Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-28-2001, 04:59 PM #1
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

C]-[iLDe is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Breech Inserts vs. FREAK set?

Im curious as to how a barrel set with inserts, like the OTP G3 barrel, differs from the FREAK set. I know all breech inserts are supposed to do is prevent roll out, but to some extent that DOES improve consistency with badly matched paint.

IT looks to me as if the FREAK set is just a set of LONG inserts that sit in the barrel, as opposed to the gun breech. How can the freak system promise to match every bore size of paint if the front part never changes size? Isnt that essentially the same concept as breech inserts?

If someone has a comprehensive answer or can point me to a page that has some 411 on this, i'd appreciate it. Im looking to buy a barrel set next week and would like to make a good, economical choice.

C]-[iLDe

Having difficulty deciphering my extensive vocabulary? Click HERE
Old 06-28-2001, 07:20 PM #2
Shmokey

The concept of a 2 piece barrel, like the freak (All American before that) or boomstick, involves a tight back portion to accelerate the ball and a loose front half to simply act as a muzzle break.

In other words, the front half is a silencer, nothing more. That's why 10" boomsticks shoot just as well as 18", but substantially louder (less porting = less air dissipation). A DYE rep told me that any scratches on the ported section of these barrels has very little, if any, effect on accuracy. So the freak system focuses solely on that acceleration portion - the front part bore is not critical to accuracy/efficiency.

I have a freak system for my cocker. I love the darn thing. It allows me to shoot darts even with dimpled 2 month old Blaze. It shoots through breaks really well, even with Hellfire. My teammate uses one now - he owns a paintball store in Idaho, so it's not like he can't use any other barrel out there. Our other local NPPL team, Exile, uses freaks and swears by them. I sold my boomstick set after using the freak once.

On the other hand, I've never used OTP or any other "insert" barrels, so I can't compare. I'm sure that performance may be similar, but probably not better than the Freak.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:56 AM #3
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
that about sums it up.. but to clarify the dif between a G3 and the freak:
the freak is a full inset meaning that the entire first stage of the barrel is sized to match the paint thus giving you the best consistancy and paint/barrel match. the G3 only has an insert that sits at the beginnig of the barrel.. this basicaly just stops the ball from rolling down the barrel but is not a full stage sizer. so after the insert your basicaly shooting out of a normal sized barrel.

you can clearly see the dif from the pics

Team ESP
Old 06-29-2001, 12:55 PM #4
TheFreak
sUbLiMe

the freak also has the advantage beacuse smartparts makes it which means the freak gets the "award winning" front tips, like the all american and teardrop. That make it very quite.

One time I got bored soo I took off my front piece and shot off the gun with only the backpiece and one insert. it is amazingly loud but pretty accurate. (with front makes it more accurate)
Old 06-30-2001, 01:10 AM #5
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally posted by TheFreak
the freak also has the advantage beacuse smartparts makes it which means the freak gets the "award winning" front tips, like the all american and teardrop. That make it very quite.

One time I got bored soo I took off my front piece and shot off the gun with only the backpiece and one insert. it is amazingly loud but pretty accurate. (with front makes it more accurate)
There are barrels that are just as quiet as the freak. So the freak doesn't get credit for that, because a lot of other things affect noise of a barrel besides a barrel
The reason that it was loud was because there was no porting. If you did the same thing with a boomstick, you'd experience the same thing. Also you said it wasn't accurate, thats because it was like 6 inches long. You need about 10 inches until you don't notice accuracy difference with length.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:20 PM #6
Fratboyjesus
^From Conan O'Brien^

"Also you said it wasn't accurate, thats because it was like 6 inches long. You need about 10 inches until you don't notice accuracy difference with length."

Technically though, that front on the freak is just a big muzzle break. It will make it a little more accurate, but not because its added length, but the fact that it is able to beak up the air turbulence in front of and around the ball. When it comes to the freak, that extra 10 iches or so of barrel doesnt even touch the ball (i believe its .700) so it cant technically even count as being a 10, 14, 16, and ect barrel----its just a 5 inch barrel with a huge muzzle break. That extra 5 inches of barrel that achieves the maximum accuracy on a standard (non freak) 10 inch barrel makes the accuracy difference because the ball is always in contact with the wall of the barrel. See what im saying?