Predator
10+

Predator is a Supporting Member
Predator is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Predator has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Useful Information about Paint/barrels

Blow Test:

Ok, heres what you do, its called the "blow Test". take your barrel in your hand, get one of the paintballs you are using and put it into the barrel, tilt it forward, if it rolls down the barrel or out of the barrel, its too large of a bore, and that means the paint is to small. if you put it in and you blow your brains out its too big, if you blow it out easy, its still a little to small, if you can blow it out but it takes a few breaths, its too big. a good match occurs when you can blow briskly and the ball comes out with some force.

What makes a good barrel GOOD:

people still debate on this topic, but here are a few things you should know. Length IS important for they type of performance you want. if you want a quiet barrel you want lots of porting, now this uses some of the gas surrounding the ball, thus it doesnt travel as far, same for long barrels 16 inchs and up. they are long, causing friction, which slows the ball down. If you use Low Pressure you want little porting so the gas that is propeling the ball is not being wasted through the poritng. As far as accuracy, the smoother and the straighter the barrel is the more accurate the barrel will be. BUT you need a good paint match for this to hold true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg predator rating.jpg (18.3 KB, 6492 views)
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2002, 12:00 AM #2
Tag_Scott

Tag_Scott is a founding member
This is an exerpt from the FAQ on the BOA website in my sig to help peopl pick a good barrel to suit their needs

What's the best barrel?
That depends on what you a looking to achieve. Most importantly you want a good paint barrel match. That will allow the other factors to be most effective.

Range: Depends on velocity not the barrel except in the case of back spin barrels.

Accuracy: The internal surface and finishing technique is most important so all our barrels are simliar in accuracy but longer barrels are easier to aim and therefore appear more accurate.

Quietness: You'll want a longer barrel and/or lots of porting to let the air to expand fully.

Gas Effiency: Shorter barrels (unless too short typically under 8 inches) and/or less porting excel in effiency

Hop this helps. the link to our site is below in my sig
Tag_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 04:06 PM #3
Predator
10+

Predator is a Supporting Member
Predator is a founding member
Predator has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Thanks,

guys i have personally talked to a lot of people at BOA, and they know their stuff, Thanks Tag_Scott!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:38 PM #4
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Don't pick up paint off of the ground! It will most likely bust in your gun.
Make sure your barrel is clean. Any dirt inside, could affect the ball travel by affeting air current giving the ball a spin. Or even worse the ball could break on the dirt.
Listen to the warnings on the cases of paint...keep out of humidity. Store in a cool-warm climate. Keep out of sunlight..etc.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:49 AM #5
The_Joker

like Tag_Scott posted, long barrels do not increase accuracy except in the fact that for the first few shots they are easier to aim.
The biggest thing with barrels is paint\bore match. Having the bore size of the paintball and of the barrel being the same is a huge advantage and it will help with consistency, efficiency and accuracy about as much or more as anything else will.
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:13 AM #6
chanman201

you guys say that paint/barrel matching is the most important things. i have heard claims saying people like to use bigger bores (etc. Bob Long). The claims state that it improves efficientcy. I mean...a pro lik bob long cant be wronge can he?
chanman201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 07:05 AM #7
MasterColin03
Banned

i found a really nice site but pbnation wont let me type it in so i have to direct u threw a site i made so ehre it is it has like comparison or barrles and movies with different barrels check it out
deleted spam link - mod
MasterColin03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:51 AM #8
OwNaGe
Player Hater

i have a question though i have been playing for a long time now close to 4 years prolly and i was wondering why most of the pros use a 16 inch barrel seriously i used a 16 inch boomstick on my black dragon along time ago and it wasnt any better than the stock 8 in barrel and they had the same bore using the same paint....so that brought me to to the cunclusion that length doesnt matter unless u play air ball....in air ball i like to use a 14 inch barrel to push the tip into my bunker but...from expereince with my old Cocker u can use a 10 inch freak front or a 14 inch freak front and still get the same results...but im gonna stick with the 14 since i play only airball

"Originally posted by 818: if they named the phone fryed chicken the ******s would be all over it"

-Status-
OwNaGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 PM #9
TiPB

VELOCITY is the most important factor in accuracy. if you have consistant velocity from shot to shot your accuracy will dramatically improve. For example if you bolted down your gun and shot against a wall 75 feet away you would see a vertical line form on the wall. The line would be because the bigger balls have more friction and come out slower, while the smaller balls have less friction so the would come out faster. Anything that helps the the velocity remain constant makes you more accurate.

Sam Lotfy
President
Titanium Paintball
TiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 12:08 PM #10
papaintballer15
Ya, thats me at your base

Annual Supporting Member
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends V
papaintballer15 is playing at Living Legends VII
papaintballer15 supports Bob Gurnsey
papaintballer15 posts videos on PbNation
papaintballer15 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
papaintballer15 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
it takes 8-10" for the ball to get upto speed... 12 and 14" barrels are the best bc that extra 2-4 inches controls how the ball will go and puts the distance, accuracy, and put the ball where it should be.. theres a big review on it on ottercustoms
Old 08-09-2003, 01:36 PM #11
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
spiral porting lets the air behind the ball out so it will keep spinning, which allows for accuracy, and precision... but to much will cause the ball not to perform like it should. The All american is right at the line of having too much porting, if they cut it back like 1 inch... it would be super accurate... straight is muzzel break desing.. barrels usually dont have much on them in straight... the cermic does its all it has... makes it quiet... forces more air from the front of the ball so the ball wont be slowed down...
Old 08-22-2003, 11:22 AM #12
Lil Mike
Audentes Fortuna Juva

Lil Mike is a Supporting Member
Lil Mike plays in the PSP
Lil Mike plays in the APPA D4 division
there was an article in apg that was done by air gun designs called spinning paintballs. it came down to that a paintball cannot be spun in a barrle by the porting, but even if it was it would only be the shell spinnging not the actuall mass inside the shell, the mass would remain in position as the shell spins, meaning no increased accuracy.

OI For Life

My Old Feedback
Lil Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 AM #13
papaintballer15

Annual Supporting Member
i highly respect AGD, best company i think well maybe that may be because i have a automag...
Old 10-09-2003, 09:45 AM #14
minimag47
Punch it hoe bag!

minimag47 is a Supporting Member
yeah theres another reason evervyone should hate smart parts. They have been shovelling that spiral porting makes the ball spin bull**** for years and newbies have been eating it up like candy. Saying something as stupid as spiral porting makes the ball spin would be like saying that if you took a smooth bore rifle and drilled spiral porting into it it would make the bullet spin. I hope a metoer lands on the smart parts sales team for spewing out that crap.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:00 PM #15
brianhoopajoo
I prefer PUMP

Heres some useful info. Links to Tom Kayes tech tips.

How to perform a Ball DROP TEST, and what it can do for you...
http://www.automags.org/resource/tec..._testing.shtml

How to correctly determine shot pattern size/tightness...
http://www.automags.org/resource/tec...05_stats.shtml

ALSO- a few notes on barrel efficiency...
http://www.automags.org/resource/tec...rrel_eff.shtml
Old 12-20-2003, 09:18 PM #16
phiend
IV:XX

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil Mike
there was an article in apg that was done by air gun designs called spinning paintballs. it came down to that a paintball cannot be spun in a barrle by the porting, but even if it was it would only be the shell spinnging not the actuall mass inside the shell, the mass would remain in position as the shell spins, meaning no increased accuracy.
ever watch a triple load washer at the laundry mat?
the ones that are like on thier side like dryers? how the outside
spins then the inside(clothes, water, detergent) does too?

you know the seam(ie agitator) in a paintball? if the shell is spinning then the fill is going to be spinning atleast some.
it might not be on a perfect axis to increase accuracy, but it
will *affect* accuracy in some way.
phiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:15 AM #17
JP1995

not arguing but I am trying to learn...... if rifling or spiral porting will only spin the shell and not help the paint fly mre accuratley then how do back spin barrells work..... would that design simply spin a back spin on the shell and not the mass? But I have seen a backspin barrel chunk out some balls a loooong ways.
JP1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:19 PM #18
SWE_joni

Backspin

Using backspin to shoot further only requires the shell to spin, since its an aerodynamic effect that gives it lift. The reason that is not enough with rifling is that the idea is to give spin to get a gyro effect. If there is little mass spinning, the gyro effect will be minimal.
SWE_joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:21 AM #19
SirRod
God Made Paintball for me

SirRod is a Supporting Member
SirRod donated to help Peyton Trent
SirRod helped look for balloons
Question:

Putting a freak kit together from parts bought off PBN, is there any problems with parts fitting together, like buy a back from this one and a front from this one.

I expect all the same barrel types are interchangable, but is this true?

Thanks in advance for you answers>

NPPL PRO 04
Pray for our Men&Women in Service!
SirRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:15 AM #20
dread head
Meng

dread head supports Cereal Killerz 2
dread head owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
dread head owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dread head supports Sherwood Forest
hey so i have a quick question, since it takes approx 8 to 10 inch to excelarate a paintball, so i assume you would want no porting through the first 8 to 10 inches of your barrel correct?
there for wouldnt a barrel that had the first 8 to 10 inches non ported and the rest ported be the best (if comparing to a barrel with similar smoothness and length)
there if the inside smoothness was simlar wouldnt a barrel like the pipe or the scepter (barrel the less portin, and all near the end) be a lot better than a barrel like a dye ultralight or othere barrel which have porting all the way down the tip of the barrel (i mean like if you get a 2 peice ultralight barrel no matter what the tip length the entried tip has porting all the way down)

make sense?

am i assuming right?

my other question is since i assume you want the first 8 to 10 inches of the barrel non ported, how many inches after that with porting in them could you have with out slowing the ball down at all?

dose hat make sense.

well thanks guys.

...|_ _|...

Ninja Geo 1/Closer/Rapper
Dm7 Old Skool Cockers
Mint condish dust purple with dust black parts 06 EGO (for sale)
My Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1517365
dread head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:25 PM #21
Wooddogg

Nice information guys!

But the next person that says the barrel effects distance gets slapped (with the exception of backspin barrels).

If a longer barrel is causing more friction or drag.. then by time it gets to the chrono its going slower. So you'll end up adjusting the air going into the gun or the spring to shoot the ball faster to compensate.

So it might be more understandable to say that a longer barrel might cause the ball to travel slower and be less efficient.

However, I'd bet that it's so minimal that it would be hard to even test the difference between a 18" barrel and a 12" barrel.

Just my opinion on that last part.
Wooddogg is offline   Reply With Quote