can manipulate bunkers with there tips.

Perfect example is a guy ina dorito trying to avoid being pinched out yet still firing with the gun basically pushed intot he bunker.

I had a 18inch dye ultralight when i played on airball fields exclusively. Loved it. Then i had to beat someone with it and well it got bent :-(
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:24 PM #39
kleivonen (Banned)
A-S-M-C

kleivonen is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Mike
there was an article in apg that was done by air gun designs called spinning paintballs. it came down to that a paintball cannot be spun in a barrle by the porting, but even if it was it would only be the shell spinnging not the actuall mass inside the shell, the mass would remain in position as the shell spins, meaning no increased accuracy.

i know this is an extremely old thread, but have you ever spun and egg, stoppedit, then immediatly let go? the egg starts spinning again because the stuff inside is still spinning... i would assume the same thing would happen with a paintball
kleivonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:23 PM #40
Sumguy21
░▒▓

What's the difference in how brass eagle paint would perform to how Diablo paint would perform (assuming both have same bore size)?

Would fragibity be the only difference? What other ways does paintballs affect the accuracy besides paint/bore match?
██████████████████
██████████████████
██████████████████
Sumguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:51 PM #41
devlspawn

The egg analogy is perfect. As someone mentioned, yes, if you spin a raw egg and stop it, it will start spinning again which means the central mass was moving somewhat, but not enough to create a steadying gyro effect. This is proven by the fact that you can achieve the gyro effect on a hard boiled egg by spinning it and it will stand up on its end balanced perfectly on the table, you cannot get a raw egg to do this. Therefore a paintball will never obtain this resistance to change in direction that can be gained by a solid object.
devlspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM #42
positive_ion

for the record no barrel i repeat no barrel affects a guns gas efficiency.your gun should put the same amount of air out the gun every time you shoot.so many noobs are wanting a more efficient barrel!!!!just get the correct bore size and the barrel will be fine.that is sometimes why some people who have the same barrel argue that it sucks or not. one may have the bore mathced perfectly and not the other.the friction of the paintball and the barrel affect the velocity so you may not get the distance if you bore is too tight or you may not have accuracy if it it too loose(duh).
paint tends to get tacky when there is moisture in the air and that makes it have more friction against the barrel.

Last edited by positive_ion : 06-22-2006 at 09:02 AM.
positive_ion is offline   Reply With Quote