PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-14-2002, 01:02 PM #22
elTwitcho

has been a member for 10 years
That's not the only way at all. Imagine this for instance, you take a transfer port on a gun like the impulse, and you reduce it's diameter to about 1/2 of a millimeter. Suddenly gas is extremely constricted and at 180psi you simply cannot put out enough force to propel a ball at a decent speed since the flow is so constricted. We'll assume perhaps that it takes 2 miiliseconds for "x" volume of air at 180 psi to get to the ball with this transfer port. Now let's assume we were to increase that transfer port to 9 millimeters. Suddenly flow would be alot better. The same "x" volume of air, at 180 psi would now hit the ball in a period of about 1 millisecond. You're getting much more force for the same volume and pressure when you use a more efficient marker. That is how valves like the tornado valve are much more efficient than valves like a shocker valve. All the bolt does is allow air to flow more freely so that less is wasted. An interesting thing to note, is that when you turn up your trinity it increases your velocity even though that shouldn't happen with a fixxed volume paintgun. The reason your velocity goes up is because your transfer port opens more rapidly when the bolt moves faster. You end up having less time with the transfer being half open and wasting air, so you get more velocity using the same pressure and volume.

And I figured all that out on my own too

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2002, 02:12 PM #23
||SPY||

Then why would it be that the Aardvark bolt has a venturi style porting while the stock bolt has a larger three hole opening? AKA moved away from the venturi style bolt because it is a known fact that a venturi bolt restricts air flow. Your theory about flow rates seems to make sense , but I'm fairly certain that there are diminishing returns to increasing the flow rate.

My 2 cents is that Aardvark is COUNTING on the fact that a venturi bolt restricts the flow a bit. This requires a higher pressure in the transfer spool and thus helps increase efficiency. It's the same general principle that the Shocktech sleeve was intended to achieve.

It is possibly the same reason why the short forward dwell times are more air efficient. The accumulator is not allowed to fully vent because of the short 'dwell', which again requires a slightly higher pressure to achieve the same velocity. I would be interested to see what a 12ms Matrix would chrono at by changing the dips alone.

This principle is also a reason why the Trinity increases velocity. When the pressure from the Trinity is too low the gun may still fire, but the accumulator is not fully venting. That is why there is a point where increasing the Trinity wil no longer increase the velocity, it is because the accumulator is now fully venting.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:49 PM #24
elTwitcho

Yeah that's an interesting point about the shorter dwell time and is also why deep down I don't think you'll ever get a fixed volume marker that is especially efficient. Unlike a poppet type design that puts out a solid 180 psi for as long as the valve is open, a fixxed volume valve (like a spool valve) would show more of a dropoff curve in pressure on the ball the longer it was open since the volume of pressurized area would increase .When the valve is closed and pressurized it stores a given pressure inside a fixxed volume (the dump chamber) but once the valve opens instead of pressurizing just a dump chamber, the valve pressurizes the dump chamber, front end of the bolt, and the space behind the ball that increases as the ball moves down the barrel. So if you were to gage the pressure behind the ball in a poppet operated marker you would see a constant pressure behind the ball for the full length of the dwell (ignoring air source recharge rate of course) while with a fixxed volume gun you would see the pressure continually decrease over the length of the dwell time. This in itself is innefficient (at least I believe so) if you just visualize in your head how the pressures are being used between the two different guns. Hopefully I don't have to explain why it's inefficient, but I can if I have to.

Interesting point though SPY, you might be right about the shorter dwell allowing the valve to close before the chamber is completely dumped

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 05-14-2002, 02:51 PM #25
elTwitcho

Maybe aardvark uses a venturi style bolt because he is counting on the decreased flow rate so that combined with the shorter dwell time the valve will not use the entire volume of air contained in it, and thus avoiding the point where the pressure coming from the valve is so low that it's only going to waste? Never considered that

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 05-15-2002, 04:32 PM #26
MackyGOG
MATRIXOWNER.COM AGENT

MackyGOG is a Supporting Member
The venturi design is what GOG came up with when we tried to improve the matrix bolt. Look back in the forums on PBC and you will see a pic by Dr.J of a gold bolt with venturi porting. Our orginal design had 6 hole venturi the final version had 8 holes like you see in the bolt kits today. If you really wanted to see an improvement at the mid portion of the bolt were the shaft begins and contacts the Half moon instead of being flat make that a sloped surface leading to the shaft. To Bad it snaps the Half moon into 2 pieces after about 3000 cycles on the marker. GOG stop trying to improve the bolt after we discovered this slight inconvienence and never recovered.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:18 PM #27
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member
Macky, it wasn't Richmond that shut you down with the bolt sales?

Also, why not just make the stop out of a tough delrin. Derlin don't budge for nobody!

Dave

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Old 05-15-2002, 07:29 PM #28
||SPY||

Finally, a logical use for Delrin in a Matrix bolt.........
Old 05-15-2002, 08:40 PM #29
MackyGOG
MATRIXOWNER.COM AGENT

MackyGOG is a Supporting Member
Nope sure wasn't Dave. We only stopped ourselves. Plus I have a contract with uncle sam to go underwater for 3 months at a time in a long black tube with a snorkel. Kinda hard to keep up with things when your gone.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:06 PM #30
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member
Hmm... off to the drawing boards

Dave

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr