PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-01-2001, 02:52 PM #1
showtimesparkler

has been a member for 10 years
small leak in my excalibur?

I'm hearing a very faint hiss of air from inside the gun body when the gun is gassed up.

How much air could i be losing throught this over the course of a day?

What is it?
How do i make it stop?

Thank You
Old 07-01-2001, 04:46 PM #2
Sparrow

leaking gun?????

What, your Excal is leaking?

Is it coming from the solenoid area of the gun? Take off the little plates just above the grip frame, and is the leak seem to be coming from there. If so, one of the solenoids is leaking. It could be a small problem with just the o-rings not sealing, or the solenoid could be bad.

I had this problems with my Excalibur when I got it, and after talking to AKA they sent me a new soleniod that day, I just had to send them the bad one back.

If you are going to take the solenoids off the gun be ready to catch the o-rings that are under them, they are very small and there are 3 per solenoid (I think).

You may want to let one of the techs on this board talk you through it, if you are not comfortable with that. If not, just call AKA tomorrow.

And as far as how much gas it leaks. My didn't leak that much, and I was able to play all day with the gun sooting OK, it was just annoying.

jt
Old 07-02-2001, 01:12 PM #3
showtimesparkler

Yes, it seems to be coming from the solenoid area.
I'm pretty sure when I gas it up, i don't hear it...but if i fire a couple of shots, i can hear the little gurgle. It's very small and it doesn't leak much, like you said, just annoying.
Assuming it's not a major problem and the o-rings just aren't sealing...what can i do to make them seal all the way? oil? new o-rings?

thanks
Old 07-02-2001, 06:51 PM #4
Sparrow

I am no Excalibur tech, so some of the others may be able to advise better, and it may not even be the solenoid leaking. If it is, you need to get it replaced. There is no way for you to fix that. Have you taken off the grip frame yet? I did on mine to determine if it was the front or the back solenoid.

Watch out for the pins that hold the grip in place. Mine come out pretty easily and I almost lost one. Once the grip frame is off and the gun needs to be gassed up, listen for the leak. If you cant easily tell if its the front or back. Slide a piece of paper in the cracks between the two solenoids and between the frame and the solenoids, this should help to determine where the leak is coming from.

If you can determine one or the other, de-gas the gun all the way. As you know, it still holds some air after you take the tank off.

I would take off the solenoid you think it is. VERY IMPORTANT, there will be three VERY small o-rings under the soleniod, do not loose them. I do not think they are in the o-ring kit if you bought one. Look these o-rings over and see if they were pinched or something. You will notice some gun lube in this area. You will need to lube this a little to get good seals when you reinstall the soleniod. AKA recommends (of course) there lube.

My leak was pretty pronounced. I could easily hear it if I were sitting still and there was not much action around me. Maybe yours is less and maybe its not a solenoid at all.

I hope that helps,

jt
Old 07-02-2001, 10:55 PM #5
mezpo

i dont think this is your problem but i thought id share anyway. if your lpr is too high it could cause either the solenoid or the oring between the solenoid and the body to leak.
Old 07-03-2001, 04:38 PM #6
showtimesparkler

Question

Thanks for all this help guys...

It's the rear solenoid that's leaking. I took it off and checked the o-rings under it... they all seem to be good as far as i can tell, no cuts or nicks or anything.

Any other ideas?

If it's the lpr, how do i go about lowering it?
I have the tool kit but i haven't even really taken a look at it
Old 07-03-2001, 06:32 PM #7
Sparrow

This is the only problem I have had with my Excal, so if it's not the solenoid then you will need to get help from someone else. Was it leaking from that solenoid when you had the grip off the gun when it was gassed up?

If you know it was, then it probably is the solenoid. I only say this because this is what EXACTLY happend to me.

jt
Old 07-11-2001, 10:12 AM #8
grinch
here we go........

If its the cilonoid then just mail it to them and they,ll replace it..If you have to change it. its super easy so dont panic..
it,ll most likely be the back silonoid. they have the new ones in stock right now and their pretty fast about reutrning them .
or if you want send the whole down and they,ll switch it as well.
with my excalibur it will leak if my LPR is to low as well .
from the sound of it its the noid though. the new ones dont break so once you replace it you,ll have zero problems.
balling is our biss!